Start by marking “Stupid Sock Creatures: Making Quirky, Lovable Figures from Cast-off Socks” as Want to Read:
Stupid Sock Creatures: Making Quirky, Lovable Figures from Cast-off Socks

Stupid Sock Creatures: Making Quirky, Lovable Figures from Cast-off Socks

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  199 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
John Murphy's sock creations have been featured in such publications as the Washington Post and Readymade magazine. Crafters with a sense of humor, a taste for the weird, wacky, and way-out, and a hunger for the outrageous will find themselves captured by this wildly creative menagerie of sock monsters.

Possessed of irresistible charm, these creatures offer all the inspirat
Published June 1st 2005 by Lark Crafts

To ask other readers questions about Stupid Sock Creatures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stupid Sock Creatures

karen
Apr 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafties, favorites
this is truly one of the best books ever written. i make these like crazy. almost everyone i know has been given one (or more) of these. and sommmmeone steals them from other people before they have even been given so i have to rush and make replacement monsters before birthday and christmas deadlines. ive managed to keep very few for myself, but thats okay because i can always make more.
Altivo Overo
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: humor, sewing
Great for pure amusement, or to brighten up a cloudy day. Not only that, but if you can thread a needle, Murphy's instructions are enough to let you turn old worn out socks into incredibly funny or sad or even pathetic little stuffed critters. I promise it will make you smile at the very least.
Cindy
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arty-crafty, library
I've got a serious stash of funny old socks, just waiting to become sock creatures. Maybe this is the year it happens (lots of new babies in my life this past year! There's motivation for you!!)

There is a lot to love about this book, and not just because it is full of great ideas to turn those old socks into cute and hopefully beloved kids toys! First off, it's a book about sock sculpture, and it is written by a man, who sculpts socks. I live with artists, and I know men do all kinds of womanly
Jessmccoy
Sep 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: crafters
I have to admit, this book caught my eye at the library. And it's fun indeed. I made my own sock creature, and my little sister got about halfway there one on of her own. I like the way that these critters are supposed to look weird. Gives the crafter a lot of creative freedom.

The problem is, now what the heck do I do with an adorable little sock monster? I guess the logical answer is to give it to someone, but I always feel a little bad about giving a gift that's essentially useless. Don't we
Susan
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This gave me so many great ideas I might incorporate a sock creature project into my craft club at the library. I am useless at sewing, and the skill and difficulty required here is such that I'm fairly confident that I could get through a project with no mishaps. The beauty of books like this is that while the completed projects are so quirky and loveable, even a novice can easily grasp the basic framework and go on to improvise on the themes in myriad ways. Not to mention the fact that it's al ...more
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book (the version with accompanying kit) the summer before last when my family was taking a vacation in the Oregon wilderness and I thought it possible that my son might become bored. Little did I know what I was starting. His first sock monster was a stripey, one-eyed, long-eared fellow whom he decided to name "Chigger." I'm not sure exactly how that opened the floodgates to the dozens of subsequent monsters that now fill our home, but the book was inspirational, to say the least. ...more
Brandy
Jun 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great directions, with patterns that are very adaptable so that you're not making the same four creatures in the book over and over. The first half of the book is the basics--how to make arms, tails, ears, necks, etc., that can then be modified in any way you choose.

Inspirational, but I'll probably return it to the library before I actually DO anything with it. Worth keeping in the back of my head for rainy afternoons (like this one), though.
Cheryl
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Folks who like quirky stuff or crafty stuff or both-- and Anne!
Recommended to Cheryl by: my local public library!
Shelves: ddc-700
Love it! Even I (non-crafty person extraordinaire) could follow the instructions, had fun, and created two terrific lovely creatures.

#1 Albert -o? a?

#2 Stella Agnes

And I've promised and waaaaaaaay behind on one more. Wish me luck! They are so cute and quirky. Highly recommended!
Jocelynne Broderick
Apr 30, 2008 rated it liked it
I actually got this with a kit, and it came with some socks and some buttons and stuff. It was fun. But the two that I made were pretty ugly. Not cute-ugly. Ugly-ugly. They have funny lips. He gives good directions, but mostly it's handstitching, which I am not so good at! :) Oh well, I might try them again some day.
Becca
Nov 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts, nonfiction
Who needs sock monkeys? So over them!

These creepy-cute little creatures are just what the doctor ordered. Can't wait to give one as a supposedly well-intentioned gift to a toddler this year at Christmas. I wonder if there will be tears.

See my horribly sad attempt to make one here:
Wendy
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book has patterns for stupid sock creatures (aka sock monsters). Here's what's cool about it: no measuring required, patterns are fast and easy, if you screw up a sock monster it becomes part of its charm. This book is fun and so is making sock monsters. I see many stupid sock creatures in my future.
Emily
Jan 14, 2008 added it
defienetely how i started making my sock moster making thing :]

anybody want a sock monster, btw?
i sell them for $8, and you get it 1-2 weeks after payment~
(email me about it)
(super-toast@sbcglobal.net)
Amanda
Feb 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Great ideas, but a bit too involved for me at this point.
Tatjana
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love this book. My creatures end up looking different, but who cares?
Lori
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who enjoy creating insanely weird and cute objects.
Shelves: petprojects
I love these little creatures more than I should. Viva DIY!
Kate
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft-a-holic
now all I need are a bunch of stupid socks!
Samantha
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is amazing and full of delightful, crazy, and whimsical creatures that are easy enough to make with the instructions.
Pam
Nov 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I don't have the requisite skill to actually make these guys, but it's a very good idea!
April
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crafters
Does this count? I love it it is so simple for thoes who know a bit about sewing.
Tara
Sep 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafting
Hehe very cute I feel kind of weird buying some cool socks just to destroy, er, I mean, CREATE with though...
Krista
Jan 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-find
Love the creatures. I didn't make one so I can't say how the instructions were. They seemed clear with really detailed illustrations. Best part? The Gallery.
Matt McClard
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome! Making these things is a blast. I recommend getting a sewing machine otherwise it will take you a while.
Ying Tswi
Bailey
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sock lovers, creature lovers
GUESS WHAT??? I make sock creatures now! They are really cute! Maybe I will make one for you someday! This book is good for learning how to make them!
Karyn
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
Dumbledore reads knitting patterns, I read craft books...
Cindy
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I cannot wait to start making these wonderful little monsters! Everyone I know will be getting them soon!
Annie
Jun 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crafters with attitude
Shelves: non-fiction, creating
And when you want to make a present for your best friend's housewarming, this is the book you need. They're cute and funny looking and squishy. Who could ask for more?
Toni Guyton
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun book.
Meridee
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is such a funny book--but my sock drawer is full of dull socks. I'll have to hit the thrift store and try some of this sock friends out. Thrift store socks??? Oh dear!
Kim
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book has provided me many hours of fun. The instructions are simple and written with attitude, the illustrations are great and the sock creatures are cute. I can't wait for the second edition.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-Off Socks and Gloves
  • Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt
  • Stray Sock Sewing: Making One of a Kind Creatures from Socks
  • 99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse: Remake, Restyle, Recycle, Renew
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Alternacrafts: 20+ Hi-Style Lo-Budget Projects to Make
  • ReadyMade: How to Make [Almost] Everything: A Do-It-Yourself Primer
  • The Crafter's Companion: Tips, Tales and Patterns from a Community of Creative Minds
  • Witch Craft: Wicked Accessories, Creepy-Cute Toys, Magical Treats, and More!
  • The Craftster Guide to Nifty, Thrifty, and Kitschy Crafts: Fifty Fabulous Projects from the Fifties and Sixties
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99