Start by marking “Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil” as Want to Read:
Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil

Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil

With this book, Liz Greene has taken a major step in the unveiling of the light of reason, so long obscured by those who have interpreted Saturn as a 'malefic' planet and, in doing so, presents a remarkably rich study of the unconscious mind, shedding light on that mysterious, elusive entity that psychology calls the self.

Saturn's darker persona is recognized universally
Published June 1st 1976 by Weiser Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Saturn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saturn

Start your review of Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil
Dejana
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is literally my bible. I read it for the first time when I was in my 20s, and have been re-reading it ever since. I would have given it more starts if I could.
I wish everyone would read it. It is primarily an astrological book, explaining the planet Saturn and it's different positions in signs and houses, but it is easy to read and requires no astro knowledge, except where your Saturn is.
It is amazingly accurate, and especially so in synastry (relationship horoscope).If you have
Ethan
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: advanced Astrologers & Capricorns
Anyone with some basic knowledge of Astrology knows that all the planets have a way of effecting us. Amongst all the planets of our solar system, one of the most notorious for his influence is Saturn, the father of Capricorn (the Goat). For centuries Astrologers agreed upon the idea of Saturn being a planet which heralds only negative influence upon people (fear, restrictions, overbearing caution...).

In this insightful little book, Liz Greene defies this old tradition and digs deep into the
Katey
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: astrology, favorites
I'm not sure if anyone grasps psychological astrology like Liz Greene does. This book (and her others) prove it. I doubt if anyone would even dare to write about Saturn and attempt to surpass this book. It wouldn't be possible. She's brilliant, to say the least.
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended for anyone who fears the Saturn return! Liz Greene's sharp insights, and symbolic emphasis, broaden traditional (re: negative) interpretations of Saturn for a more holistic understanding of how Saturn operates and interacts in our charts. This will definitely be a go-to book for chart interpretations. By the end of the book you have a well developed vocabulary for Saturn, and are easily attuned to its patterning, methods and character.
Ellen
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you are into psychological astrology, this is probably one of the best offerings in that field. This is not easy or light reading, but there are quite a few insights to be found.
Soundscape Lange
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Best book I've found about Saturn.
Lynn Wilson
Mar 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
An excellent description of the deeper meanings of the planet/god saturn when used astrologically. Presumes some prior knowledge.
Melissa
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Liz Greene's surprisingly accessible guide to Saturn in the birthchart. Anyone with a basic knowledge astrology can benefit from her insight.
Aline
I'm blown away about Liz' understanding about astrology and psychology!
This was my first book by her.
Saturn is quite dominant in my chart and this gave me so much more insight into how he functions and behaves in aspects with the other planets.
Jennifer Anguiano
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
It was hard for me to rate this as I've read about Saturn for the last 25 years....so, basically it wasn't all that new to me, but I did find some new insight. I wished Liz Greene would've given some examples and positive suggestions to Saturn placements instead of stating all the hard life situations.
Min
Mar 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: astrology
eye openner...that really answered some of my questions...sometimes I wonder knowing too much is not a good thing...I am too smart for my own good.
Renée
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wanted to enjoy this dark planet mythology but it was too meandering and hetero/gendernormative. Meh.
Nicole Barrett
An arrogant and judgmental writing style

I found the author's writing style to be arrogant and judgmental especially when it comes to Christians and Christianity. I also found it ironic that a book about synthesizing the view of Saturn being a negative planet in Astrology with a new more positive look at Saturn is so quick to dismiss and judge Christians instead of being able to also synthesize Christianity and Astrology which are often at odds with each other. As someone who likes astrology and
Caritas
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
A very negative view of Saturn. Perhaps this was seen as more constructive when it was written, but now it seems needlessly damning. Saturn is a big influencer in my chart and I see it as part of my success in life - hard won sure - but substantial. According to this book I’m statistically (what are these statistics?) most likely to become depressed and commit suicide!! Also the houses are NOT the same as the signs.
Priyadharshni
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eye-opening. Instead of asking you to resign yourself to the impending doom, this book offers helps you to see the opportunities that comes with difficult Saturn placement and aspects in your natal chart and how to integrate that in your Self.
Astralbear13
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book contains some of the most priceless descriptions of Saturn and its alchemy though each zodiac and with each other planet. So thorough and brilliant. Genius in fact!
Erin
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hopelessly dated when it comes to gender and sexuality, but otherwise an invaluable resource if you care about your Saturn placement and especially if you've needed to be talked off a ledge over it.
Michelle Mj
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Wish I'd known about this before my Saturn return. I'm learning Saturn's lessons a little later and this book has been a great help in understanding old mate Saturn. Beautifully written.
M.
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
An entire book about Saturn and its influences and interactions with just about everything else in your chart. Very nice, especially if you, like me, have a peculiar attraction to Saturn.
Colin McPhillamy
When this book was first published in the 1970s it became a best-seller, it really hit the zeitgeist. People would talk about about it at dinner parties in London whilst looking wise with new insight. The message of the book was truly exciting, i.e. that Saturn could be looked at in a positive - or at least a creative - light. In traditional astrology Saturn was the bad guy, the greater malefic, but now suddenly the slow lessons of Saturn; patience, persistence, discipline, could perhaps ...more
Dina
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hello, I have one question about Saturn's position in my own natal chart, and I couldn't find the answer anywhere else, so I hope maybe some of you can help me. I red the book, but my Saturn is in the 6th house in Sagittarius, and in the book there are only explanations for natural signs of the houses, and natural sign of the 6th house is Virgo. And Sagittarius naturally belongs to the 9th house. So do you know how should I interpret my own position? Weather to rely on the signs or houses? Hope ...more
Brian Collins
This is an excellent book especially if anyone wishes to refine their knowledge and skill regarding the planets and their transits. This book looks at the myths and symbols of Saturn in the context of Saturn's position in a chart/horoscope.
It is an accessible, clear, concise and enjoyable read that sheds an interesting perspective on Saturn. It is not just a reference manual but also the type of book that you could read from cover to cover and find interesting nuggets throughout.
rae
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: astrology
this book offered a fresh look at the uses of saturn and its significance in the natal chart through the signs/houses and aspects and in chart comparison. the book was helpful, but heteronormative (like most astrology books, blah) and annoying about gender.

does anyone know where i can find a book on saturn's transits?
Yota
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Greene's matter-of-fact psychological insights can make you want to kill yourself, but they are pretty much always correct. whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Christine Granados
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Liz Greene my guilty pleasure. Love psychological astrology; it's so fun.
Paola
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: astrologia
Liz Greene si occupa di astrologia psicologica con indirizzo junghiano.
Monica
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just skimming through parts of this again. It's more of a reference book.
Brian Sullivan
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found the early history of the Saturn myth a compelling read.
Calantirniel
Jun 13, 2012
Garrett LaLone
Jul 16, 2014
Mental Health and...: Astrology, Relationships and Disability 1 2 Oct 28, 2019 05:56PM

• The Twelve Houses: Introduction to the Houses in Astrological Interpretation
  • Astrology, Karma & Transformation: The Inner Dimensions of the Birth Chart
  • Asteroid Goddesses: The Mythology, Psychology, and Astrology of the Re-Emerging Feminine
  • The Only Way to Learn About Relationships, Vol. 5: Synastry Techniques
  • Astrology for the Soul
  • Aspects in Astrology: A Guide to Understanding Planetary Relationships in the Horoscope
  • The Inner Sky: How to Make Wiser Choices for a More Fulfilling Life
  • Linda Goodman's Sun Signs
  • Astrology, Psychology, and the Four Elements: An Energy Approach to Astrology and Its Use in the Counseling Arts
  • Do You Love Me?: The Astrology of Relationships
  • Traditional Astrology for Today: An Introduction
  • Astrology: Understanding the Birth Chart: A Comprehensive Guide to Classical Interpretation
  • Super Baby Food: Absolutely Everything You Should Know about Feeding Your Baby and Toddler from Starting Solid Foods to Age Three Years
  • The Only Way to Learn Astrology, Volume 3: Horoscope Analysis
  • High on Arrival
  • Listening to Prozac
  • You Can Feel Good Again: Common-Sense Strategies for Releasing Unhappiness and Changing Your Life
  • Sex Signs: Every Woman's Astrological and Psychological Guide to Love, Health, Men and More!
Liz Greene is held in high esteem by astrologers all over the world, professional and non-professional alike. She is a prolific author of books and various publications and has been instrumental in shaping modern psychological astrology.

She holds doctorate degrees in psychology and (as of 2010) in history and is a qualified Jungian analyst. She also holds a diploma in counselling from the Centre