Start by marking “Battle Angel Alita, Volume 02: Tears of an Angel” as Want to Read:
Battle Angel Alita, Volume 02: Tears of an Angel

Battle Angel Alita, Volume 02: Tears of an Angel

(Battle Angel Alita / Gunnm #2)

Alita's mastery of the lethal Panzer Kunst technique may not help her in volume 2 of this popular series. Her worst enemy may be herself.
Published March 10th 2004 by Viz Media (first published February 24th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Battle Angel Alita, Volume 02, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle Angel Alita, Volume 02

Jo
This was a great second installment! Everything seems so much deeper and developed in this one. We are treated to a new character called Yugo, and Alita takes an instant shine to him. I cannot say I'm enjoying his character as yet, but there is definitely still time! I do think that the supporting characters in Alita make Alita's character so much more interesting, and I just love the fight scenes. I love her courage and just how fierce she is. I can't wait to get stuck in to the next installmen ...more
Gianfranco Mancini

Clichès abound here, but second volume of Gunnm/Alita is just far better, deeper and sadder than previous one.
And poor, dreaming Yugo and his backstory are just impossible to forget.

Dennis
An improvement over the first volume thanks to it being a more emotional read.

description

Kishiro lets Alita fall in love with a human being that also happens to be a scrapper who dispossesses cyborgs of their spinal columns to earn money for his move up to Zalem (the city towering above the scrapyard). This way he's asking some tough questions of his heroine, who’s already struggling with her very existence anyway.

description

This second volume offers a much deeper story and successfully walks the fine line between sh
Shannara Petty
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one as much as I liked the first one. Not too sure if I like Yugo all that much what with his flexible moral outlook. Alita is a total bada** though and I love how loyal and fierce she is. The plot was creative and I look forward to seeing what happens.
Scott
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Alita gets a boyfriend! But he has an unsavory side job and when he incurs a bounty, Alita has to make a difficult decision: bring in his head or help him escape and become a fugitive herself. This is the story arc I remember best, probably because it was adapted for the animated production years ago, which I have watched at least a couple times. Much better than the first volume.
Niyura
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Mucho mejor que el primer tomo!!
Marion
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, manga
So, spoiler alert, but in this one, at one point, from a panel to the next, a teenager gets his arm ripped off and his girlfriend cuts off his head to keep him alive. That's a new one.
James Adams
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, sf
While this volume has a deeper story than the first, and the art is just as amazing, it's just not quite as fun. Still damn good, mind, and a worthwhile read for any manga or cyberpunk fan.
Vikas
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nbtr
Wow let's clear this is 4.5 so there's that and now, I am flowing through these to try to finish them before going to watch the movie and so far it's wonderful at least in the Manga world. This is even better than the last one and here obviously Alita falls for a human and then wonders on her own form and desires and more. This one is sadder and more gripping than the first book but that's not such a huge stretch as now the character was established and now we are getting the character developme ...more
Brian
Another of my favourite manga series that initially got me interested in Japanese manga and anime, Battle Angel Alita is another classic Japanese manga from the early 1990s.

This series tells the story of an amnesiac female cyborg named Alita, whose head and upper torso are found in a state of suspended animation by cybermedic/bounty hunter Daisuke Ido while he is searching for useful scrap, and follows her as she recovers her past.

Working as a hunter-warrior (Bounty-hunter) Alita meets a young b
Nicholas Driscoll
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Warning! Warning! Really dumb romance ahead! In this volume, Alita falls in love with a street kid named Yugo. She doesn't seem to have any particular reason for falling in love with him except a shallow crush, but then she (SPOILERS PEOPLE) just decides to throw away her life to follow him even before the brat has said anything about his feelings for her... and the fact that he is literally stealing people's spines for the underground market.

Basically, Alita is an idiot. I still like the art, t
Cris Mtz
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Que buena historia. Pero sobre todo, que interesante planteamiento, en el cual expone la cosificación del ser humano, al grado tal, de correr el riesgo de desvalorar la propia vida por priorizar lo material y junto con ello la perdida de la dignidad, así como de valores tan necsarios como la solidaridad, el respeto, la compasión y el amor mismo.

En los ojos de "Galy", nuestra querida andride, descubrimos a profudidad lo complejo y paradojico que son nuestros propios sentimientos. Pero en ella es
Juletta Gilge
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-worthy
Even better than the first one! I loved the introduction of the new characters and the development of the old ones.
Krissy
I'm really liking this series. I love Alita. She's great. In this volume Alita finds a love interest. She's figuring out who she is all while being badass. I love it.
Alex
Relevant inclusion of technology in the story world and it all fits together (see some of the explanation at the end of this volume (appendixes are many times better than slowing down the plot with info dumps, many times disguised as dialogue). For example, (view spoiler) I like the little footnotes describing the technology behind Alita's different fighting abilities and some of the situations.

So cute. Alita falls in love.
Tomer
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The plot is slowly building up and from what the trailer showed it should most likely be based on the first two for the different characters. I am curious to see how it develops, though it is starting to be a tad repetetive in action.
Yukiguni
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
In den Kampfszenen zu unübersichtlich. Hier am schönsten die aufflammende Liebe zu Yugo, der allerdings unbedingt nach Zalem will, was dann - anders als geplant - in die Hose geht (deswegen "Tears of an Angel"). Fokus leider etwas weg von Alita und Ido.
Victor The Reader
An excellent follow-up to Alita’s story that has its cyberpunk action 🤖 , as well as introducing a love interest 💕 for her and a supposed main villain 🕶 (Grade: A).
Darnell
Mar 02, 2019 added it
Shelves: manga-manhwa
Just rereading prior to the movie.
Paul Mevissen
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Lame romance arc. Interesting twist though.
Chris Van Dyke
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I really disliked the first volume, but in desperation for something quick and simple to read after finishing the "Wind Up Bird Chronicle" and with few options of decent manga at my local branch library I picked up volume 2. And liked it. Still not great and prone to cliche, but the story in this is both more human and more disturbing. I don't think I'll ever get used to Manga's bizzare welding of "cool" with "cute," but most of the time it worked.
Mervi
Alita meets Yugo, a teenager who is living by himself and working very hard to support himself. Alita is immediately attracted to him, his brash manner, and the way he admires Zalem, the city in the sky where the wealthy people live. When a criminal Alita is tracking attacks, Alita conceals her fighting abilities from Yugo, which I found very strange. Alita softens up the criminal behind Yugo’s back (literally) but Yugo kills him and claims the head. Alita has been disgusted with the practice of ...more
Rolando Marono
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seinen-manga
Definitivamente hubiera querido leer esta serie antes. Cuando este tomo me estaba pareciendo bueno a secas (la historia de amor de Gally a la mitad del volumen no me había entusiasmada de sobre manera) y pensaba que le pondría 3 o 4 estrellas, la historia da un giro impresionante, revelándote un par de pistas sobre lo que está ocurriendo en ese mundo y lo que podría significar Zalem. Además al poner a Gally en un dilema del corazón, el autor nos regala unos matices de sus personajes que contrast ...more
Justin
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Battle Angel Alita deals with some pretty dark themes: loss, oppression, obsession, and it largely does so without becoming pedantic. The love story in this volume is a perfect example of that, exploring mixed signals, unrequited feelings, and how sometimes you just can't do anything to help someone, regardless of how much you care about them. It's tragic, thought-provoking, and it does as much to build the world of the Scrapyard and Tiphares, as it does to flesh out the characters who inhabit i ...more
Steven Toby
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who can create a character like Alita is certainly able to develop her further, and that's what happens in this second volume of the Alita story. It answers the question, can a cyborg have emotions (that question naturally occurs to a reader of volume 1), and Mr. Kishiro says yes. Alita meets a human, Yugo, and begins to feel what is obviously love (obvious to the reader -- not to her, because she remembers nothing of the time before Ido equipped her with her new body). This volume contin ...more
John Collings
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The depth that I was looking for in the first installment of this legendary series starts to show up in the second installment. When the first book ended I was left in the middle of an intense battle between Alita and a crazed villian who was nothing more than evil for the sake of being evil. By the end of the first chapter, my opinion of the villian changed as I was given insight into his background and started to understand why he acted to way he did. But this was the real reason that I came t ...more
Andrés
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, reviewed
I liked it better than the first instalment, perhaps because it seemed to place less emphasis on the action, even though there remains plenty. Indeed, Volume 2 picks up right were we left off and nicely wraps up the story of Makaku while expanding on his tragic backstory, what will become a running theme in this series no doubt. New characters, like Yugo and Vector, are introduced, old ones like Zapan make a return, and some are only hinted at.

Volume 2 explores Gally's relationship with Yugo, a
Cameron
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book starts out with finishing off the end of the first book. Then she meets the boy Yogo. They meet Zapan and then he gets blamed for a murder. They run from Zapan and the other hunters she and Yogo. Hideout for a little in Yogos brothers old home and then the hunters find him and alita fake kills Yogo but saves him by connecting her heart to his head and saving his life and while all that is going on Zapan gets his face cut off.

The primary romance in the book is based around Alita and Yogo
Tvrtko Balić
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
The start with Alita having amnesia from just slipping and hitting her head, with a werewolf created with psychedelic drugs, with a cyborg somehow being alive and functional with his spine and spinal cord ripped out... it just wasn't very good. The story quickly gets back on its feet however, with the relationship between Alita and Hugo as well as Hugo's motivation being developed very well. The ending did disappoint me a little bit, however. It drags on when it shouldn't and is not as impactful ...more
Gustavo
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, manga, seinen
Esta es una de las historias que más recordaba. Me encanta el mundo post-apocalíptico de Gunnm, tan crudo y cruel, y como Yukito Kishiro intenta meter una historia de amor en ese ambiente tan violento. Yugo es un personaje ambiguo, un criminal con corazón de oro, con una moral un poco torcida, pero con un lado amable y soñador que es justamente del que se enamora Gally.

Lo que más me gusta es como el autor utiliza este arco de romance para desarrollar como funciona el mundillo criminal y expandi
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 10 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #10)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 7
  • Blame!, Vol. 4
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 006
  • Appleseed: Prometheus Unbound (Appleseed, #2)

Battle Angel Alita / Gunnm (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Battle Angel Alita
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 03: Killing Angel
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 04: Angel of Victory
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 05: Angel Of Redemption (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 06: Angel Of Death (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 07: Angel Of Chaos (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 08: Fallen Angel (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 09: Angel's Ascension
  • Gunnm, tome 1 à 9 (Gunnm Complete)
  • Alita (serie - 18 volumi)