Start by marking “All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye” as Want to Read:
All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye

All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  2,787 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
As a teenager Jane Bell had dreamt of playing in the casinos of Monte Carlo in the company of James Bond, but in her punk phase she'd got herself pregnant and by the time she reaches forty-six she's a grandmother, her dreams as dry as the dust her Dyson sucks up from her hall carpet every day. Then her son Ross, a researcher working for an arms manufacturer in Switzerland, ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Not Avail

To ask other readers questions about All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
2,656 books — 2,543 voters
Knots and Crosses by Ian RankinCold Granite by Stuart MacBrideBlack and Blue by Ian RankinHide and Seek by Ian RankinStrip Jack by Ian Rankin
Tartan Noir
256 books — 110 voters

More lists with this book...

Ben Carroll
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Like with every Brookmyre I've ever read, all I could think of after finishing this was how soon I could get another Brookmyre to read. If I saw a granny reading one in the street within an hour of finishing this, I would have robbed her. These books are drugs.

I think I know why. There's a brutal humour, cleverness and charm in Brookmyre's writing, but there's something else too. A third of the way through All Fun And Games, I faced up to the truth that I was reading a thriller. There. I said it
Rachael Hewison
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
I like to think that I’m a pretty open minded reader, I will give any genre a go and always finish a book no matter how dire it is. My boyfriend is the complete opposite. For him reading consists of Christopher Brookmyre, Christopher Brookmyre and Christopher Brookmyre. I thought this author must be good if he’s created this much of an addiction so I gave him a try. Now all I can say is, “I want to read another one!”
Brookmyre introduces us to a variety of unique main characters, most of which fo
Jamie Collins
2.5 stars. Brookmyre has come up with plenty of wacky plots, but this one is so ludicrous that I had trouble enjoying the story. It’s still an amusing read at times, but it requires great suspension of disbelief.

Jane has spent 25 years raising children and keeping house for her boring husband. She’s a fan of James Bond movies, though, so when her adult son is threatened by wicked arms dealers, it only takes a little target practice and a few judo lessons to transform her into an espionage agent
Deanne
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who feels life has passed them by, and wishes they were James Bond.
Shelves: espionage
She's stuck in a rut, going through the motions, thinking that at 46 she's over the hill and heading down the other side. Married to a man who was middle aged at 19, mother to grown up children who seem to think that she was born aged 46.
Then one day changes all that and she realises that she's not dead yet, finds that inner punk she thought she'd lost when she got pregnant and married.
Guns, abductions, a mysterious bad guy,(without the evil fortress inside an extinct volcano)and a group of merc
Debbie
Jan 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a great romp by Christopher Brookmyre with all the trademark Brookmyre ingredients of murder, mayhem, twists, turns and humour, where the one thing you can be sure of is that nothing is as it seems.

The heroine of the book is a dutiful, downtrodden middle aged wife and mother. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much! Great fun.
Ian Mapp
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wendle
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, humour
All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye = (A Granny ^ kick arse) + Eclectic group of criminal mastermind do-gooders for hire.

If I forced myself to choose a favourite Brookmyre book, this may be the one I would choose. If I forced myself. Maybe.

The start of this book actually made me pretty damn angry. One character for what a complete tit he was, in every single way imaginable, and the other—his wife and main character of the story—for letting her life get taken away from her. For putting
Sebadiaz
Apr 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
If you ever wanted to read a novel version of the movie True Lies but without any of the humor or charisma that Schwarzenegger and Curtis brought to the roles, than this is the book for you.
The book starts of all right, but then seems to turn into a farce by creating a series of unbelievable cliches and trying to present them as characters. You might be able to enjoy the farce if there was actually anything humorous going on.
On the plus side the book is fast paced and the technical descriptions
Corissa
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is my first romp into a Brookmyre and it took me a while to get into it. It wasn't until Mrs. Fleming was out of the kitchen that it took off for me and then I couldn't put it down.
Monica
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Actually closer to 4 stars - it is not quite the nonstop manic adventure of the Parlabane books, but it is consistently clever in its forward movement, with a great cast of characters.

There is Bett’s team of security specialists - Rebekah the pilot, Lex the consummate hacker, Armand the explosives expert, Nuno the multi purpose man, and Som the gadget geek. They do role playing tests of security systems and, when needed, hard operations in defense of their clients.

There is Jane Fleming, the 46
Nick Davies
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This was slow to get started, and I was worried for a while that it might lack the wit and quirkiness that I have got used to from Chris Brookmyre's novels. It did improve in that manner towards the middle, and I ended up quite enjoying it. Alas though it doesn't sit at the top of my list of favourite books by this author - I thought the plot (basically this involved an average 46 year-old grandmother getting involved in espionage and James Bond-esque action, after her adult son goes missing) wa ...more
Jon
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
The Guardian compared Brookmyre to Elmore Leonard. The sheer volume of exposition, backstory and unnecessary spelling-out-for-the-reader passages determined... that was a lie.

That said, despite the occasional sloggy passage and the more-than-occasional desire to call up the author and insist that as far as I know I am not learning-disabled, and that I do understand exactly what is going on with these characters, and that I don't need another two or three paragraphs explaining their thoughts abo
Johanna Dickson
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A very clever read that takes me right back to the East Kilbride, I hear the characters and see the locations.

For me this book was compulsive first time round and a proper treat to regularly re-read for my brookmyre fix. I particularly enjoy the thread of romance and like to imagine the author is a big softy under the vigilante violence.

If pushed I'd choose this as my favorite Brookmyre although (with the exception of Ducks) I've loved every single book once I get past the first 70'ish pages.
Derek Holmes
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take a spy thriller and cross it with Pygmalion to get a good fun holiday read. A middle aged Scottish granny embroiled with spies, assassins and kidnappers when her scientist son demonstrates a startling invention, that could change the face of warfare forever. Far from being frightened she finds herself exhilarated by this turn of events and sees it as an escape from her humdrum life. It's daft but it doesn't take itself too seriously.
Mike Worth
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impressive book - not sure is these are ever turned into films - but this is all action and full of hollywood "coincedences". I guess my love for these is the same as other's love for Bond. I don't know why people like Bond films...so I guess maybe others may not like these!
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulously funny, a bit of a departure from his usual stories but amusing all the same and all ends well.
Guy
Jan 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Intussen ook nog wat gelezen: van een uitstap naar Londen eens All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye (2005) van Christopher Brookmyre meegebracht. Aan de stapels boeken te zien moet Brookmyre een held zijn in z’n land, en dat is eigenlijk best te begrijpen. Het is immers een bijzonder flukse, slim in elkaar gestoken roman met een gezonde combinatie van humor en actie, pulp en literatuur. De uitgerekte proloog was aanvankelijk wat verwarrend, waardoor het meer dan vijftig pagina’s duurde ...more
William
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brookmyre is one talented raconteur, with the added important bonus that he writes well and develops characters as a novelist does. I don't read many thrillers because the central characters seem interchangeable from one author to another. But Brookmyre creates people to whom one has to react. In this book, Bett and Jane Fleming are terrific characters. Alexis, the other principal figure, is a bit less fully depicted.

There is a lot of James Bond in this book, though I have never read Ian Fleming
Alison Evans
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The mysterious Brett runs an organisation specialising in top secret assignments. He employs an assortment of incredibly clever specialists; Lex is a computer expert, Rebekah a pilot, Som a gadget geek etc. All of them have some sort of shady past. Brett's outfit is asked to check the security on a weapons research company, which employs Ross Fleming as one of its experts. Their research shows that the company is not very secure at all and, shortly afterwards, Ross disappears. Now Brett is broug ...more
Rob Kitchin
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brookmyre’s tales are always good fun, invariably a thriller tale wrapped up in dark humour and spun out as an edgy comic caper. So it is with All Fun and Games Until Someone Loses an Eye, which has a very nice hook about a dour Scottish housewife making a transformation into Lara Croft as a secret agent. The set-up is very nicely done, as is the unfolding of the plot and the denouement, with the action sequences particularly well conveyed. As usual, Brookmyre develops a colourful cast of charac ...more
Mark Cowen
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm working my way through Christopher Brookmyre's novels and this was the best one yet. The story involves the usual Brookmyre Bond-villain baddies about to take over the world being defeated by someone with a fraction of the armoury and training, and this one is no different. A weapons expert is kindnapped to be sold on, and a crack hit-team employed to release him - the addition to the team of the victim's mother, previously a do-nothing granny in Eat Kilbride - being the main part of the tal ...more
Russell Taylor
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My first Christhopher Brookmyre novel, and it certainly won't be the last. The initial scene was a little bit slow, but once Jane was introduced things really picked up and before long the pages were flying by. The story's pace is good, a fine mix of fun and tension, and even though Jane's development is far fetched this doesn't spoil the story for me at all. The supporting cast were good overall, although he spent much more time on the female members of the team at the expense of the guys. The ...more
Nathan Hurst
Brookmyre woke up one morning and thought, 'I wonder what would happen if James Bond was a woman?' The result is A-fag. It's a solid adventure with all the set pieces you might expect from a good Ian Fleming novel, with nods to the source of the idea all over the place. Even the lead character is named Fleming.

The book kicks along at a good pace with compulsory casino scene and car chase. But things turned out a little too well for Jane Fleming. From housewife to accidental heroine in a week, su
Gitte
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
At first I was dissapointed with this book. It took too long to get started. First you get the introduction of Bett's team, then you flip to boring old Jane, only to go back again to Bett's team and Lex's actions. I was almost ready to give up on the book because it seemed like such a meaningless enumeration of actions by characters you're not familiar enough with.
But when I got past this part I really started enjoying the book. Especially after Jane's actions trying to get to Rachel, when she
Michael
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A thriller with its tongue firmly in its cheek, but with enough of the genre to keep the plot sailing along. And its Bond, Jayne Bond. She's a great character and the kind of mum to die for ... or who would die for you. Christopher Brookmyre has another series of novels with Jack Parlabane as the main character. The Parlabane series are also funny and exciting and intelligent.
Robin
Nov 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
I was at the point of giving up and putting the book down by chapter four or so - there was action, but nothing that made me care about the story - but thankfully it did get interesting after that and turned into a fun, addictive read. I don't think it's something that I'd read again, or that I'll track down his other books, but it's a good story, worth reading.

Rachel Linn
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pleasure
This book is exactly what it wants to be: a clever indulgence with just enough grounding to keep you in the fantasy. I especially enjoyed the dialogue. Though the book took a bit to get going, it ended up being a perfect summer read. This is my fist Brookmyre book, and I look forward to reading more.
Gordon Wilson
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
James Bond meets Good Housekeeping. Brookmyre brings Glasgow's dark sense of humour to the world of international espionage. Maybe not as many laughs per page as his other books, but the humour here is in the absurdist juxtaposition of the characters involved.
Neil Robinson
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Got halfway through and still waiting for an eye to be lost. And if it was all fun and games, I'd have continued to the end.

I gave up because Brookmyre does all his character exposition by telling instead of showing the reader, and I couldn't take it any longer.
Karen Fentem
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely awesome!..real additive page turner..read it 3 times & still chuckle in all the right places.
Often asked why I re-read books.. my reply is always the same..do you ever watch a good film more than once?..
Every kickback females idea of brilliance!.
Didn't want the book/story to end
  • Divorcing Jack
  • The Last Day of Christmas: The Fall of Jack Parlabane (Jack Parlabane, #5.5)
  • The Bullet Trick
  • Truth Dare Kill (Danny McRae, #1)
  • Dark Blood (Logan McRae, #6)
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • Past Mortem
  • The Storm Without (Doug Michie, #1)
  • Flint
  • Resolution (Garnethill, #3)
  • He Kills Coppers
Christopher Brookmyre is a Scottish novelist whose novels mix politics, social comment and action with a strong narrative. He has been referred to as a Tartan Noir author. His debut novel was Quite Ugly One Morning, and subsequent works have included One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night, which he said "was just the sort of book he needed to write before he turned 30", and All Fun and Games unti ...more
“I can't ask you to banish your fears, your anxiety or your anger...But don't let them use you up.” 3 likes
“What was it about indifference that drew you to seek reaction, to seek approval?” 0 likes