Start by marking “A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)

A Pawn for a Queen

(Ursula Blanchard #6)

Fiona Buckley, acclaimed for her precisely researched and richly nuanced historical mysteries, returns with a magnificent new Ursula Blanchard novel set at the court of Queen Elizabeth I.

Widowed once again, Ursula, a sometime waiting woman and spy for Elizabeth, intends to live quietly with her small daughter, Meg, at Withy-sham, their country home. But word comes that
Published October 28th 2003 by Pocket Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Pawn for a Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pawn for a Queen

Start your review of A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
Christine
I should not have started this series with volume 6. The historic period is aptly and wonderfully drawn. While I could see the reveal coming, it does work. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't gripping.
Gretchen
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudor-fiction
One of the best things about books in a series is the development of characters. This is the sixth novel featuring Ursula Blanchard and I have seen little development from her. In the first novel the reader is promised a woman who is intelligent, full of wit, and determined to a fault. Ursula is determined to a fault but the intelligence and wit seem to fade with each passing novel.

I don't know if the "bad boy" complex existed in the 16th century but Ursula sure makes me think it did. Clearly
Barbara Howe
I liked the authentic feel of this mystery/spy novel set during the reign of Elizabeth I. There's good stuff here about shifting loyalties and faiths during the Catholic vs. Protestant civil wars, the tenuousness of the grips the two queens (Elizabeth and Mary, Queen of Scots) had on their thrones, and Elizabeth's political astuteness vs. Mary's naivety. Also about the difficulties of everyday life: the hardships of traveling in winter; cold, damp, draughty Scottish dwellings; women's fear of ...more
Amy
I enjoyed reading this book, but it did seem a bit repetitive of the basic elements of the other Ursula Blanchard mysteries. At the end two new characters were introduced, who I hope will replace Brockley and Dale in the next books.
William
Nov 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scanned-books
I found it impossible to care "who dunnit". I'm not a big fan of this series, and this book was my least favorite. I'm also tired of the author constantly using the "salt spoon" nickname for Ursula!
Kate
Living again in England, Ursula journeys to Scotland, to help a cousin and recover a list of potential traitors.
Guorju
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolet amazing
Michelle
(3.5 stars) The sixth book in the series closely follows the events in the fifth book, but starts with a snapshot from near the end of the book with Ursula at a wedding ceremony. Going back, Ursula meets with her aunt and uncle and agrees to go to Scotland to try to get her cousin Edward back before he commits an act that would be considered treason to England, by providing Mary, Queen of Scots a list of families that are loyal to her cause. She goes without notifying either Queen Elizabeth or ...more
Richard Stueber
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ursula Faldene Blanchard de la Roche sets of to Scotland without royal permission. Her first cousin Edward Faldene is carrying a list of English supporters to Mary Queen of Scots. Before she catches up with him he is murdered. Much of the novel is about tracking down the guilty party, but Ursula is also fending off the amorous advances of Sir Brian Dormbois who wants to marry Ursula by any means, fair or foul.
In the meantime Ursula gets to meet Mary Queen of Scots who makes a wonderful
Denise
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ursula Blanchard's Catholic cousin, Edward Faldene, has ridden off to Scotland and his parents and young wife enlist Ursula to follow and convince him to return home. He carries a list of English nobles who have pledged support for Mary, Queen of Scots. They believe that Mary is the true queen and may wish to cause an uprising to put her on the English throne. Such actions are treasonous if discovered by Queen Elizabeth and Ursula must keep her efforts secret and work with only her tiring woman, ...more
Lalla
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This novel is part of the series that features Ursula Blanchard, a lady in waiting to Queen Elizabeth. The plot involves intrigue that sends Ursula to Scotland and a meeting with Mary, Queen of Scots. The reader is brought up to speed on the political climate of this historical period through the story. The author describes the settings of the story very well and leaves the reader looking foroward to the next adventure in the series.
Moonmomie
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy Elizabethan Historical Fiction, which is what brought me to this series. I had never been interested in any kind of mysteries up until reading these books. They were a complete surprise to me. The plots in all of the Ursula Blanchard Mysteries are rich and fun, the characters are interesting and complex. I really loved this entire series of books.
Janet
I like Scotland, so it was great to hang out with Mary and her court for a while. This was one of Buckley’s stronger offerings, except for the very end when Ursula finds out who her father was. It’s so “I can’t believe the author would stoop to this tired ploy” that I was more than a little disgusted. Talk about a convenient out…
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a great series set in Queen Elizabeth's court. Buckley takes several real historical mysteries and asks what if... Worth reading for a strong interesting heroine that while sometimes needing rescue is rather good at figuring out her own options given the limited options available to women of the time.
Valerie K
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Man, I'm just ripping through these! This one may be the best yet, it's full of suspense and intrigue. They all are, but this one amps it up a even more. I'm not going to type any more because I want to start reading book #7. I'm more than hooked, I'm addicted.
Kathie H
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
I enjoy the Ursula Blanchard mysteries so much! This was just great. I loved the ending! I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series. I daydream about being at Queen Elizabeth I's court after reading Fiona Buckley's books.
Angelique
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is my second favorite book of the series...somehow I think there will be a sequel. Finally Ursula begins to understand the importance of family and her connection to Elizabeth in spite of her current actions. Lovely views of Northumberland and the border castles.
Jill
Dec 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Great medieval mystery series.
Tami Greaney
Oct 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very good - I do love Eliz I
Julie
Still very enjoyable, but there were hints of a very Perils of Pauline-esque plot to this one that I found boggling. Good ending, though.
Alexandra
Sep 23, 2007 marked it as to-read-next-in-series
6th in the series.
Frederique
Too complicated for my taste. I didn't read the first book so it was a little hard to understand this one.
Joe
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tell me its not over..
Please. please let there be more.

Fiona Buckley has a wonderful character in Ursala.

I think this one might be the last.
[I hope not]
Ann
Sep 12, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoy this series when I'm in-between reads.
Ellie
Dec 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians looking for a bit o'fun
A quick and fun jaunt into Elizabethan England.
Pamela
Claire
May 12, 2014
Sheila
Jul 31, 2012

• Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2)
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
  • The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1)
  • A Brush with Shadows (Lady Darby Mystery #6)
  • Books of a Feather (A Bibliophile Mystery, #10)
  • As Death Draws Near (Lady Darby Mystery #5)
  • A Study in Death (Lady Darby Mystery #4)
  • Bloodroot (China Bayles, #10)
  • An Artless Demise (Lady Darby Mystery #7)
  • Rosemary Remembered (China Bayles, #4)
  • Hangman's Root (China Bayles, #3)
  • Witches' Bane (China Bayles, #2)
  • A Rustle of Silk (Gabriel Taverner Mystery #1)
  • Pekoe Most Poison (A Tea Shop Mystery, #18)
  • Murder in Chinatown (Gaslight Mystery, #9)
  • The Lord of Stariel (Stariel, #1)
  • A Crime of Passion Fruit (Bakeshop Mystery #6)
  • The Spy of Venice (William Shakespeare Thriller #1)
Valerie Anand is a British author of historical fiction. Under the pen name Fiona Buckley she writes the series of historical mysteries, set in the reign of Elizabeth I of England, featuring "Ursula Blanchard" (whose full name is Ursula Faldene Blanchard de la Roche Stannard). Under her own name she writes historical fiction based on the royalty of England and the Bridges over Time series which ...more

Ursula Blanchard (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)
  • To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4)
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • The Fugitive Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #7)
  • The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)
  • Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard, #9)
  • Queen's Bounty (Ursula Blanchard, #10)
  • A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)