Start by marking “The Earth Witch” as Want to Read:
The Earth Witch

The Earth Witch

Young Owen nearly loses his life when he unknowingly falls in love with the Earth Witch.
Mass Market Paperback, 2nd Edition, 192 pages
Published June 1st 1986 by Berkley Publishing Group (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Earth Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earth Witch

Chris
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book a few years ago and recently went on a hunt to find it again. The story was densely layered in Welsh mythology. And although the action was limited, the slow realization of the witch's powers and intentions made for a compelling read. I'd recommend this book to fans to Susan Cooper, Madeline L'Engle, and the "I'm done with Harry Potter, now what?" crowd. The pacing reminded me in many ways of Lucy Boston. Overall, a solid read; I wish it was still in print.
Christina
I first read this book in elementary or junior high, checked out from my public library, and it stuck with me ever since then, but I could not for the life of me remember the name of the book. I spent literal years trying to track down this book with nothing to go on except googling "farmer falls in love with witch." As you can imagine, I had little success. I did remember that the title had the word "witch" in it, so one day last Fall, I sat down and went through GoodReads, searching for the wo ...more
Courtney Herondale
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
For me this book was very unique. I found some chapters dragged and some I couldn't get enough of. For me it was a three star book till I reached the end. The last three pages were some of the most profound and beautiful writing I've had the pleasure of reading. "You had a choice. You let people in..live and love and risk the pain or grow old and feel nothing." Definitely a must read for lovers or Wicca, lore or, a dark and twisty tale.
Peggi Warner-lalonde
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! A fascinating retelling of Welsh legend.
Pam Baddeley
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This struck me at first as having a very similar set up to Alan Garner's famous 'The Owl Service'. Rural Wales, a poor Welsh boy and a well off English girl and boy whose father now owns the land, instead of the original Welsh, in a valley where an old Welsh myth appears to be playing itself out. Except here we have a woman who transforms between beautiful young maiden and hideous old crone, and requires the sacrifice of a young man to maintain her fertility and that of the land.

Owen is the youn
Caroline Tracey
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favourite book. Set in Wales, telling the most magical story of the power of the earth and women. Read as a teenager and still shocking when read again. Beautiful descriptive book.
Erin
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very cool young adult fiction. Read it long ago - kept it!
JoeyHatesJazz
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
An intriguing story about the power of love.
Dixie
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific book about Wales and mythology.
Michelle
Mar 03, 2017
Cassandra
Sep 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Elizabeth Holden, better known by her pen name Louise Lawrence, is an English science fiction author, acclaimed during the 1970s and 1980s.

Lawrence was born in Leatherhead, Surrey, England, in 1943. She became fascinated with Wales at a young age, and has set many of her novels there. She left school early on to become an assistant librarian. She married and had the first of her three children in