Start by marking “The Spirit Archives, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Spirit Archives, Vol. 1

The Spirit Archives, Vol. 1 (The Spirit Archives #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  275 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The first volume in a complete series reprinting Will Eisner's classic crimefighter The Spirit in chronological order from June 2nd to December 29, 1940. Includes "The Origin of The Spirit," "Orang, The Ape Man," "The Kiss of Death," "The Prom," the first Christmas Spirit story and 26 others in full color. Also features a preface by Eisner on how The Spirit came to be, a f ...more
Published June 1st 2000 by DC Comics (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit Archives, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spirit Archives, Vol. 1

ED
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-hardcover
F*** you, Frank Miller.
Mike Raymond
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is about a superhero who was once a cop who tried to take a bad guy out but falls into radioactive stuff to make him into a superhero with many superpowers. This was one big book with a bunch of The Spirit comics all in one. I thought it was a good book over all because it's a classic and had good art. Anyone who's into superman or classic superheroes would love this book.
Ramón Nogueras Pérez
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
Magistral.
The_Mad_Swede
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Will Eisner was one of the true giants working in the medium of comics, and this is where that greatness really began. This volume collects the seven page Spirit comics between the series opening in June 2 and December 29 1940, framed by a preface by Eisner ("The Spirit: How It Came to Be" from 2000), a foreword by Allan Moore ("The Pioneering Spirit" from 1986) and an introduction by R. C. Harvey ("The Consummate Comic Book"). While this is clearly not Eisner's greatest hour by any means (it's ...more
Andrew
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Ouch. I confess to having high, possibly unrealistic, expectations for the first collection of Spirit stories, but wow. This is some of the worst comic writing I've ever encountered, even taking the era into account. And while Eisner was obviously playing with bold color choices and dynamic framing, he hadn't really broken out of a very traditional narrative progression. The biggest problem is the massive number of plot holes – big enough for you to fly a car through. Exposition that would embar ...more
Edward Cheer
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
As far as Will Eisner's works go... this isn't his best. But this isn't a horrible book, to say the least. The greater half of this book is filled with cooky hi jinx, cartoony characters, and daring escapades. Only problems are that the characters are a bit stale and the stories tend to be a bit... holey. However, it's perhaps the last five comics where you can really see Eisner's writing skill start to grow. And those comics are genuinely good. So if you want to read some old comics from the 40 ...more
Scott Greenfield
Jul 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This was my first exposure to the classic Spirit tales and I gotta tell you, this was thoroughly enjoyable. It holds up surprisingly well. Each story is only 7 pages long but it never ceased to amaze me how much Eisner could pack into those 7 pages. There are a few anachronisms in the book but that's to be expected for a series that was written prior to WWII. The most glaring is the dialogue of Ebony White. If you are the type of PC person who gets offended by historical anachronisms, this might ...more
Fizzgig76
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
The Spirit is born with Denny Colt "dies" and returns to life to fight the underworld. I had never read any Spirit comics and was a little disappointed. The stories are very much like every '30's/'40's noir tales (Batman included). The Spirit's "back from the dead" gimmick didn't seem to make much sense and wasn't used to strike fear in any villains. If he wears a mask, why does it matter that his alter-ego is believed dead? I guess the fact that Eisner did a couple multi-issue stories (like the ...more
Klara
It is always weird to read a comic that's early in the series' history. Much like webcomics and newspaper comics, early Eisner looks creakily drawn. Um, it kind of reminds me of the part in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen -- spoilers ahead! -- where they meet the animals altered to look like humans and something is Not Quite Right and Downright Grotesque about the way the way they look. (Why can't I write here without constantly alluding to other works? That is just how my brain works.)

Anyhow,
Chris Aylott
Oct 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Like most of the Golden Age comics archives, the first issues of The Spirit are mostly a reminder of just how primitive comics were in the late thirties and early forties. The characters are stereotypical and thin, and the plots almost indistinguishable from the Batman comics being published a few doors down the road.

Evolution happens fast, though, and within weeks of the first issue Eisner is making little breaks in the format of pulp comics. There's a lot of potential here that would reach it
Chris
Apr 15, 2007 marked it as to-read
Bless me father, for I have sinned. I am a comic fanatic and I have never . . . never read any of Eisner's work. I know I've been reading comics since I was ten, and I own every volume of the Essential X-Men, but no Eisner. I even own "X-Men vs. The Fantastic Four" in TPB, but not a story of "The Spirit." It is not as if I have avoided the classics - I have Peanuts, I have Krazy Kat . . . and I mean to buy The Spirit, I do, but then it gets put on the "To Buy Later" list. Soon, soon.
Feather Mista
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casi nadie.
Recommended to Feather by: Su fama...
Tratando de evitar polémica (conmigo mismo, claro), voy a aclarar de una por qué le pongo sólo dos estrellitas a este supuesto clásico de clásicos: le tuve que hacer muchas, DEMASIADAS concesiones para poder leerlo sin problemas. No sé las historias siguientes, pero al menos las que contiene este primer tomo envejecieron muy pero muy mal, pese a las inventivas composiciones de página de Eisner (quizás, lo más destacable de todo). Espero que los posteriores me sorprendan para bien.
Leah
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
The art is fantastic.

And the storytelling (as much of it as I took in; I made it about three 7 page serials) is solid, integrated with the art and into all adventure narratives in pop culture.

And the content is so dated, sexist, racist, and now also cliched, that I see no reason to wade through a dozen volumes of it, or even just one.
Ryan
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
The rating is for the art, which is fantastic. While there are still a lot of artists who could learn from Eisner's action and paneling, his use of perspective is still above and beyond today's standards. Otherwise, dated by some very misogynistic and racist stereotypes. The stories started out on par with Stan Lee, then dropped off.
Kevin
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am reading the Archives in celebration of The Spirit's 75th anniversary. The character is Eisner's magnum opus, and, while the war years stories (1942-1945) are generally the creation of writers and artists other than Will Eisner, there aren't any really bad stories in the series -- only good, better, and best.
Sylvester Kuo
Jul 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
This series really made a 10 year run? I can barely stand the first volume. The Spirit is a comic book strip about a detective known as The Spirit who solves crime with various characters. The story was lame and the depiction of African Americans was rather racist.
Steven
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
The earliest Spirit stories were much more traditional in their pulp/comics influence, though one can see Eisner beginning to ease in both his sense of design and sense of humour. Be warned, though, that the portrayal of other than white people tends to be pretty horrible.
Dan
Jan 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 2009
Nice start...definitely easier to read than the old Batman collections. It's amazing the kinds of stories Eisner was willing to try so long ago. He hadn't quite gotten into his art groove yet, but it still had some impressive layouts.
Stewart Tame
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Classic Eisner is always worth reading. The strip starts out a bit rough around the edges, but you can see Eisner getting better and better with each page. Many of the innovative storytelling techniques are in place by the end of the book, an it only gets better from here. Recommended!
Michael
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
what can i say? hands down my favorite comic character of all time. i even love the years that eisner was in the military and the strip was ghosted. yeah, they weren't as good, but as soon as he returned, this thing blasted into orbit.
Mark Alger
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Eisner is well-known and -loved as one of the giants of comic art and visual storytelling. My intent is to get my hands on as many of these volumes as I can afford.
Devowasright
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
when considered in relation to when these were first printed, it is impossible not to be impressed. (also, knowing he later made amends with the Ebony character helps).
Steven Yenzer
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Wish I could give this 2.5. Very interesting to see the origins of modern superheroes, especially Batman, in this 1940 series. The racism and misogyny are a bit hard to swallow, though.
Emily
Oct 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Old school comics... the slang was a bit hard to read and there have been a lot of social changes since 1940. In the end I did enjoy it. Maybe it will be a movie next year. =)
Isma
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
really ?
Robby Barry
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Maybe the greatest comic strip ever!
MJ Steele
  • Stumptown, Vol. 2
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Archives, Vol. 1
  • Alan Moore: Portrait of an Extraordinary Gentleman
  • Albert and the Others
  • The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures (Deluxe Edition)
  • Nexus Archives, Vol. 1
  • Happy!
  • 5 Is the Perfect Number
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Volume 1
  • American Splendor: Another Dollar
  • The Mammoth Book of Best Crime Comics
Will Eisner was born on March 6, 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. By the time of his death on January 3, 2005, Will Eisner was recognized internationally as one of the giants in the field of sequential art, a term he coined.

In a career that spanned nearly eight decades -- from the dawn of the comic book to the advent of digital comics - Will Eisner was truly the 'Father of the Graphic Novel' and the 'O
More about Will Eisner...

The Spirit Archives (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Spirit Archives, Vol. 2

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99