Start by marking “A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)” as Want to Read:
A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)

A London Season

(Regency Duo #1)

How could Lady Jand Fitzmaurice prefer her handsome horse trainer over the most attractive nobleman in England? She had taken London society by storm, but now a whirlwind of scandal was rising as she rode roughshod over all conventions and prepared to take a leap that could leave her heart forever broken.
Published January 6th 1981 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about A London Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A London Season

Kathleen
4.5 stars. Loved it! Jane and David have loved each other 4-ever, but she is noble, and he is a groom. From the day they first meet at ages 7 and 8 they are inseparable, sharing a deep love for horses.

Jane is strong-willed and socially a bit clueless, even though she is sought after for her beauty and fortune. One reviewer thinks Jane may be slightly autistic.

David is yummy. With coloring like a lion, he's strong yet gentle and diplomatic, liked by all. In that sense, he is Jane's opposite, so
Jacqueline J
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Regency Romance Lovers
This is one of my all time favorites. It is different from most typical regencies. The story starts when the heroine, Jane, is 6 and the hero, David, is 7. They grow up together and fall in love but she is the daughter of a lord and he is a stable lad. Eventually, she must go to London for a season (she is 17, he is 18) but they both scheme to get back together. She comes home from London with an unwanted suitor who soon tries to kill David. I don't want to spoil it for new readers so I'll stop ...more
Misfit
"From then on they were Jane-and-David, a twosome, linked together against the outside world. There was never a time when either child had put into words their need of each other; it was something they understood instinctively."

At the death of her parents when she was six, Lady Jane Fitzmaurice is given into the care of her maternal uncle. Jane loves horses much more than dressing up in pretty dresses, and she's soon fast friends with stableboy David Chance. The two are a bonded pair, and well.
Naksed
I had to come up with a brand new shelf name to describe the heroine of Joan Wolf's superb Regency romance, A London Season, that of "Alpha female." There are plenty of romance books out there with Alpha males and the feisty, strong and smart heroines who love them, but this was the first time I came across a true Alpha female.

The narrative is driven by the sheer force of the heroine's will, which is just as steely when she is a six year old orphan dealing with the loss of her parents as when s
Mary - Buried Under Romance
I am so in love with this rather unusual romance. It is certainly unlike all others of its genre (this I feel I can safely say) and I also saw in myself some of Jane's quirky characteristics. The story is focused solely on Jane and David, albeit with a greater focus on Jane, and I enjoyed my evening with them from their initial meeting at ages 6 and 7, respectively, to their adulthood.

In many ways, the romance is just perfect. Jane and David are the embodiment of soulmates in the truest sense of
Corduroy
More like 3.5. I thought parts of this were really good, but have, overall, mixed feelings.

Premise: Lady Jane is orphaned at 6 and sent to live with her bachelor uncle, where she is raised mostly by herself and scattered servants. Jane doesn't like people much (and seems to me vaguely like someone on the autism spectrum at times) but loves horses and riding. In her uncle's stables, she meets equally horse-crazed young David Chance, the orphaned son of French emigres, who lives with his aunt. Ja
Suzanne
I love this romantic and memorable childhood friends (soul mates) to lovers story. The characterizations are so deft and true that the immediate and enduring bond of trust and love that forms between the six year old aristocrat, Jane Fitzmaurice and David Chance, the seven year old stableboy is believable throughout. I quickly came to care for the fate of the young friends/lovers as they matured and worried until the end that circumstance and family would tear them apart, despite the assurance o ...more
October
Jan 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Dnf at 35%

Although I love reading the angsty, drama-filled romances, my favorite kind of romance is the slow-burning, fluffy type where the hero and the heroine have known each other long enough to form a deep friendship that eventually grows into love. I picked this one up because I thought the main characters' relationship would be something like that.

In this book the heroine's parents die when she's six and she has to leave her family home and move to her uncle's mansion. There she meets the
heidi
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a slim little romance in which childhood friends grow up to love each other, encounter difficulties, and everything turns out ok in the end. Its strong points were an excellent attention to horsey detail, a hero I actually wanted to lick (possibly due to him sounding like my high school crush), and a heroine, well...

I think Jane was written as being on the (autism) spectrum. Possibly not deliberately -- it was 1981 and there was a lot less public knowledge, but if we are going to argue t
Chloe
A really beautiful, quite sweet and innocent romance which I adored. If nothing else this book a vacation from overly-tortured heros (not that that's not good on occasion) and depressingly predictable heroines. It can be read in one sitting if you consider a skipped meal or two a worthy sacrifice for a truly compelling book. For the new to friends-to-lovers theme (such as myself) this is the perfect choice as it does away with the cliche of the long lost childhood friends reunited into lovers th ...more
AMythicalBeast
One of my favourite regency romances ever, this one. Jane is a splendid and thoroughly different heroine than any I have come across. I have read/watched heroes like her, but it's as if Joan Wolf was the first to realize that women can also sometimes be taciturn, aloof, brilliant, obstinate, fiercely determined and single-mindedly loyal. Maybe today someone would diagnose Jane with autism and put her somewhere in the high functioning end of the spectrum, but back then she was simply clever, prou ...more
SmittenKitten
The Gist: Jane and David are childhood friends who fall into a deep, committed love, but class differences keep them from being able to marry. She's a lady and he works in the stables.

What I Liked: Jane and David are only about 17 and 18 respectively and are allowed their HEA ending without having some 10 year time gap and then finally coming together like most other romances about childhood sweethearts.

The Downside: The plot is completely predictable, including who the villain turns out to be
Tina
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Everytime I pick up a Joan Wolf old skool trad regency I am reminded all over again what a gifted writer she is. She manages to pack a wealth of romance, story and character in a little over 200 pages. Not a word is wasted. And she doesn't do pure fluff. Her books have a lot of depth to them.

I am reminded of how she took the marriage of convenience trope in Margarita and gave it some layers so that it wasn't merely a vehicle for the hero and heroine to have guilt free sex while falling in love.

O
Cathy
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I clicked this on a whim on my Kindle during my lunch break and then didn't want to stop reading. I came home from work and quite literally dropped everything to keep going; this was just what I was in the mood for.

It's short and sweet and Jane and David are fairly uncomplicated protagonists. While there is perhaps a little bit of drama (although it can arguably be called that, to be honest), and things might be too convenient sometimes and there were one or two things I disliked...I found in t
Georgie-who-is-Sarah
This is a difficult review to write - not because I didn't enjoy the book (I did), nor because I wasn't invested in the characters (I was), but because I feel betrayed by something that was allowed to happen. Let me explain.

The plot is very straightforward (apart from an unnecessarily dramatic twist at the end that actually doesn't count for much): Jane, the daughter of an earl, and David, a groom, are childhood friends, whose friendship ripens to young love. There's a lovely sense that they ar
Katie
This was fun! I do like the traditional regencies. It's another that's description isn't entirely accurate. Or, rather, that it's a bit misleading. It spends a fair amount of time on the heroine and hero's childhood. (So not really that much about "a London season.") Anyway, it was all very nice. I liked that the heroine was unusual, but not in your face about it, like so many unusual heroines are. She was just the way she was.

And it was one of those younger heroines I always want!
Gail
Dec 03, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a nice "old-skool" Regency romance, which means it's a bit nicer than many. Heiress heroine grows up best friends with a French emigre stableboy, very self possessed, very stubborn. Hero is the boy she grows up with. This is a "from childhood" story that begins when she's six, her parents die and her uncle brings her home, where she meets the hero. They become best friends, and eventually fall in love, but her uncle doesn't want them to marry, so--I thought their problem was solved awfu ...more
Kathryn
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, regency
The main characters and the plot itself behave in similar ways. They operate on the belief that if you play by the rules, something good will eventually happen. A tiny amount of risk is taken, but it's all still very safe. For a story about star-crossed lovers, the emotion is pretty lacking in dimension and the resolution a little too "clean" for my liking. (Something major happens near the end and the main characters laugh it off like, "Haha, well the villain deserved it!" That's the strangest ...more
Kate Sherwood
Dec 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Product of its times, maybe?

Lots of bashing of every female who ISN'T the heroine (she's so unique and special!) while she's totally deferential to the hero. We're TOLD she's an excellent rider and has been essentially living as a boy her whole life, but she still can't handle a spirited horse that the hero can ride easily. What, is the hero steering with his penis?

Blech.
Jess
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun!

It is the story of two childhood friends and their single-minded devotion to each other that they don't even realize is love until they're teenagers and about to be forbidden from ever marrying because she is a Lady and he is a stable lad. I suspect that description will appeal to some of you.

I am definitely going to need to read more Joan Wolf.
Veri
This is a very sweet story!!! even though it was short I thoroughly enjoyed it . It would have been a five star but I felt it needed an epilogue , the ending was abrupt .
Jessica
Jan 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Terrible. Doesn't even deserve the time for a review. I wish it wasn't so bad because the heroine had potential, but the plot was absurd.
 ☆Ruth☆
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
A pretty shallow, frivolous novel... but I did finish it.
Kelly_Instalove
And...here I go on a Joan Wolf binge.
Laurel
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook-copy
This book was published in 1981, and it shows. It is not a traditional romance, even for that time (yes, I am old and I read what was popular at the time), but I would say that the too-good-to-be-true resolution is typical of the the time period.

The book opens when the heroine, Lady Jane Fitzmaurice, is six years old. The first three quarters of the book reads more as women's fiction than a romance. There is no romance, she is way too young for a romance, but the book describes Jane growing up a
⚜ʝཞ.
Quick & smart classic clean Romance! In the past I’ve enjoyed Joan Wolfs Historical Fiction novels based on Amazing women in the Bible written in recent years. In this older vintage romance novel I knew she’d portray this female character in similar fashion like others books, which show a Female lead with strength, unwavering courage & independence in a times when we ladies had no rights to owning our life. I’m excited to press on to more of older novels.
Animepet
Kindle Unlimited Read + Listen Free

Karen Cass does a really lovely job in the voice performances. I highly recommend the Audible version.

The story was really cute and nicely written, but I was bothered by how YOUNG the couple was. They weren't even into their twenties. Ugh. I kept thinking the timeline would jump ahead a handful of years, but, nope. Also the title is a bit misleading and doesn't fit the storyline.

I enjoyed it for the free listen it was.
Briana
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Formulaic and Dull

Characters are "extraordinary" and "beautiful." The plot is so dry and obvious as to make one think "get on with it already..." All-too-convenient twists that are ludicrous and utterly unimaginative. Throw in a pregnancy scare and surprise wealthy relative for cliche and one has the most predictable set for uninspired work.
Mary Gallo
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful with an HEA

Great characters, but there was a lot of creative license with an aristocrat falling in love with a commoner. But it was a gorgeous story. I felt so good after reading it.
Kathy
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this a solid 4.5 star rating. David and Jane are an unusual and interesting couple, inside the framework of a traditional Regency. You can't beat Joan Wolf!

• Lord of Dishonor
  • Three Lords for Lady Anne
  • Fair Game
  • The Duke's Double (Lords of Love)
  • Poetic Justice
  • A Loyal Companion
  • A Christmas Bride (Stapleton-Downes, #7)
  • Mrs. McVinnie's London Season
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • Viscount Vagabond (Regency Noblemen, #1)
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #2)
  • The Phantom Lover
  • The Bad Baron's Daughter
Joan Wolf is a USA TODAY bestselling American writer, whose acclaimed Regency romances have earned her national recognition as a master of the genre. Her many historical and contemporary romances, some of which have been chosen as Literary Guild selections, have been highly praised by reviewers and authors alike.

Joan was born in 1951 and she grew up in the Bronx, New York. A former English teacher

Regency Duo (2 books)
  • A Double Deception (Regency Duo, #2)