Start by marking “Independence Hall (I, Q #1)” as Want to Read:
Independence Hall (I, Q #1)

Independence Hall (I, Q #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  7,025 Ratings  ·  590 Reviews
Q and Angela are new step-siblings. Their parents are successful musicians who are embarking on a cross-country tour. To enable them to have "family time" and stay somewhat removed from the spotlight they decide to travel alone in a large motor home. The kids are doing school work while traveling, including creating a website showing all of the places they visit.
As their
Library Binding, 302 pages
Published December 29th 2008 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Independence Hall, please sign up.

Jacob Plaziak Yes. It is a very good series, and I encourage you to try it!
Jacob Plaziak Very good book. Try it and see for yourself!

Erin Forson
Nov 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I.Q. Independence Hall
by Roland Smith
This adventure novel had my attention quickly, because it featured two kids whose parents were rock stars. Because of this, Quest (a.ka. “Q” for short) and Angela get to be out of school and travel across the country in a giant, tricked out, R.V. What could be more exciting? But the more I read, the more confused I got. Three different spy organizations, the Mossad (or Israeli spies), the C.I.A., and the F.B.I., all are after the two kids, but I really never
Andy
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not done reading this book, but I wish I was. I don't know, it just hasn't pulled me in and I'm 2/3 finished. I probably won't like it very much.

I finished this book last week of August, and I think it was too soon after having read Storm Breaker. The influence of that spy book was too strong -- I expected more action, a focus on one character, a huge explosion, and a dead bad guy.

There were moments when I was drawn in because I thought the story would pick up its pace, but I didn't care for
Jan
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Roland Smith. I've read just about every novel he's written and have loved all of them. I really can't imagine not enjoying anything he writes. This book, the first in a series that so far totals 6 books, is a quick, fun, and definitely exciting read. I can see a lot of middle grade kids getting into this series. What's not to love? You've got two teens, twelve year old Quest (Q) whose mom has just married fifteen year old Angie's dad. The parents are musicians with a number one ...more
Cintia
Mayank
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IQ: THE INDEPNDENCE HALL
BOOK REVIEW
SUMMARY
This story takes place in Dexter at first but mainly in Pennsylvania in 2008 September. The main character in the story is Q (quest) and Angela, his step sister. Q is a very fast thinker, and can also pull off tricks and confuse anyone. Angela is a quiet person, she seems very hard, but she is actually very caring and soft hearted inside. She is also self-training to be a spy, like her mom. Her mom died in battle, as she was told. She finds 2 groups o
Audrey Williamson
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good mystery book, not to scary but still a really good thriller.
This book is about two kids, Angela and Q, and how Angela's dad got married to Q's mom. Their parents are really famous music artist and are going on a year concert tour. They decided to take Q and Angela. They are traveling in a large coach and while in Philadelphia Angela realizes she is being watched. Q and Angela then attempt to figure out the whole thing. Read to find out who is following her and Q and why they ar
Cormac
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cormac Reilly 3/4/10

I.Q by: Roland Smith

There is a boy named Q he started his life living in a boat until his mother got married to a guy named Roger they forma band and go on a tour and roger has a daughter named Angela. Q and Angela are getting followed by Israel terrorist cause Angela’s real mom was a secret agent and they tried to get Angela. Then they got security and there were fights here and there and they killed some but not all.
My favorite character in the book was Angela because sh
Terri Longcrier
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing.
Sandra Stiles
Mar 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all of my students
Recommended to Sandra by: received from publisher
Q and his new step-sister Angela find themselves caught up in something they are not quite prepared for.
Blaze Munoz and Roger Tucker are two musicians who are starting off their tour with a wedding. Blaze had hit the top of the charts then took time off to be a mother. Roger Tucker has written songs for years. Now he and Blaze will start a new life together not only as a newly married couple with a blended family but also as the newest and hottest singing group, "Match".

Q has not really gotten
Andrew
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book is I.Q. The author of this book is Roland Smith. This book was a mystery book and was a thriller with a lot of action. Angela and Quest meet each other at their parents wedding. They become step siblings. As the story goes on Angela tells Quest (Q) that her mom was a secret service agent and had past away. Q and Angela's parents are famous singers and go on a tour. There car brakes down and they meet this roodie man, is name is Boone. He helps fix there car and Q's parents ...more
Charlie
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I.Q Independence Hall
BY: Roland Smith
Angel and Q are step brother and sister. There parents are two of the most famous musicians in the world. After getting married they head on tour. Immeaditley they are busy. A person named Tyrone Boone . comes up to their car. He is an old roadie who sets up the stage before concerts. But their is more to this Tyrone Boone than just being an old Roadie. Why would and old roadie. And how did Angela see her real mother while she was supposed to be dead.
Q is a
Philip
When I think of "pillars of young-adult literature" Roland Smith doesn't come to mind. Maybe he should. This is now my third book I've read by him. (I didn't realize that until I'd finished.)

I went in to the book thinking I was going to be reading a book about artificial intelligence. Boy, was I wrong. I swear I read that in a summary somewhere.

This is more like a teen 24 (Merry Christmas). Secret agents, terrorists, espionage, intrigue, the Israeli Mossad... it's all there, but on a more kid-fr
Lisa
I.Q. is a fast-paced mystery with likable teen characters and SOS (Some Old Spooks) teamed against the bad guys. Thirteen-year-old Quest and his new stepsister, 15-year-old Angela, are on a music tour with their newly married and newly famous musician parents. Not everyone on the tour is who they seem to be, and Angela learns that maybe her Secret Service mother didn't really die 4 years ago in the line of duty. This is the first in a series and was a complete story with a solid ending, not like ...more
Austin
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy-mystery
I've read Roland Smith's Cryptid Hunters series as well as the Zach's Lie duology, enjoyed them, so I gave this one a try. I was a bit dissapointed. For a spy type of book it lacked action. The was more magic then action in this book. It dragged at parts and was really unrealistic. The good part about Smith is he can write dialogue really well, but this takes away from scenes that could be more interesting.

This book was still a good read but the next book is a definite maybee. If I have nothing
Carol
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Promising first book in a new series for young adult readers, but this older adult found it engaging as well. Although the book requires some suspension of belief (and what good work of fiction does not?), there is plenty of connection with real life and plenty of excitement -- but not too much blood and gore -- at least not with this first entry.

As an adult raised in the cold war period, I found the SOS group especially appealing and wished fervently that it was real.

Looking forward to the next
Kristin
Apr 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle school students
Recommended to Kristin by: Cam, a student
Although a little hard to follow at first, I was really quickly absorbed into this spy/mystery/adventure story of a boy named Quest, or Q and his stepsister Angela. I really like Roland Smith and this seems like a great new series! Looking forward to Book 2, which I think should come with a CD. The story takes place on the national tour of the band Match, and talks about how popular their single "Rekindled" is. I want to hear it! :)
Cat
May 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I read this book in preparation for the author visiting the school where I work. It was interesting, and proved one thing to me: if you are passionate about something, and have the inclination and will to become an author, you can become an author.

The writing itself wasn't spectacular, but it could be interesting to kids. The story of two kids (both children of rock stars) who first become brother and sister, and then SPIES!, spun a fun tale, if not anything spectacular.
Kaia
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good. At first I thought it was actually kind of boring but then once you figured out who everybody was it was very interesting. In the beginning it changed point of views and I got confused because I couldn't figure out who the second point of view was from. But then I couldn't put the book down! It definitely made me ask my self some tough questions about what I would do if I was in the character's point of view.
Paige Y.
I like Roland Smith and I liked the premise of the book. I just found it a little disjointed and confusing in spots. Usually Smith's books demand all of my attention because I just have to know what happens next. This one I could put down and go do other things. I hope I'll enjoy the next installment more.
Jess713
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned

It's ok. I never finished reading it as it is a little bit tedious, but the plot is fascinating and the characters are great,
Brock
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GR8 BOOK LOVED PAGE 289 FAVORITE ONE!! CANNOT WAIT TO READ THE SECOND #CELLY
Paula  from Reading Lark
Zach's Lie/ Jack's Run, only better. :)
Marissa
Feb 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like this book because it was boring and it didn't interest me as much as most books do.
Hannah
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a really good book. I got sick today, so all I did really was read. I finished this book and it ROCKED!!! Can't wait for the next one!! =]
Ben L
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
goood book
Cassie
Jun 10, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i am reading this book now!!!!!
Chad
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I, Q” is the first in a series of books mainly written by Roland Smith that tell the story of Q and his new stepsister, Angela. Both Q and Angela’s parents are famous musicians, and kick off their year-long tour of the United States with their own wedding. As soon as the vows are said, the tour begins. But soon after the it starts, Q and Angela meet enigmatic Boone and his dog, Croc. Boone is supposedly an old friend of Blaze, Q’s mother, so they accept him as their own driver of the tour bus ...more
Eshaan
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eshaan Kak
25th May 2015
MYP 2.1
Language and literature

In this book, Quest Munoz or Q (14 years) and Angela Tucker’s (15 years) parents are singers and are going for a tour in the United States. Later in Nevada they met a roadie called Tyrone Boone and his dog Croc. Q and Angela always had a feeling that he has much more knowledge than a roadie. Later, Boone explains to them that he is a spy and he needs to track down a terrorist group known as the Ghost Cell. Apparently the Ghost Cell was respons
Greg
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended.

Wow, so many reviewers said they just didn't get the book, too much, too complicated, too many characters, too many spy agencies I didn't think it was that hard. I thought it was a hoot.

Wonderful characters. Always wondering what peripheral characters are on whose side. More basically, who is who? This guy is this, but, wait a minute, he's really that. What!? Oh, no, not really that after all!

Good story. What is really going on? So many mysteries, twists. Had me laughing in s
  • Escape from Shadow Island (Max Cassidy, #1)
  • The Challenge (Steel Trapp, #1)
  • Alibi Junior High
  • Sure Fire (Rich and Jade, #1)
  • Double Vision (Double Vision #1)
  • Do Not Pass Go
  • Jimmy Coates: Assassin? (Jimmy Coates, #1)
  • The Shadow Project (Shadow Project, #1)
  • H.I.V.E. Higher Institute of Villainous Education (H.I.V.E., #1)
  • Spy High Mission One
  • The Code
  • Diamonds in the Shadow
  • The Ring of Rocamadour (The Red Blazer Girls, #1)
  • The Great Wide Sea
  • Taken
  • Fledgling (Jason Steed, #1)
  • Trackers (Trackers, #1)
  • Killer Pizza (Killer Pizza #1)
Roland Smith is an American author of young adult fiction as well as nonfiction books for children.
Smith was born in Portland, Oregon, and graduated from Portland State University and, following a part-time job at the Oregon Zoo in Portland, began a 20-year career as a zookeeper, both at the Oregon Zoo and the Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma, Washington. After working to save wildlife following the E
More about Roland Smith...

I, Q (6 books)
  • The White House (I, Q, #2)
  • Kitty Hawk (I, Q, #3)
  • The Alamo (I, Q, #4)
  • The Windy City (I, Q #5)
  • Alcatraz (I, Q #6)