Start by marking “A Soldier's Heart” as Want to Read:
A Soldier's Heart

A Soldier's Heart

(Korbel Classics #4)

Over twenty years earlier, an unnamed nurse had struggled to pull Tony Riordan away from the brink of death. And now, Tony could see the confusion in Claire Henderson's eyes, could see her struggle with the same nightmare images that had haunted him for years. Claire Henderson had saved his life, and it was time to return the favor.
Paperback, Silhouette Intimate Moments #602, 256 pages
Published September 23rd 1994 by Silhouette Intimate Moments (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Soldier's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Soldier's Heart

Saly
A Soldier's Heart was a very deep and different book. It is about PTSD(post-traumatic stress disorder).

Tony Riordin served in the Vietnam war and he was one of the lucky one's he survived and came back and had a daughter Gina. He still has nightmares but with the help of his family he has tackled them. He is now ready to face the past which he tried to ignore and wants to thank the nurse that saved him, Claire. He tracks her down and sees in her eyes that she has not laid the ghosts to rest.

Clai
Cleo
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: keeper-shelf, m-f
Still one of my favorite romances that deals with PTSD.

Here’s a guest review I wrote for Dear Author - https://dearauthor.com/book-reviews/o...
SuperWendy
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this for the first time 20 years after the original publication date and it's pretty amazing how well it holds up and how revolutionary it still feels in a lot of ways. Older couple (in their 40s - huzzah!) and a military vet heroine who suffers from PTSD is not something you see every day in the genre, even today - even with more women serving in the military than ever before. The romance sometimes get a little lost under the weight of the emotional baggage, and while that normally would ...more
Erin Burns
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: openlibrary
This book caught my attention when I saw the Dear Author Classic Review because it's not often you see a book with a female protagonist with PTSD from war. It was originally published in 1995, so may be one of the first, if not the actual first romance novels to tackle PTSD in women. This book is available to check out from OpenLibrary https://openlibrary.org/books/OL35664... . As always with OpenLibrary, use Adobe Digital Editions to download the PDF version because it is a scanned copy of a ph ...more
Maria
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book about the aftermath of Vietnam War. A physically wounded hero, very strong and caring, helps the healing of a psychologically wounded heroine, with PTSD. Both had served in the conflict.
Well developed secondary characters. Some poignant and emotional moments. I felt that perhaps sometimes the plot stretches too much.
Published in the nineties - the hero has a moustache.
Melanie S
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best wounded warrior romance EVER!

Nowadays we know about PTSD. How returning vets suffer flashbacks, rages, survivor's guilt, shame - but back in the days of Vietnam? Heck, that's the war that finally forced us to see what combat does to the survivors. And we get it, about the soldiers. But what about the women? The nurses in medevac and MASH units who saw more blood and horror and death on a daily basis than many of the troops? The women who fought death and lost more often than most unit comma
Tracey
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A really good romance with some healing along the way.💗💞💗

Claire has spent almost twenty years ignoring and denying a huge part of her life. But she wasn't doing as a good of a job of it as she thought... and then Tony showed up, with the best of intentions.

This is a very emotional book about the acceptance and healing needed when anyone deals with a traumatic event, whether it's a military action or civilian.
Janet Graham
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars
Vietnam Veterans and PTSD
This is the best fictional depiction of Vietnam Veterans and their PTSD that I have ever read. I have read several memoirs from combat nurses. And, of course, there was China Beach. This book is an accurate portrayal of what our Veterans go through to deal with their experiences of war. From suicides to night terrors, hyper-vigilance and the difficulty in maintaining a solid life. This is at least a four-hanky book! I plan on keeping this book in my permanent libr
Pat
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so well written that I was glued to my kindle from the very first page! The well planned plot flowed flawlessly from page to page and the strongly written characters jumped right off the page and kept me prisoner as their beautiful story unfolded!
Laila Viking
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a beautiful and romantic story. It is well written and has a nice story line and plot. I like the way the characters are discribed and how they develop. The PTSD is so well incoorporated in this story and so well handled.
Captivating and enjoyable read.
Barbara
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will say if you are anything like me make sure you keep the kleenex handy! This was a beautiful well-written story that handled a delicate subject with understanding and care. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Thi
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me all the feels. I love anything that has to do with our military and I love it even more when a book deals with a female military personnel. They are so underrated and need to have their story told and heard.
Barb VanderWel
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Amy
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy by: DA thread on older H/h
Shelves: 2013, used
This book was recommended on a thread at Dear Author about older couples in romance. It was fairly cheap used on amazon so I ordered it. It was a timely read since the heroine was a nurse in Vietnam and her daughter kept referring to China Beach which I just recently was able to get on DVD. I thought it was a well done book and I couldn't put it down once I started reading it.
Karen Grage
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tony and Claire find each other at very different times in their 'post war' journeys. Their's is a heartwarming story but a difficult subject to contemplate at times.
J
DM
Feb 26, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Eileen Dreyer writing for Silhouette as Kathleen Korbel

Korbel Classics (8 books)
  • Jake's Way