Start by marking “Paco & the Giant Chile Plant” as Want to Read:
Paco & the Giant Chile Plant

Paco & the Giant Chile Plant

Based on the classic Jack and the Beanstalk, this work is set in the desert Southwest for the retelling with a twist.
Published October 1st 2008 by Raven Tree Press (first published February 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Paco & the Giant Chile Plant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paco & the Giant Chile Plant

Adams Eagles
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mauri D.

Review:
Paco and his mom did not gab food and money.Her mom said to go sell the cow. Paco see a man and the rider and the .The man said I want the cow said .Paco said for a plant and paco said yes. Paco go to the house to plant the plant.Paco guend for the plant and the guard ster murdin.Paco said the plan group Paco go up to see what is deor.

I like the part paco threw the chile and the faces and Paco ran to he house to tell his mom about the plant . I like the part Paco and his dad go
Gabriella Petrillo
"Paco and the Giant Chile Plant" by Keith Polette is such a cute little spin-off of Jack and the Beanstalk. I loved reading it and finding the similarities and differences throughout the book. It was mostly in English with a bit of Spanish words written throughout the tale. A great read for ELL learners who can make similarities to original tale of Jack and the Beanstalk. For instance, when you came across a Spanish word the definitions included the meaning in English with the picture helping th ...more
Mely
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I, myself, absolutely loved this book! The text is a mix of mostly English with Spanish words or phrases thrown in. The story is inspired by Jack and the Beanstalk but with a Hispanic American/Southwest twist to it. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous and the story itself totally captured my toddler's attention (though she was little apprehensive about the giant's character). I would definitely recommend this book for anyone. The only downside was I thought the ending fell just a
Olivia Aponte
Paco and the Giant Chile plant tells the story of the classic Jack and the Bean Stalk. I liked this book because it was written in English with a little Spanish throughout. The illustrations are soft and pastel which fits the Spanish desert setting.
Kelly
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great version of the old fairy tale
Lindsay
This story is a twist on the classic Jack and the Beanstalk story. Instead of magic beans, however, Paco gets some magic chile seeds. Instead of golden eggs, there are golden chiles. And the giant is...well, that's the surprise!

I used this story for a goats and pepper-themed Spanish story time. I also used it for the counterpart bilingual program. The pictures are nice and big, which is good when reading to a group. I also adapted the story as I read it since it is a little long for preschooler
Bookworm
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Paco and the Giant Chile Plant' is a fun read. It's written in English, but Spanish words are peppered throughout the story. Kind of how the popular cartoon, Dora The Explorer speaks, adding Spanish words throughout, this way children can learn.

This is a 'Jack and the Beanstalk' kind of story, but with a twist. Instead of 'Jack' it's 'Paco'.

And at the end of the story, there is a vocabulary page listing the Spanish words used in the book and translating them into English.

This was a cute read
Terry
May 01, 2008 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bilingual families, preschools, elementary schools
This is a dual-text bilingual book that transforms the classic "Jack and the Beanstalk" story. As good as the story is, I could turn the pages just to look at the illustrations, too. On one page, el gigante terrible is reaching out to the reader! Talk about engaging!

Read more of the review at the Reading Tub.
Angela Williams
Ages: 4th – 6th grade

Polette uses digitally rendered full-page illustrations to portray the southwest United States. The text is written in English Language with Spanish words used to repeat the English. Polette also includes a vocabulary list at the end of the story. Children will enjoy a new twist on an old favorite.

Social Studies/Reading

Lesson Idea: Students can incorporate their new vocabulary while learning about Southwestern United States Culture
Kristin Traina
Basically this book is different version of Jack and the Bean Stock. It is really cute with a latin twist and it has both spanish and english. It could easily be used for a lesson on plants or the plant life cycle and would probably engage hispanic ELL students. Could also be used for a lesson on fables or comparing different versions of the same story.
Grade: 1st- plants parts and needs, 2nd- plant life cycle, 4th and 5th- Fables
Lauren Suchomski
In this spin on Jack and the Beanstalk, Paco buys some magic chile seeds in exchange for his cow. A giant chile plant grows and Paco climbs up, hoping to find a treasure for his family. The ending is different than the traditional story, but it is still a good one to add to any unit on fractured fairy tales.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This reworking of the Jack and the beanstalk story had a couple of interesting twists at the end, which I enjoyed along with the interspersing of Spanish words in the English text. In fact, I think I like the way this version ended better than in the original fairy tale. Recommended!
Elizabeth
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I am the illustrator of this book - a Latino adaptation of "Jack and the Beanstalk." The book is presented in English with embedded Spanish in rojo and a vocabulary list in the back to jump start learning in either language.
Kory
Oct 16, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is another great bilingual book because it a classic story with a merging of English and Spanish together. There is a lot of Spanish words used throughout and the story also has a modern twist ending.
StrangeBedfellows
First off, I love the concept of bilingual books like this so that's where much of my appreciation comes from. The story itself was cute and fun, but what I really enjoyed was the quality of the artwork. The illustrations are absolutely fantastic.
Aliyah Caldas
Will be great for helping teach Spanish. Will be great in introducing spanish culture. Great way to incorporate more diversity in my classroom library.
Mollie B
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ay! Mis ojos! Voy a leer por hora de estoria y las mesas de Hispanicos.
Emily
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3rd-5th, ece-2nd
fractured fairy tale re: jack and the beanstalk
Bailey
This is a story about a different take on jack and the beanstalk. Great to use when talking about comparisons.
Philip Burt
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great retelling of a tale! The illustrations are full of flavor, too!
Leslie Muir
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Gorgeous,vibrant illustrations. A great retelling of a popular tale!
Wendy
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrenslit
Patty Barr
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different version of the Jack and the Beanstalk tale. this one includes lots of Spanish words, and quite a twist on the original story.
Brenda Kahn
Found this new-to-me twist on Jack and the Beanstalk with a southwest flair. Not sure the twist completely makes sense, but it sure woke my crowd up. Exuberantly illustrated.
Kate
Mar 02, 2009
Martha
Jun 01, 2010
1 follower
Elizabeth O. Dulemba was beamed to this planet with a pencil in her hand. Once she stopped chewing on it, she began to draw and write . . .
You can see her work in several books, including THE PRINCE'S DIARY, named No. 1 2006 Valentines Day Pick by Book Sense in conjunction with the Association of American Publishers (AAP). She has six books forthcoming in 2008, however the one she's most excited