Start by marking “Diary of Interrupted Days” as Want to Read:
Diary of Interrupted Days

Diary of Interrupted Days

Dragan Todorovicâs first book written in English won him a literary prize for non-fiction and predictions from readers that he was a novelist-in-the-making. The readers were right, as his exceptional first novel proves.

Diary of Interrupted Days is playful, blazingly intelligent, occasionally erotic and ultimately tragic, unfurling from the cliffhanger scene that opens the
Published March 10th 2009 by Random House Canada

To ask other readers questions about Diary of Interrupted Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of Interrupted Days

Start your review of Diary of Interrupted Days
Miz Moffatt
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Dragan Todorovic marks his English-language debut with Diary of Interrupted Days, a novel that explores the dissolution of three young lives during the disintegration of Yugoslavia in the 1990s. At the opening of the narrative, Boris returns to Belgrade in 1999 to mourn the death of his father -- this is the first time he has set foot in his home nation since he fled to Canada as a refugee in the mid-nineties. In the tense moments before a bomber jet obliterates the bridge he stands on, Boris ...more
1.1
Jul 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Quite an enjoyable read, with interesting musings on art and its relationship to life: unsurprisingly, this kind of philosophical digression works very well in a book whose primary characters are all artists in some way.

I caught a few (and I stress 'few') typos in the first 50 pages, but I suppose it is hard to find an editor who isn't sleepy now and then. The story is very enjoyable, but I couldn't really feel the first action parts. The style of writing is youthful and libidinous, so I could
Shonna Froebel
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
This is a story of Boris, a young artist who grew up in Yugoslavia and emigrated to Toronto in 1993. In 1999, he is on his way back to Belgrade for his father's funeral, and intends to bring his mother to Canada. The book takes us back to Boris' life in Belgrade, and the lives of his best friend Johnny and Sara, who was Johnny's girlfriend, but ended up marrying Boris and emigrating to Canada with him.
The book gives a real sense of the situation in what is now Serbia during this time period and
Tania
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A well-written collection of dreary introspection and creative patchwork of words, this cold yet appealing novel written by Dragan Todorovic will make a niche out of your chest as it is an emotional churner. Unavoidable truths and grim thoughts of the characters make you reflect and do some deep thinking. It is quite bleak and very serious, but nevertheless, a good read. Insightful and melancholic. Definitely a must read.
Jen
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a pretty amazing book. It's the story of 3 artists/peace activitss in belgrade during the time before, druing the serbian wars. sadie woudl probably like this book becuase of the dark humour, great lanaguage, and eastern European setting. I liked al of the above, plus the characters. It's amazing to me this book was written as the authro's first book in english.
Rachel
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011reads, canlit
The last of the Toronto Book Awards nominees, the one I put off reading, and in the end, my favourite. I'm really not a fan of war stories, which is what this sounded like, but in the end it was more about adjusting to living in a new country while still being tied to the Serbia-Croatia conflict. Nicely done and very emotional.
Patricia
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
very well written and enjoyable
Liviu
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
interesting for the most part and a page turner but ultimately left me with a bit of "so what" feeling
Lisa
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Aching portrayal of ex-Yugoslavs during the war. Who are you when your country ceases to exist?
Roberta