Start by marking “Love Runes (Gods and Chaos, #2)” as Want to Read:
Love Runes (Gods and Chaos, #2)

Love Runes

(Gods and Chaos #2)

God of Sex, Sam, and God of Love, Hector, have a unique relationship. They're into the BDSM lifestyle, and they both have some serious issues. Hector has a jealous bone, and Sam has an abusive ex. Their problems don't stop there; one of their biggest is that Sam refuses to grow up. Hector has no idea that Sam is literally paying the Goddess of Eternal Youth to keep him you ...more
Published May 14th 2008 by Torquere Press (first published May 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Love Runes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Runes

MLE
Feb 28, 2013 marked it as it-s-not-you-it-s-me
I figure when the little paragraph that tells you what the book is about makes you want to punch someone it is a good indicator that you should not read the book.

description

It's nice to know that the main problem is Sam's immaturity, not Hector's need to control EVERY freaking thing Sam does, and when I say every freaking thing, I mean EVERY ONE! It's also not Hector's irrational jealousy, or volatile temper. It's Sam's fault for just not doing everything Hector wants, just when Hector wants, and in EXACT
Jason Bradley
May 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
While I would have liked for this book to have been better proofed, I still could not keep from giving this book 5 stars for several reasons.

1. The author's complete understanding of the devastation of prior abuse on the psyche and the ability to write it so well that it pulls the reader into the panic and fear of the character.

2. OMFG HOT! The papi/boy scene was beyond hot. Please promise there is more of this in the third book? Please?

3. REAL pain in the BDSM scenes and a working knowledge
Lilia Ford
I liked this if anything more than the first book, Chaos Magic, mostly because I found it even hotter. Like some scenes were like wow, I can't believe I just read that. We're talking major one-handed stuff if yah know what I mean, (which you really should--know what I mean--and if you don't you should probably unfriend/unfollow me ASAP, no offense intended, and apologies for the TMI.)

Anyhoo, HOT stuff, HIGHLY recommended.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Why did it take me so long to read this book? I read the first in this series earlier and really enjoyed it. This second one is just as fabulous for me. This is a BDSM m/m SM Daddy kink delight!

The intermingling of gods and goddesses amongst the mortals is reminiscent of Greek gods and goddesses. The different types of deity are fabulous. The obvious God of Love, God of Sex are expected. I still love the Goddess of Traffic and Goddess of Negotiation. These were fun. In this latest book, Sam is s
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★☆ ~ 4.5 Stars
The honeymoon is over. Sam refuses to grow up and Hector is exceedingly jealous. And his jealousy can cause flashbacks to the abuse Sam endured and hasn't worked through.

While Hector tries to work on his issues, it doesn't seem like Sam is willing to work on his issues and this causes heartbreak and anger. Can they work through their issues before they're torn apart?
Kaje Harper
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm, intense, paranormal, m-m
I was really torn in rating this book. It is a worthy sequel to Chaos Magic and in this book I felt a better balance between the main characters. I still loved Sam, but I could see the times he messed up, and the effort that Hector was making with him. The secondary characters were a quirky and interesting bunch, and I loved the description of depression, as the grey God of Misery crawling into your lap.

My problem was at the end, so I have to spoiler it. (view spoiler)
Lily
Sam and Hector from Chaos Magic are back and hotter than ever in the second book of the series. Sam, the God of Sex and Hector, the God of Love are happy and in love but both still have major problems they are dealing with.

Hector is trying to deal with his jealousy and possessiveness and Sam has been hiding a secret from Hector, namely that he is paying the Goddess of Eternal Youth to keep him looking like a 19 year old boy. When Sam's deception comes to light and Hector tells him to leave Sam i
Eve
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
(view spoiler)
I liked the first book better, but this one shows the progress in their relationship, and I'm inte
J.L. Merrow
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love this series so much. Sam's relationship with Hector is so real, so believable - Hector's not one of your omniscient doms, despite the fact that as a god, he'd have an excuse! He's real, and human, and flawed.
I also particularly liked the way Sam's depression was handled.

A word of warning - if age-play scenes make you uncomfortable, there's one scene in here you might want to skim over. However, the author makes it plain that Hector knows the difference between what's real and what's fanta
Mandapanda
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: various-romance
This review is for books 2 and 3. I loved book one but found the subsequent two stories less appealing. The pain play was ratcheted up to a cringeworthy level and these scenes were repeated over and over without the same sexual tension and desperate love that characterised book one. Both Sam and Hector acted in unlikeable ways at times. I'm glad they got back together at the end but in hindsight I could have stopped at book 1 and not missed anything good.
Emily Moore
Sam and Hector are back and have embraced their new abilities as Gods. At the same time, they continue to work on their own relationship. Sam is Hector’s boy, but he struggles with accepting material gifts from his Master. Although he “plays” at submission, he has not fully given in to Hector’s domination. This consistently frustrates and angers Hector as he wants to move forward in their relationship but feels they are being constrained by Sam’s inability to grow up.

What Hector doesn’t realize
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
I give Love Runes five stars not just because this isn't sugar, glitter or chocolate-chip cookie kink, but a realistic (as realistic as having the Goddess of Traffic as your next-door neighbor can be) depiction of a full-time S&M relationship. It also gets five stars for showing a side of Los Angeles most authors totally ignore. Seal Beach rocks!

I love the multiracial/interracial aspects and there's no FAIL. Hector as the God of Love is Daddy Supreme and yet he's got issues which he's hones
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
The first half of the book was a bit repetitive. I liked seeing Hector trying to be a good partner for Sam. I felt Sam made a step back up to a certain point if compared with the Sam at the end of the previous book.

The second part of the book was better, in my opinion, because the plot became more complicated, especially with Marcus' appearance, and Sam had to handle his lacks and his fear of growing up.

I wasn't so mad at Hector this time. Even if he was oblivious to Sam's machinations, I think
Nene
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m, bdsm, pnr-mm
An excellent continuation. I wasn't as emotionally affected by this story as i was the first one, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the glimpses of Sam's family. There was a scene in this one that happened off screen--that's all I'll say to avoid spoilers--but I would sooooo love to read that scene. So so much. *nods*
Charly
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Liked it better than the first volume

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 8/10

PROS:
- The relationship depicted in this series is more complex than those in most m/m novels. Both characters are far from perfect: they argue and hide things from each other and do things that seem calculated to cause real emotional pain. The upside is that when one of them does or says something sweet, it seems real, which makes it that much sweeter.
- Lygon is a good writer
Line
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a copy-paste of my review from book 1, since I had almost the exact same feelings for this one as the first one, though I ended up skimming a wee bit in this one;

I know BDSM has become quite popular over time, and I have read quite a few books with that theme... BUT almost everytime, I end up reading the book with my mouth open and my fingers clutching my Kindle. And I think it's time to admit that the BDSM element, does not work for me, unless the characters are really witty/snarky/funn
Dylan St. Jaymes
*full review to come*

(2/04/2015) I'm in such a hurry to read the next book I can't be bothered to review properly right now. But here are my quick thoughts:

Brett is an unhelpful asshole. In case anyone is wondering, if you ever fear that a friend is in an abusive relationship don't behave the way Brett does in this book because it will A)escalate an already unstable and unsafe situation and B)isolate and alienate the friend you're trying to help and C) nobody likes an asshole m'kay.

Sam is bae.
Tam
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the continuation of Chaos Magic. Things have settle down a bit for Sam and Hector. Hector is going to therapy, Sam is trying to be good but they still have their moments. Hector buys Sam a motorcycle which causes some issues, as Sam’s impulse control is pretty much non-existent. Eventually Hector finds out why Sam looks so young which involves giving away his power. He is needless to say, not impressed and after a blow-up Sam leaves and is convinced by his ex that maybe Hector is done wi ...more
Stonemagpie
Jul 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, paranormal, erotica, magic
This is the sequel to Chaos Magic. I have to say I really like these books for the novelty if nothing else. I've never read anything else like them.

Love Runes is set in our day and age but it's one that's populated by all kinds of gods such as Love, Sex, Traffic, Eternal Youth, Fear. The story follows two characters, Sam the God of Sex (the book is written from Sam's POV) and Hector the God of Love. They are together and have a bdsm lifestyle.

It’s odd but it somehow works.

------
Slash Review
It's
Chris
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good kinky m/m urban fantasy series about a willful submissive who's also a powerful witch and who worships an unusual set of gods: the God of Traffic, The God of Negotiation, etc. As he tries to stay out of the way of his abusive ex, he meets a powerful and compelling dominant and his whole life changes.
Eyre
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one just as much as Chaos Magic. Sam still isn't the most submissive sub, but he and Hector are working on that. The way Sam's brain works and the way he deals with his insecurities is quite interesting. I love these two so much that I started book three as soon as I finished this one.
Brainorgan
This comes after Chaos Magic, which I enjoyed highly, and I was looking forward to the continuing adventures of Sam and Hector, but I had a hard time with where the consciousness was. It seemed to slip from our reality to another reality, and there were no markers that I could discern at least to indicate that. So I was confused, and did not finish.
Nichole (DirrtyH)
Aug 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Yes, these books are hot and entertaining, but omg, Sam was soooo frustrating! When you get to the end you realize that this was intentional and for a reason, and for the most part it's resolved, but it was so hard to get to the end because Sam was driving me so nuts.
Rose
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. I loved the ending, but I really didn't expect Sam's family to be that way. Oh well, they were awesome, and I can't wait to read the next one.
Kia Shiru
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quite a bit harder to read than the first one, the story didn't go as fast as it but great story anyway.
Em
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one as much as Chaos Magic, if not more. And my 'GOD' I loved the Papi/Boy scene halfway through and hopefully there is more of that in the next book !
Nancy L
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsmd-s, m-m, pnr, paranormal
At first I wasnt' so sure where the book was going but Jay really did a fantastic job tidying everything up in the end.
Maxine
Jun 25, 2012
Irene
Sep 22, 2012
J.
rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Word on a Wing
  • Be Brave (Angel and the Assassin, #2)
  • Bondage (Deviations, #4)
  • Mr. Benson
  • Uneven
  • Goldilocks and His Three Bears (Goldilocks #1)
  • Fun With Dick and Shane (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #1)
  • A Russian Bear (Russian Bear, #1)
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Braided (A Velvet Glove Novel)
  • Soft Focus
  • Obedience Training (Ian McAllistor #1)
  • Switch
  • Ellery's Duty (Thrown to the Lions #3)
  • Lee's Story (The Slave Breakers, #3)
  • Bound and Determined
  • Thirty Days (From Thirty Days to Forever, #1)

Gods and Chaos (4 books)
  • The Harem Boy
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • Personal Demons (Gods and Chaos, #3)