Jump to ratings and reviews

La ciudad y los perros

En 1962, La ciudad y los perros recibía el Premio Biblioteca Breve. Así comenzaba la andadura literaria de esta obra considerada una de las mejores novelas en español del siglo XX.Los personajes de La ciudad y los perros, un grupo de jóvenes que se «educan» en una disciplina militar implacable y violenta, aprenden a sobrevivir en un ambiente en el que están muy arraigados los prejuicios raciales y las diferencias entre clases sociales y económicas; donde todos se muestran como no son en realidad y la transgresión de las normas establecidas parece ser la única salida.

446 pages, Mass Market Paperback

First published January 1, 1962

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mario Vargas Llosa

347 books7,593 followers
Mario Vargas Llosa, born in Peru in 1936, is the author of some of the most significant writing to come out of South America in the past fifty years. His novels include The Green House, about a brothel in a Peruvian town that brings together the innocent and the corrupt; The Feast of the Goat, a vivid re-creation of the Dominican Republic during the final days of General Rafael Trujillo’s insidious regime; and Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter, a comedic semi-autobiographical account of an aspiring writer named Marito Varguitas, who falls in love with Julia, the divorced sister-in-law of his Uncle Lucho.

He is also a widely read and respected essayist, writing everything from newspaper opinion pieces to critical works on other writers, including The Perpetual Orgy on Flaubert.

Vargas Llosa is also active outside the literary arena, and was a serious contender for the presidency of Peru in 1990 (eventually losing to the now disgraced Alberto Fujimori), an experience he documented in his memoir, A Fish in the Water.

On the controversial nature of some of his work he said, “The writer’s job is to write with rigor, with commitment, to defend what they believe with all the talent they have. I think that’s part of the moral obligation of a writer, which cannot be only purely artistic. I think a writer has some kind of responsibility at least to participate in the civic debate. I think literature is impoverished, if it becomes cut from the main agenda of people, of society, of life.”

He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature for the year 2010, "for his cartography of structures of power & his trenchant images of the individual's resistance, revolt, and defeat".

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
710 (3%)
1 star
282 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,125 reviews
Profile Image for BlackOxford.
1,081 reviews67.8k followers
August 22, 2021
Lord of the Flies - With Guns

As a young man I attended a federal service academy in the United States for four years. So I identify with the conditions in the Peruvian equivalent that Vargas Llosa describes in excruciating detail. From the universal use of nicknames - half of them derogatory, the other half salacious - to the continuous, and often very creative, scheming to evade and outwit authority, to the intentional promotion of sadistic and vulgar brutality in the name of camaraderie, I find myself re-living the most painful, and painfully consequential, period of my life.

A rather disturbing transformation takes place in high-testosterone young males when confined together, voluntarily or not, and subjected to a highly regimented daily routine that is strictly enforced. Essentially they become amoral; every unregulated flaw, neurosis, or hiatus of maturity becomes exaggerated and enlarged in their resistance to a pervasive and arbitrary authority. And this regardless of their religious or ethical background. As Vargas Llosa has one of his characters muse about himself, “Sometimes he could go for several days following a routine that made all the decisions for him, gently nudging him into actions he hardly noted.” I think the reason for this sort of demonic spiritual ennui lies in the deprivation of not simply physical freedom, but - in the case of a military academy - the insistence upon the development of an attitude of extreme social dependence. The result is a kind of hypnosis.

“This place isn’t an Academy, it’s a prison,” says one of its officers. But not even prison puts the demand of spiritual conformity on its inmates, who are only expected to obey, not to admire, the violent ethos of their organization. In the military academy one becomes a stranger not only to one’s body as it is constantly stressed by activities that are meant to be tortuous, but also a stranger to one’s mind which is the real target of military indoctrination. As one of the officers in charge of the Peruvian academy exhorts his charges,“In the army, Cadets, you’ve got to have respect for symbols, damn it.” This process of ideological ‘formation’ continues for a full year without respite until one is expected to adopt the role of ‘formateur’, and do what was done to oneself, to others.

This intensive indoctrination, which is explicitly meant to dis-inhibit whatever ethical reservations one has about military service, is direct and unambiguous. For example: if any member of a unit screws up, all suffer. And all are informed why they suffer and who is to blame. The effect of collective guilt is invariable: the weakest in the unit, those who typically screw up, are persecuted by the group until they measure up or leave. If weakness is not found, it is fabricated in order to facilitate the system. Vargas Llosa knows the routine for creating a victim: “He was normal enough when he got here to the Academy, but you and the others gave him such a hard time you made an idiot out of him.”

Both the physical and psychological therapy are carried out by those who are only slightly older and more mature than those over whom one has charge. These ‘leaders’ have only recently undergone the same regime that they are expected to execute. The only training they receive is what they have undergone as victims one or two years previously. They believe, because they are taught, that it is their duty to become figures of unpredictable and sadistic authority to those subordinate to themselves.

Not infrequently, given a lack of experience, judgement, and conscience, their sadism becomes literal and is carried beyond the merely symbolic. And since there are severe restrictions on the access of adults (experienced officers) who could supervise the application of punishments to the barracks, it is not unusual for discipline to get grossly out of hand. As one of the protagonists points out: “The officers don’t know anything about what goes on in the barracks.” They are absentee warders who prefer not to know the details of barracks life lest they be held accountable. The lunatics do run the asylum.

Vargas Llosa captures this unique and uniquely primitive sociology of barely controlled violence so accurately that it gives me flashbacks. I have no idea whether conditions have altered very much in these institutions in recent decades. I doubt, though, that its essential intimidation and post-adolescent cruelty has been questioned. To eliminate these would be to abolish its core.

After a lifetime of experience in other business, academic and social institutions, I have encountered this kind of existence no where else. Its purpose remains a mystery to me since any practice of its mores outside its walls, even in the regular military, would be met with derision and resistance. During the VietNam war, my own epoch, young, ‘motivated’ West Point graduates were taught the limits of their academy ethos by ‘fragging’ in the field, that is, the killing of an officer by his own men. In The Time if the Hero, the inadvertent ‘escape’ of the academy mores threatens to destroy the entire Peruvian military. As the secret of its deptavity becomes public, the entire institution is compromised.

My experience suggests that the ‘outing’ of the military academy is a good thing. It deserves institutional criticism and castigation. I have never perceived that the experience of the military academy regime is in any way useful in building what is typically called character. The academy is an uncivilized existence which has no points of contact with family, business, or social life. Studies have shown that success during one’s academy training are entirely uncorrelated with one’s advancement in the service, much less one’s broader success or satisfaction in life. Rather, the reason that the sociology continues to exist, to the extent that it does, is that it has existed.

This is known as tradition, ‘we do it to them because it was done to us’. Tradition, from the Latin root tradere, a word connoting simultaneously ‘passing on’ and ‘betrayal’. Both Vargas Llosa and I have little doubt about which interpretation is more appropriate. Tradition is simply a rationalization for continuing abuse. I note with considerable dismay how many of my colleagues from those long-gone days support the kind of systematic political bullying of the current White House. Finally, they appear to believe, they have a Commander-in-Chief worthy of their own training and civic ideals. The effects of indoctrination are indeed penetrating and long-lived.

Vargas Llosa’s epigram from Jean-Paul Sartre neatly summarizes our common experience of the institution of the military academy and its consequences for the society that harbors it: “We play the part of heroes because we’re cowards, the part of saints because we’re wicked: we play the killer’s role because we’re dying to murder our fellow man: we play at being because we’re liars from the moment we’re born.” Perhaps the academy is, as Vargas Llosa implies in the way he presents his narrative alternately inside and outside its walls, merely a more intense, a concentrated version, as it were, of the male-dominated society that moulds it.
Profile Image for Ahmad Sharabiani.
9,568 reviews55.6k followers
October 10, 2021
La Ciudad y los Perros = The City and the Dogs = The Time of the Hero, Mario Vargas Llosa

The Time of the Hero is a 1963 novel by Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa, who won the Nobel Prize in 2010.

It was Vargas Llosa's first novel and is set among the cadets at the Leoncio Prado Military Academy in Lima, which he attended as a teenager.

The novel portrays the school so scathingly that its leadership burned a large number of copies and condemned the book as Ecuadorian propaganda against Peru.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه جولای سال 2006میلادی

عنوان: سالهای سگی؛ نوشته: ماریو وارگاس(بارگاس) یوسا؛ مترجم: احمد گلشیری؛ مشخصات نشر؛ چاپ نخست تهران، انتشارات کاروان در 1382؛ تهران، نگاه، 1384، در 560ص، فروست شاهکارهای ادبیات جهان، شابک 9643512134؛ چاپ یازدهم 1399؛ شابک9789643512132؛موضوع داستانهای نویسندگان پرو - سده 20م

سال‌های سگی، نخستین رمان از نویسنده ی مشهور «پرو»، «ماریو بارگاس یوسا» است، این رمان ایشان را برنده ی جایزه نوبل ادبیات کرد؛ «سال‌های سگی»، بر‌ خلاف ظاهرِ غلط‌ اندازِ سیاسی‌ اش، اثری به‌ شدت انسانی‌ است، و با تمام تلخی و آزاردهنده بودنش، بخش مهمی از زندگی نویسنده را، در خود ثبت کرده، و یادمانی جاودان، از سرگذشتِ زندگیِ یک انسان، در آستانه ی بلوغ، با تمام فراز و فرودهایش است؛ این کتاب سرگذشت نوجوانهایی فقیر و درمانده‌ اجتماعی‌ است، که به‌ تحصیل در دبیرستانی نظامی مشغول‌ هستند، و خواسته و ناخواسته، در معرض خشونت‌ و آسیب‌، قرار دارند

نقل نمونه متن: (بجای عبور از حیاط، آن را دور زد، و برای آنکار، دیوار منحنی آسایشگاه سال پنجمی‌ها را در پیش گرفت؛ به انتهای آنجا که رسید، با نگرانی اطراف را پایید؛ میدان سان، با چراغ‌ برق‌های قرین هم، که گرداگرد آن‌ها را مه ‌گرفته بود، وسیع و اسرارآمیز، به نظر می‌رسید؛ علفزار سراسر تاریک را در آن‌سوی چراغ‌ها، می‌توانست مجسم کند؛ نگهبان‌ها دوست داشتند در آنجا دراز بکشند، و هنگامی که هوا زیاد سرد نبود، به خواب می‌رفتند یا در گوشی صحبت می‌کردند؛ اما او مطمئن بود، که آن شب همه در یکی از مستراح‌ها، به قمار مشغولند؛ در سایه ی ساختمان‌های طرف چپ، به‌ سرعت شروع به رفتن کرد، در حالیکه سعی داشت خود را، از دایره‌ های نور، دور نگه دارد؛ برخورد خیزاب‌ها به صخره‌ های حاشیه ی یکی از زمین‌های دبیرستان نظام، جیرجیر پوتین‌هایش را محو می‌کرد؛ به آسایشگاه افسران که رسید، لرزید، و حتی تندتر گام برداشت؛ سپس میدان سان را میانبر زد، و خود را در تاریکی علفزار پرتاب کرد؛ حرکتی ناگهانی، در نزدیکی او، چون ضربه ‌ای تکان‌ دهنده، همه ترس‌هایی را که بر آن‌ها غلبه یافته بود؛ بازگرداند.؛ لحظه ‌ای دودل ماند، سپس چشم‌های لامایی را، به درخشندگی کرم شب‌تاب، تشخیص داد، که با نگاهی آرام و عمیق، او را می‌نگریست.؛ خشماگین گفت: «گورتو گم کن!»؛ حیوان بی‌حرکت باقی ماند؛ کابا اندیشید: «این حیوون لعنتی هیچ‌وقت نمی‌خوابه؛ حتی غذا نمی‌خوره، پس با چه چیزی زنده س؟»، به راه ادامه داد؛ دو سال و نیم پیش؛ هنگامی‌که برای ادامه ی تحصیل به لیما آمد، از دیدن آن حیوان کوهستانی، که در میان دیوارهای تیره و بادگیر دبیرستان نظام لِئونسیو پرادو، آرام پرسه می‌زد، شگفت‌زده شد؛ چه کسی این لاما را به دبیرستان نظام آورده بود؟ از کدام قسمت سلسله کوه‌های آند؟ دانش آموزان از او به ‌جای هدف استفاده می‌کردند، اما وقتی سنگ به او می‌خورد، کوچک‌ترین اعتنایی نمی‌کرد؛ همین‌قدر با نگاهی حاکی از بی‌اعتنایی محض، از آن‌ها دور می‌شد؛ کابا اندیشید «حالت سرخپوست‌ها رو داره»، به ‌سوی کلاسها، از پلکان بالا رفت؛ حالا جیرجیر پوتین‌ها نگرانش نمی‌کرد، ساختمان به ‌جز میزهای تحریر، نیمکت‌ها، و باد و تاریکی، خالی بود؛ شلنگ‌انداز راهرو طبقه بالا را پیمود؛ سپس ایستاد؛ نور ضعیف چراغ ‌قوه، راه را، به او نشان داد؛ «جاگوار» گفته بود، شيشه دوم، از دست چپ؛ و آری، درست گفته بود، شيشه لق بود؛ کابا با ته سوهان شروع به کندن کرد؛ خرده ‌ها را در دست دیگر جمع می‌کرد؛ مرطوب و پوک بودند)؛ پایان نقل

تاریخ بهنگام رسانی 13/08/1399هجری خورشیدی؛ 17/07/1400هجری خورشیدی؛ ا. شربیانی
Profile Image for Michael Finocchiaro.
Author 3 books5,418 followers
April 6, 2022
Mario Vargas Llosa's first book, based on his own experiences in a military academy, is a great read and certainly demonstrates the qualities of writing that he used later and that eventually earned him a deserved Nobel Prize for Literature in 2010. The narration is non-linear and post-modern in that the voice shifts from 3rd person to 1st person and the story is told from several perspectives at once. What looks like a relatively simple story of revenge becomes something much bigger - the conditioning of young men into thoughtless soldiers, the appalling way that men treated women in Peru (I suppose that hasn't changed), the hypocrisy of upper command which always protects reputation above everything else, the desperation of being bullied and the inevitable creation of bullied...The primary character Alberto has incredible depth (and is a rather obvious standin for Vargas Llosa himself). The captain Gamboa is not the person who we think he is and is drawn out perfectly. The one confusing bit to me was the focus on the Boa character and why he had an allegiance to the Jaguar. This is a rather minor point however because the entire narrative is captivating. There are truly moments when the reader feels he is walking in Lima and its suburbs and the descriptions of life at the academy are frankly terrifying. The Leoncio Military Academy exists in real life and was so scandalized by the book that they burned 100 copies of it shen it came out.

Another interesting aspect of The Time of the Hero is racism. Peru was of course created from the wreckage of the Spanish conquering of the Incas by Pizarro and subsequent local wars that carved out the modern states of Columbia, Paraguay, Ecuador, and Chile. When Gamboa comes to see the Jaguar in lockup, he is surprised that the boy is not a "half-breed" like most of the kids in the Academy. There is another narrative earlier in the book, although it was hard for me to understand if it concerned Alberto or the Jaguar or someone else, where the family is a bit surprised to send this apparently white kid into the academy which they perceived as being full of half-breeds and savages. Now, I have unfortunately never visited Peru, but I have had several Peruvian friends over the years, so I know that by "half-breed", they are referring to descendants of the Spanish colonists with the descendants of the various tribes that survived after the fall of the Incas. There is a sense of derision whenever the poorer people from the mountains - the Indians - when references to them are made. I recall that, indeed, there was this sense of superiority in Peruvian "whites" over the people with Indian origins - such as the Cava who is ignominously humiliated and rejected from the school with hardly any sign of sadness or regret from his co-cadets. And added to this was the even worse stigma attached to people of black skin like the Slave and Verano in the academy. Vargas Llosa was describing a four-tiered system of prejudice with whites at the top, half-breeds next down, pure Indians, and then descendants of slaves with black skin at the bottom. There were also references to Chinese immigrants but they were more of a commercial nature and not really referred to in the social hierarchy. Again, having no knowledge of Lima and how the neighbourhoods are populated, numerous references are made to the apparently more affluent Miraflores quarter with its beaches compared to the less attractive suburbs and slums from which characters like the Boa originated. This is another interesting layer to the portrait that Vargas Llosa paints of the Lima of his youth.

This book also reminded me of Cat and Mouse by fellow Nobel laureate Gunter Grass where Grass describes life in a Nazi Youth school. Equally brutal and deadly - another awesome book if you have not read it yet.

I would highly recommend The Time of the Hero to fans of Vargas Llosa although it would be better to read Aunt Julia or The Feast of the Goats to get a better feel for his style before this book, because I enjoyed learning about him after reading his more mature work. This was my 5th book of his, but certainly not my last. He is quickly rising in my favorite authors list, at least tied with Marquez now.

Fino's Mario Vargas Llosa Reviews:
Fiction
The Cubs and Other Stories (1959) TBR
The Time of the Hero (1963)
The Green House (1966)
Conversation in the Cathedral (1969)
Captain Pantoja and the Special Services (1973)
Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter (1977)
The War of the End of the World (1981)
The Real Life of Alejandro Mayta (1985)
Who Killed Palomino Molero? (1987)
The Storyteller (1989)
In Praise of the Stepmother (1990)
Death in the Andes (1996)
The Notebooks of Don Rigoberto (1998)
The Feast of the Goat (2001)
The Way to Paradise (2003)
The Bad Girl (2007)
The Dream of the Celt (2010)
The Discrete Hero (2015)
The Neighborhood (2018)
Harsh Times (2021) TBR

Non-Fiction
The Perpetual Orgy (1975)
A Fish Out of Water (1993)
Letters to a Young Novelist (1998)
Profile Image for Vit Babenco.
1,376 reviews3,196 followers
July 21, 2021
“We play the part of heroes because we’re cowards, the part of saints because we’re wicked: we play the killer’s role because we’re dying to murder our fellow man: we play at being because we’re liars from the moment we’re born.” Jean-Paul Sartre
This epigraph to the novel is totally definitive to its contents… The English title of the book The Time of the Hero is an allusion to this epigraph while its Spanish title translates literally as The City and the Dogs. The narration is polyphonic, nonlinear and quite innovative in style.
The events of the tale take place in the Military Academy… Commanders and cadets… Masters and dogs…
“Sometimes they think we’re priests,” Huarina said. “One cadet even wanted me to hear confession, he wanted me to give him advice. Believe it or not.”
“Half of them are sent here so they won’t turn out to be gangsters,” Gamboa said. “And the other half, so they won’t turn out to be fairies. It’s their parents’ fault.”

Thievery and deception… Bullying and cruelty… Treachery and enmity… A severe pecking order rules the place…
We didn’t see the colonel either but that didn’t matter, I know him by heart, why do you smear on so much hair oil, don’t talk to me about military bearing because I think about the colonel, if he loosens his belt his stomach plops to the ground and what a laugh, that face he puts on. I think the only things he likes are assemblies and parades, look at my boys, how trim they are, oompah, oompah, the circus will now begin, with my trained dogs, my trained fleas, my rope-walking elephants, oompah, oompah.

Some heroes fight on the side of truth and some heroes fight on the side of lies… And those who fight on the side of lies win.
Profile Image for Jorge.
107 reviews29 followers
October 1, 2009
Las primeras 50 páginas cuesta agarrarle el ritmo, porque es una historia con muchos personajes, muchos cambios de narrador y de enfoque, saltos temporales y Vargas Llosa ni siquiera pierde tiempo en contextualizar la historia.

Al final, esto se agradece: Vargas Llosa escribe para un lector atento, inteligente, que pueda seguirlo en su juego de saltos de perspectiva, de tiempo y de espacio, que van tejiendo una historia de adolescentes brutales, marginales, entre los que la única forma de ganarse un espacio en su colegio militar es siendo el más violento y el más astuto.

Es una historia de animalitos enjaulados que se creen adultos porque fuman, porque beben, porque se acuestan con putas, porque saben dar cabezazos y porque saben burlar a los adultos.

Es una historia de abusos: de los adolescentes entre ellos, de los adultos a los adolescentes, de las instituciones a todos los demás. Y todo enmarcado en una tragedia que, a fin de cuentas, no le importa a nadie, porque en ese mundo despiadado una vida es mucho menos valiosa que un ascenso.

La última parte del último capítulo es notable: los saltos temporales ocurren de una línea a otra, como si fuese una edición cinematográfica, y, a esas alturas, resulta muy sencillo seguir la historia.

Para terminar, La ciudad y los perros es una tremenda obra no sólo por su forma de tratar los temas que toca, sino sobre todo por su forma de narrar la historia, con un estilo que sólo se aproxima al de una excelente edición cinematográfica.
May 8, 2020
Αν μπορώ να πείσω κάποιον γιατί αυτό το μυθιστόρημα των 500 σελίδων αποτελεί αριστούργημα, θα αναφέρω απλώς ότι το αγόρασα ένα Σάββατο του 2009 στις 4 το απόγευμα, άρχισα να το διαβάζω στις 5 και το τέλειωσα ξημερώματα Κυριακής 05:57 όπως διαβάζω στο πρώτο φύλλο!!!
Profile Image for Maziyar Yf.
453 reviews204 followers
September 8, 2020
و باز هم یک اثر خیره کننده از استاد یوسا
کتابهای جناب یوسا هر کدام صاحب سبک هستند . در اینجا هم باز با تعداد زیادی شخصیت ( در این کتاب نوجوان) طرف هستیم و مطابق روال کاری نویسنده با یک داستان غیر خطی . کتاب مشت خود را بسته نگه می دارد و ما حتی تا آخرین صفحه کتاب هم با ابهام در شناسایی شخصیت ها رو برو هستیم
داستان مربوط به تعدادی نوجوان در پرو هست که به صلاحدید خانواده هایشان که اکثریت هم فقیر هستند وارد یک آکادمی نظامی شدند که به قول ما ایرانیها مرد بار بیان .
و ماجراههایی در کتاب رخ میده که عملا زندگی شخصیت های اصلی کتاب را عوض می کنه با در نظر گرفتن این نکته که نوجوانهای داستان ، سالهای بلوغ خود را در آکادمی سپری می کردند ، می توان تصور کرد که چه عذابی کشیده اند .
باز هم به روال نویسنده شاهد اعطاء تعدادی لقب به شخصیت های داستان هستیم مثله : شاعر ، مردنی ؛ برده ، کاکا که فضای داستان را ملموس تر می کند .
خودم به شخصه از این احتمال که یکی از دو شخصیت اصلی داستان ممکن است که رستگار شده باشد واقعا خوشحال شدم .

******
کتاب سالهای سگی نوشته ماریو بارگاس یوسا کبیر همان سبک خاص استاد را دارد ، یک ماجرای غیر خطی با راوی های مختلف که هویت آنها برای خواننده فاش نمی شود ، حس تعلیق در سرتاسر داستان حاکم است ، تا جایی که خواننده را ممکن دچار اشتباه در قضاوت افراد کند .
استاد در زمان سفر می کند ، او کتاب را با نقطه عطف دزدیدن سوالات امتحان شروع می کند ، کمی بعد به عقب بر می گردد ، به والدین معمولا فقیر نوجوانان داستان ما سری می زند ، سپس نقطه اوج داستان را طرح می کند ، نمای کلی یک سیستم فاسد را نشان می دهد ، سیتمی برای سرپوش گذاشتن بر روی مشکلات و تبعید افراد با کفایت.
اما یوسا امید را هم زنده نگاه می دارد ، از برخاستن آلبرتو شاعر علیه حلقه و فاش شدن جنایت تا ستوان درستکار که دنبال حقیقت می گردد.
اما در داستان یوسا قرار نیست حقیقت فاش شود ، سیستم فاسدی که او ترسیم کرده به قدری قوی ایست که حقیقت را در نُطفه خاموش می کند ، قاتل به دنبال زندگی خود می رود و خبر چین که پاداش خیانت خود را گرفته به آمریکا .
فقط خونی می ماند که ریخته شده ولی ارزش پیگیری ندارد ، ستوان سالمی که به تبعید می رود و مُردنی ، سگ گرسنه و چلاق داستان که استاد او را به امان خدا رها می کند تا اسمش زینت بخش سالهایی باشد که در پادگان گذرانده شده :

سالهای سگی

Profile Image for Sonia.
166 reviews369 followers
May 6, 2017
La ciudad y los perros deja, tras ser leído, un gran silencio de respeto en tu mente.

¿Cómo hablas de lo mucho que te ha gustado un libro cuando su contenido es tan odioso, repulsivo y violento? ¿Cómo hablas de unos personajes machistas, abusivos, pervertidos y trastornados y al final decides que a lo mejor no han tenido la culpa? Miren lo que ha logrado Vargas Llosa, hablando de una falsa educación e ideas retorcidas de virilidad, moralidad, disciplina y justicia como si fuera natural, pero con un tono que te dice claramente que no se trata de otra cosa que una crítica directa (si no, pregúntenle a las autoridades que quemaron mil ejemplares en el patio del colegio en el cual se ambientó esta novela, que además tuvo como alumno al mismísimo autor). Y no es una crítica a los alumnos del Leoncio Prado, que no han sido más que víctimas de las "doctrinas" inculcadas para enderezar a un muchacho, sino a la misma milicia, a sus impostores, a sus conveniencias, y todo lo que repercute en esa juventud que no hace más que actuar en consecuencia de lo que se les está quitando, la inocencia.
Voy a ser completamente sincera porque este libro empecé a leerlo el año pasado y tuve que dejarlo. Supongo que no estaba lista para el martillazo en el cráneo que representa esta obra. También porque me supone un reto la literatura hispanoamericana y ha sido un gigante que he tenido que enfrentar, pero aquí estoy, y así estuve, pegada a este libro hasta que lo terminé e impresionada por la complejidad casi insuperable de este autor. Estas obras, para que gusten, tienen que entenderse muy a fondo, si no solo parecerán un montón de páginas llenas de podredumbre y perversión social que no tienen ningún sentido. Pero uno llega a entender a los personajes. Uno acaba comprendiendo el origen del racismo y la maldad, el deseo de poder y jerarquías, las creencias ajenas, la vergüenza, todo, pero no lo justificas, solo entiendes, ya no estás en penumbra.

Aplaudo la superposición, siempre simultánea, de las perspectivas de este libro. De los puntos de vista de los diferentes personajes que arrojaban dudas o respuestas, que te hacían retroceder y cuestionarte lo que habías deducido, porque si fue o no este el culpable, si es o no este un cobarde, todo eso da giros sin parar que te hacen dudarlo absolutamente todo para que al final venga el mayor choque de todos, eso que sospechabas pero no te atrevías a concluir definitivamente. Las herramientas utilizadas para sujestionar al lector fueron muy poderosas. Unas perspectivas muy objetivas, otra subjetivas, otras mixtas, una omnisciente, una en tercera y algunas en primera persona; hay que meterse de lleno en el libro para llevar la secuencia sin perderte porque de un párrafo a otro ya no habla el mismo personaje, y puede que del presente haya un salto al pasado de otro personaje, lo cual te ayuda a vislumbrar su futuro o a entender el presente ajeno que acabas de leer. Es todo un rompecabezas muy bien armado, intercalado, claro está, para trabajar la audacia de quien lee.
El diálogo final ha sido estupendo. Esa mezcla de una conversación con otra, de una pregunta formulada en el presente y que la respuesta no sea de entonces sino del pasado, de otra persona ausente, me maravilla porque no cualquier autor tiene el poder de llevarlo a cabo de una manera tan prolija que el lector sepa de inmediato de qué se trata.

Me ha encantado la ambientación tan concreta. La ubicación espacial de cada acontecimiento, con referencias y nombres, que casi me ha llevado hasta el Perú y me ha ayudado a seguir a cada chico por las calles de su barrio o por los pasillos del colegio, principal escenario. Nos ha sumergido en cada vida de una manera casi demasiado personal, invasiva.

El Jaguar, El Poeta, Boa, Cava y El Esclavo son personajes inolvidables. Ambiguos, extraños, perdidos, inadaptados, pero con una historia que marca, contada de una manera tan incisiva que asusta. Y no te deja olvidar.
Profile Image for Davide.
487 reviews101 followers
March 7, 2019

Perché non avevo mai letto prima un romanzo di Vargas Llosa? Per nessuna ragione precisa, credo; soltanto per il motivo più invincibile: non si può leggere tutto quello che si vorrebbe.
Poi un certo giorno si è creato il giusto incrocio di occasioni (una prima edizione italiana trovata su una bancarella, un momento in cui non c'erano altri libri già iniziati a portata di mano...) e La città e i cani mi è piaciuto così tanto che ho aggiunto al volo nei "da leggere" il romanzo che Vargas Llosa scrisse subito dopo: La casa verde.

Allora, la "città" è Lima e i "cani" è il soprannome dato ai cadetti del collegio militare Leoncio Prado, dove vige un terribile clima di sopraffazione e violenza, che soffoca quasi completamente le aspirazioni all’amore e all’amicizia. La cultura dominante (anche fuori) è intrisa di machismo, razzismo, classismo: i padri mandano i figli come interni nel collegio militare per farli diventare “veri uomini”; se hanno molte amanti le mogli si disperano ma tutti pensano che sono dei “dritti”; ci sono continue battute violente contro i "negri", i "montanari", i "finocchi".

In questo clima generale, colpisce subito la grande capacità di far emergere un po' per volta molti personaggi (il Poeta, lo Schiavo, il Giaguaro, il Boa, Cava, ecc.), che via via sostengono i diversi momenti della narrazione non solo con il loro punto di vista, ma proprio con la loro parola, che a volte scivola verso il flusso di coscienza. Con l'aggiunta di andirivieni temporali, che complicano le cose, ma anche le approfondiscono.

Non si può dire di più senza rovinare l'esperienza della lettura, che è anche una coinvolgente ri-costruzione dell'insieme da parte del lettore, ma basti dire che si arriva ad ammirare anche quanto è saldamente governata la struttura complessiva.

Soprattutto nella seconda parte si delineano con nettezza i temi principali, che ruotano intorno alla lealtà e al tradimento, alla competizione e al desiderio triangolare; e si allarga l’attenzione dai cadetti anche agli ufficiali, e quindi all’istituzione nel suo complesso.

Ovviamente non si può dire nulla nemmeno sul finale, se non che dà soddisfazione al lettore per il piacere del riunirsi delle trame disperse, per la comprensione delle allusioni e per il sentimento di organica rappresentazione di un mondo nelle sue sfaccettature. Anche se, in fondo, è realisticamente sconfortato.
[2017]

p. s. La traduzione di Enrico Cicogna è ovviamente invecchiata (leggo esattamente cinquant’anni dopo la prima edizione italiana), ma sembra invecchiata bene: è solo una sensazione di lettura, non ho fatto nessun tipo di controllo, però alla lettura è efficace.

p.s. 2 Ieri (13 giugno 2017) mi è arrivato La Casa Verde...

p.s. 3 E ora vedo che La città e i cani, con La Casa Verde, e con la Conversazione nella Cattedrale è entrato anche nel primo volume dei Romanzi nei Meridiani, a cura di Bruno Arpaia.

p.s. 4 E bene ho fatto a leggere anche la Casa Verde!
Profile Image for Luís.
1,793 reviews431 followers
January 26, 2023
An unconditional reader of Vargas Llosa, I regularly enjoy discovering her bibliography backward. This first novel, written in Paris at the age of twenty-three, already gives an idea of ​​the author's narrative power and ability to immerse us in a colorful story.
In Lima, The Dogs are the young recruits of a military college with muscular methods.
Based on his own boarding school experience, Mario Vargas Llosa gives us a picture of schooling based on the balance of power between educators and students and even among adolescents. It is a quasi-prison universe where everything is negotiated behind the scenes, a microcosm of clandestine pack organizations, a motley mix of young people from all walks of life, from the bourgeois to the most modest sections of the population.
We go to college to become a man, avoid delinquency, and not become "queers." Instead, it is the education of masculinity and machismo through organized fights, reprisals, and denouncements.
We are hazed, mistreated, and consigned. We can be caid or suffer from pain. We put up with officers, obtuse most of the time, or integrity with a bit of luck.
This book is a novel of learning par excellence with dense, sometimes suffocating writing twirls in twists and turns, time and place. Paragraphs of dialogues tangled like a cacophony of conversations, interweaving insults, provocations, threats of a sexual nature, swearing, and schoolboy humor. It often takes concentration! The parallel life of boys in their external family environment and their romantic desires becomes a recreation.
An excellent chronicle of Latin American society added to the author's bibliography concerning his Peruvian cycle.
Profile Image for Yani.
412 reviews171 followers
April 17, 2015
Debería decir que esta novela no me gustó. Porque es violenta, porque es racista, porque es machista, porque los personajes son un asco, víctimas y victimarios de las circunstancias, porque los odié y etcétera. Y sí, he pensado en eso unas cuantas veces, pero la novela, independientemente de su temática, fue más fuerte que yo: La ciudad y los perros me encantó. No podía dejar de leer. Ni siquiera las perspectivas alternativas y la narración fluida y apretada pudieron hacer que abandonara el libro (de hecho, hicieron que me gustara más).

La historia arranca en el momento en que un grupo de alumnos del Colegio Militar Leoncio Prado planea robar un examen. Esto trae consecuencias que van a desatar toda la novela hasta que termina y eso me sorprendió: de una travesura se desprenden hechos y así se van articulando las vidas de los personajes (el Jaguar, Cava, Boa, Alberto, el Esclavo y demás), ya que la novela no se centra sólo en la estadía de estos durante el período escolar. De esta forma, el lector se irá enterando en medio del camino de los motivos de la elección de esa educación, de las cargas de los alumnos, de las expectativas, de las frustraciones. Pero también están los episodios en los que los jóvenes se rebelan ante la dura disciplina del colegio, que intenta hacerles adoptar a la fuerza una postura incómoda (o no tanto, porque a algunos les sale bien): hombres serios, derechos, bien machos, fieles a la patria. Todos están estrictamente vigilados por las autoridades del colegio, que imponen castigos y humillan a los alumnos cuando se les da la gana, pero que también se maltratan entre sí. El problema está en que esa presión que ejercen encuentra una escapatoria, porque los chicos rompen las reglas igual (fuman, toman alcohol, pelean).

Hay escenas revulsivas que esperaba desde el momento en que leí que era un internado de varones, porque ya me había topado con una novela con una temática parecida y no pude evitar compararlas. Esta es mucho peor, vale aclarar. En el plano de lo sexual se puede esperar cualquier cosa, pero lo que me pareció “nuevo” (por llamarlo de alguna manera) fue el brutal trato que se tenían los jóvenes durante la convivencia. Sin embargo, aquí no hay ovejas blancas: la violencia es cíclica, el daño se recibe y luego se distribuye a otro, sin miramientos. La rabia no es sólo física, sino que también es verbal (en la novela se insultan muchísimo usando las divisiones regionales y las cuestiones de hombría, por ejemplo). Ni siquiera Alberto, el que engaña con su apodo de “Poeta” y parece ser medianamente reflexivo, se salva. Y, sin embargo, ninguno tiene la culpa.

Llega un punto en donde la novela da un giro y ya no se puede adivinar el futuro. Nunca supe qué iba a pasar, porque Vargas Llosa se vale de los cambios de perspectivas y produce un engaño que funciona (o que funcionó conmigo, al menos). Uno arma su teoría, pero sólo en el final comprueba si era acertada o no. El estilo parece sencillo, no hay términos rebuscados. La única dificultad para los lectores distraídos viene de la mano de la narración que da saltos temporales (hacia atrás y hacia adelante) y cambia los personajes que llevan la historia, además de usar distintos narradores para cada punto de vista (algunos están en primera persona y otros en tercera). Esto es muy interesante porque en los episodios en primera persona uno se mete en los pensamientos de los personajes. Uno se vuelve ellos y te atrapan.

Casi todo lo que conté sonó horrible, incluso hasta repelente, pero es bueno saber que Vargas Llosa está exponiendo y criticando, no avalando. No es lo mismo. Leí que él fue a esa escuela y, por lo tanto, pudo aportar un poco de sus conocimientos sobre ese sistema de educación (si se le puede llamar “educación”). Esta novela me resultó muy interesante por su planteo, por su falta de moderación. Cuando uno la lee se siente mal, es muy provocativa e invita a reflexionar de una manera poco suave, como si te estuvieran zamarreando. Tal vez me lo haya tomado en serio, pero eso es lo que me sucedió. Por supuesto, tengo ganas de seguir leyendo a Vargas Llosa porque me causó una buena impresión con su literatura.
Profile Image for Ιωάννα Μπαμπέτα.
251 reviews32 followers
September 4, 2020
Τι βιβλίο ήταν αυτό! Τι φοβερός συγγραφέας! Ο Λιόσα περιγράφει μια μικρογραφία της κοινωνίας μας όπου ο νόμος της ζούγκλας είναι και ο μοναδικός. Όσο πιο δυνατός, πιο σκληρός και πιο βάναυσος είσαι, τόσο πιο εύκολα θα επιβιώσεις.
Δύσκολο ανάγνωσμα γιατί οι πρωταγωνιστές είναι παιδιά. Οι συνθήκες της σχολής είναι τέτοιες που αναγκάζονται τα παιδιά αυτά να αλλάξουν, να σκληραγωγηθούν και να γίνουν «άντρες». Όμως τι γίνεται με τον έρωτα; Όταν ο έρωτας κάνει την καρδιά να δακρύσει, τότε πολλά μπορούν να συμβούν. Μια κλεψιά παίρνει άλλες διαστάσεις και ο θάνατος καραδοκεί.
Είναι ένα συγκλονιστικό βιβλίο σκληρό αλλά και αληθινό. Με καρδιοχτύπι το διάβαζα, με καρδιοχτύπι το τελείωσα, με καρδιοχτύπι το σκέφτομαι.
Profile Image for Mohammad J.
58 reviews3 followers
May 26, 2019
واسه منى كه تو ارتش خدمت كردم تمام رفتارها و گفته ها و اتفاقات بين سربازها و ستوان ها و سرهنگ هاى توى كتاب؛ كاملا قابل درك بود و مثل مرور كردن خاطرات خدمت بود!
رمان واقعا جذاب و فوق العادست؛ روايت غير خطى از حال و گذشته، همچنين به صورت اول شخص از ديد چند شخصيت مختلف و سوم شخص از ديد راوى براى شخصيت هاى مختلف؛ يك چالش جذاب رو به همراه داره.

تطبيق دادن واقعيت با مقررات يا مقررات با وقعيت؟! مسئله اين است...
Profile Image for Reza Mardani.
172 reviews
February 4, 2015
۱. یادمه سال ۹۲ بود و من و امیر دوران آموزشی سربازی رو میگذروندیم. نمایشگاه کتاب شروع شده بود و ما تصمیم گرفتیم تو مرخصی آخر هفته بریم یه سری بزنیم و چند تا کتاب بخریم.
آخر هفته شد و ما با همون لباس های سربازی از اتوبوس قزوین تهران پیاده شدیم و مستقیم با مترو رفتیم مصلی. بگذریم که اونجا طوری نگاهمون میکردن که انگار سرباز و کتاب یه تناقض ابدی باهم دارند.
چاپ جدید کتاب ها اومده بود و قیمت ها به طرز عجیبی بالا رفته بود. ما هم جلو هر غرفه که می ایستادیم دنبال کتاب های چاپ قدیمی و ارزون بودیم.
داشتیم کتاب های انتشارات نگاه رو ورق می زدیم که خانوم فروشنده شروع کرد باهامون صحبت کردن. از تحصیلاتمون پرسید و از سربازی. دست آخر هم کتاب سال های سگی رو بهمون پیشنهاد کرد و گفت که مناسب حال الان شماست.
قیمت پشت جلد رو که دیدیم چشمامون سیاهی رفت. اومدیم کتاب رو پس بدیم که فروشنده با کلی اصرار رفت سراغ مدیر غرفه و یه تخفیف پنجاه یا شصت درصدی ازش گرفت.
خیر ببینه، الان که کتاب رو خوندم واقعا راضیم ازش. با خودم قیمت پشت جلد رو نگاه می کنم و می گم نوش جونتون ؛)
۲. روایت داستان ک�� از نظر راوی های مختلف جلو میره. فلش بک ها همش عالیه. شاید اولش ارتباط برقرار کردن باهاشون سخت باشه ولی کم کم که آشنا میشین با لحن هر شخصیت و فضایی که قرار داره، واقعا لذت بخش میشه.
۳. جزو اون کتاب هایی بود که دوست نداشتم تموم شه
۴. جگوار٬ جگوار٬ جگوار ... ؛)
Profile Image for Zaphirenia.
278 reviews189 followers
May 7, 2018
Στη μέση στρατιωτική σχολή Λεόνσιο Πράδο οι σπουδαστές (ευέλπιδες) είναι έφηβοι, μικρά παιδιά που έχουν όλες τις αγωνίες, τους φόβους και τα προβλήματα των παιδιών της ηλικίας τους. Μόνο που ταυτόχρονα είναι στο στρατό και αυτό τα αλλάζει όλα. Γιατί στο στρατό τα λάθη δε συγχωρούνται, οι αδυναμίες δεν είναι αποδεκτές, οι ευαισθησίες δεν υπολογίζονται και οι φόβοι δεν μετράνε. Στη μέση στρατιωτική σχολή Λεόνσιο Πράδο οι μαθητές γίνονται άντρες με τον πιο βάναυσο, τον πιο σκληρό τρόπο. Και όπως γίνεται συνήθως σε αυτές τις περιπτώσεις, οι πιο σκληροί και βάναυσοι παράγοντες αυτής της διαδικασίας είναι τα ίδια τα παιδιά.

Το "η πόλη και τα σκυλιά" μας συστήνει όλους τους τυπικούς ήρωες που θα περιμέναμε να δούμε σε ένα τέτοιο μυθιστόρημα: τον φοβισμένο νταή που προσπαθεί να επιβιώσει με κάθε τρόπο, τον περήφανο πολεμιστή που γίνεται αρχηγός λόγω του θάρρους του, τον έξυπνο μαθητή που μαθαίνει πώς πρέπει να φέρεται για να δείχνει ότι είναι προσαρμοσμένος και να μην τον "φάνε", τον μιγάδα που δέχεται όλα τα ρατσιστικά στερεοτυπικά σχόλια και πειράγματα των συμμαθητών του και φυσικά τον ευαίσθητο μαθητή που δεν καταφέρνει να αφομοιώσει τον τρόπο ζωής του στρατού και υφίσταται κάθε καψονι και κάθε απάνθρωπη συμπεριφορά απλά και μόνο γιατί είναι διαφορετικός.

Όλα αυτά θα λέγαμε ότι είναι κάπως αναμενόμενα. Όμως, ο υπέροχος τροπος που τα συνδέει ο Γιόσα, με τη συνεχή μετάβαση από την πραγματικότητα στο παραλήρημα και τούμπαλιν, τον ωμό ρεαλισμό κατά την περιγραφή των πιο σκληρών σκηνών (με φριχτά καψόνια, ομαδικούς βιασμούς, αιματηρούς καβγάδες, πάντα μεταξύ παιδιών), δεν αφήνουν τον αναγνώστη να σκεφτεί ούτε για μια στιγμή ότι δεν διαβάζει κάτι ενδιαφέρον, κάτι καινούριο, κάτι απαίσιο και ταυτόχρονα σαγηνευτικό. Μια μικρογραφία της κοινωνίας, όπως είναι το (κάθε) σχολείο, παρουσιάζεται μέσα από έναν παραμορφωτικό φακό που μεγεθύνει κάθε πράξη και γεγονός γιατί πολύ απλά δεν πρόκειται για ένα απλό σχολείο. Είναι μια στρατιωτική σχολή ανηλίκων, στην ουσία είναι ένα αναμορφωτήριο, είναι ο στρατός. You're in the army now και όλα τα σχετικά.

Ό,τι συμβαίνει στη Λεόνσιο Πράδο μένει στη Λεόνσιο Πράδο. Οι ευέλπιδες θα ολοκληρώσουν τις σπουδές τους και θα φύγουν, ξεχνώντας σιγά-σιγά τι συνέβη εκεί, αφήνοντας πίσω τους την κτηνωδία στην οποία συμμετείχαν, άλλοτε ως θύτες και άλλοτε ως θύματα, θα αποβάλουν τα αντανακλαστικά της αγέλης που τόσο απαραίτητα στάθηκαν για την επιβίωσή τους όσο ήταν εσώκλειστοι στη σχολή. Κάποιοι θα γίνουν μέλη της κοινωνίας, θα ενταχθούν, θα προσαρμοστούν, θα επουλώσουν τις πληγές που τους άνοιξαν τρία χρόνια απάνθρωπης μεταχείρισης από ανωτέρους αξιωματικούς και συμμαθητές. Και κάποιοι ίσως όχι.

Εξαιρετικό βιβλίο, διαβάστε το οπωσδήποτε, να είστε όμως έτοιμοι για τη γροθιά και το έντονο σφίξιμο στο στομάχι. You've been warned.
Profile Image for Cosimo.
408 reviews
September 19, 2015
Passaggio per gradi

Non sempre un romanzo che parla di un inferno terreno si limita a descriverne la forma apparente. In qualche caso, ne racconta su un altro piano la duplicità e il contenuto recondito e vi insedia persino la storia di un amore condiviso, in attesa di un possibile ribaltamento. Nel romanzo d'esordio dello scrittore di Arequipa, conosciamo una donna amata da tre giovani uomini, cadetti del medesimo collegio militare: e sono drammi. In questo romanzo autobiografico, l'adolescenza attraversa un territorio oscuro e conflittuale da un'innocenza, vissuta come ambigua alterità e debolezza, ad una maturità fatta di indipendenza, trasgressione e libertà: laddove questo rituale di trasformazione e passaggio compiuto dal Giaguaro, il Boa e il Poeta presenta i caratteri di violenza, sopraffazione, virilità, vessazioni e cameratismo tipiche delle istituzioni normative. Sempre in bilico tra lealtà e tradimento, gli allievi del Leoncio Prado di Lima sono dominati, in reazione alla disciplina, dalla pulsione sessuale e dal sadismo di una gerarchia crudele e insensata e finiscono per distruggersi l'un l'altro con modalità impersonali e spietate, in una polifonia di voci che rivela l'impronta di modelli disumani, innaturali e fittizi provenienti dall'universo adulto. Qui si mostra il volto del potere e dell'autorità che sconfigge e manipola il corpo dei soggetti vivi e responsabili, che non si piegano a logiche di morte. L'autore con stile dialogico mette in luce le trame oscure dietro ai rapporti di forza tra padroni e schiavi, potenti e fragili, adattati e irrisolti (non a caso il soprannome della vittima è Lo Schiavo e il vero antieroe è un solitario), dominati da un codice di comportamento morale che ha fondamenta dispotiche, irrazionali e inique. Realismo e poeticità si uniscono in una prosa mimetica e aggressiva, così sapientemente articolata da sfociare in numerose e polivalenti superfici narrative. Qui Vargas Llosa, giocando con i punti di vista e le linee temporali, intrattiene un discorso interno sulla relazione tra scrittura e creazione, incastonato in una dimensione di memoria e flusso di coscienza, dove l'immaginazione è il bene più prezioso. La creazione letteraria è qualcosa che coinvolge il lettore ed essendo il lettore un essere plurale e mai definitivo, la natura del significato di ciò che viene raccontato è soggetta a un'interpretazione aperta e molteplice, che nasconde sorprese e rivelazioni a volte sconosciute e inedite persino per l'autore stesso. E' questo il senso disperato di quanto scritto da Vargas Llosa in un articolo apparso recentemente quando dichiara di avere scoperto una nuova verità sul proprio romanzo in seguito ad una lettura illuminante del critico Roger Caillois: un dato romanzesco che pertiene niente meno che l'identità e il riscatto dell'ipotetico assassino.
Profile Image for Sana.
100 reviews55 followers
September 23, 2021
بسیار سخت خوان و پیچیده ولی ارزشش خوندن ووقت گذاشتن داشت🙃
Profile Image for fคrຊคຖ.tຖ.
251 reviews62 followers
August 21, 2021
شخصیت‌های این داستان نوجوانانی هستند که در دبیرستانِ نظام، تحصیل و زندگی می‌کنند و داستان از جایی هیجان‌انگیز می‌شود که یکی از دانش‌آموزان در یک عملیات تمرینی کشته می‌شود و تمام روابط بین دانش‌آموزان و افسران مدرسه دستخوش تغییر می‌شود...

در این رمانِ یوسا هم راویان مختلفی وجود دارند که خود را در مکان‌ها و زمان‌های متفاوتی از زندگی‌شان توصیف می‌کنند. با چهار روایت ذهنی‌ روبه‌رو هستیم: جاگوار، آلبرتو، برده و بوا . این روایت‌ها که به صورت اول شخص هستند با استفاده از فونت متفاوت از روایت‌هایی که به شکل دانای کل هستند جدا شده‌اند اما همچنان تشخیص اینکه چه کسی در حال روایت داستان در حالت اول شخص است کار ساده‌ای نیست و به دقت نیاز دارد.

جاگوار، شخصیت قدرتمند داستان؛ کسی‌ است که زندگی‌ فقیرانه‌ای داشته و در کودکی عاشق دختر همسایه‌اش می‌شود. این دختر "تره‌سا" نقطه مشترک بین شخصیت‌های مختلف کتاب است که توصیه می‌کنم برای درک بهتر داستان توجه خاصی به او داشته باشید.

ریکاردو آرانا با لقب "برده" کسی است که در کودکی با مادر و خاله‌اش بزرگ شده و شخصیتی آرام دارد. سرنوشت او بسیار تراژیک است.

آلبرتو" با لقب "شاعر" که برخلاف جاگوار خانواده‌ای ثروتمند دارد. روابط آلبرتو با «تره‌سا» و همچنین دوستی‌اش با "برده" یا همان آرانا از جمله مهم‌ترین اتفاقات داستان است.

Profile Image for Parastoo Ashtian.
108 reviews98 followers
February 4, 2016
می توانست تنهایی و تحقیری را که از کودکی با آن اخت شده بود و تنها روحش را زخمی کرده بود تحمل کند. اما آنچه برایش تحمل ناپذیر بود این بازداشت، این زندانی شدن، این تنهایی بی مرزی بود که انتخاب نکرده بود و همچون ژاکتی تنگ بر او تحمیل شده بود. پشت در اتاق ستوان ایستاده بود و هنوز دستش را بلند نکرده بود در بزند. اما می دانست که باید در بزند؛ سه هفته در انجام تصمیمی که با خود گرفته بود تأخیر کرده بود اما حالا نه عذاب می کشید و نه می ترسید.

از متن کتاب
Profile Image for George Georgiadis.
45 reviews58 followers
June 3, 2017
Τρομερό βιβλίο, ένα εκπληκτικό δείγμα σκληρού ρεαλισμού. Ο Λιόσα καταφέρνει να αποτυπώσει εξαιρετικά την ιδιοσυγκρασία και την ευμετάβλητη ψυχική κατάσταση των κατά βάση νεαρών πρωταγωνιστών, καθώς επίσης αναδεικνύει τις κοινωνικές συνθήκες της εποχής (βρισκόμαστε στο Περού κάπου στα μέσα του 20ού αιώνα). Οι εναλλαγές στην αφήγηση, από πρωτοπρόσωπη σε τριτοπρόσωπη και με πολλαπλούς αφηγητές σε διαφορετικές χρονικές περιόδους, προσθέτουν με τη σειρά τους στην αξία του βιβλίου.
Profile Image for Ali.
Author 15 books619 followers
February 20, 2016
When ever I come to names such as “Llosa”, “Borges”, “Cortazar”, “Fuentes”... I wish I knew Spanish language, as I’m sure works by these authors would have a different aroma and melody in their own tongues. Llosa is, for me, one of the greatest story tellers, whose works give me deliciousness in Persian as well, (if it’s translated by Abdollah Kowsari, for example). Mario Vargas Llosa uses a highly sophisticated techniques with a very delicate language in multiple viewpoint, as if I’m listening to “Sare”, my childhood story tellers whom supposed to drown me in sleep, but was keeping me awake instead. Llosa takes you to a place, and while you get used to the situation, become a bit relax, he leaves you for another situation, another character in another place, force you to follow him as a sleepwalker, burning of curiosity, apprehension and restlessness, while he continue to make new situations with new chracters out of nothing, absolutely relax with a smile on his lips. He doesn’t explain the characters, but procreates them and leave them on your lap, and disappears…

بسیاری از آثار ماریو بارگاس یوسا به فارسی برگردانده شده. آنها که من دیده ام؛ "زندگی واقعی آلخاندرو مایتا" / حسن مرتضوی (ترجمه ی بدی نیست)، "سال های سگی" / احمد گلشیری (ترجمه ی خوبی ست)، "عصر قهرمان" / هوشنگ اسدی (ترجمه ی خوبی ست)، "مردی که حرف می زند" / قاسم صنعوی، "موج آفرینی"/ مهدی غبرائی (ترجمه ی روانی ست)، "جنگ آخر زمان"/ عبدالله کوثری(ترجمه بسیار خوبی ست)، "گفتگو در کاتدرال"/ عبدالله کوثری (ترجمه ی شاهکاری ست) و... برخی از این آثار را ابتدا به فارسی خوانده ام، و دیگر آثار را برا�� بازخوانی به ترجمه ی آنها به فارسی رجوع کرده ام. تجربه نشان داده که حال و هوای ترجمه ی فارسی، بهررو با ترجمه به زبان های انگلیسی، فرانسه و دانمارکی متفاوت است. در خواندن آثار بارگاس یوسا، بورخس، سروانتس، فوئنتس، کورتازار... حسرت ندانستن زبان اسپانیولی در من بیدار می شود چرا که به خوبی حس می کنم این آثار به زبان اصلی موسیقی متفاوتی دارند. با این وجود، روایت های ماریو بارگاس یوسا بهر زبانی لذت بخش است. روایت های یوسا بوی "قصه گویی" می دهد. او عادت دارد از جایی به جای دیگر برود و همین که به صحنه ای عادت می کنی، یوسا به محل و شخصیتی دیگر می گریزد، در صندلی هنوز جا نیفتاده ای که تو را از جا بلند می کند و به صحنه ی دیگر می کشاند، روی صندلی سرد تازه ای بنشینی تا ادامه ی روایت یوسا دوباره گرمت کند. یوسا قصه گویی ست حرفه ای که گاه از هیچ، همه چیز می سازد. با یوسا بسیار جاهای ندیده را دیده ام؛ برزیل را، پرو را و... بسیار جاها که دیده ام؛ وین، رم، آمستردام را را به گونه ای دیگر تماشا کرده ام... در کوچه ها و خیابان ها و رستوران ها و قهوه خانه های بسیاری نشسته ام، گاه آنقدر نزدیک و آشنا که انگاری در همان خانه ای که یوسا وصف کرده. روایت یوسا زنده می شود و در جان می نشیند. وقتی رمانی از یوسا را شروع می کنی باید وقایع و شخصیت ها را در اولین صفحه ها به خاطر بسپاری و از نام و مشخصات هیچ کدامشان نگذری. شخصیت ها و موقعیت ها در همان فصل اول و دوم مثل رگباری فرو می ریزند، و در فصول بعدی آنها را عین پازلی کنار هم می نشاند و تابلوی بی نظیرش را می سازد. زبان شخصیت ها از یکی به دیگری، همراه با روحیه و کار و بار و زندگی شان، ت��ییر می کند. یوسا دستت را می گیرد و تو را با خود وارد قصه می کند، همین که درگیر فضا و آدم ها شدی، غیبش می زند، تنهایت می گذارد تا انتهای روایت همپای شخصیت ها به سفر ادامه دهی. از یک موقعیت به دیگری، به دفتری، رستورانی، خانه ای و بستری، با آدم هایی که در نهایت خشم و خشونت، به کودکانی معصوم می مانند. گاه نشسته ام و مدت ها به عکس یوسا نگاه کرده ام؛ این معصومیت لبخند یوساست که همه ی قصه هایش را پر کرده؟
226 reviews110 followers
December 28, 2020
مدتها بود کتابی به این خوبی نخونده بودم. واقعا چسبید⁦❤️⁩
Profile Image for Solistas.
147 reviews97 followers
April 17, 2015
Πολύ σκληρό κείμενο απο έναν συγγραφέα που αντιπαθώ τρελά σαν ανθρωπο αλλα διαβάζω μανιωδώς. Δεν ξέρω πως γίνεται να γράψεις την Πόλη κ τα Σκυλιά στην πρώτη σου μυθιστορηματική απόπειρα κ να καταφέρεις να δέσεις κόμπο το στομάχι όλων των ανυποψίαστων αναγνωστών
Profile Image for Ubik 2.0.
902 reviews213 followers
May 17, 2021
Nascita di un Poeta da Nobel

A soli 26 anni, traendo spunto dall’esperienza personale vissuta un decennio prima presso il Collegio Militare “Leoncio Prado”, Mario Vargas Llosa esordisce con questo romanzo particolarmente ambizioso che già ne dimostra il talento e il coraggio nello sperimentare audaci forme narrative inserite in un contesto di impegno civile, etico e sociale; l’opera, per l’epoca (1963), risultò talmente dissacrante e provocatoria nei confronti dell’autorità militare da essere addirittura boicottata e bruciata in piazza.

Il virtuosismo stilistico del romanzo consiste essenzialmente in una prosa che, senza soluzione di continuità, trascende l’unità di luogo e di tempo e che soprattutto muta spesso il soggetto narrante senza che il lettore ne abbia immediata percezione se non reinquadrando l’azione nei riferimenti all’ambiente circostante.

Lungi dall’essere un mero espediente o uno sfoggio espressivo fine a sé stesso, questa tecnica che può generare inizialmente sconcerto e caos, finisce per rivelarsi pefettamente funzionale al racconto, in primo luogo accentuandone la straordinaria coralità e poi, in maniera più sottile, determinando una sorta di slittamento dei caratteri che col progredire della narrazione mette in evidenza tanto le debolezze dei personaggi più prepotenti quanto il coraggio dei più deboli, le intime incertezze dei più spavaldi così come la coerenza dell’ufficiale che eravamo portati a giudicare il più carogna.

Al netto di tutto questo La città e cani rappresenta una potente denuncia contro l’istituzione (militare ma non solo) come scuola di sopraffazione, razzismo, autoritarismo insensato, opportunismo delle gerarchie che ostentano arroganza verso i “sottoposti” tanto quanto servilismo con i “superiori”.

E quando la scena si allarga dal Collegio Militare per estendersi alla città, alle famiglie, alla società peruviana e alla sua componente femminile (madri lamentose, fidanzate indecise, caricature in raccontini erotici artigianali), sbiadita e decisamente minoritaria in un romanzo molto “testosteronico”, è allora che emerge ancora più evidente l’intima contraddizione fra l’addestramento praticato nel Collegio Militare, nella cui efficacia a dire il vero solo pochi ufficiali ripongono fiducia, e la fragilità degli adolescenti che …si trovavano nell’Esercito di passaggio; certi erano stati strappati di forza dai loro villaggi ed erano stati inquadrati; altri erano stati mandati in collegio dai genitori che volevano liberarsene .

Sono giovani che nella loro sfrontata spavalderia e nella grezza carnalità, nella violenza trattenuta e nella fugace imprevedibile propensione a qualche forma istintiva di fantasia e poesia, possono talora far affiorare alla memoria i ragazzi di vita di Pasolini.
Profile Image for Ana.
805 reviews588 followers
July 31, 2016
Llosa's ability to build a world brick by brick is legendary, more so because every brick is dripping in character. He can describe a feeling or a look or a way of talking like no other. His characters are wonderfully complex creations that populate a world so flawed, you are amazed it's still standing. It took a little time to read through this work, because in typical South-American fashion, his literature is complicated to digest. I only recommend it to readers with patience, and who like detailed descriptions of emotion, or are otherwise inclined to like literature in its most technical form. Those readers would be rewarded with a very good story and a geniuns ending!
Profile Image for Έλσα.
472 reviews91 followers
August 27, 2017
Καταπληκτικος συγγραφεας κ δεξιοτεχνης της λογοτεχνιας! Εντυπωσιαστηκα απο τις συνεχεις εναλλαγες της αφηγησης. Πρωτοπροσωπη και τριτοπροσωπη αφηγηση χωρις να σε κουραζει. Μου αρεσε επισης που ολοι οι ηρωες ειχαν "πρωταγωνιστικο" ρολο καθε φορα που εμφανιζονταν. Παρουσιαζονταν στο βιβλιο επιβλητικα και ως εντονοι χαρακτηρες κ οχι βουβα προσωπα.
Profile Image for Esteban Forero.
51 reviews7 followers
November 22, 2022
Al leer “La ciudad y los perros”, aguanté un aguacero permanente de incertidumbres enraizadas en la naturaleza humana. Su lectura no me dejó otra opción más que recibir con mi alma las pepas de granizo que inclementes encharcaban mi corazón. Allí me encontré con el frío de la indiferencia que azota la vida de los protagonistas, la ternura inocente de los animales sacrificados por el instinto más bestial de la hombría puesta a prueba por militares en una adolescencia convulsiva de mediados de siglo pasado, choqué con el descaro nauseabundo de las instituciones que deberían cuidar a sus generaciones más vulnerables pero que, por el contrario, las machaca a fuerza de estulticia, burocracia e hipocresía. Pero también corrí con la suerte de hallar la esperanza de la amistad posible, del amor inexistente que clama por ser inventado, de la disciplina honesta que imprime algo de honor a los valientes que defienden sus principios: unos quijotes echados a perder en el miserable anonimato cotidiano.

Vargas Llosa teje una trama sencilla, anclada simplemente en la vida diaria de una Lima (y por extensión histórica, de una Latinoamérica) hundida en la niebla, el humo y la indiferencia de las urbes armadas por mor del progreso supuesto en el concreto y el petróleo. Su estructura es magistral, tiene la forma que pincha el nervio dormido de lo humano y despierta al lector a una empatía urgente por necesaria. “La ciudad y los perros” es una de esas novelas que convierten una verdad evidente en una certeza fulminante de la moralina que disimula la indiferencia; su lenguaje está desprovisto de retóricas melosas, pero toca con tal intensidad que recuerda el verso de Paul Eluard: “lo más profundo es la piel”. “La ciudad y los perros” no precisa hermenéuticas subterráneas; basta con leer y mirar a la calle.
Profile Image for Joaquin Garza.
519 reviews626 followers
May 9, 2017
No soy precisamente de los que leen literatura latinoamericana por placer. ¿Por qué? Porque lo asocio con tarea. Con algo que obligaban a leer a uno cuando no necesariamente tenía las tablas para hacerlo y disfrutarlo bien. Para cuando estuve en capacidad de hacerlo, me llevé muchísimos tesoros a mis favoritos (con la mención del glorioso ‘Jardín de los Senderos que se bifurcan’). Pero el daño ya estaba hecho: difícilmente me acerco a una obra de esta bonita región en la que nos ha tocado nacer.

Dentro de todo esto, sí me había llamado la atención desde siempre leer La Ciudad de los Perros. Esas novelas escolares y/o que retratan la violencia física y psicológica de la adolescencia siempre me han fascinado. Me la imaginaba como una especie de ‘La Sociedad de los Poetas Muertos’ que en vez de tener poesía de Tennyson iba a tener valses criollos (‘No te asombres si te digo lo que fuiste: una ingrata con mi pobre corazón, etc. etc.’). Y el resultado es interesante, aunque no necesariamente lo que había imaginado.

Lo que hay que remarcar, por supuesto, es que desde joven Vargas Llosa tenía una habilidad de narración y de experimentación bárbara. Como si desde este debut uno pudiera decir hace tantos años: ‘Éste se va a ganar el Nobel algún día’. Me pareció sorprendente que desde esa edad utilizara en tan buena sintonía las diferentes voces y técnicas narrativas para configurar una historia que casi llega a ser vibrante. Si bien el trasfondo tal vez fue revolucionario en su época, hoy no se siente tanto así. (en las escuelas militarizadas hay bullying -- y en otras noticias el agua moja), pero sí retrata de forma convincente los avatares de crecer en ese ambiente altamente restrictivo. Yo le hubiera puesto sólo un poco más de melodrama.

Le quité una estrella. ¿Cómo es posible que le quitemos una estrella a un Premio Nobel? Después de mucho pensarlo creo que se la quité porque de un Premio Nobel de Literatura se esperaría que aun con este nivel de maestría mostrara errores de primerizo (comparados con el resto de sus obras, por supuesto). Uno de los que interpreté como errores fue que todo ese despliegue de galanura literaria nos lleva a una conclusión donde hay historias que no se cierran (como qué pasó con la pobre Malpapeada y el Boa) o un personaje cortado a la mitad del libro cuyo pasado no se termina de desarrollar. Pero es peccata minuta, creo yo. El final que parece algo desentonante no es más que una conclusión que remarca que los dramas adolescentes no son más que una guerrita sin sentido (incluso si esta guerrita llega a sus últimas consecuencias) y que el militarismo latinoamericano ha sido siempre ridículo. Los conflictos internos retratados frente a los conflictos globales parecen la Copa América comparada con la Eurocopa (¡Ay!).
Profile Image for Sahar Khoshghadam.
68 reviews24 followers
September 9, 2016
اگه آدم منصفی باشی جز پنج تا ستاره امتیاز دیگه ای نمیتونی به این کت��ب بدی. سالهای سگی سخت شروع میشه درهم و پیچیده جوری که بعضی جاها سررشته ی ماجرا و شخصیتها از دستت در میره ولی از نیمه ی کتاب به بعد کم کم گره ها باز میشه و حتی از نحوه ی جمله بندی میتونی حدس بزنی نویسنده داره در مورد کدوم شخصیت صحبت میکنه، یه داستان که پایان بندی ای معمولی ولی بی رحمانه داره،چیزی شبیه واقعیتِ زندگی.ضعیف ها با هر طینت و باطنی حذف میشن و افراد قوی تر با هر خوی و طینتی به راهشون ادامه میدن.
Profile Image for Vastaa gorgij.
98 reviews153 followers
March 29, 2021

وقتی دشمن اسلحه‌شو زمین می‌ذاره و تسلیم می‌شه، سرباز مسئولیت شناس به طرفش شلیک نمی‌کنه، نه فقط به دلایل اخلاقی، بلکه به دلایل نظامی، بخاطر صرفه‌جویی!
حتی در جنگ نباید مرگ و میر‌ های بیهوده در میون باشه...
یک مدرسه نظامی! یک مدرسه نظامی که قراره نماد نظم و انضباط باشه. یک مدرسه نمونه که تمام مردم لیما و حتی پرو، شاگردانش رو مایه افتخار کشور می‌دونن و بهشون غبطه می‌خورن.
اما کسی از لایه‌های زیرین این مدرسه، از بی‌قانونی‌هاش و اتفاقاتی که درِش رخ می‌ده خبر نداره!
داستان چهار راوی داره، که هرکدوم به نحوی کمک ‌می‌کنن پازل داستان درست بشه، اما قصه قهرمانی نداره! هرکس به طریقی قهرمان هست و نیست، مجموعه‌ای خاکستری از کاراکتر‌ها، که همزمان هم دوستشون داری و هم نداری!
قلم یوسا توی این کتاب هنوز پخته نیست، اما درخشانه. این کتاب شهرت عجیبی برای یوسا به ارمغان میاره و از کتابهای مهم ادبیات امریکای لاتین به حساب میاد که خوندنش کِیف خاص خودش رو داره.
یوسا در کنار مارکز و فوئنتس، از تاثیرگذار‌ترین نویسنده‌های امریکای لاتینه که برخلاف اونها، رئال می‌نویسه و کتابهاش تم تاریخی و سیاسی دارن. یوسا صرفا داستان نمی‌نویسه و موضوع کتابهاش رو اتفاقی انتخاب نمی‌کنه!
کتابهای یوسا فریاد اعتراضشن، کتابهای یوسا دغدغه‌های روز مردم پرو/ امریکای لاتین هستند که خواندنی شدن. یوسا صدای مردمشه، دلیل شهرتش هم دقیقا همینه...
یوسا نگاه نقادانه به ادبیات داره و این رو میشه از مقالات متعددش فهمید. برای شناختن خط فکری یوسا، بد نیست کتاب #چرا_ادبیات رو بخونید که معرفیش در همین صفحه نوشته شده.
انتخاب موضوعات و سبک نویسندگی متفاوت باعث شده کتابهای یوسا برای شروع کتابخوانی مناسب نباشن. اما اگر به موضوعات تاریخی/ سیاسی علاقه دارید. داستانهای پیچیده و با چند راوی رو می‌پسندید و دلتون می‌خواد نویسنده بارها به چالش بکشونتتون، حتما از یوسا بخونید.
اولین کتاب چی بخونید؟ به نظرم سور بز، تا یوسا مسخ‌تون کنه و به معجزه قلمش ایمان بیارید. راستی معرفی #سور_بز هم در این صفحه هست.
ترجمه رو خیلی دوست نداشتم چون به نظرم یوسا با قلم کوثری خواندنی تره، کاش استاد کوثری این کتاب رو ترجمه کنن. صحافی کتاب هم بد بود.
کتابهای یوسا نیاز به مدارا داره، ابتدای همه کتابهاش کمی سخت پیش میره اما بهش زمان بدید تا بهتون ثابت کنه شاهکاره.
نظر من؟ بخونیدش. یوسا شاهکاره!
افتخار داشتم این کتاب رو با باشگاه جین استین بخونم.
۵/۵
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,125 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.