Start by marking “From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God” as Want to Read:
From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God

From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  406 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
A masterpiece in narrative theology and missional church. Presents three remarkable stories spanning Genesis to Revelation, this saga reveals nothing less than the meaning of God's eternal purpose and highest passion. Endorsements by missional leaders at http://www.FromEternitytoHere.org as well as discussion guide.
Published March 1st 2009 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about From Eternity to Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Eternity to Here

Jud
Jul 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Frank Viola’s latest book, From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God is not an easy one for me to shove into a loved-it or hated-it slot on the shelf of books I’ve read. I was outraged, inspired, impassioned, incredulous, and challenged by this book.

From Eternity to Here tells of “the ageless purpose of God” in three parts, weaving what the author hopes is a compelling story that – as the subtitle suggests – dates from before time began.

I found two problems early on – one d
Bart Breen
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Viola's Heart added to his Head

Up front, I expected I would enjoy and appreciate this book even before I opened it. I have read most of Viola's works and I've come to appreciate his very strong cerebral and disciplined approach to ecclesiology (the study of the Church).

I was very pleasantly surprised however in this book that there was something more; Viola's heart. Where Viola in his earlier books has worked to both deconstruct and reconstruct how "church" is viewed, practiced and experienced i
Jeff
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This may very well be the most revolutionary book I've read outside of The Bible, itself. Frank Viola has presented some radical truth in his newest book. He already had me reeling from his historical treatment of what's wrong with today's "church" in Pagan Christianity, and then gave us a great description of what "church" should look like in Reimagining Church. This book, while not quite about the same topic, takes the purpose of the Church even further.

Presented in three sections, From Etern
Brian Stevenson
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
To discover God's original intent for humanity, Frank Viola explores the imagery found in the only four chapters of the Bible which have not been tainted by The Fall: Genesis 1 & 2 (pre-fall) and Revelation 21 & 22 (after the effects of the fall have been erased). God's ageless purpose has always been to acquire a Bride, a House, a Family, and a Body that is by him, to him, and through him.
Renee
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a modern day masterpiece. The writing style is powerful and the message is one that we rarely hear today. I've been studying the Bible for many years and almost every page was an "aha" moment where I discovered a new insight. The book connects the dots of Scripture into a beautiful sweeping narrative. I bought the book because of the endorsements from the top missional leaders today http://www.FromEternitytoHere.org

"From Eternity to Here" is a modern day classic.
Tim Ogle
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Viola always rattles me with a solid foundation and well built explanation.

His writings have filled in the dots for many answers I have sought for in Scripture.

Thank you Mr. Viola for pointing to Jesus, instead of a system of beliefs.
Carol
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this book eye opening in the way he expresses us in Christ, a concept I have always believed, but never saw such depth in. Each thought took a familiar concept, the bride, the house, the family, and made it into a flowing life in Christ.
Daniel
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This for me had a deep affect on my life, I cannot but highly recommend this book to everyone whether you're Christian or not. It will challenge some people, but it really is scriptural. And, it's well written.
Travis
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, this is one of those books that may actually be life-changing.
Jferrich Oba
This book is a must read for any true believer the God of bible.I could not put it down , it lines up with scripture.
Fredrick
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am amazed at the depth of wisdom displayed in this book.Frank Viola writes like he plays with words and above portrays Jesus Christ in a manner that a baby would fall in love with.
Glenn Steers
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The "big picture" on God's purpose (as if He needed one!) Excellent summation of the Bible and all its themes. Viola's Magnum Opus!
John Rock
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I appreciated the way that Viola wrote the same story three ways. I thought it improved the understanding to have it presented for different perspectives.
Amanda Kuykendall
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you want to grow as a Christian, this book is a must read!! Wow!!
Tim Heywood
May 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
already read this once last year sometime, excellent handling of what the church could really be like, given a fresh approach to how God sees His church.
Jim Howe
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
His approach to biblical theology though innovative despite his attempts leads to antinomianism. Parts were helpful but his work on the church is experimental and lacking the theological catholicity needed.
Danielle
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I received this book from one of the DTS speakers in YWAM. His topic was on the true church, the ekklesia, and this book was obviously a source for his teaching.

In his book, Viola takes a look at what the Bible has to say about God's plan in reaching out to mankind, both in creation and in sending Jesus. He clearly outlines three functions of the followers of Christ and takes time to expound on each idea.

My main struggle with this book was a sense that I had heard it all before. I often had to
Bigpicture
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-life
Every now and again a book comes along that captures the essence of Christianity in a remarkable way. These are the writings that subsequent generations refer to as “classics”, and they are usually only recognized for their profundity and timelessness once the author is no longer around. There are many examples (although not too many!): Watchman Nee’s The Normal Christian Life, Andrew Murray’s Abide in Christ, Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s The Cost of Discipleship, C.S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity, Chester ...more
Katherine Graham
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I do not usually read non-fiction of any sort, especially religious non-fiction, because it is difficult to be absorbed into what I am reading. This book, on the other hand, was a true gem.

1.) Writing Style: This book read both as a sci-fi/fantasy/romance that made it easy to visualize the comparisons from scriptures many Christians may have grown up hearing so often that they often feel mechanical. You can see the examples when reading instead of being simply taught another way to interpret th
Mark Franklin
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, and for the most part I did. However, the 2 star rating is due to some dubious extrapolations from scripture used to support Viola's chosen metaphors to express God's purpose. For example, it is totally valid to talk about the Church as a girl Christ pursues, and about God's purpose to make His bride beautiful, but it is maybe not so much to say that scripture says 90 year old Sarah was physically transformed into a young hot babe after God's promise to give he ...more
Kristen
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-recommend-it
It is rare that I read a book I feel privileged to partake in. I have a few of my top most-recommended books that would fall into this category. I am pleased to say Frank Viola’s From Eternity to Here is now one of those books for me.

This book reads much more like the story it is meant to be. It tells us of a God who loves us more than we could ever comprehend. A God whose mission and purposed passion shines with such glory, our natural response cannot help but be faithful praise.

Frank Viola sha
Beth Andre
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those, eye-opening, mind-blowing, new-perspective kind of books, dealing with all the information about God and the church that (let's face it) has become a bit stale and stodgy and completely reframing it, making it fresh and new and alive. My perspective on what a relationship with God means to both myself as an individual and as a member of the church, Christ's body, has been renewed. I found this hard to put down!
Jason Joyner
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book that delves into some of the ways God reveals His ultimate purpose through the Bible. Frank Viola is a deep author who writes with a passion and purpose for the Bible and Jesus. It shines through in this book.
Rick
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been updated under the new title "From Eternity to Here."
Richard Wright
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Frank likes this book more than his readers. I became tired of it. But love Frank Viola and what he stands for.
Lana Superchi
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book speaks volumes about the church today. Viola provides a simple answer to the problem that shouldn't be difficult to implement yet seems to be in our busy lives.
Steve Bedford
May 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-challenge
The message was good, but the delivery seemed rather tedious. It is hard not to fall into the "I've head this before, give me something new" trap.
Mike
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wonderful insight into God's divine purpose for his church.
Lauren
Mar 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lauren by: Bill Spears
Frank has some really brilliant insights into the Bible, and how we have distorted Christianity into something more than what it's meant to be, simply--Jesus.
James B
May 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Yeah, a good read. Reminded/learned some things I needed to. Like a good medicine- accurately prescribed.
It's the basis for his other books- of which I have an ongoing prescription.
  • Jesus Manifesto
  • Charis: God's Scandalous Grace for Us
  • Battle Ready: Prepare to Be Used by God (Bold Man Of God, #1)
  • Be Comforted (Isaiah)
  • Flesh: Bringing the Incarnation Down to Earth
  • The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church
  • Do You See What I See?: Exploring the Christmas of Every Day
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • The Twenty-Piece Shuffle: Why the Poor and Rich Need Each Other
  • Replant: How a Dying Church Can Grow Again
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • Thrashing About with God: Finding Faith on the Other Side of Everything
  • Living a Prayerful Life
  • Losers Like Us: Redefining Discipleship after Epic Failure
  • Picture Perfect: When Life Doesn't Line Up
  • When God Breaks Your Heart: Choosing Hope in the Midst of Faith-Shattering Circumstances
  • Mirror Ball: Living Boldly and Shining Brightly for the Glory of God

Hi Friends. I write books that seek to make the Bible come alive and throw fresh light on old or neglected subjects.

Here are my published books:

THE DAY I MET JESUS
REIMAGINING CHURCH
PAGAN CHRISTIANITY
FINDING ORGANIC CHURCH
THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE NT CHURCH

You can learn more about these books a
More about Frank Viola...

“Consider this thought: Adam’s entire existence was based upon what he ate. His diet determined his destiny. It also determined the entire course of human history.” 0 likes