Start by marking “The Midnight Dancers (A Fairy Tale Retold #4)” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Dancers (A Fairy Tale Retold #4)

The Midnight Dancers

(A Fairy Tale Retold #4)

Why live in the light, when the night seems so irresistible?

Rachel Durham, 18, is tired of her father and stepmothers staid morality and pristine prosperity. The summer of her senior year, shes more than ready for a walk on the wild side, and the door opens - literally - when she and her eleven sisters and stepsisters discover a secret passageway out of their historic home
Published October 13th 2008 by Chesterton Press

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Dancers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midnight Dancers

Start your review of The Midnight Dancers (A Fairy Tale Retold #4)
Regina Doman
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wrote
Full disclosure: I wrote this book, and in some ways I like it the most of all of them. It's probably the most ambitious in terms of theme and philosophy: very different from my "Snow White and Rose Red" trilogy, but I hope folks like it!
Shantelle
I really enjoyed this, the fourth installment to the A FAIRY TALE RETOLD series! It was interesting and thoughtful; a poignant look at father/daughter relationships, religion and rebellion. The romance, just budding at the end, was really sweet. All the sisters, fun. It had it's darker side, but nothing marginal. (Caution: there may have a been a minor swear or two). A good lesson, overall. I wish there would have been more on how a relationship with Jesus is what changes the heart and makes the ...more
Rebecca (whenallotherlightsgoout)
This review is not a spoiler, but rather a semi-embarressingly bad review from a younger version of myself. I have a personal policy not to rewrite reviews or changes ratings of books I have not read in a while, so I'm stuck with this until a reread.

(view spoiler)
emma grace
I LOVE every Regina Doman book I have read so far, and this was no exception! I would recommend that everyone read it. I think Paul is almost my favorite hero so far! ;)

Stephanie C
This one was interesting. I enjoyed it. I think Doman did a great job of portraying the "magic" of the island and the allure of being out at night under the dark sky, even in a modern setting. Everyone has felt that, right? But she also conveyed the need to be cautious in various situations that appear magical but are really covering up some dangerous stuff.

I was a bit taken aback (view spoiler)
Krysta
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Regina Doman has always made an effort to illustrate in the Fairy Tale Novels how the fantastic can reveal the true reality, and she has accomplished that admirably in the first three installments. The magical collides with the previously mundane, transforming our perception of our lives. The Midnight Dancers, however, almost makes the other novels seem clunky because it achieves a realism the others do not.

The plot of The Midnight Dancers proposes no convoluted mystery. Its hero, Paul, is a
Elaine
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everybody!
Splitting your life between night and light is a dangerous dance... (from The Midnight Dancers, back cover). A great addition to Regina Doman's Fairy Tale Novels! The Midnight Dancers held the same suspense, adventure, humor, and romance as the others. I loved how the story was based on The Twelve Dancing Princesses, but of course, in a modern day setting. When I finished Waking Rose, I was thrilled to learn that there would be another book.....and about Paul Fester no less! I knew it was going ...more
Claire Banschbach
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars

This book focuses on one of the Sacra Cor guys from Waking Rose. Here we have Paul, a med student on his way back home from a military tour where he served as a medic. He ends up saving an officers life and because of that gets introduced to the officers twelve daughters. I think you might know which fairy-tale this is. :) Rachel is the oldest daughter and chafes under her dads strict fundamentalist views. Her family is Protestant and Paul is a Catholic, so it was really interesting
Jill
Again, I thoroughly enjoy Regina Doman's work! It is intriguing to read a fairy tale retelling with a Catholic hero and non-Catholic heroine. I found her attitudes and presumptions toward him to be quite realistic (I am not Catholic, btw). Rachel is a very flawed, selfish, foolish heroine, but I found her far easier to relate to than most modern fantasy heroines.
Difficult to write in-depth about twelve sisters, yet I thought it was done as well as possible--certainly better than the original
Elaney

There's something about Regina Doman's books that always has me convinced I won't like them. Whenever I start one of them, I always have a problem with them until it reaches the climax. That's another thing, her books always have very clear climaxes. None of her books are anticlimactic. If you're sure you won't like this one when you start it, I highly recommend continuing. It gets so much better! Also, this one was not as religious as her other books, but at the same time, it was more
Alicia
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Engaging Catholic teen fiction (best for older teens). A military dad of 14 (from two blended families) is frustrated by his the disconnect between him and his twelve teen and pre-teen daughters. He's right to be concerned as they've been sneaking out of the house at night to party with their friends.

It's based on the Grimm Fairy Tale "The Twelve Dancing Princesses".

The story is fast-paced and exciting with some nice themes about the connection between goodness and beauty and the necessity for
Christine
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. There. Thats my review. If only all young adult authors would write such prose. If only other authors could read one of Domans novels and see that its possible to deal with current and relevant teen issues without being crass. Or rude. And even *gasp* manage to portray genuine truth and beauty without talking down to the reader, or sounding sickly sweet. This is a book any teen can read and relate to. Its a book that this Mom enjoyed. And why not? It stays true to the Grimm fairy ...more
Elaine
Jan 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
One of the worst books I've ever read! And a pity too, because I liked Paul Fester from the third one. :( Skip this one.
Nevada
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Apparently I didn't do enough research before choosing this book. I've been searching for retellings of the 12 Dancing Princesses fairytale and stumbled on this one in a listopia.

There's nothing really wrong with this book, it's just not for me and it's not what I was looking for. This is a fairytale retelling without magic and it has replaced fairytale wonder with heavyhanded religion. At another time I might find the struggle with duty and responsibility in a Christian setting to be
Jaylin
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabtastic book! Very well written! Regina personaly is one of may favorite authors, she just has a way of transporting the character and making it seem as though you are the characters in the book. This book is a take on the 12 dancing princesses, and is basically about 12 sisters who begin to rebel. This story has all the elements for a good book action, romance, and so much more I highly recomend it!
Becky Myhre
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
another great one in the series. great story and lots to think about. lots of good insight on what's going on in a rebellious teenage girls world (could relate a lot to how I felt as a young'in) and helps me be more empathetic and remember those feelings.
I wish I wish I read these as a teen.
the story about how men see women through a glass has so much truth to it. I'll be thinking about that for a while...
Darlene
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!! You can tell God assisted in telling this tale. It's perfect for teenagers. The advise and story both tell the story of right and wrong. As a 40 year old woman I learned some new helpful ways to look at men. Great spiritual advise given!
Srosch
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So sad with no fish and bear, but it was ok
Meg W
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kari Burke
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Midnight Dancers by Regina Doman is one of her series of fairy tales retold. This one is based on one of Grimms brothers lesser known tales entitled, The Twelve Dancing Princesses, which tells the story of 12 sisters who are enchanted into glamorously dancing each night away to their own detriment. Though the original story is somewhat more obscure than many of the famous brothers other fairy tales, it is one with which I was acquainted even before picking up Domans modernized version of the ...more
Therese May
This book has really been the hardest book by Regina Doman for me to read (because of the content). It really is a book that deals with deep, weighty issues. As such, it deals with it beautifully, but it still takes a while to let everything sink in.

To be honest, the first time I read this book I didn't really glean the message I was supposed to find. (Maybe because I was speed reading, trying to finish before midnight?)

This story is one about 12 girls who have lived all their lives being told
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I said in my review of Waking Rose how it was my favorite novel in the first three set (that sounds weird, but the first 3 books were always centered around the same characters), but this book is my favorite out of the whole series.

The Midnight Dancers has incredible torture scenes (What? I'm an author; I can be a little scary like that sometimes...and I read torture scenes in middle school and over the years I was accustomed to them), which made it my favorite.

I mean, it's so action-packed!
Tirzah Eleora
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, fairy-tale
Anna Rose
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rachel is sick of being perfect for her distant and strict father. Oldest of twelve girls and two boys in a blended family, she discovers her darker side when a secret passage is found in the girls' bedroom. Soon all of the sisters are sneaking outside at night to go swimming. When several neighborhood boys come along with boats and the teenagers sneak onto a nearby island, things become even more complicated and secretive. Paul (one of Rose's old college friends) is enlisted by their father to ...more
iparks
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to iparks by: My cousin.
An excellent book. "The Midnight Dancers" is a modern day fairy tale of the classic twelve dancing princesses, also the fourth book in the Fairy Tale Series. Rachel Durham, the eldest daughter of twelve discovers an ancient passage way hidden in their bedroom. Entranced by the beauty of the night the twelve sisters escape and swim and dance on a pavilion owned by a fellow neighbor. Their father troubled at the sleepy girls enlists the help of a medical, and juggling extraordinaire, Paul Fester, ...more
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I needed a lighter, fun novel to read, and "The Midnight Dancers" met the criteria. Although the themes were serious and some of the scenes intense, it was still a book that I could get caught up in and simply enjoy. I appreciated the themes of goodness and beauty that Regina Doman wove throughout the book. I also like that she continuously has very strong male characters in her fairy-tale novels. These guys are solid, role-model types. The kind of men I pray my sons grow up to be. Paul Fester ...more
Peter Mongeau
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Midnight Dancers is the fourth in Regina Domans series of Fairy Tale Novels, and this, by far, is my favorite of her four books. The story takes place in Bayside, Maryland and is a new take on Grimms The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and involves twelve sisters (six sisters and their six stepsisters) who are being raised in an extremely strict Christian household with little or no room for freedom.

Read more: http://catholicfiction.net/book-revie...
Brooke
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Searching for YA novels with a more values-based theme for my daughter. This book, written by a Catholic apologist, is refreshing in that the characters' faith is written as a positive part of the story line (and not, as in most literature it seems, represented as a bad childhood memory). I have a hard time giving any YA fiction over three stars, but the atypical representation of good characters squeaked out an extra star.
Elizabeth
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
While Blance and Bear are still my favorites, I enjoy Doman's Fairy Tale Retold series. Not only does she re-imagine fairy tales in modern day she deftly incorporated catholic theology into the story.

I think my favorite part was in the middle when Paul was telling Rachel about how the devil misleads men into thinking women are objects instead of people.

**I'm revising my original rating up to 5 stars because 6 months later, I'm still thinking about this book
Marie Freundl
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this after waking rose. I didn't at first connect Paul to the previous book. I never really felt bad that Paul didn't date Rose, until this story. This book focuses on Paul and the girl, those name I forgot. He sacrifices his pride, his heart everything for this girl and she basically throws it in his face. In the end she realizes the difference between being nice and being good. And how necessary being good is.
« previous 1 3 next »
Fairy Tale Retold...: The Midnight Dancers 4 9 Nov 19, 2016 02:50PM

• Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul
  • Bane's Eyes (I Am Margaret) (Volume 4)
  • Spindle's End
  • The Hidden Treasure of Glaston
  • Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man
  • Uprising
  • Heidi
  • The Three Most Wanted (I Am Margaret #2)
  • Catholic, Reluctantly: John Paul 2 High School - Book 1
  • Trespasses Against Us
  • Syren (Septimus Heap, #5)
  • Physik (Septimus Heap, #3)
Regina Doman is a Catholic wife, mother, author and editor. Currently she runs her own company, Chesterton Press, which publishes and distributes quality Catholic fiction. When she worked as the editor of Sophia Institute Press' fiction line, she launched the popular John Paul 2 High series for teens, and Rachel's Contrition became a #1 Best Seller in Amazon's Women's Fiction category, and winner ...more

A Fairy Tale Retold (6 books)
  • The Shadow of the Bear (A Fairy Tale Retold #1)
  • Black as Night (A Fairy Tale Retold #2)
  • Waking Rose (A Fairy Tale Retold #3)
  • Alex O'Donnell and the 40 CyberThieves (A Fairy Tale Retold #5)
  • Rapunzel Let Down: A Fairy Tale Retold (A Fairy Tale Retold, #6)

News & Interviews

“Try to be a whole person. Not just a night person, or a day person. Be the kind of person who can live in both.” 6 likes
“His face twitched, as if he were in pain. He said softly, 'Don't say that. Don't you understand? The whole point is, it's all a lie. You're not a toy at all.” 0 likes