Start by marking “When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3)” as Want to Read:
When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3)

When the Eagle Hunts

(Eagle #3)

Simon Scarrow's brilliant adventure novels about the Roman army appear with stunning new covers.

After a series of bloody battles, Camulodunum (modern-day Colchester) has fallen to the invading Roman army. The Emperor has returned to Rome, leaving the fearless Centurion Macro and his young Optio, Cato, to rest and regroup, along with the rest of the Second Legion. As their
Published May 2003 by Headline (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about When the Eagle Hunts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Eagle Hunts

Start your review of When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3)
Terri
Feb 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
If you are a Simon Scarrow fan then please shield your eyes, this is not going to be pretty.
I can't believe it! I bought this book (and two others in the series) based purely on the good reviews left for it on goodreads. So what I can't believe is how it got them in the first place. This book is atrocious and it's no wonder that people can pick them up from bargain bins in supermarkets. I'm sure if I got a pair of scissors and cut out all the dialogue I may have myself a book that may be worth
Stuart
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers..."

You'd think the II Legion Augusta would have had a easier ride hiking through the south-west of England. If you know about this side of the country, you'd know the stereotype - easy going, farmers, cider drinkers. Take out the first and third term, you wouldn't be far off the mark. The land is fertile and would provide land based food stuffs for the Roman forces, instead of relying on produce brought from overseas. A marching diet generally consi
Mayank Agarwal
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is by far the best book of the series yet. The book is about a pair of Roman legionaries and their adventures as army officers which include leading from the front to solo spy and rescue mission, the setting is Roman invasion of Briton. The book is perfect mixture of historical facts and creative embellishment, while the timeline, battle style and strategy are historically accurate, the adventure and the one on one fight are realistic and not mystically heroic, only the characters and plot ...more
Mark Harrison
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dastardly Druids have captured Roman citizens who they plan to burn alive. Marco and Cato are sent to attempt a rescue and must battle incredible odds aided by Marco's new girlfriend Boadicea. Yep it is far fetched and yes it stretches history I am sure but for a totally diverting thrill a page adventure look no further.
Beorn
Finally a book in the Eagle series that didn't feel like a huge waste of time reading.
It has taken this far in to make me actually enjoy (slightly too strong a word) one and if I'm honest, if I hadn't been over-eager and bought all the books before having read any, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the series again.

This book can neatly be summed up as Macro & Cato versus some typically evil as hell Druid bastards who've captured some Romans - the family of General Plautius himself no less -
Deborah Pickstone
I saw on the jacket a comment from Bernard Cornwell that 'I just don't need this competition'. He's wrong; there is no competition, Scarrow is by far the better writer. Cornwell wrote the Arthur trilogy of which he can be justly proud - and nothing else of worth in all his many books. Scarrow writes with increasing confidence with each of these tales of Macro and Cato. I could wish he hadn't used Boudica as a character in this one in the way he did (and Prasutagas was a very odd confection) but ...more
Trey Stone
The plot is pretty straightforward: A brief prologue details a ship lost at sea. Only four Romans survive. They wake up on a beach in Britannia only to be taken away by barbaric tribesmen just when they think they're saved.

Cut to Macro and Cato, soldiers in the Roman army, busy trying to conquer Britannia. There's lots of marching and fighting, and marching and fighting, and fighting and marching. That's until they're given a very special mission: find and save the people who were lost at sea. T
Baba
Eagle of the Empire book 3: My first read of one of quite few best selling historical fiction serials. Presumably a well researched and well crafted historical fiction. Cato and Macro work with Iceni's Boudicea and Prasutagus to rescue General Plautius' family from the Dark Moon Druids. Sounds like a rip roaring adventure... which it is! 6 out of 12.
Gem
Wow! Definitely the best addition to the Macro/Cato series so far.

Throughout these epic novels, Scarrow seamlessly switches from the personal POV of Macro and Cato to the view point of the army as a whole, to the ongoing invasion of Britain, and back again without a glitch. It's very cleverly done and keeps you hanging on to every word. He doesn't bombard the reader with technicality or historical terms that might leave people like myself scratching their heads over it. I really admire his styl
F.
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the way that Scarrow ties in just the right amount of historical fact with creative license to ensure that the readers are left breathlessly waiting for more and to see what happens next. This book introduces Boudica, which fans of Roman or British history should recognize from the name alone and if you don't . . . well, GTS (Google that shit).

This, book three, was probably my favorite of the series so far. There was just the right combination of set piece large battles between Roman leg
Ubalstecha
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
Excellent entry in this series, which finds Macro and Cato going on a suicide mission to rescue the general's wife and children before they are burnt alive by the Druids. Joining them on the hunt are Boudica, whom Macro has had a fling with, and her betrothed, the immense Prasutagus. Are they the historical Boudica and Prasutagus? Probably. A convenient bit of poetic liscence, but this is historical fiction, these things happen.

Simon Scarrow's books about the Roman Legion are full of accurate de
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WHEN THE EAGLE HUNTS REVIEW

This series gets better with each new episode. Centurion Marco is one of the great's of historical-adventure-fiction- easily the equal of Sharpe, but with a great vein of humour thrown in. I'm extremely suprised that the author (Simon Scarrow) has never served in the British army as the "language" is highly authentic & most un-Roman. Macro is every corporal I've ever met! As an ex-squaddy I found huge parts of Roman military life uncannily similar to the modern british
Marc
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book tremendously. It’s a good old adventure story well told. A Roman centurion and his assistant have to rescue the wife and children of a high ranking Roman, helped and guided by two Britons from the Iceni tribe in the face of opposition from the Durotriges tribe and their Druid leaders.
You get all the expected elements: marching Romans and battles in the inhospitable terrain at the end of winter and the ever present threat of the Druids and their death cult.
The battle and sieg
Mike Farrell
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book but not quite up to the standard of the first 2 books in the series.

Rather than the normal Roman battle against an enemy army, this story is more of what we would now call a special forces mission..

The wife and children of Plautius, the commanding general of the Roman army in Britain, are captured by the mystical and ruthless Druids, Cato and Macro “volunteer” to journey through enemy territory to rescue the general’s family, certain to face agonizing and prolonged torture and death at
Francis Pellow
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
In an effort to clear some of the unread books on my shelves i picked up this book from the enjoyable Macro and Cato series. It continues the fun and pacey historical adventure from where it was left at the end of book 2 (which i read at least a year or so ago). Some of plot developments stretch believability a little too far but still it's a fun read.
I won't leave it so long to read book four in the series (also sat unwanted on my shelf for some time).
Sandy Millin
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Scarrow's depictions of military life in Roman Britain to be very clear, and the book was easy to read. I enjoyed the depictions of the Iceni, and particularly the interactions with Prasutagus. However, I'm not sure I'll read any more of his Roman books as it felt like it was one battle after another throughout, and although there was some character development, it seemed like it was the battles driving the story.
Clay Kallam
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it
The third in the series about Roman legions during the great days of empire was the least successful of three, for me, as it was basically 274 pages of military derring-do -- and implausible derring-do at thar -- without any leavening of political or strategic maneuvering. As such, it didn't measure up to the first two books, but I'm still sufficiently on board to try volume four.
Dean
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love reading anything of Scarrow....His books are always easy to read. I have become more interested of the druids and have started to look for books on them...If anyone can recommend any books on them I would greatly appreciate it.....
Louis
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant series from the off, with engaging characters who take us in this book through the very earliest stages of the Roman conquest of Britain. Reviewing this series retrospectively, it is one of the best I have read and cannot put down!
Mike
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read, but nods a fetidor

Truly a fun book. But it is sadly marred by enough typos to flunk an undergrad. Historical accuracy and perception, strong characters and good writing carried me through it. I'll read more in the series, but I hope an editor is found.
Somnath Sengupta
May 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Scarrow is absolutely terrible with his historical setting. You can put this story on backdrop of Sharpe or WW1 or Afghanistan under Taliban & it wouldn't make a difference. The adventure bits are also very mediocre & predictable. ...more
Luis Rodrigues Rocha
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the terrible Winter of AD 44, twenty thousand legionaries stationed in Britannia are impatiently waiting to resume the conquest of the Britannic island. The Breton resistance is increasingly fierce and the natives do not miss an opportunity to undermine the efforts of powerful Rome.
Rachel
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I felt this was a more complex read than the earlier books in the series (not a criticism) but just as enjoyable if not more so. Prompted me to spend a little time thinking about the fact that we don't know or think about the daily life of the well known names of history.
Caralyn Rubli
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent. Lots of action. I wish it was longer. I would love to see a TV show based on the series.
Marcus
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining story about the Roman invasion of England looking a bit at the culture of the druids. Good action interspersed with some character development for the two main protagonists.
John Roberts
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Tedious and predictable. I've moved on to another series by Bernard Cornwell.
Connor Ludovissy
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A rare book that improves on its predecessor in significant ways. A tighter plot and a likeable cast of characters go a long way.
Debbie
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I was hoping for more of an insight into the way the Roman army lived and worked
Lee Curry
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to follow

Brilliant gripped to the very end.
You get drawn into the story and struggle to put it down excellent read
Alison D
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once into it was a really good giving an insight as to how the Roman soldiers may have thought.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hannibal: Enemy of Rome (Hannibal #1)
  • The Forgotten Legion (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #1)
  • The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Fire in the East (Warrior of Rome, #1)
  • The Death of Kings (Emperor, #2)
  • The Field of Swords (Emperor, #3)
  • Arrows of Fury (Empire, #2)
  • The Gods of War (Emperor, #4)
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • Eagles at War (Eagles of Rome, #1)
  • Sharpe's Fortress (Sharpe, #3)
  • Emperor's Knife (Imperial Assassin #2)
  • Wounds of Honour (Empire, #1)
  • Emperor's Sword (Imperial Assassin #1)
  • Y Julia retó a los dioses (Julia Domna, #2)
  • Sharpe's Rifles (Sharpe, #6)
  • Tribune of Rome (Vespasian, #1)
Simon Scarrow is a UK-based author, born in Nigeria, and now living in Norfolk. He completed a master's degree at the University of East Anglia, and, after working at the Inland Revenue, went into teaching as a lecturer at City College, Norwich.

He is best known for his "Eagle" series. This is Roman empire military fiction, starting with the second invasion of Britain, and continuing with subsequen

Eagle (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Under the Eagle (Eagle #1)
  • The Eagle's Conquest (Eagle, #2)
  • The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle, #4)
  • The Eagle's Prey (Eagle, #5)
  • The Eagle's Prophecy (Eagle, #6)
  • The Eagle in the Sand (Eagle, #7)
  • Centurion (Eagle, #8)
  • The Gladiator (Eagle, #9)
  • The Legion (Eagle, #10)
  • Praetorian (Eagle, #11)

News & Interviews