Start by marking “How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life” as Want to Read:
How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life

How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life

(Successful People)

Gather successful people from all walks of life -- what would they have in common? The way they think! Now you can think as they do and revolutionize your work and life!
A Wall Street Journal bestseller, How Successful People Think is the perfect, compact read for today's fast-paced world. America's leadership expert John C. Maxwell will teach you how to be more creative a
Published June 1st 2009 by Center Street (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about How Successful People Think, please sign up.
Mark Deson Cuñado It is about the different ways of thinking you should have if you want to be successful.

Start your review of How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
Sylvie
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Maxwell is a very good motivator.
However, I am not sure if he has not written this book for people who want to think like Successful People or for MEN who want to think like Successful People.

ONE THING that has really, but really, really bugged me is when he talks about the fact that HE does not have time for the mundane ! Margaret, wonderful, Margaret (that's his wife) takes care of these meaningless things, because Mister's time is WAY too valuable for them !!!

Being a woman, I wonder if that
Word Owl
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
There was nothing really new about this book. Maxwell tends to use flowery language in order to cover his redundancies. Truth is, the content of this book would be better suited to the length of a blog post rather than a book. ...more
Aronkai
Skill 6 – Feel the energy of p
Chad Warner
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: Kelly Warner
This was more motivational than actionable. It's full of good reminders, but I didn't create any to-dos (as I usually do for actionable non-fiction). By the end of the book, I was asking myself, "Am I living the life I've been called to?"

To be fair, I do a lot of reading and listening about mindset. In addition, I was in a community leadership development program last year, went through a "boot camp" for web agency owners earlier this year, and am currently in a mastermind for web agency owners.
Kells Next Read
Even better the second time around. I always feel recharged and re-focused after listening to Mr Maxwell.
Jamia
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: corporate types and those who want a new framework for thinking... that has its limitations.
I didn't love the book which I thought was really lacking in terms of my needs for a social justice framework and addressing systems of inequality...I also hated his idea that only unsuccessful people make decisions motivated by survival. Obviously a high-income straight white male would say that because he hasn't been forced to struggle in a system formed to oppress him... Obviously survival wouldn't occur to those this society deifies...
Heidi
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Short and easy to read exceptional and practical book about the importance of thinking! What a concept. well, for me. There is a chapter on each of various types of thinking: big-picture thinking, focused thinking, creative thinking, realistic thinking, strategic thinking, possibility thinking, reflective thinking, questioning popular thinking, benefiting from shared thinking, practicing unselfish thinking and relying on bottom-line thinking. My favorite quote from the book is "the truth will se ...more
loafingcactus
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015
I think by the time one is 25 or so this book had better not have anything to teach or you r doin' it rwong. I'm 40. So.

However, this might be a good discussion guide for teaching an advanced high school student or someone in their first job.
Rachel Edney
The first book in my quest of wading through an annoying genre for some good ideas
Nicole
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
In How Successful People Think, Maxwell talks about the different types of thinking successful people apply to their everyday lives. The book provides steps on how to change your thinking to elevate your life, and put yourself on the path to whatever you're trying to achieve or succeed in. Success is objective; it will be different for everyone, but in this sense, it's about helping you see the bigger picture for your life.

He defines 11 keys to successful thinking:
1. Seeing the wisdom of big-pic
Vesa Ferizi
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
A carry-on summary that might help you stay on track or loyal to your principles (if they're already included in the book). However, it couldn't have been more elaborated because of the style that the author chose. In a nutshell, a worthy read that might be easily forgotten.
Michael Huang
Usual suspects of good advices: Think outside the box; be empathetic; do not blindly follow group-think; be unselfish; collaborate with others...
Tatiana Argabright
Jul 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
I don't normally write reviews, but I'm going to for this book. I don't want to only state everything I disliked about this book, so I'm going to start with the good:
Maxwell makes some valid points in his book. I don't disagree with the notion that how you think can set you up for success. I also didn't notice any egregious spelling or grammatical errors in the writing, and generally the sentences flowed well.

The bad:
1. The writing. I know I just said the writing flowed well, but that doesn't m
Loy Machedo
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Loy Machedo’s Book Review - How Successful People Think by John Maxwell is another condensed book of Self Improvement / Business where the author tries to summarize the different styles of thinking necessary for success in the Business World.

According to the author the 11 keys to successful thinking:

6. Explore Possibility Thinking
7. Learn from Reflect
Bar Franek
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Life consists of what a man is thinking about all day"

A short, but thought-provoking book.

This isn't a book that explains how successful people think differently from unsuccessful people, which you might gather from the title. Rather, it explains how to actually think and the different flavors of thinking. Anyone can learn how to think, which is the point of the book, and when you learn this skill you multiply your chances of success- according to the author.

A lot of us, entrepreneurs especia
photogrl2020
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwdb-book-list
Gotta be at least my 2nd-3rd time reading this book, and it's still good. Definitely gets you thinking! So yes, it does exactly what the title says! Lol. Worth the read-all John Maxwell's books are good and easy reads. Simple to understand, always have little outlines for application/further thought. Highly recommended author. Everyone could learn something from him. Or lots of things. He even speaks at our organization once a yr and we love having him! (the love goes both ways, btw
Rick Yvanovich
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Excellent read. Its the second book I've read by John Maxwell and I find his style very readable which inspires me to read more of his books.
The message in this book resonates with others that I have read such as the Slight Edge and helps hammer home the importance of how you think.
Bianda
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Change your thinking, change your life. I think that really sums it up.
Gordon Diver
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for ways to develop your critical thinking and abilities to adapt to an ever changing workplace and indeed world, this is an essential read.
Abdalla Mamdouh
نسخة مؤسسة هنداوي غير كاملة
Stephen Stilwell
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
There is purpose in just thinking — not multitasking or trying to brainstorm an idea while waiting to pick up your lunch, but dedicating time to sitting and pondering. We shouldn’t designate thinking time to only gaps in our schedules, such as daily commutes. The point is not just more thinking but better thinking, and this means no multitasking. Instead, we should establish a thinking place and a routine to follow. If we have good ideas, we need to dedicate time to shaping them and creating an ...more
Ghuraify Alawi
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book. Although most of the stuff is known by most of readers about thinking and success, John Maxwell puts them in a series and perspective that make the reader suddenly say, ah, I should have noticed this.

I liked the coasters about big picture, focus, possibility and unpopular thinking.
Crystal Messing
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love love love. Critical thinking laid out for you.
Tariq
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Book written in simple language containing great lessons for constant implementation in life.
Nita
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love

If you love some good teaching, this is almost as good as hearing him speak it. Some good reminders for all of us on the power of our thoughts.
Ricardo Garcia
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the practical approaches he gives in this book.
Ali
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite good book, elaborating different type of thinking of successful people
Morgan Deane
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
It was interesting! I’ve never thought about all the different kinds of thinking. I enjoyed thinking about it.
Elias Thomase
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great read from John C. Maxwell. This book helps my thought process about investing in others and what it means to be a leader. I am honored to have the opportunity to read this book.
Sujit
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I read this book immediately after reading ‘How Successful People Lead’. These books go hand-in-hand.
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect total # of pages 3 44 Jul 20, 2013 11:20AM

• How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age
  • How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less
  • Napoleon Hill's Golden Rules: The Lost Writings
  • Pro-Sumer Power II ! How to Create Wealth by Being Smarter, Not Cheaper, and Referring Others to Do the Same
  • Do Pause: You are not a To Do list
  • Overworked and Overwhelmed: The Mindfulness Alternative
  • Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success: The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement
  • Seducing the Subconscious: The Psychology of Emotional Influence in Advertising
  • The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play
  • The Best Advice I Ever Got on Marriage: Transforming Insights from Respected Husbands and Wives
  • How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People
  • Living the 80/20 Way: Work Less, Worry Less, Succeed More, Enjoy More
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast: A Short Guide to Making Over Your Mornings--and Life
  • The Power of I Am: Two Words That Will Change Your Life Today
  • Can You Learn to Be Lucky?: Why Some People Seem to Win More Often Than Others
  • 25 Things to Say to the Interviewer, to Get the Job You Want: Being Qualified Isn't Enough
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more

Successful People (6 books)
  • Make Today Count: The Secret of Your Success Is Determined by Your Daily Agenda
  • How Successful People Lead: Taking Your Influence to the Next Level