Start by marking “Little Oink” as Want to Read:
Little Oink

Little Oink

(Little Books)

From the creators of Little Pea and Little Hoot comes this tidy tale of a decidedly different pig. Little Oink is a neat little fellow. Clean, clean, clean, that's all he wants to do. But Mama and Papa won't have it! They say in order to be a proper pig, he has to learn to make a proper mess. "Don't come out until your room is a pigsty," says Papa Pig. "I won't have any ch ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Chronicle Books (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Little Oink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Oink

Vijetha
Little Pea, Little Hoot and Little Oink -I read these three adorkable children's books yesterday which adopt the reverse psychology on kids, if it can be called that.

There is a common setup for all the stories. These little ones live with their Mama and Papa, they hate doing something that is expected of them (also, forced on them by their parents) AND love something that kids, more often than not, are stereotyped to hate.

Little Hoot hates to wait for bedtime.
“All my other friends get to go t
Kathryn
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it
I agree with my friend Abigail that this was not quite as novel and entertaining as Rosenthal's other works "Little Pea" and "Little Hoot" though perhaps it is because we read it last of the trio and by now we were used to the style. Still, it's a humorous little tale with some cute illustrations and great to see a kid who wants very much to clean up his room! :-)
Judith
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aww, what an adorable book.
Jaksen
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Another book which was a near-miss with my four year old grandson. I wanted to share a few of Rosenthal's books with him as we'd never done so. But he didn't get the 'idea' behind the story - that a neat pig is unusual because 'most pigs' are or like to be 'messy.'

I read all sorts of books to him, silly ones, serious ones, ones with simple stories, others that have more to them, but this one he didn't care about, and wanted to 'find another' that he said he'd like better. (I own hundreds of book
Brian Herrera
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbs-picture-book
The Library Lady
Jun 09, 2009 rated it liked it
I like it and I'd give it a 4, but I'm afriad Rosenthal is hitting a rut and will insist on turning out 5 or 6 more of these a la Laura "If You Give..." Numeroff.
On the other hand, could Little Oink come to my house? The Pigs can have MY kids ;)
Jess
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
i'm not sure how i feel about this book. Especially if a child doesn't understand the humor behind the concept that cleaning is bad and making a mess is good when the opposite is true.
Ana
Oink darling, I need to be more like you!
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

The recent death of acclaimed and beloved author and filmmaker Amy Krouse Rosenthal was felt deeply in the children's literature community and far beyond. I have to say that when I opened up my mail to discover the board book of Little Oink, I felt it in my heart. For years now, I have been a fan of the author's work, always looking forward to reading and discovering what Krouse Rosenthal would next publish. I remember reading Little Pea, adoring it, then reading my way through Spoon, Chopsticks
Linda
And the last of the series. Little Oink is a pig who doesn't like having to make a mess. He does his chores, and is happy when he can start to play. His favorite game? (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)
Cindy Hudson
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amy Krouse Rosenthal’s Little Oink turns the concept of keeping a clean room and being neat and tidy upside down. Little Oink likes being clean, but his parents tell him pigs are supposed to be dirty. They scold him if he doesn’t have enough dirt on his clothes.

But the little pig is happy being clean. He digs for truffles in the dirt with a trowel, not his hooves. And when his classmates happily grub at a trough during school lunches, Little Oink wears a bib and eats with a knife and fork.

Toddle
Chiara Calò
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Here is the story if Little Oink, a little diligent pig who loves to be tidy and clean, but when mess up time - as his parents order - arrives, problems ensue. He just wants to be like the other kids, while his parents demand the opposite of him.
So he diligently turns his spaces into a pigsty.
When his "job" is done, he can finally go play outside. There he takes care of a perfectly clean tree house.
A happy ending for the whole family.

Amazon recommends this book for 5-6-year olds, but I would sug
Peacegal
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness, these books are so cute. Little Oink just wants to be neat and tidy, but his parents think that home sweet home should be a real pigsty. The story wasn't quite as developed as the others in this series, and it kind of just drops off at the end, but the delightfully sweet illustrations will amuse both kids and adults.
Kristi
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book of the series, and by far my favorite. It delighted me so much as an adult, that I had to buy it. The characters have such adorable and realistic expressions that show their every thought and help tell the story, while the contents and details make the story that much cuter and funnier. Highly recommend!
A.C. Paige
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is a little part in this book that can be used for counting. The plot is somewhat engaging and funny. I would use it with 4 to 6 year old children. You may have to summarize the story a little for children younger than that.
Terry
Our daughter (7) giggled her way through this. She thought it was funny that Mama Pig and Papa Pig never thought things were messy enough. Read the full review at the Reading Tub.
Alyssa Tabor
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Might work for storytime.
Miss Sarah
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Little pig is not like the other pigs he likes thing neat and clean not messy. Can he and his parents find a way to work out their differences? Cute. preschool and up
Kim
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Little kids will be tickled by Little Oink. Totally adorable.
Brenda Lower
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This would go well in an "Opposites" themed story time....
Jenn Swanson
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, children, quickie
A book about a little pig who wants everything to be neat and tidy unlike the other pigs. My daughter enjoyed this story and the illustrations were adorable. Would recommend.
Danette
Pruthvi
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I felt sad..
Kimberly
Not *quite* as cute as Little Pea, but still charming. If Little Oink is looking for a job, he can feel free to come clean my house!
Meredith
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Rather abrupt ending. I would make a good pig. See: change on bathroom floor that fell there the week after Thanksgiving.
Shelley
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: age-4, age-6
Abdullah Köksal
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I want to be in the Little Oink's place, messing everywhere :)
Kelly
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little pig loves to keep his life orderly and clean, the opposite of what other pigs, and his parents, expect.

This is a cute little book. Nice illustrations.
Anna
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this 😍
Kim
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super cute and ironic book about a pig that likes to clean up. His parents instruct him to "mess up" his room because, you know, he's a pig. Good book for teaching preschoolers about cleaning up.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• South
  • Let's Do Nothing!
  • Wanted: The Perfect Pet
  • Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • Pigs to the Rescue: A Picture Book
  • Waking Beauty

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something o