Start by marking “Why Does The Stock Market Go Up?: Everything You Should Have Been Taught About Investing In School, But Weren't” as Want to Read:

Kindle Edition
Published April 5th 2022

To ask other readers questions about Why Does The Stock Market Go Up?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Does The Stock Market Go Up?

Start your review of Why Does The Stock Market Go Up?: Everything You Should Have Been Taught About Investing In School, But Weren't
Adam Lund
May 29, 2022 rated it liked it
Shelves: investing
This is a simple, quick introduction to stock market investing. Short chapters introduce basic concepts clearly, making this ideal for beginners. Feroldi helps the reader feel empowered and confident in beginning their investing journey.
Lars
Apr 09, 2022 rated it did not like it
It's a blogg not a book

The book tries to come of as serious claming it is 294 pages. I've never read 294 pages so fast in my life and i am not a fast reader. Simple answer is that it is not 294, it would come down to around 90 if it was properly formated as a real book, perhaps 60 if you remove all the duplicated information, unnecessary lists and recap at the end of several chapters. Some chapters aren't even a page long. Secondly, the quality of the book is just incredibly low. It claims that
Chris Boutté
Apr 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been investing for about a year, so I’m still extremely new to investing. Brian Feroldi starts this book by saying that he wrote the book he wish he had when he was trying to learn how to invest, and he nailed it. Whether you’re just getting started, or about to get started, this short book provides a ton of value. I do think it’s also a great refresher book for any experienced investor to remember some fundamental aspects of markets and the stock markets work.

The book starts with giving a
David
Apr 25, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the simple and clear approach that Brian took to explain a rather complex topic.

Experienced investors will argue that the book was too simplified, but that's the point. I would have loved to have read this book during high school or college.

Highly recommended to any new investor or to anyone slightly interested in knowing why the stock market exists, and how stocks work.

In terms of format, chapters are short and clear, I like that. They even include a "Review" section at the end, whic
Erfan
A no-nonsense, to the point and succinct book.

Brian Feroldi well articulated 20 years of consumed information on the Stock Market.

This small book should be taught to our students from high school. Financial literacy is critical and this is one of the best gifts we can give to our young generation.

This book explains why the stock market is a great wealth-making machine and explains all your queries with "What" "Why" and "How".

This book will give you some confidence and encouragement to start inv
Pascal
Apr 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing
investment

Great summary and an easy read for new investors and even mid level investors. Read the book in one day. Clarifies some doubts about some concepts and confirms knowledge I have . In addition will help me strengthen company valuation and creating my own system whether to invest in a company or not. Will definitely be using it a reference and guidance . Good tool to educate friends and family,

Jake Preston
Jul 16, 2022 rated it really liked it
A terrific and accessible introduction to the world of the stock market, the single greatest wealth creation machine in the history of the world. Feroldi ignores industry jargon and needless sophistication. Instead, he provides a holistic education about what it means to invest, the wonder of compounding, why the stock market goes up, what to look for when hiring a financial advisor, and more. A great place to start for anyone looking to begin building wealth through investing.
Tim
Aug 22, 2022 rated it really liked it
I enjoy that you do not need to know anything about stocks to get a lot out of this book, everything is broken down into bite sized pieces so one can easily identify a particular topic they would like to learn more about.

That being said, I think the book could have done a better job of answering the fundamental question of why the stock market always goes up, as the explanation given in the book doesn't go into as much of an in depth explanation as I would have liked.
Katie Verchot
Apr 11, 2022 rated it really liked it
Basic summary on how to invest, much better than the textbooks from college. Reading this simple guide may have finally removed my fear of investing… maybes I’m not a gambler, I’m very risk adverse, but I feel like I’m missing out since I only have my retirement stuff together (and only very recently reviewed and rolled over!). Good quick read.
Dom Nuno
May 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: digital
A very good, very simple synthesis of what a beginner needs to know about finance. It’s an amazingly succinct and easy to grasp way of presenting concepts that often seem daunting.
Recommended reading for anyone starting out or even better with curiosity about the financial world and investment.
Like the author says, it’s the book I would have loved to have when I started.
Brandon Rathbun
Jul 12, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for the very basics of the stock market.
Don’t read this book expecting to get investing strategies (outside of ‘always be investing’), or expect the author to dish out best stock tips.
But expect easy to read insightful basics on the market.

Recommend for novice investors, not those who have been in the market for awhile.
Eugene
Apr 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Good starter book on investing!

Brian does a very good job breaking down the key points relevant to investing and explains in a simple no nonsense way to investors who are just starting out and to make sure they get on the right path as early as they can.
Bhanu
Apr 17, 2022 rated it really liked it
Good but not great

This book just provides you some basic knowledge about investing. I was expecting a bit more in-depth information about investing with more real time examples. This book is great for beginner investors only.
Kristine
May 29, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely thorough and well-researched introduction for someone who has never picked up a book about money before and has no clue how what stocks or the stock market are. I would have liked more meat to it, but I also appreciate that I’m not the intended audience.
Sam Maley
This book gave a great insights into some investing fundamentals and I would recommend to understand the dynamics for any first time defenders. Comprehensive description on P/E ratios and other data points that can be used for assessing stocks for beginners.
Kole Davis
Oct 30, 2022 rated it liked it
Good for starting at 0

If you don’t even know what the stock market is then this would be a great book. If you’ve been investing for 6+ months you probably already know 95% of the information in the book. Glad I read it though!
Gurjeev Anand
Apr 07, 2022 rated it it was ok
Very Basic Book

Good for starting investors who are aspiring to learn and grow. Very basic book. The book gets the fresher familiar with the nuances of stock markets.
Erik
Apr 13, 2022 rated it liked it
Great book for someone who knows nothing about the stock market. The chapters are very short and the writing is very clear and simple.
Narasimha
Apr 16, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Book

Wonderful book. Highly recommended reading. Very informative and explained the topic in an interesting way. Books have to be written like this.

Corey Johnson
Apr 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing
best intro to investing book I’ve read

Brian is an expert at making things simple. Not a wasted word or chapter. I can’t recommend this book highly enough!
Mayank Jaiswal
Apr 28, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read.
Brian Weisz
Extremely short, very basic. More like a reference guide.
RC
May 07, 2022 rated it liked it
This is a concise book that helps you review and brush up your knowledge of financial markets. Everything is explained in a clear and concise manner. Good one time read
فيصل كركري
May 25, 2022 rated it did not like it
Too simple for a huge field like stock market. Some experiences rather than a deep knowledge of the subject. Not worth the time
Per Wikman Svahn
May 31, 2022 rated it really liked it
Nice explanations of basic stuff, aimed towards beginners.
Andrew
Jul 17, 2022 rated it it was amazing
A terrific introduction to the stock market and investing, best served to those with a net worth of $0 or lower but equally enjoyable for those who think they’ve figured it out.
João Cortez
Aug 08, 2022 rated it really liked it
A short book with very basic information for the novice investor.
Steve
Aug 26, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Easy read for all levels of investors. An excellent book for those just beginning to invest or new to the workforce. A helpful resource that shares foundational principles for the skilled investor.
Mikko
Aug 28, 2022 rated it liked it
Quite Ok. Good basic info
Jade
Sep 11, 2022 rated it really liked it
A good foundational book to outline the basics of the stock market and its jargon.

• Just Keep Buying: Proven Ways to Save Money and Build Your Wealth
  • Die with Zero: Getting All You Can from Your Money and Your Life
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Quit Like a Millionaire: No Gimmicks, Luck, or Trust Fund Required
  • Effortless: Make It Easier to Do What Matters Most
  • Richer, Wiser, Happier: How the World's Greatest Investors Win in Markets and Life
  • Your Money or Your Life
  • Wanting: The Power of Mimetic Desire in Everyday Life
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • Building a Second Brain: A Proven Method to Organize Your Digital Life and Unlock Your Creative Potential
  • Build: An Unorthodox Guide to Making Things Worth Making
  • How I Lost Money in Real Estate Before It Was Fashionable: A Cautionary Tale
  • Playing with FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early): How Far Would You Go for Financial Freedom?
  • Things That Matter: Overcoming Distraction to Pursue a More Meaningful Life
  • The Psychology of Money
  • The Little Book That Still Beats the Market

News & Interviews

“Use websites like Garettplanningnetwork.com, financialplanningassociation.org, and napfa.org to find a list of potential advisors” 0 likes