Start by marking “Mahu Vice (Mahu, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mahu Vice (Mahu, #4)

Mahu Vice

(Mahu #4)

Months have passed since Honolulu homicide detective Kimo Kanapa’aka walked away from the blaze at Wa’ahila State Park—and from his partner Mike.

Now, Kimo and Mike must work together to solve an arson-homicide while attempting to mend their relationship.

Neil S. Plakcy is the author of the Mahu series.

Published August 1st 2009 by Alyson Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mahu Vice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mahu Vice

Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
In the fourth book of the Mahu series, Kimo's dick is still getting him in trouble. When are you going to learn, Kimo?

He and Mike have broken up due to (view spoiler) and a year has passed. Kimo's not doing particularly well with the break up, since for some reason I can't fathom he blames himself for not giving Mike the chance to explain himself. Mike is doing less well. Kimo's been taking some pretty stupid risks in his sex life,
Mackenzie
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Hawaii Five-0 tv series
Can I just say: FINALLY!

It took me a year, various emails to the (previous) publisher (of this book) and a few distributors, as well as the author Mr Neil Plakcy himself, for me to finally be able to read and enjoy this book. Granted, I only just read the e-book version of it and haven't got the print one, but this is definitely better than nothing. And as it turned out, this book was worth waiting and staying up all night to read it for.

By now I'm a fan of Kimo Kanapa'aka and there is very litt
Mymymble
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Intricate mystery, great characters, old and new, although I'd like to have seen more of Ho.
Mike in particular came alive for me: his and Kimo's discussion about being mixed race finally made sense of him.
Kimo does make some very silly mistakes, even though his detection skills are as usual stellar. Having a relationship with Ho at all? Then apparently forgetting to put surveillance on him when he'd been given the budget for it???!
Never mind, I love the guy.
Craig Sisterson
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, lgbt
Neil Plakcy has created a distinctive hero in Kimo Kanapa'aka, noble and flawed, searching for himself while also trying to solve the mystery of a deadly fire at a retail strip his father used to own. Who is behind the blaze? Is it an insurance scam, or a cover-up for something far darker? Kimo's investigation is further complicated by the appearance of fire investigator Mike Riccardi, Kimo's ex-boyfriend. Their relationship ended when Mike exacerbated his refusal to come out of the closet by ch ...more
Yvonne
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yvonne by: Dee Wy
3.5 STARS As we open Mahu Vice, we find detective Kimo in a deep personal funk. He's separated from hunky fireman, Mike Riccardi. It seems Mike wanted to remain in the closet, not out to his parents or at work, and as a consequence they had stopped going out together spending most of their times in their apartment. Also, Mike when he was at a convention cheated on Kimo. Kimo didn't realize this until he woke up one morning with the burning sensation of gonorhea. After all this, Kimo broke things ...more
Ami
Wonderful combination of family, friendship, romance, and murder investigation -- I find myself being engrossed with the fourth book of Mahu series. Somewhere along book #3, Kimo finds his way to my heart, better than the first two books. Maybe because the insertion of romance with that fireman, Mike Riccardi.

I was a bit surprised when the book opened with Kimo informing us readers that him and Mike had broken up after only six months of relationship. Then, I got excited. Why? Because the blurb
Marissa Culp
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotic, gay, mystery
This is the fourth installment of the Mahu series (although there is a book of short stories called Mahu Men which takes place between Mahu Surfer and Mahu Vice.) This was a hard book to start. When I read through the first few paragraphs I was in shock. Kimo and Mike had split up? WHAT???

Then something horrible happens - the very first building Kimo's father ever built on his own has burned down and arson is discovered. Now Kimo must work with Fire Inspector and ex-boyfriend Mike Riccardi to fi
K
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up
This is the fourth book in this very good gay mystery series about police officer Kimo Kanapa'aka. It opens some 18 months or so after the previous book, with Kimo's relationship with fire officer Mike Riccardi having broken down around a year before and Kimo is not in a good place. When a series of murder/arson attacks occur the pair find themselves working together to try solve the crime - which involves prostitution and trafficking and for Kimo is yet again a little to clo
Edina Rose
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
First book I read in the Mahu series and it was good! I am a romance addict and this book is more mystery than romance, but I was totally engrossed in Kimo's investigation, in Kimo's life. I found him interesting, I like his voice, and I could listen to him ramble and express his regrets about his past mistakes for a long time.

He is the kind of flawed character I like, the kind that is self-aware and can atone for his faults. He is also funny and kind of normal, he feels real.

Mike, Kimo's love
Cassie Richards
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: detective
A suspicious fire at a retail strip previously owned by Kimo's father leads to Kimo and Mike having to work together again. Seeing Mike again forces to Kimo to realise that neither of them have weathered the break-up very well and maybe it's time to think again. Except that Mike has his own problems to deal with and Kimo seems to be intimately involved with the case yet again.

I had to check several times as I was reading this that I hadn't missed a book - this is the fourth book in the series a
Drianne
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, mystery, gay
Plainbrownwrapper
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
The Mahu series seems to be hitting its stride in this installment. I appreciated all the twists and turns and bits of information, even if some of the coincidences were too convenient -- and I liked the complications and vulnerabilities of Kimo's life and his reactions to and recovery from the ups and downs of his personal life. I did think that (view spoiler) ...more
Suze
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another gripping episode with Kimo and his family and many cohorts.
Whilst the mystery element is standalone, the best enjoyment comes from the development of Kimo and the other characters.
The mystery element this time dealt with the nasty underbelly of human trafficking, sex slaves and just horrid control freaks. Well written, though sometimes Kimo has to miss some obvious points to keep the story moving.
Mike and Kimo have obviously had issues since the end of book 3 so it was good to see a slow
Liz
Jun 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
I did like this story of Kimo - and I will look for the other Kimo stories, but sometimes Kimo rambles on and I wasn't always sure what the rambles had to do with the story - except for us to be in Kimo's mind. Which is sort of the point anyway, as he goes through live changing events.

And my epub copy of the story failed to recognize any of the Hawaiian dialects, so some of the words had multiple question marks - which was a distraction more than anything.
Jen
A little harder to determine which categories to shelve this one under... police procedural or mystery? There's a bit more of a romance to this one. This plotline was more complicated than the other books in the series. I had a bit of a time trying to keep all of the characters straight. Kept thinking "wait, who is that again?" Still a good story, though. Off to read the next book in the series!
Timm Dobbins
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another in the series of the work of a gay Honolulu detective, Kimo. This time he is reunited with the fireman who broke his heart as they investigate a series of suspicious fires. Lots of local references and a few good plot twists keeop the action moving as Kimo tries to sort out whether or not there is a chance he will take the fireman back as tehy race to catch an arsonist.
Adrian
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
So I bought this book cheap from a remainder and did not realise how much sex it would have in it. Detective Kimo has sex with pretty much every other character in the book, including all the bad guys. Despite this, the author managed to make the detective parts so they didn't seem too far fetched, and the characters were pretty well drawn. Surprisingly good.
Neet
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Kimo and Mike (the closeted fireman) break-up, Kimo goes on a sexually fueled escapades that leave him wanting something with more substance. Enter stage left Mike to join an investigation of an arson...Will these two ex-lovers be able to work together to solve the case and resolve their shattered relationship. This book is intense and left me glad for the journey I took with Kimo.
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Saba
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: delicious-mm, crime
This was so hard for me to get through, granted I did pick it up at 1am- still it was rough, I think I kind of hated Kimo in this one.
k reads
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quiltbag, read-2015
Conflicts are resolved too easily. And I'm getting tired of how Kimo's friends and family get involved in every investigation.
Ptdog
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Interesting. Very good crime solving, romantic Gay fiction series.
trisha
Dec 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-reads
More fun. So much wrong with Hawaiian cultural sharing. But I love the simplicity of these books.
Anna
Mar 02, 2011
Tap20191
May 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • Death by Misfortune (Bill Turner, #2)
  • L.A. Bytes (L.A., #4)
  • Spin Out (Deputy Joe, #2)
  • The Butcher's Son (A Dick Hardesty Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • Amuse Bouche (A Russell Quant Mystery, #1)
  • Shock to the System (Donald Strachey, #5)
  • Little Boy Dead (Boystown #0.5)
  • Bloodlines (Infected, #2)
  • Maloney's Law (Maloney's Law #1)
Neil Plakcy is an acclaimed author of cozy mysteries (the Golden Retriever Mystery series) as well as gay mysteries, M/M romance and gay erotica.

A journalist, book reviewer and college professor, he is also a frequent contributor to gay anthologies.

A three-time finalist for the Lambda Literary award, he teaches at writers' conferences and can often be found walking his two golden retrievers.

Mahu (10 books)
  • Mahu (Mahu #1)
  • Mahu Surfer (Mahu #2)
  • Mahu Fire: A Hawai'ian Mystery (Mahu #3)
  • Mahu Blood (Mahu, #5)
  • Zero Break (Mahu, #6)
  • Natural Predators (Mahu, #7)
  • Accidental Contact and Other Mahu Investigations (Mahu, #8)
  • Children of Noah (Mahu #9)
  • Ghost Ship (Mahu, #10)