Start by marking “I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1)

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You

(Gallagher Girls #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  167,056 ratings  ·  7,177 reviews
The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women is a fairly typical all-girls school - that is, it would be if every school taught advanced martial arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and students received extra credit for breaking CIA codes in computer class. The Gallagher Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses, but it's really a school fo ...more
Published August 7th 2008 by Lothian Children's Books (first published April 25th 2006)

Olivia Wrisinger It is perfectly fine for a twelve year old. I am 12 and read this a while ago. I started YA with the Hunger Games and wish I would have started with…moreIt is perfectly fine for a twelve year old. I am 12 and read this a while ago. I started YA with the Hunger Games and wish I would have started with this book instead.(less)

·  167,056 ratings  ·  7,177 reviews

Lola
Yesterday, I was in a book slump. I hadn’t been in a book slump for years. To cure myself, I decided to reread a favourite series of mine—The Gallagher Girls.

The key to loving this series is to not take it too seriously. It’s a series that explores the idea of being a teenage spy going to a boarding school that teaches spies how to neutralize an enemy, dozen of foreign languages, to unravel a bomb and other kickass things necessary for teenage spies to know.

It’s up to the readers to decide if t
Steph (Reviewer X)
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I picked this book up because of all the media hyper surrounding it—the Disney option and the New York Times bestseller status, not to mention the cute cover and interesting premise. Who hasn’t found themselves imagining what it would be like to be a secret government operative during an especially boring Physics lecture? Behold: the appeal of this book (to me, at least).

With all this in mind, why oh why was I so disappointed upon finishing it?

Because this book was subpar to its media attention.
Giselle
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
Yes. I'm a full grown adult. Yes, I thought this was pretty freaking awesome! Don't laugh at me!! *scowls*

These are the kinds of books I turn to when I want something fun and silly; a change of pace. A high-school-drama-filled book that I can read and enjoy without the need to use my brain a whole lot. It doesn't claim to be a deeply significant story that will blow your mind with its complexity. It's a relatively straightforward plot, but with all kinds of shameless fun, plenty of humor, an ado
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Welcome to The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, an all-girls school located just outside of Roseville, Virginia. Anyone looking at this elite private boarding school would see just what The Gallagher Academy wants you to see--a preppy school for privileged girls, complete with a guardhouse and stone wall to keep the curious away from their precious charges. And they'd be right, of course, and yet they would be so very, very wrong!

Because The Gall
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
*3.75/5 stars*

“You shouldn't judge someone until you've walk a mile through an underground tunnel in her uncomfortable shoes”

I had a tough time deciding on the final rating of this book: Most of the time, my enjoyment was on the 4 star level, but this book also isn't flawless and some parts begged for more logical 3 star rating. In the end, I'm going to give it lower 4 stars, because it was so much fun and an amazing introduction to a potentially kick butt series. I'm very excited to continu
Leanna
Sep 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a daydreamer—I think most readers are. As a freshman in high school, I had a recurring fantasy about being a spy. At the time, I was taking Russian classes (back when the Cold War was a recent memory) and spent hours imagining what life would be like if I’d been bred for espionage. What if I were fluent in fourteen languages? What if I could kill a man (or woman) with a ketchup bottle?

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter is my teenage fantasy come to life.

Ca
may ❀
This whole book was a buzzkill. I came for spies and bada*sery and instead got soul mates and puke-inducing cliches

description

I would most definitely consider this as middle school genre rather than YA bc it really lacks in the writing, the plot, and the characters. The writing is so juvenile and the humour is so forced im still cringing from exposure

The characters are annoying as frick man. I’d like to propose a new rule, the first being that a 14 year old should not refer to their spy teacher as ‘sexy’ o
Phrynne
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
Cute, funny, entertaining, very definitely young adult but still well written and readable for an older age group.

I read this for a challenge and was glad I did, as it probably would not have been on my reading list otherwise and I would have missed out! For once, the girl was an individual who kept to her main target in life despite having to sacrifice some personal things along the way - that included her boyfriend.

The action takes place in a school which is reminiscent of Hogwarts only this t
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
REREAD: July 2015

Since, I finished Gallagher Girls recently, certain things has been bugging. I simply have to read it. All I can say is I love it so much better now. And I could help but to chuckle darkly at what's about to come for them. Oh my sweet summer children.

Initial reading date: January 20, 2015

Gallagher Girls has been sitting in my kindle for a while and I actually tried reading it before, but I wasn't impressed with the writing.

The funny thing about it, I talk like the protagonist
Caryn
I liked this book in the same way that I like the Princess Diaries movies (1 and 2). It's cute. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I giggle when it's witty. And when the lights come up (or I reach the back cover), there's a smile on my face.

Cammie "The Chameleon" goes to a spy school. I mean, how cool is that! Yes, at times, the plot is cringe-worthy (I mean, the basic conflict is the fact that she can't tell the perfect boy that she can throw him to the pavement from six different positions), but
Zoha
description

“I suppose a lot of teenage girls feel invisible sometimes, like they just disappear. Well, that's me—Cammie, the Chameleon. But I'm luckier than most because, at my school, that's considered cool.-I go to a school for spies.”

description

"Learn Her Skills, Honor Her Sword, Keep Her Secrets"

Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women is an all-girls school. To the outsiders, it is an elite school for spoiled snobs; to the insiders, a spy-school for the genius girls. The school trains its students in diffe
Mary
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had so much fun reading this! I already had the hugest smile on my face by page 2 and it didn’t leave until the very last page. It’s such a feel good, fluffy, downright hilarious book and I’m so upset right now that I don’t own the rest of the series. It’s the kind of book that can pull you out of a reading slump, that feels effortless to read and that just makes reading so much fun!

Cammie Morgan goes to the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, which sounds like a fancy school for ri
Jennifer Girard
3.5

It was a pretty good book. Kind of a guilty pleasure but such a fun read. I would LOVE to be a spy.
Emer (A Little Haze)
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emer (A Little Haze) by: Zoha
Read as part of the ABN Summer Reading Challenge recommended by Zoha

This was pretty much candy floss in book format; I liked it at the beginning because it was so light and fluffy but by the end it gets all... Well you know how candy floss looks a bit crap by the end and you get sick of its endless sugary sweetness...
So this was a fun quick read but felt very lower ya / middle grade to me and I was just a bit bored with it by the ending. The characters were pretty much flat stereotypes rather th
Jasprit

Ally Carter was an author who I came across last year when I picked up her Heist society series. It was a series which was cleverly written, humorous and a lot of fun. After thoroughly enjoying it, I thought I would check out her Gallagher girls series.

I'd tell you that I love you but then I’d have to kill you follows the story of Cammie who was bought up into a family of spies; not much is known about Cammie’s dad other than he lost his life at doing something that he enjoyed and had
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This is one of those nostalgia books. They're not exactly high-class literature, but the Ghallager Girls are great fun.

TOP FIVE REASONS TO LOVE THIS SERIES

It's about spies. Like that doesn't make everyone want to read a book. Yes, it's hokey and the concepts have slight wish-fulfillment going on. It's fun anyway.

Fast-paced and never boring. It's exactly the kind of fast-paced fun you need in your life. You'll never feel like putting this series down. It especially improves as it goes; this is
Megan
Just realized I never reviewed this one! Well, here it is....

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You is fluff. Pure brain candy fluffy fluff. It would be so easy to knock so many aspects of this novel but I won't because there is one thing which I absolutely loved about it ~ the girls in Ally Carter's spy school actually value academics and when the going gets tough, they choose integrity and personal values over boys. Admittedly, if the market was flooded with this type of YA lit
Kelly Brigid ♡
“The time for crying with your girlfriends about a broken heart is over chocolate ice cream and chick flicks—not stun guns and bulletproof vests.”
Review

description

You know those books that are quirky, a little simple, maybe even childish, but you just can't help falling in love with? Well ladies and gentlemen, this is one of those books. I adored it! I admit, I was a bit skeptical over the cheesy title and cliché synopsis, but I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You was clever, cute
Morgan F
Feb 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tween girls who watch the Disney Channel
Okay, I was never expecting much from this book, especially after I saw that it had been optioned for a film by Disney. But I was hoping for some James Bond/Cody Banks/Spy Kids action.

This book is about Cammie Morgan, a student at the elite Gallagher Academy, which is essentially an all-girl school for spies. Cammie is a pretty normal student at Gallagher, besides the fact that her mother is the headmistress, and she has a reputation for being "the Chameleon." Cammie knows fourteen languages and
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You was cheesy in the best way! I was really intrigued when I read the blurb and it was about teenage girls attending spy school! How cool! The book was light and fun, and was exactly what I wanted. There was action, romance, and friendship, and I felt like all of those things were done really well. When I picked up the book, I wasn't sure that I'd want to read the rest of the series, but now I definitely want to find out what happens next!
Bark
Was a free audiobook download via SYNC .

I tried but I am just not in the mood to listen to this narrator. Her "teen" voice sounds childish and forced and more like a tween and it is grating on every single one of my frayed nerves.

I may get back to this some day when I'm less grouchy. But probably not.

The book may be fab, nothing against the book, but I just can't do it right now.

✨    jamieson   ✨
iconic
Courtney
Oct 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
It is actually really good. Not Twilight good, but it has a good story to it.
Crystal Stine

Author: Ally Carter
Publisher: First Hyperion Paperbacks Year: 2006
# of pages: 284 Genre: Romance
Reading level Interest level: 8th or 9th Grade
Potential hot lava: Has some references to violence but, not used as a weapon used as protection

General response/reaction: I love romance novels so I was really exited to read this book. I fi
Kimberley doruyter
i was amazed at how much i liked this book.
it was eciting and funny i just the right combo.
i loved it enough that i have already bought most of the series, and that's saying something i mostly read fantasy.
nicklein
I've forgotten how addictive this series was! I'm so glad I decided to read this baby again. Everything about this felt really familiar. It's almost like coming home. Reading this the second time around didn't change how sassy and quirky everything was. I can't wait to meet Zach...again!

“Yes, my heart cried, but my brain spoke of a biochemistry midterm, seven chapters of COW reading, and two weeks' worth of lab reports for Dr. Fibs."

Legit proof that Cammie is my spirit animal!

Oh and I'm bump
Linnea Karlberg
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger I loved "Totally Spies" and "Spy kids". Having these shows combined with a teenage girl going to boarding school? Pretty awesome.
Janette
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darling book. Made me wish I could go to spy school.
Lola
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and entertaining
Colleen Houck
I love the idea of an all girl spy school! Sadly, I don't think I'd ever get in. The cast of characters are fun. Wish I was one of the group. Life would be so much more interesting. =)

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Winning Element (The Specialists, #3)
  • Killer Spirit (The Squad, #2)
  • Family Affairs (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #3)
  • The Cupid Chronicles (Wedding Planner's Daughter, #2)
  • Alphas (Alphas, #1)
  • Speak
  • Death by Denim (Death By Mysteries, #3)
  • Runaway (Airhead, #3)
  • My Fair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #1)
  • Oh. My. Gods. (Oh. My. Gods., #1)
  • Invitation Only (Private, #2)
  • Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty, #1)
Ally Carter writes books about spies, thieves, and teenagers. She is the New York Times Best-selling author of the Gallagher Girls, Heist Society, and Embassy Row series. Her books have been published all over the world, in over twenty languages.

She encourages you to visit her online at allycarter.com and embassyrowbooks.com.

Gallagher Girls (6 books)
  • Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy (Gallagher Girls, #2)
  • Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover (Gallagher Girls, #3)
  • Only the Good Spy Young (Gallagher Girls, #4)
  • Out of Sight, Out of Time (Gallagher Girls, #5)
  • United We Spy (Gallagher Girls, #6)
“I suppose a lot of teenage girls feel invisible sometimes, like they just disappear. Well, that's me—Cammie the Chameleon. But I'm luckier than most because, at my school, that's considered cool.

I go to a school for spies.”
565 likes
“I think it's kinda nice.' And I did. my mom isn't famous for her pies. No, she's famous for defusing a nuclear device in Brussels with only a pair of cuticle scissors and a ponytail holder. Somehow, at the moment, pies seemed cooler.” 451 likes