Start by marking “Developing the Leaders Around You: How to Help Others Reach Their Full Potential” as Want to Read:

Why do some people achieve great personal success, yet never succeed in building a business or making an impact in their organization? John C. Maxwell knows the answer. According to Maxwell, the greatest leadership principle that he has ever learned in over thirty-five years of leadership is that those closest to the leader will determine the success level of that leader. ...more
Published October 2nd 2005 by HarperCollins Leadership (first published February 22nd 1995)

Start your review of Developing the Leaders Around You: How to Help Others Reach Their Full Potential
Nick
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, own
This book has a lot of wisdom and practical advice to help leaders develop more leaders, but I have read some of of this in Maxwell's other books. Part of my frustration with the book comes from the fact that I want to know what to do if you had less than ideal circumstances? What happens when you can't really choose your teams without big consequences? What do you do when the people you would potentially be developing are volunteers who have more connections to higher leadership than you do?

An
Marco
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audiobook of this one. Classic Maxwell! Full of practical and insightful guidance for leadership development. This book is a great reminder of how I am responsible for the development of the leaders around me. It is my job help them become successful and reach their full potential. I'll probably buy this as a resource to teach from for months and years to come!
Greg
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book exceeded my expectations, it really is an excellent read. Recognized as a great contributor to the field of leadership, Maxwell attempts in this book to distill the principles one should strive to exhibit as a leader, as well as behaviors that one should look for when selecting potential leaders in the future and building strong teams. The behavioral aspect is, in particular, a differentiating feature of this book. The difference between views leaders have about people is interesting. ...more
Lauren Head
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The following answers are from my BetterBookClub.com report for cj Advertising...

Q-Give one quote from the book that impacted your thought process and describe how.
A-“The guy who puts the ball through the hoop has ten hands.” –The Great John Wooten, UCLA’s former Basketball Coach

Q-Which co-worker would you recommend this book to?
A-I would recommend this book to any Department Head so that they can develop their team.

Q-Rate this book on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest rating.
A-I would give
Rashida Serrant-Davis
Read this before reading more recent books he's written, like the 5 Levels of Leadership. I did it the other way around and found that some of what I read was... how can I call it, retroactively repetitive? Nonetheless, it was valuable reinforcement of ideas that he develops further in later writings. He wraps up with case studies that are valuable to me.

My only negative critique is that he used quite a lot of sports references to convey ideas. Although I did get the points, those sections didn
Sam Pilla
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This one book made a paradigmic shift on how I thought of building a team. Your team makes you so better build leaders around you.
Marissa Michael
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my required reading for Purpose Institute course (fourth semester). It is recommended for you to read the 'Developing the leaders within you' first by the same author before you read this book. On the other hand, the author did a great job in writing a succinct account of the previous book but it's better for you to read that one first.

I am mind blown by the amount of experience by this author as a good leader and a great leader. It is true that "without a successor, there can be no succ
Chris Miller
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed reading a couple of Maxwell's books, but I found this one to be more helpful than the others I have read. I found more things that I could easily apply, and should apply, at the company I work for. His focus on developing others, and how to do it, is something that I have had limited success with during my career. I think Maxwell highlights some things that I did not consider regarding potential candidates, and some things that I did not do with regards to the training (equipping ...more
Adam
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
While this is an important aspect of life and success, I thought the approaches and advice he gave was rudimentary. Great stuff, but nothing groundbreaking and not a lot of substance. There are helpful moments and helpful points you know he will write five more books over. But as a book as a whole I expected a bit better. Maybe I’m being too harsh, I don’t know. I did this book immediately following its companion book, Develop the Leader Within You.
Tom Brennan
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I like Maxwell. He has helped me. But this book didn't. As I read it I just couldn't help thinking that he was writing a book not because he had something to say but because he had to say something. It just felt like filler, as if the author had turned into an actor who had to play the part of a leadership guru so he said lines that sounded sort of good. I'm not saying there isn't anything helpful in the book. I am saying it just struck me as a collection of rather weak and forced material.
Bryon Brandt
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Leadership is important for us individually.

And if we really want to succeed big time,
we need lots of talented people (leaders) around us too.

Which makes the Developing the Leaders around Us, really important too.

This book will give you lots of ideas to help ensure that you aren't trying to do it all yourself.
Ben Lobaugh
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great book from John Maxwell. This is a good book to go along with Developing the Leader Within You. While John has written many other books on building teams, this book focuses on building leaders specifically. The ideas within here resonated with me as this is how I run my teams already. John's insight and advice added new tools to take my team to the next level!
Jeremy C Barton
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Platoon Commander

A must read for all platoon commanders. Don't assume that your SNCO already have it all together. Don't be afraid to develop them but your platoon's success is hinged on your ability to grow personally.
Nicole Babcock
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nothing new or earth shattering. If you want a real leadership book, read Drucker. Based on the way the author uses only male pronouns to describe leaders, I thought of this as a dated period piece, but really it was written in 1995.
Vasco
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The bad: doesn’t tell you much you don’t probably already know if you’ve read other books on the matter.

The good: it’s an interesting, positive summary of the tools and techniques used to raise others as leaders. Very interesting.
Jules Lea
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Was a great read and had some awesome direction and guidance for developing my leadership skills. I read this and used it as a source to learn from and review while being developed in an internship. It brought some great clarity and direction in my leadership direction.
Farhan Safi
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book started off really well. The first 100 pages were one of the best that I have ever read but it lost it's course midway. It could have been a great book but ended up with mediocrity.
Teresa Kmetz
Maybe the unabridged book is better?
Jessica Power
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every book of Johns is amazing!!! I will implement this book into my management training at my company/ its very foundational.
Emily Farrar
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Have used these and implemented his ideas with my ladies.
Jonathan Brooker
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've heard that Maxwell is repetitive with the content of his books, but since this was the first of his that I believe I've read I found it to be chock full of good leadership principles and lessons. I took rigorous notes throughout the book and had to go through it very slowly to really digest what he was saying so that I didn't breeze over a chapter or a section that really needed to be processed as to how I would then implement that principle in my leadership role.
5 stars typically only go
Ben Donahower
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've always enjoyed John Maxwell's books. They ground you and keep you give commonsense, universal, though not necessarily groundbreaking, information on leadership, personal growth, and business.

This is my favorite of his books that I have read so far.

The idea of growing leaders who grow leaders and the practicalities of making it happen got me excited and his book left me with a lot of action steps to improve my own leadership abilities and those around me.
Ashlie
Jul 15, 2009 added it
I read this book for work, so I wasn't that into it in the beginning. Reading something when you are forced to read it is never as fun.

This book did have good ideas for developing leaders and lots of helpful platitudes, but nothing extraordinary or groundbreaking. If anything, the scope was too wide to be very effective.
Skip
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, 2013
I was inspired after reading "The 21 irrefutable laws of leadership" by John Maxwell and we had this book on the shelf. While not written as well it does hold a lot of value and I am putting the principles to work immediately. I'm looking forward to reading everything I can that John Maxwell has written.
Matthew
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
I first read this book in my seminary days, and I haven't picked it up or referenced it since (even though I knew it was a classic!)

As a leader of leaders, I especially loved the chapters on nurturing, equipping, and developing leaders.
Mitch Miles
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was one of the first leadership books I devoured early in my career. I remember listening to these principle over and over in my car as a District Manager for ADP (Automatic Data Processing).
Derek Emerson
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm firmly of the belief that almost all business books should be about 50 pages long -- the rest is repetition. Maxwell has some good, if not original, things to say and gives me some ideas/incentive on what to do with "my dream team."
Deonna Moore
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great blueprint for working with and encouraging emerging leaders on your team. After reading this book, you will be able to inspire and encourage your team to step up to the plate and become leaders in their rite.
Sergey
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I like the first half of this book, but the second one is all about the same idea (that is stated on the cover), so the overall is 3. However, I made lots of notes after reading this book, so the first half or 3/4 part is worth reading and it's definitely 5 stars.
Sujata Sahni
"Where Success is concerned, people are not measured in inches or pounds or college degrees, or family background, they are measured by the size of their thinking. How big we think determines the size of our accomplishments" David Schwartz
« previous 1 3 next »

• Acres of Diamonds
  • The Choice
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • The Dream Giver
  • Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do!
  • The Greatest Salesman in the World, Part II: The End of the Story
  • The Business of the 21st Century
  • I Kissed Dating Goodbye: A New Attitude Toward Relationships and Romance
  • Dangerous Prayers: Because Following Jesus Was Never Meant to Be Safe
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time
  • Leaders Made Here: Building a Leadership Culture
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling
  • The Generosity Factor
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more