Start by marking “Killer Calories (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Killer Calories (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #3)

Killer Calories (A Savannah Reid Mystery #3)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  945 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Savannah Reid, the "full-figured" P.I. who charmed critics and readers alike is back to track down the killer of an actress-turned-health spa owner found dead in her own hot tub. Unmasking the murderer won't be easy, but Savannah knows the most delectable endings are always worth waiting for.
Published February 1st 2000 by Kensington (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Killer Calories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Calories

Jlaurenmc
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
G. A. McKevett's Savannah Reid is a southern belle who has been displaced to Southern California. She was once a police officer, but after being kicked off the force, she has now opened her own business as a private investigator. With the help of her apprentice Tammy and her former police partner Dirk, Savannah solves crimes in this mystery series. Killer Calories is the third book that chronicles Savannah's mystery-solving skills.

The business world becomes personal when Tammy's other employer i
Maureen DeLuca
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Savannah Reid Mystery- It's a cozy mystery- enjoyable- pop corn for the brain when you need something light, cute , funny - and yes, you just have to remind yourself that when things get silly- well- a cozy is a cozy- and that is what we read them for-

If you are a fan of the cozy- then start with book one, and keep reading - if you only like a cozy here and there- by all means - start with book one and read them when you feel a brain candy rush!

Gail
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Savannah Reid, the southern sweet-talking, sweet loving ex-cop-turned PI is back. This time she is hired anonymously to investigate the murder of the 70s Disco Queen turned health spa owner. Savannah and her assistant, Tammy, check into the spa to investigate. Spa life is a challenge for the round-happy-with-my-shape-everyone-else-thinks-I-need-to-lose Savannah. She continues to investigate, sneaking out to meet with her ex-cop partner and others, all the while sneaking in pie a la mode.

Good my
Pam
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, mystery
I really like Savannah, her kick-ass attitude and her southern charm but...and it's a big but I'm having trouble with the books. As much as I enjoy the main character and even how she interacts with those around her as she goes about trying to solve whatever crime she's investigating the story is dragging for me. It's just not holding my interest, which explains why it took me 10 days to get through it...and the only reason I finished was it was due at the library tomorrow. I'm sad to say that I ...more
Sharon
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Another so-so book. Audible suggested I read it, but it didn't do much for me. Fluffy and ok in a pinch, but not rushing back for more.
Dharia Scarab
Much better, none of the villain POV in this one.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read more, But if I find another book by t
Pr Latta
Third in the Savannah Reid Mystery series, Killer Calories continues the humorous mysteries featuring Savannah herself, a "large" Georgia woman comfortable in her body who really enjoys food and life who was shuffled off the small town California police force in Just Desserts for her size as well as what she knows about the police chief and is now working as a private investigator. Her usual ensemble are present, with all the craziness you'd expect. It's mindless entertainment, good for a day at ...more
Jenn
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
First off, the cover for this is horrible. It was only published in 1997, so there's no excuse really. I picked it up at the used book store because I've been trying to find a new cozy series to get into.

The story was okay. It wasn't fabulous. There was none of the usual quirkiness you find in this genre. There were too many side characters that I was supposed to already know (yes, I know it's 3rd in a series) and I couldn't remember who was who. I won't read any more in this series, but it was
Marcia
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of the early Savannah Reid books. Her assistant Tammy needs more description, especially since she is in the middle of most of the action. The other spa visitors are rarely mentioned even though they were present at the time of Kat's death. Serious family issues are a concern for several characters. Some are resolved, but the book ends before others are. I like this series, but some characters and scenes seem to end abruptly.
Dorothy Garland
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I like all the characters , Savannah an ex cop fired from the force because she uncovered an inter agency scandal , is now a private detective .her cases are all interesting ,her best friend who was also her partner on the force I think is he is secretly in love with her ,but she only thinks of him as her best friend. This is book 3 of a series
Mikaela
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I just couldn't get through this book. While it had a good storyline and all, I just had trouble getting into the book and I kept putting it down to read something else. I finally had to return it to the library because I knew I wouldn't finish it.
Christine
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the quirkiness of the characters and the storyline. Death in a mudbath at a spa- priceless. The back and forth about Savannah's food and Tammy's is great. I have to give props to the cats, what a pair they are. This series is great.
Sharon
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to give this book 4 stars, even though I was distressed by the lack of closure between ideas in the first quarter of the book. That issue became non-existent as the story progresses, and I found myself not wanting to put the book down.
Linda
This one was lacking. She seemed more concerned with food and checking out men then trying to solving the case. Dirk came off really bad here. Will read some more by her, but I hope the characters aren't so shallow next time.
Kat
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Laura Hill
Nov 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kater
This is part of a cute series of light mysteries. The main character isn't too deep. It's a good "fluff" book if you want to be entertained, yet don't want to watch tv. there are several others in the series, all with "witty" food-related titles.
Tara Carpenter
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: culinary-mystery
This is the third book in the Savannah Reid series, and I don't think I'll read anymore. I really like Savannah's character, but the plots are kinda slow and uninteresting. Too many better things out there.
Deb Berke
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great beach read! Fun and entertaining. My only problem is I kept getting hungry because of all the times she discussed food!
D. Wickles
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this series! Enjoyed Savannah Reid with her food vices :)
Kitty Tomlinson
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Savannah checks into the Royal Palms Spa to investigate the death of owner, Kat Valentina. Fun read.
Susan
Another enjoyable read in the series.
Nanette
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this series by this author.
Debra McEathron
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
this was a good story about Savannah helping Tammy find a murderer.
Daelith
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
I just love this mystery series. Reid is a true Southern lady. *L*
Kim
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Each one of these, I start off thinking will be my last for this series. But then she hooks me with her no-nonsense attitude, her acceptance of her plump figure, and her love for her grandmother.
Roxann
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
It wasn't bad but not a page turner.
Mikel
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A little vulgar in area's but entertaining. I did appreciate a level of realism that isn't always achieved in murder mysteries.
Robin
Dec 31, 2012
Julie
May 28, 2014
Kate
Aug 15, 2013
Mansfield Public ...: Killer Calories Review by Nicole Potter 1 2 Jul 23, 2013 10:38AM
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Knock 'em Dead (Murder, She Wrote #13)
  • Hell Hath No Curry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #15)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Murder Hooks a Mermaid (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #2)
  • An Old Faithful Murder (Susan Henshaw, #5)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Whiskey Straight Up (A Whiskey Mattimoe Mystery, #2)
  • Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2)
  • Last Writes (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #2)
  • Walking in Fire (Hawaiian Heroes Book 1)
Since publication of her first novel in 1986, Sonja Massie has authored over fifty published works, including the highly popular and critically acclaimed SAVANNAH REID MYSTERIES under the pseudonym G. A. McKevett.

Sonja's novels range from Irish historicals to contemporary thrillers. Her earthy humor and fast-paced plots delight her fans, while critics applaud her offbeat characterizations and inci
More about G.A. McKevett...

A Savannah Reid Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Just Desserts (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #1)
  • Bitter Sweets (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #2)
  • Cooked Goose (Savannah Reid, #4)
  • Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid, #5)
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • Peaches and Screams (Savannah Reid, #7)
  • Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)
  • Cereal Killer (Savannah Reid, #9)
  • Murder à la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10)
  • Corpse Suzette (Savannah Reid, #11)