Start by marking “Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)” as Want to Read:
Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)

Death by Chocolate

(A Savannah Reid Mystery #8)

Published December 1st 2003 by Kensington (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Death by Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Chocolate

Start your review of Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)
June Ahern
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
My first read of this author and I'll be back because the characters are well developed and fun, well, mostly, some are not so nice plus the mystery got me going and I guessed wrong. So good for Ms. McKevett.
Katharine Coggeshall
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! McKevett is a master at weaving a suspense story with humor, intrigue, and overall entertainment. Her characters are so dimensional and well-crafted. The ending was unpredictable, which I enjoyed, but also satisfying. My favorite part of this particular book in the series was the character of Cordele. McKevett allows lessons to be learned through the invention of her characters and Cordele has much to teach to the reader.
Brenda
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the book, and the ending surprised me. Plan on reading other Savannah Reid mysteries.
Lena H.
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
This was a fun one, Savannah works with a woman who does a show on chocolate. Bittersweet ending.
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Very easy read. I read this in one day on a plane to Houston. I love the main character because she is a sassy plus sized woman! Nothing though that stimulates the mind or makes me want to change the world.
Mary Beth
Jun 04, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was the quintessential summer-time novel. Light and a quick read. Sometimes this kind of book is just the ticket.
Leigh Benton
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quick mystery read. I loved it! And it's the one of the first in a series of 15. All of them are awesome!
Chris
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
My first book by this author and it won't be my last. So refreshing to have a female PI who is not stumbling into a job that she has no training for. Clever, a fast read and just a fun time!
Corale Faltynski
Julie Trapp
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
3.5 Savannah watches Lady Eleanor make/bake delicious chocolate confections on the Gourmet Network. Eleanor has been getting death threats and hires Savannah (thru John's recommendation) as a bodyguard. When she drops dead doing a live TV show, Savannah is upset that it happened while she was on duty. When Savannah met Eleanor, she expected the person she saw on TV. NOT!!! She was rude, offensive, unkempt, and was not helpful at all in finding who wrote the threatening notes to her. Suspects abo ...more
Val
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's the least we can do for Lady Eleanor, Queen of Chocolate.
Savannah is hired by the "Queen of Chocolate" to find out who is sending her threatening letters, but no one expected her to be murdered. Savannah feels she let her client down and is determined to find the person responsible. While dealing with the investigation, Savannah has to play host to her sister Cordele (the wanna be psychologist who tells everyone what's wrong with them) who has come to talk at length about their lousy child
Mary
If you like cozy mysteries in which the mystery itself is a minor part of the book and the real story is about the characters, you’ll probably love this one. I’m giving it three stars because I don’t like that kind of mystery and so I don’t want to pick it up again and re-read it.

However, this is a good story. It’s entertaining. It’s a really good light read. The characters are believable and interesting and likable. And the story mostly works out well. I think they have a timeline problem, but
Stephanie
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Savannah and her friends are back to eat some mouth watering food and solve a murder. Things get a little sticky when one of her sisters come to town during the investigation.

I always enjoy a quick easy Savannah Reid book. I enjoy the main cast, though I find most of her siblings annoying and mostly self centered. I enjoyed this story and wish she gave recipes for all her amazing dishes she makes. The story itself was a good read and fun to figuring out the clues to see whodunnit!
Barbara
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2019-read
Just ‘devoured’ another book in Savannah Reid series. Savannah’s sister, Cordele visits. Interesting thread of parallel inter-generational stories.
The murderer in this story probably wasn’t a total surprise, and small twist probably should have been obvious, but the characters in this story were interesting.
Autumn Chastain
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really beginning to love this series....this time Savannah other sister comes to stay with her, trying to talk to her about family history while Savannah is trying to figure out who would murder the chocolate lady....
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick, easy mystery. Perfect book for summer.
Aj
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
It was a bitter-sweet story.
**Spoiler**
I'd have strangled Cordele, if I was Van.
Megan Sanders
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite book out of the series, probably because I got the murder wrong, but it was worth it visualizing Ryan in his swimwear <3 ...more
Louise King
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Savannah solves another
Diane
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it
3 - Good
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Not terrible, but not great. The story is interesting but is missing the drama and suspense of a truly good 'who done it'. I was hoping for a new author but I probably won't bother with any others in the series.
Robin
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, mystery
Sonja Massie’s Savannah Reid Mystery series, written under the pseudonym G. A. McKevett, isn’t for everyone. But if you happen to know, or be, an irreverent middle-aged foodie who enjoys wit and humor more than teeth-gritting suspense and graphic gore, there’s a good chance that the series will resonate with you. If a detective who can be tough and aggressive, yet also bubble with genuine friendliness and hospitality befitting her Georgian roots sounds appealing, check out this series. If you li ...more
Jessica
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cozy murder fans, confident women
Death by Chocolate is a book with unexpected heartstrings and tugs. McKevett's Reid sisters, Savannah and Cordele, make a lot of groundbreaking observations on how life used to be. And it's set against a hard pill of a case where justice is served in pretty sad design.

Of the Reid books, this is a favorite. The case and family dynamic on all sides really points to the right spots for people with some childhood drama and trauma. But what's better is seeing Van open up, and explain life, with even
Kat
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tabby Kat
May 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Business has been a little slow at the Moonlight Magnolia Detective Agency, but full-figured detective Savannah Reid doesn't have time to drown her sorrows in a box of double-chocolate truffles. She's too busy watching the Gourmet Network -- and drooling over the sinfully scrumptious confections that Lady Eleanor ("The Queen of Chocolate") whips up on-air.
When Savannah hears that Lady Eleanor has been getting death threats, she jumps at the chance to be her round-the-clock bodyguard. Although sh
Dharia Scarab
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it

4 sta
Teresa
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Working my way through this series, not sure where I wandered off from it. In this installment savannah is between jobs when she accepts the job of finding out who is threatening her client. Only her client is mean spirtied and has a whole closet full of family problems and secrets. She is also the star of the reality cooking show. So when she dies from an apparent heart attack, Savannah being the nosy person she is starts digging and finds out she was poisioned. The list of who did and why stre ...more
Donna
Death by Chocolate can be read and enjoyed as a light, humorous, quick read with quirky characters and a fun setting but there is actually a little more depth than I would have expected in a food themed cozy series. I picked this book up in mid series so I probably missed a bit of the back story but that will just encourage me to look for and read the earlier books in the series. ...more
Marcia
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first novel I had read in the series, and I intend to read more. The characters were sharply drawn, and the mystery of who killed Lady Eleanor is not resolved until near the end. Savannay Reid has many facets. She not only investigates the death, but also deals with her sibling who is visiting. Even though she does not particularly care for Eleanor's 3 dogs, she calls a rescue group to save them when they are sent to the pound. Savannah is a bright, caring woman. No wonder she has h ...more
Priscilla
I am really dissapointed! Loved her book 'Poisoned Tarts' in that book there was mystery, a good plot,great characters,and even a bit of light forensic descriptions..searching for fingerprints etc. Which I enjoyed as I dont read anything heavy on that topic. It was a nice change,So I had hopes that this book would be a similar mix..I was wrong. Long drawn out and not hard to guess 'who done it'..may try her later books in the series.hope this one was just a bad one..
Mansfield Public ...: Death by Chocolate Review by Nicole Potter 1 1 Aug 09, 2013 08:36AM

• A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
  • The Diva Spices It Up (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #13)
  • Too Many Women (Nero Wolfe, #12)
  • Haunted House Murder
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • Bloodline
  • Death of a Wedding Cake Baker (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #11)
  • Framed in Lace (A Needlecraft Mystery, #2)
  • Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1)
  • Madison Avenue Shoot (Murder, She Wrote, #31)
  • Bookplate Special (Booktown Mystery, #3)
  • Cutwork (A Needlecraft Mystery, #7)
  • Invitation Only Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #26)
  • A Murderous Tangle
  • Desperate Measures
  • Chapter and Hearse (Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • Chat (Joe Gunther #18)
  • A Stitch in Time (A Needlecraft Mystery, #3)
Since publication of her first novel in 1986, Sonja Massie has authored over sixty published works, including the highly popular and critically acclaimed SAVANNAH REID MYSTERIES under the pseudonym G. A. McKevett.

Sonja's novels range from Irish historicals to contemporary thrillers. Her earthy humor and fast-paced plots delight her fans, while critics applaud her offbeat characterizations and inci

A Savannah Reid Mystery (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Just Desserts (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #1)
  • Bitter Sweets (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Calories (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #3)
  • Cooked Goose (Savannah Reid, #4)
  • Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid, #5)
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • Peaches and Screams (Savannah Reid, #7)
  • Cereal Killer (Savannah Reid, #9)
  • Murder à la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10)
  • Corpse Suzette (Savannah Reid, #11)