Start by marking “Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)” as Want to Read:
Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)

Death by Chocolate

(A Savannah Reid Mystery #8)

Published December 1st 2003 by Kensington (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Death by Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Chocolate

June Ahern
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
My first read of this author and I'll be back because the characters are well developed and fun, well, mostly, some are not so nice plus the mystery got me going and I guessed wrong. So good for Ms. McKevett.
Brenda
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the book, and the ending surprised me. Plan on reading other Savannah Reid mysteries.
Katharine Coggeshall
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! McKevett is a master at weaving a suspense story with humor, intrigue, and overall entertainment. Her characters are so dimensional and well-crafted. The ending was unpredictable, which I enjoyed, but also satisfying. My favorite part of this particular book in the series was the character of Cordele. McKevett allows lessons to be learned through the invention of her characters and Cordele has much to teach to the reader.
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Very easy read. I read this in one day on a plane to Houston. I love the main character because she is a sassy plus sized woman! Nothing though that stimulates the mind or makes me want to change the world.
Leigh Benton
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quick mystery read. I loved it! And it's the one of the first in a series of 15. All of them are awesome!
Mary Beth
Jun 04, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was the quintessential summer-time novel. Light and a quick read. Sometimes this kind of book is just the ticket.
Chris
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
My first book by this author and it won't be my last. So refreshing to have a female PI who is not stumbling into a job that she has no training for. Clever, a fast read and just a fun time!
Sarah Lea Stories
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
These books are as guilty a pleasure as a box of Russell Stover's (especially if they're full of Roman nougats). Death by Chocolate was the first book I'd read in this series (I've since read three), and they've all been entertaining.

Being a lover of Southern fiction, I was a bit disappointed these were set on the West Coast. However, I think if the author added a few extra details besides the types of flowers that grow in San Carmelita, California, and what the buildings look like (such as nam
Val
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's the least we can do for Lady Eleanor, Queen of Chocolate.
Savannah is hired by the "Queen of Chocolate" to find out who is sending her threatening letters, but no one expected her to be murdered. Savannah feels she let her client down and is determined to find the person responsible. While dealing with the investigation, Savannah has to play host to her sister Cordele (the wanna be psychologist who tells everyone what's wrong with them) who has come to talk at length about their lousy child
Megan Sanders
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite book out of the series, probably because I got the murder wrong, but it was worth it visualizing Ryan in his swimwear <3
Aj
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
It was a bitter-sweet story.
**Spoiler**
I'd have strangled Cordele, if I was Van.
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick, easy mystery. Perfect book for summer.
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Not terrible, but not great. The story is interesting but is missing the drama and suspense of a truly good 'who done it'. I was hoping for a new author but I probably won't bother with any others in the series.
Robin
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, humor
Sonja Massie’s Savannah Reid Mystery series, written under the pseudonym G. A. McKevett, isn’t for everyone. But if you happen to know, or be, an irreverent middle-aged foodie who enjoys wit and humor more than teeth-gritting suspense and graphic gore, there’s a good chance that the series will resonate with you. If a detective who can be tough and aggressive, yet also bubble with genuine friendliness and hospitality befitting her Georgian roots sounds appealing, check out this series. If you li ...more
Jessica
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cozy murder fans, confident women
Death by Chocolate is a book with unexpected heartstrings and tugs. McKevett's Reid sisters, Savannah and Cordele, make a lot of groundbreaking observations on how life used to be. And it's set against a hard pill of a case where justice is served in pretty sad design.

Of the Reid books, this is a favorite. The case and family dynamic on all sides really points to the right spots for people with some childhood drama and trauma. But what's better is seeing Van open up, and explain life, with even
Kat
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tabby Kat
Business has been a little slow at the Moonlight Magnolia Detective Agency, but full-figured detective Savannah Reid doesn't have time to drown her sorrows in a box of double-chocolate truffles. She's too busy watching the Gourmet Network -- and drooling over the sinfully scrumptious confections that Lady Eleanor ("The Queen of Chocolate") whips up on-air.
When Savannah hears that Lady Eleanor has been getting death threats, she jumps at the chance to be her round-the-clock bodyguard. Although sh
Dharia Scarab
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it

4 sta
Marcia
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first novel I had read in the series, and I intend to read more. The characters were sharply drawn, and the mystery of who killed Lady Eleanor is not resolved until near the end. Savannay Reid has many facets. She not only investigates the death, but also deals with her sibling who is visiting. Even though she does not particularly care for Eleanor's 3 dogs, she calls a rescue group to save them when they are sent to the pound. Savannah is a bright, caring woman. No wonder she has h ...more
Donna
Death by Chocolate can be read and enjoyed as a light, humorous, quick read with quirky characters and a fun setting but there is actually a little more depth than I would have expected in a food themed cozy series. I picked this book up in mid series so I probably missed a bit of the back story but that will just encourage me to look for and read the earlier books in the series.
Teresa in ohio
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Working my way through this series, not sure where I wandered off from it. In this installment savannah is between jobs when she accepts the job of finding out who is threatening her client. Only her client is mean spirtied and has a whole closet full of family problems and secrets. She is also the star of the reality cooking show. So when she dies from an apparent heart attack, Savannah being the nosy person she is starts digging and finds out she was poisioned. The list of who did and why stre ...more
Kate
Apr 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books
Similar to Diane Mott Davidson's mystery series (sans recipes) as both tend toward one-note secondary characters and the denigration of any sort of healthy food. Established characters--Reid and her cohorts--may be better developed; I dove into the series with this book, so I'm not familiar with the rest.

The ending was impressive, with a subtlety you don't usually find in murder mystery series; but that just made the flat characters more aggravating.
Priscilla
I am really dissapointed! Loved her book 'Poisoned Tarts' in that book there was mystery, a good plot,great characters,and even a bit of light forensic descriptions..searching for fingerprints etc. Which I enjoyed as I dont read anything heavy on that topic. It was a nice change,So I had hopes that this book would be a similar mix..I was wrong. Long drawn out and not hard to guess 'who done it'..may try her later books in the series.hope this one was just a bad one..
Theresa Sivelle
Nov 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
I have to say I did not like this book. I think it was both the writing and the speaker. I found the characters unbelievable and unlikable. I probably couldn't have counted the number of times I rolled my eyes at the ridiculous statements, comments and dialog. It was a struggle to listen to the entire story. I ended up listening others in between.
Grey853
Aug 26, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, unfinished
I really didn't like this book. It's one of a growing genre of books about middle aged women who worry more about their weight and love life than what's going on in the story. The murder is secondary. The Savannah Reid character and all the others were unlikeable and for me that's a deal breaker. I read about half the book and quit.
Tiffany
Sep 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really liked the Private Eye in this book, she was fun, quirky and real. The plot was good, but the story a little sad. I will definitely read more by this author as she has several more with the same private eye...and I like that Savannah (the P.I.) loves chocolate too.
Mary Ann
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story. Savannah is trying to find out who wrote threatening letters to a popular tv chef, when she is murdered. She is also dealing with her youngest sister who feels she is owed something.
Mary Newcomb
Lady Eleanor (the Queen of Chocolate) feels threatened, and rightly so. Since Savannah could not protect her client, she turns her attention to finding the murderer. Between that and sorting out things with her tightly wound sister, she has a busy few days.
Cindy
May 02, 2008 rated it liked it
I would rate it 3 1/2 stars if I could. I enjoyed this murder mystery, with the likable, large, middle aged private investigator Savannah Reid. It is nice to read a mystery story that's not filled with offensive language and sex. It was a pleasant but not overly suspenseful book.
Christine
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I do love food and cooking. Savannah is on the case to find out who killed the Queen of Chocolate. A good quick read that has me guessing who did it. The characters are all so darn tootin' cute, you gotta love them.
Mansfield Public ...: Death by Chocolate Review by Nicole Potter 1 1 Aug 09, 2013 08:36AM
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #12)
  • Silent Knife (Celebration Bay, #2)
  • Sunshine and Shadow (Benni Harper, #10)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • Basil Instinct (Italian Restaurant Mystery, #2)
  • Too Many Cooks (Angie Amalfi, #2)
  • Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Stay At Home Dead (Stay At Home Dad Mystery #1)
  • First-Degree Fudge (A Fudge Shop Mystery #1)
Since publication of her first novel in 1986, Sonja Massie has authored over sixty published works, including the highly popular and critically acclaimed SAVANNAH REID MYSTERIES under the pseudonym G. A. McKevett.

Sonja's novels range from Irish historicals to contemporary thrillers. Her earthy humor and fast-paced plots delight her fans, while critics applaud her offbeat characterizations and inci

A Savannah Reid Mystery (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Just Desserts (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #1)
  • Bitter Sweets (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Calories (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #3)
  • Cooked Goose (Savannah Reid, #4)
  • Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid, #5)
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • Peaches and Screams (Savannah Reid, #7)
  • Cereal Killer (Savannah Reid, #9)
  • Murder à la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10)
  • Corpse Suzette (Savannah Reid, #11)