Start by marking “Digital Ground: Architecture, Pervasive Computing, and Environmental Knowing” as Want to Read:
Digital Ground: Architecture, Pervasive Computing, and Environmental Knowing

Digital Ground: Architecture, Pervasive Computing, and Environmental Knowing

A theory of place for interaction design.

Digital Ground is an architect's response to the design challenge posed by pervasive computing. One century into the electronic age, people have become accustomed to interacting indirectly, mediated through networks. But now as digital technology becomes invisibly embedded in everyday things, even more activities become mediated, an
Published September 23rd 2005 by Mit Press (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Digital Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digital Ground

Amber Case
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Cyborg Anthropology, User Design, Product Design, Future of Technology
Recommended to Amber by: Marianne Sweeney of Ascentium
This is a book about the new ground that is tread by those who utizilize technology in everyday life. As humans, we are generally rooted to solid ground by gravity. Enter the computer, the internet, the cell phone. Enter smart fabrics, GPS, and micro-blogging.

Suddenly, ground is something that can be transcended. Users float through space, interacting with others users thousands of miles away. The distance it takes one's ideas to travel from one point in time/space to another is decreasing thro
Karen Quinn
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Wonderful exploration from the 500-foot level of what ubicomp can be, without failing to touch on the negative as well as the hand-waving. It holds the current record as the source of most long-quotes in my tumblr. Finally humanistic, as the best books about technology should be.
Kars
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
“In the end, the design of technology cannot leave us as spectators or consumers, but must let us actively practice at something, however humble. Taking part in locale is one such activity.”

For anyone who believes design is about more than "problem-solving", the appropriate response to emerging pervasive technologies is neither neo-Luddism nor uncritical optimism and places hold values beyond that which modern economics accounts for, this is an essential read.

I found it slow-going at first, but

Mike Violano
Jul 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
If your interests span architecture and technology this is a great read. Interesting views on how technology is transforming our home/work environments, how we interact with others and thoughts about where the future may lie.
Elizabeth
Oct 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Feels very much like an expanded doctoral thesis. Still, it falls under one of my favorite categories of "how we see and embody the spaces we inhabit."
Andrew Lovett-barron
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book started me on the path of interaction design. I tell everyone to read it.
Philippe Michel