Start by marking “Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1)” as Want to Read:
Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1)

Strange Angels

(Strange Angels #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  39,283 ratings  ·  2,174 reviews
In Strange Angels, Dru Anderson has what her grandmother called “the touch.” (Comes in handy when you’re traveling from town to town with your dad, hunting ghosts, suckers, wulfen, and the occasional zombie.) Then her dad turns up dead—but still walking—and Dru knows she’s next. Even worse, she’s got two guys hungry for her affections, and they’re not about to let the fier ...more
Published May 14th 2009 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Strange Angels, please sign up.
Sadie Though this is my favorite book and series it isn't for everyone,especially for those who love and need a happy ending. I should warn you that this bo…moreThough this is my favorite book and series it isn't for everyone,especially for those who love and need a happy ending. I should warn you that this book and the rest of the series mentions things that are never explained.Many people have a love-hate relationship with this series ,I think, because the last book doesn't wrap things up like you want it to.But if those things don't bother you, you should totally read it.(less)
TheFantasizer Yes, yes, yes, and both. It's still not an awful series, just....I skipped one of the books because it was so bad...the characters started off just fi…moreYes, yes, yes, and both. It's still not an awful series, just....I skipped one of the books because it was so bad...the characters started off just fine but by the end they had withered into (spoiler) 'hot and ancient vampire, 'knew' your mom', 'hot and jealous werewolf, takes off randomly' and 'tough and sarcastic main character, destined to be conflicted between previous two boys'.(less)

·  39,283 ratings  ·  2,174 reviews

Start your review of Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1)
Kat Kennedy
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
So I have this habit that drives my family nuts. My husband just accepts it now and even does it himself because he's just so used to it. I ALWAYS put the subtitles on when I'm watching a movie. It's not because I have a hearing problem or anything. But sometimes important words are muffled, or they're odd words that I understand if I see written but wouldn't understand if they've only been spoken. Sometimes the background noise is too loud to hear what people are saying or maybe I'm just really ...more
Vero
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cover:

Book:
First chapters...

After a few pages...

description

At the middle of the book...

description

Second part of the book...

description

1 hour after finishing the book...

Main Characters:
Dru

Christophe

Graves

description

OVERALL:

description
Lucy
Dru Anderson's life is deeply entangled with the paranormal. She's got a bit of the 'touch' from her father's side of the family, which amounts to a sixth sense for supernatural creatures and a little bit of something extra from her mom's side of the family as well. She uses these gifts as her father's helper in hunting and killing supernatural creatures that prey on humans.

Dru is also pushing a midlife crisis even though she is technically written as a teenage girl. She called every human bein
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Nov 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
Strange Angels really grabbed me because it sounded like Supernatural (the show) - a girl and her father out to hunt evil beings of the night. Unfortunately, what resulted instead was nothing like Supernatural but more aligned with the Buffy vibe, only with a whole lot of other creatures of the night.

While there's no doubt that this book is written quite well, I quite a few gripes with the book that prevented me from enjoying it too much.

1. A bunch of teenagers who keep calling each other 'kid
Montzalee Wittmann
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Strange Angels
(Strange Angels #1)
by Lili St. Crow
Wow! This book has a chokehold on me and would not let me beathe! Fast paced, insanely good world building, believable characters, dialogue between characters often sprinkled with humor and tears, heart pounding suspense, situations no sane person should ever have to be in, and I loved all anxiety induced moments!
Our gal and her dad are hunters, but they don't hunt what the Real world knows about. They hunt the nightmares. But dad doesn't come hom
Rebecca McNutt
I'm not really much of a romance reader but Strange Angels is much more than that. A captivating story including everything from ghosts to magic, it follows the life of a hunter of sorts, Dru, who lives a life of travel with her father. It's not for everyone; while most people her age are busy worrying about grades, she worries about survival and the supernatural. When things turn dire and she winds up alone, things begin to take an even stranger turn! Sometimes the story felt oddly paced and so ...more
Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)

Goodreads Summary

Then her dad turns up dead—but still walking—and Dru knows she’s next. Even worse, she’s got two guys hungry for her affections, and they’re not about to let the fiercely independent Dru go it alone. Will Dru discover just how special she really is before coming face-to-fan
Aj the Ravenous Reader
This is the first book I've read about vampires. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did enjoy reading it perhaps because it is not solely about the steroetypical sort of vampires or called in this book as "suckers". The concept of half vampire and half human and other classifications of vampires sort of intrigued me.
Kim
Feb 27, 2010 rated it liked it
TBR Reduce Challenge #3- 2011 (Lora)

Hmmm, not bad. Not bad at all.

Not the best book I've read in the past few years, but it was enough to keep me interested. One of my friends here asked me if it reminded me of Supernatural (the show) and it really did. The mom getting killed, the absentee dad hunting things that go bump in the night and a kid that grows up knowing there is a whole other world out there.

But it felt kinda weird because Graves has been living on his own since he was 12 or somethin
Mariel
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Prayers for rain
Recommended to Mariel by: Fascination street
I wanted this to be something other than it was. What I really wanted was Supernatural the show but with a teen girl. Dru grew up hunting the big bad thing in the dark. Her dad allowed her to be put into those situations but in a half-hearted way. Care, one way or the other (I'd prefer the scary way). The revenge angle was watered down. Dru's motives were boring old inherited. Dru summed up: I'm gonna do what I wanna so buzzzz off. It could have been girl versus un-nature. Struggle with more tha ...more
Thomas
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
To surmise my thoughts on this book, this series has serious potential. It was sort of like a mix between Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Twilight and City of Bones. While the book itself was a slow start to hopefully something even better, by the end of the book I was heavily anticipating the next novel, Betrayals.

The book is about Dru, whose father is a hunter of sorts - except he hunts otherworldly beings in the Real World. Dru is pretty confident about her living situation until a zombie infilt
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
One of the more enjoyable YA paranormals I've read lately. The heroine has been trained for this her whole life, but holy shit she is a normal teenager (besides being knowledgeable of the paranormal world and stuff, ya know?). Her dad is killed, and so what if she's had training and they've been on the move for years? She's a kid, she's frightened out of her mind, emotional, and unsure of what to do next. Her friend Graves is a good sidekick. He's got flaws, but he's not a complete asshole, nor ...more
Anushka
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Anushka by: Mishma Nixon

Phew. It’s over. It’s finally over!
God, this book was SO boring. It was really slow paced and really trite. I had a hard time keeping my eyelids open.

In addition to being such a drag, it also had a very dull setting and a thin plot. As if that wasn’t enough, our heroine was a no-nonsense, extremely serious person whose idea of fun was blowing up stuff and both the male sidekicks were annoying the hell out of me.

The writing was fairly good but the character description was not. There wasn’t eno
Maggie ☘
“Better to be strong than pretty and useless.”

This was pretty good!

Going into this book, I expected nothing more than a disappointment, so it was a great surprise that Strange Angels turned out as a promising first book of paranormal series. Here's hoping the sequels gets way better.

Of course this book had some faults, since it deserved around two stars from me, but overall after finishing this book in two days, I have to say, even with the imperfections, I pretty much enjoyed it while read
Kristi
Jan 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked this one, fast paced, action packed, paranormal page turner, er... urban fantasy.

The story was interesting. Dad and daughter engaged in a battle with all things that go bump in the night. This was something new for me. Not sure I understood why her Dad would put himself in harms way, when he is her only living family member, but I guess that just adds to the story.

Initially Dru annoyed me, I don't know exactly what it was but by the end of the story she'd grown on me. Graves on the othe
Melissa  Paranormally Romanced
Sep 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
Okay so I read the first couple of chapters when I was first started reading Vampire Academy because it was on the last pages as a promo. I read them and I remember I didn’t want to keep reading. So I decided never to be interested in that book. Now there was two particular blogs that I follow and that shall remain nameless that Raved about this book. They said it was almost as good as vampire academy and it has to be read because it’s so good. SO I thought maybe I misjudged the book. So when I ...more
Bry
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Really 3.5 stars. (Can't wait for half ratings!)

I thought Ilona Andrews Kate Daniel's series dropped you in the middle of world with the assumption you would figure it out from all her little clues and tidbits as you went along. But St. Crow wins that race with this book. From the beginning to the end you are kept in the dark as to the true realities of Dru's world - what's real, what's myth, what's truth, what's lies.

Normally with a first book in the series a comment would have to be made abou
Megan
Recently I have quit so many UF novels that I was beginning to think that perhaps I don’t really like the genre after all. Then Strange Angels came along. This book didn’t blow me away or bring anything new to the UF or YA genres. But it was an incredibly fast paced, enjoyable read. Lilith Saintcrow has obviously been influenced by many current authors, but you are able to see their effect on her without any blatant stealing on her part (I’m looking at you Cassandra Clare!) And I’ve got to admit ...more
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Why do people who didn't watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer just assume that people who did were all about the werewolves and other monsters? That is not why Buffy has such a big fan base...most of us liked the human elements, the real-ness of the show, the characters.
So when someone told me I would like this book b/c I liked Buffy, well, humpf. Ugh...bad characters, stupid plot, and WHYYYY do people feel the need to re-spell words in their own mythology? Werewulf? please. This book was so annyoing.
Penny
Dec 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of YA Fantasy/Paranorma/Adventure
Recommended to Penny by: Reviewer X
Quick (-ish) story: This book first came to my attention soon after it was released. I was at Borders trying to decide between three books, Strange Angels among those selections. I read the first few pages of each book in an attempt to narrow things down. Based on the prologue and the first few pages of the first chapter, Strange Angels was removed from consideration.

Why had I been so quick to eliminate this book from the running? Although the prologue pulled me in from the first sentence it wa
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Strange Angels inhabits the same world as "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and Wicked Lovely (and a host of others). Dru (short for ?? - we never learn exactly) is special, seeing and hearing things in the Real World that the rest of us cannot see or hear. She and her father move a lot - so often that Dru doesn't always unpack when they get to a new home.

The only school class we see includes a very nasty teacher (and Dru's telling the teacher off is one of those "I wish I'd said that to my witch-teac
Kim
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Strange Angels is a fun start to a series that will appeal to any fan of Cassandra Clare or Scott Westerfeld . . . or the movie Underworld, which it more closely resembles. St. Crow delivers a tightly-written, fast-paced, novel full of paranormal action that exceeds the expectations set by the blurb on the back. I went in expecting the usual vampire/shifter/girl love triangle. And I got something so much better.

Despite the vampires, werewolves, zombies, etc. that inhabit St. Crow's world, at the
Genie
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Strange Angels was a book that was hard for me to get interested in. The issue with the story is that some things are so over described that alot of times I just wanted to rip my hair out!! Then to the other extreme it felt as if I had missed something and I was flipping back to see why I was outta the loop. I guess for some it could be enjoyable I however am not really interested to read another one.

I will be updating this review soon!!
Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist)
Holy Twilight regurgitation, Batman. Even with the hot yummy smelling vampy boy and wolfish best friend, it didn't get going until almost mid book. I often find Crow's writing annoyingly moody, but dang it if her action scenes aren't killer = ). I'm going to hang in there and hope now that the foundations laid bk 2 will impress.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

A decent book with strong characters that unfortunately gets bogged down for nearly 2/3rds of the book with Dru flailing around, not sure of what to do. Although this is good, I don't see myself checking out the rest of the series because A) there are virtually no other women (and certainly no positive female role models) in this book, B) females, once again, are cut out of being supernaturals unless they are REALLY REALLY special (the next book, Dru is the ONLY FEMALE at the schoo
Alex
Jul 21, 2009 rated it liked it
For me, Strange Angels didn't really work. It sounds really good, it has a good plot, strong characters and all, but then... nothing.

I didn't feel any real connections at all in Strange Angels. The relationships between the characters didn't feel real enough. Even some of the character traits didn't match up to the character. For example, Dru is supposedly an artist who's really good at drawing. Um, what? It's mentioned a couple times that Dru sketches and can draw really well, but it felt disjo
Vinaya
Jan 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Dru Anderson has the touch, her family is all dead, and she's caught in the middle of something she doesn't understand. Her life, never normal to begin with, has now turned upside down, and the only rock in her world is a half-Asian Goth Boy she met a few days ago. This is the opening premise for Lilith Saintcrow (writing as Lili St. Crow)'s young adult series, Strange Angels.

Dru Anderson is not as annoying as most YA heroines these days. She has a personality, she doesn't fade into the backgrou
Chelsea
Nov 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Chelsea by: A friend
It's been awhile since I read this book, but I hated it so much that I have to review it.

This book was a major disappoinment. I wanted to read the book so bad because the plot sounded similar to my favorite tv show Supernatural, a show the originally started out centered around two hunter brothers that had lost their mother to a demon but later evolved to include angels and demons. The show is fantastic, unlike this book. The annoying thing is, the book has MAJOR potential to be amazing and if o
Anne
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it
3.5 almost 4 stars. I would have given it 4 stars, but there wasn't enough action, and it dragged just a little bit in spots. I'm looking forward to the next book, though. It has a solid story line, and some very well drawn characters.
Katie(babs)
May 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Dru Anderson and her father move from place to place ever since Dru’s grandmother died. Dru’s father is a hunter. He goes out at night and kills supernatural beings such as poltergeists, werewulfs and vampires, or as Dru likes to call them, suckers. He has been doing this since Dru’s mother passed away when she was a little girl. Dru is not really sure what happened to her mother because her father and grandmother kept her in the dark about her mother. Sometimes Dru is her father’s backup. She i ...more

• Intertwined (Intertwined, #1)
  • Boys that Bite (Blood Coven Vampire, #1)
  • Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1)
  • The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1)
  • Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1)
  • My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles, #1)
  • The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)
  • My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)
  • Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1; Nightshade World, #4)
  • Lenobia's Vow (House of Night Novellas, #2)
  • Vampire Kisses (Vampire Kisses, #1)
  • 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1)
  • Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1)
  • Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1)
  • Neferet's Curse (House of Night Novellas, #3)
  • Marked (House of Night, #1)
  • The Throne of the Five Winds (Hostage of Empire, #1)
Lili St. Crow was born in New Mexico, bounced around the world as an Air Force brat, and fell in love with writing when she was ten years old. She lives in Vancouver, Washington, in a house full of stray cats and children.

Lili St. Crow also writes as Lilith Saintcrow.

Strange Angels (5 books)
  • Betrayals (Strange Angels, #2)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)
  • Reckoning (Strange Angels, #5)

News & Interviews