Start by marking “The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes, #5)

The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline

(Enola Holmes #5)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  2,806 Ratings  ·  296 Reviews
Other than her occasional run-ins with her brother Sherlock, and missing her mother, Enola has little friends and family. While kind, homely Mrs Tupper is nearly deaf and cannot cook to save her life, the landlady is her nearest and dearest - and kidnapped. And somehow Florence Nightingale is involved. Enola is on the case.
Published May 14th 2009 by Philomel Books (first published February 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Ann
May 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Audio version - narrated by the incredible Katherine Kellgren!!!

In this, the fifth installment in the Enola Holmes mystery series, Enola must help solve a mystery entangling her dear old landlady, Mrs. Tuppper. And the start of the mystery dates all the way back, some several decades prior, to a secret message that the Mrs. Tupper was supposedly meant to be carrier for. But poor Mrs. Tupper doesn't seem to know/recall a single thing about it - but there are those who assume otherwise..
Michael
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
The penultimate book in the series tones it down a bit, cutting back on the swinging from the roof fittings and other Errol Flynn style shenanigans. Instead Enola relies on her usual considerable talent for disguise, sketch making, cryptology and of course her endless supply of pluck.
In her hunt to recover her kidnapped landlady she is forced to consult Florence Nightingale, which, teachers take note, means the Crimean War is a part of the story. This series is fun for kids and if the spark of i
Giselle Bradley
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series just gets better and better. Florence Nightingale calling Mycroft Holmes a misogynist is probably the best thing I've ever read in my life.
Ellen
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This Enola Holmes mystery brings Enola's landlady, Mrs. Tupper, to life. Instead of just a deaf old lady who cooks cheap but creative meals, she becomes a real person with a history of a husband who died young, a miscarried baby, a sense of style, and memories of being nursed by Florence Nightingale during the Crimean War. In this book, Florence herself explains to Sherlock why his misguided desire to put his sister into a boarding school is incentive enough to keep Enola on the run from him. He ...more
⋟Kimari⋞
If you liked this book, you might also enjoy:

Flavia de Luce series
Sally Lockhart series
Susan
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, audio
I thought this story started out on the slow side but it quickly turned into an exciting adventure for Enola. Once again she managed to solve a mystery ahead of her clever brothers, butting heads in the process.

For the most part, I'm really enjoying this series!
Josiphine/Tessa
One of my favorites in this series (maybe second favorite after PPF?) I really like the relationship between Mrs. Tupper and Enola. Florence Nightingale is in this one!
C.J. Milbrandt
A mystery comes close to home when Enola's landlady receives a confusing (and threatening) message. Lamps and lords. Past fashions and fashionable ladies. Missing persons and Mayfair. And Sherlock Holmes, of course.

The fifth in a series that's become quite a favorite. I would have had more pleasure in unraveling Springer's subtle hints if the editors hadn't revealed too much in the summary. (Whyyy!?) This particular addition to the series was more interesting for its history than its mystery. S
Vanessa
I learned about Morse code and so much more about Nurse Florence Nightingale. I want to learn more about her. What a great way to hide a message in the sewing of a piece of clothing.
Terri M.
I was pleasantly surprised by The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline by Nancy Springer. I took a chance and downloaded it via the SYNC audiobook program this past summer. I seem to be game for new takes on known franchises. I didn't even realize that this novel was a part of a series!

I guess that's a good a place to start as any! You need not to have read/listened to any of the preceding novels to understand what is happening in The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline. Enough information is given, when nee
Stephanie
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This, the fifth in the Enola Holmes series, has Enola tracking down her beloved landlady, deaf-as-a-post Mrs. Tupper. One day, after arriving home from her job as Dr. Ragostin's secretary, Enola is asked by Mrs. Tupper to help figure out a message that is sent to her regarding "information from the Bird". Mrs. Tupper has no idea what this is in reference too and is a bit frightened at the underlying threat if the "information" is not forthcoming. And with good reason, for the very next day, Mrs. ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
I've been wanting to read the Enola Holmes Mysteries for quite a while now, so when I saw the audiobook of the The Cryptic Crinoline was made available for free through YA Sync I downloaded it immediately.

Enola Holmes is 14 years old, and that means she is 20 years younger than her brother Sherlock and 27 years younger than Mycroft. After her mother went missing, Enola's famous brothers have attempted to send her to boarding school, but in order to avoid this she went into hiding in London, and
Eshusdaughter
Ahh Enola, I am so happy to have another book featuring Sherlock Holme's quirky younger sister. The Enola Holmes books are far from perfect but the characters are so engaging it's hard not to love them. This is another fun addition to the series. Once again Enola must solve a mystery, this one involving her sweet, old and very deaf land-lady. The plot jumps around a bit and I am forced to marvel at the idiocy of villians in Enola's world yet again. The historical facts about Florence Nightingale ...more
Wealhtheow
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: victorian, ya
On her fourteenth birthday, Enola Holmes (youngest sibling of Mycroft and Sherlock) woke to find that her mother had left in the night, leaving behind only a series of cryptic clues. To avoid being sent to boarding school, Enola flees her brothers' care and heads to London, where she alternately looks for her mother and solves mysteries. She is adept at interviewing witnesses, constructing disguises, and cryptography, yet she is still just fourteen. When her deaf old landlady (who has filled a m ...more
Vannessa Anderson
We shadow Enola Holmes in her search of her kidnapped landlady, Mrs. Tupper.

Mrs. Tupper receives a note telling her to turnover a message concerning the Bird, or else. Mrs. Tupper haven’t a clue what is being asked of her, after all, the kidnappers are referring to something that happened thirty-five years ago.

Enola follows the scant bird trail left by the kidnappers and enters a web of controversy.

To discover the whereabouts of Mrs. Tupper, Enola must solve a thirty-five year old mystery while
Garett
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I chose this series because I thought it would be something that I could share with my 10 year-old, and I was correct. In the 5th book of this series Enola Holmes investigates the disappearance of her elderly landlady. Enola is the teenage sister of Sherlock Holmes and is living out on her own in hiding from him, and searching for her mother. If I had started at book one, I might know why. :) The story is somewhat predictable, but has an entertaining plot. The author's descriptive voice does pai ...more
BookSweetie
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
#5 in the Enola Holmes Mystery Series

This is an addictive series starring the resourceful and astonishing 14 year old sister of Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock does appear in the story, but the limelight belongs to Enola.

The writing is stellar; the setting richly Victorian (London) and the characters intriguing -- including Florence Nightingale who is reclusive, but influential.

The codes that Enola encounters are key to the plot. I refuse to say anymore -- except flowers as codes are cleverly dispat
Miss Clark
Feb 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Barbara
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm enjoying this series more and more. There's development of Sherlock's awareness of his mother's and sister's fears and needs. Enola's longing for her mother and her growing attachment to Mrs. Tupper show her tender heart is as strong as her intellect. Springer gives us a satifying mystery. I wonder how long until the next title arrives?
Karen ⊰✿
Book number five and we get some character development of Mrs Tupper, meet Florence Nightingale and get a hint of a possible truce on the horizon with Sherlock.
Unfortunately I found this book the weakest of the series. The mystery was a bit humdrum... But because of the points above I still enjoyed it.
Bekah
A very interesting case, but I felt it was a bit too short and therefore rushed. I would have liked more intrigue, more clues, more twists. I did however enjoy the incorporation of a historical figure into the mix. Not one of my favorites of the series, but by no means a bad story. It will be hard to surpass the shock and tension of Bizarre Bouquets.
Gwennie
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, mystery
I enjoyed every title in the Enola Holmes series and this newest offering is no exception. The best part? My daughter is reading them now as well, and loving them. Intriguing puzzles, adventures, danger, and an intelligent, resourceful heroine. Plus, yet another dimension for those of us who enjoy different views of Sherlock Holmes.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Continuing the adventures of Enola Holmes, the free-spirited, hard headed sister of the infamous Sherlock Holmes. See how she fairs in the 5th book of the Enola Holmes mystery. For a spoiler free review, please look at the first book in the series, "The Case of the Missing Marquess."
Amy
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: re-read-in-2018
Sometimes an author throws historical characters into her series and it just feels awkward. However, I don't think that is the case here. Nancy Springer does a lovely job introducing historical characters like Florence Nightingale without bogging down the story.
Tiffany
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
This is my favorite of all of them so far. I didn't read the prologue though because I am faint of heart!
Heather
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Brilliant as usual. I love Enola Holmes and her view of Victorian England. It feels so authentic.
Betsy
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One Sentence Review: Only the fact that it's in a series kept me from reviewing this book in what is currently my favorite mystery series of the moment.
Heidi
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this is a GREAT series!
Josephine
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
This one has been my favorite in the series so far. It brings Florence Nightingale into the picture and tells a bit about the Crimean war. It was very interesting and also action packed.
Rachel
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
This series just keeps getting better as the main character evolves. A nice quick read!
  • Torn from Troy (Odyssey of a Slave #1)
  • Death in the Air (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes/Book 2
  • Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop (Gilda Joyce, #4)
  • Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)
  • Death Cloud (Young Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Body at the Tower (The Agency, #2)
  • The Unmapped Sea (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #5)
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • The Midnight Tunnel (Suzanna Snow, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)
  • Den of Thieves (Cat Royal, #3)
  • A Letter of Mary (Mary Russell, #3)
  • The Case That Time Forgot (The Sherlock Files #3)

BIO -- NANCY SPRINGER

Nancy Springer has passed the fifty-book milestone, having written that many novels for adults, young adults and children, in genres including mythic fantasy, contemporary fiction, magical realism, horror, and mystery -- although she did not realize she wrote mystery until she won the Edgar Allan Poe Award from the Mystery Writers of America two years in succession. DARK LIE

Enola Holmes (6 books)
  • The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes, #1)
  • The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes, #2)
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes, #3)
  • The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes, #4)
  • The Case of the Gypsy Good-Bye (Enola Holmes, #6)
“All the words I had prepared turned coward and fled my mind like conscripts deserting a battlefield.” 9 likes