Start by marking “The Mystery of the Great Swamp” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Great Swamp

The Mystery of the Great Swamp

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Jeb had grown up near the Okefenokee Swamp. He had known it from babyhood. And it had never held fear for him until the day he and his dog Mac were driven from a lake they had just discovered by a strange and eerie sound.
Published December 1971 by Scholastic Book Services (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Great Swamp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Great Swamp

Gwen Haaland
I am referring to the 1967 version of "The Mystery of the Great Swamp" set in the great okefenokee swamp. An intriguing story involving an adventurous boy in the Okefenokee Swamp who discovers a few survivors of a lost tribe of native Americans hidden in a remote corner of the water jungle.
I loved this book so much when I was a child. I even read it to my own children when they were old enough to appreciate it.
Joey
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked this mystery when I was like ten or something. It was well written and very intriguing. It's about a boy who has lived in the Florida swamp area with his family the entirety of his life. While exploring on his raft/boat on the water one day he discovers a secret waterway in which he explores and finds the last of an Indian tribe and all the fascinating ruins of the formerly great tribe. A good read, especially for children and early teens.
John
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as an impressionable youngster many years ago and the Okefenokee became one of my obsessions. I finally spent several days camping in the swamp this past winter and it was everything I imagined. This book is a decent read for an older kids book, and it holds a special place in my head.
Julie
Jun 24, 2009 rated it liked it
This young man grows up knowing the swamps. Upon discovering an unknown waterway, he goes to explore it and ends up fleeing from an unknown sound. His fear of the unknown causes him to make some poor choices but he seeks to find the answers...and does that turn his fear to understanding.

There are so many fears in life that only last until we come to understanding.
Charles