Start by marking “The Rise of the Creative Class: And How It's Transforming Work, Leisure, Community, and Everyday Life” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  2,395 Ratings  ·  175 Reviews
Sociology, Economics
Published December 25th 2003 by Basic Books (first published January 28th 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Rise of the Creative Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rise of the Creative Class

Andrew
Oh, Richard Florida. So close and yet so far. I think his heart is in the right place, but, as a member of Florida's vaunted "creative class," I must kindly tell him his theory is fucked. And here's why:

--It's written from an unbelievably myopic, elite perspective. Much like Thomas Friedman, Florida seems utterly incapable of seeing the world beyond the veil of privilege that protects him and his fellow business gurus from the real world.

--Everything is bolstered by spurious quantitative methods
Juli
Jun 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: haveread
This book changed my expectations from and about community and society. If there are enough freaks, there won't be a need to conform - and oh MY! There are certainly enough freaks to go around.
Seriously, I think the creative class is coming hot on the heels of the industrialized society - I only hope I live long enough to see it really affect the deep south.
Michael
Jun 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Having been present in a "creative" field for the last 4 years, this book offered nothing new in terms of insight, but was nonetheless an excellent collection of ideas put forward in an enthusiastic and progressive form. There are flaws, as there often are with books written primarily for a business audience but from a (more or less) sociological perspective. A comment from another reader review is both correct and completely irrelevant:

"total lack of understanding of the human effects of global
Diane
Oct 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: trends, business, educators
As an educator, this book was the third I have read of a similar vein - starting with the World is Flat, then Pink's A Whole New Mind, and now - The Rise of the Creative Class.

I read the newer version with the updated stats - that raised Denver's place in the Creative strata. The Creative Economy is a definite topic of discussion in our state, how to grab it, use it, and feed it. I think about that as a K-12 educator - how do we keep in step with the trends so that we can fulfill the expectation
Alex
Jun 10, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: avoid, capitalism
good god. richard florida presents the case that a new "creative class" is emerging in the u.s., which is going to usher in a new era of prosperity and creativity.

total lack of understanding of the human effects of globalization, almost entirely from an elite privileged perspective, almost completely worthless.
Jimt43
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book is an example (and there are many) of someone who had an idea good enough for an HBR article (as Florida did write as I recall) but no where near enough info and interesting ideas to produce a 400+ page epistle. I stopped long ago at page 225 and have just decided to give up on ever finishing it. Hint, read his HBR article and you will have everything you need to know.
s
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i liked what one reviewer said--"if only they didn't simply corroborate the well-established idea that the "creative class" is simply a gentrification tool, rather than a sound investment and long-term backbone of a civic identity."

the book is fantastic--although the data is soft if using it purely for academic purposes. however, it only goes to show that the "creative class" is a "class" and as such will work in powerful and cutthroat ways.

on a side note--i read this book several years ago and
Liz
Apr 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban-studies
yeah, it was pretty bad. it was not as bad as it could've been -- it makes some critiques of precarity which I honestly wasn't expecting -- but ultimately it's a fairly nauseating celebration of the blending of bohemian aesthetics and bourgeois lifestyles. also LOL at the idea that a job in "high-end sales" is a "core creative industry". the creative class *is* the old professional class. there's no change there except in people's ideas of cool, which now arguably have a greater focus on the app ...more
Peter
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
pretty horrifying. at its best it presents interesting statistics about the work and lifestyle habits of a radically changing work force. but rarely does it ever analyze the consequences or meaning of these figures. it describes the factors of gentrification without really recognizing the fruits of the “creative class” as anything but a productive foece
Stephanie W
The basic thesis of the book is that diverse, tolerant, creative urban centers attract people of the same disposition. It is those people who are the driving force of the economy and their desired lifestyle dictates their choice of city and ultimately their choice of occupation. Their lives are no longer dictated by their jobs like in the days of the Organization Man in the Grey Flannel Suit.

At the beginning of the book, I found myself agreeing with Florida's every word. Yet as the book progres
Andrea
Jul 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
For those of us caught unawares, let it be known that the Working Class is dead. As a socio-political force, anyway. As is the Bourgeoisie. The Creative Class is what has risen to take its place and Richard Florida's 'Rise of the Creative Class' documents how it did so, how its impacted cities and towns across the nation, and how your city should adjust if it hopes to have a chance of catching on. The Creative Class is represented by cities like New York and Chicago, of course, but also Seattle ...more
Ahmed Abdelhamid
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
I might not have enjoyed some of the analysis of “shifts” in the book, but, indeed it changed my personal view and made me conscious of many economic changes, life style shifts, cities growth or decay, clustering the contemporary community and talent management issues. Given all these numeric facts in the book, about the technology, talent and tolerance in various cities it was very pleasant and a true added value (to me).

2008
كتب تعليقا مطولا بالعربية هنا:
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An interesting argument pursued around the idea of creativity being just as important as technology and tolerance as a key driver of regional growth. Fatalistic about globalisation leading to manufacturing production jobs going offshore and emphasis is on creating a creative class to attract advanced manufacturing. Potentially overlooks therefore the paradox of periphery regions in former Eastern bloc regions with authoritarian traditions.
farmwifetwo
Jul 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
I finally gave up about 120 pgs in. I then flipped through the rest, read a bit here and there.

There's a few stories about people. A few quotes from other authors. There's the same "stuff" repeated over and over again. A few charts but no real format, thesis or point to be made.

Not what I was anticipating or interested in reading.
Janet
Jul 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Didn't actually read the whole thing, but was impressed and intrigued by a chapter on my hometown Pittsburgh and its inability to rise above its industrial culture and attitudes. I see that, always have, and could never put my finger on why Pittsburgh just never felt like the kind of place I wanted to live as a free adult. Of course I still love and long for it...
Alina Peussa
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I agree with most of his ideas.
Tracy
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carnegie Mellon University professor, Richard Florida provides an astute and extensively researched explanation of the massive cultural shifts in U.S. society over the last 30 years that have caused an entirely new social class to develop: the Creative Class. Numbering close to 40 million people, the creative class consists of workers whose intellectual energy is primarily applied to innovation, problem solving, and development of new products or services. A creative class member is distinguishe ...more
Jo-Ann
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found a great deal in this volume to be fascinated by - especially how the author details the rising separation between the economically dominant Creative Class and the Working and Service Classes. It explains more clearly to me what factors in the United States have given the election of Donald Trump. He also outlines the elements that explain the backlash and anger of those who feel forgotten. While Prof. Florida in many cases remains optimistic, I came away from this read feeling a sense of ...more
TarasProkopyuk
Если попытаться сформулировать суть книги "Креативный класс"одним предложением, то оно звучит примерно как то так. Эта книга о том почему определенные города по всему миру имеют свойство становиться некой Меккой и притягивать к себе массы и толпы людей творческих специальностей, в которых расширяются и первые и созидают последние.

Одним из ярчайших примеров таких явлений это массовая мировая миграция IT специалистов, программистов, дизайнеров, предпринимателей и им подобным людям творческих профе
Tim Maurer
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
How, you may ask, can I rate a book that I was unable to finish as four stars? Well, the message was clear--it just wasn't concise (but that's not necessarily the book's fault). What I didn't realize before I started into this book is that it's really more like a textbook, laden with loads (and loads and loads) of research.

A few chapters in, I was convinced that there is, indeed, a "creative class," that it's far more expansive than people think (entrepreneurs and business leaders, for example,
Elaine
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I was able to get most of the gist of this book from an hour long Presentation from Richard Florida on YouTube. There is also a 2012 revised edition if you are looking for current statistics. Dr. Florida is a professor, so this book is very academic focused but still very interesting to read. I read it hoping to learn more about job trends and what the current and especially the future of work will likely look like. In that respect it was only partially effective. Florida provides a list of citi ...more
Barbara Anne Thomas
This book offered valuable information to me as an emerging artist. The explanation on how the US economy has shifted since the financial crisis of 2008 helped me to understand and navigate the job market. Richard Florida clearly did extensive research, and refutes counter-arguments made against him in a strong and intelligent way. One critique was that the book was very lengthy and over-written so I ended up skimming over some chapters.
Karen Briscoe
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is sure to be a classic! As someone whose career and life was focused on left brain activity, flexing the right brain muscles do not come naturally to me. Now in the second half of life, I am finding value in putting energy, time and resources into creative pursuits. Society I believe benefits from both. Karen Briscoe, author "Success in 5 Minutes a Day".
Marcus Meredith
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am now reading the second re-working of this text to bring the data more up to date. I suggest you skip this version and head to the newest version now available...
Alice Lemon
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-planning
Interesting, and worth a read because of its classic status, but I found the book's understanding of economics and class issues quite lacking.
Helynne
May 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If a visitor from 1900 were plopped into the year 1950 and a visitor from 1950 had the chance to move forward into 2000, who would be the most shocked at the new society he/she would experience? It’s tempting to say the person from 1900 would be the most bowled over because of 1950 technology—cars, airplanes, films, TV, etc., However, author Richard Florida maintains that the 1950 visitor to 2000 would be even more surprised at the “deeper, more persuasive transformations” of the turn-of-the-21 ...more
Kate
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This a book about economy that does not lament over today's changing values, and does not agonize over a hypothetical future. Instead, Richard Florida seeks to analyze the pieces that make up our present-day system in a fact-based, yet compassionate way. That is reason number one why his work appeals to me.

The second reason is that I strongly identify myself with his construct of the "creative worker", and in this way he includes me as an essential part of the larger system. Although this is the
Jeffrey
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Pretty fascinating. I tried reading this book about a year ago, but it never stuck. This time I was pretty into it. I'd say that working at a small internet startup company helps a lot. There are certain things in the book that are right on point. Richard Florida described a lot of the things I've been experiencing at work to the fuckin letter. It doesn't change any of the miscommunication I experience at work, but at least the book defines it. It's nice to know that these trends are nationwide, ...more
Kirsten
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People engaged in creative jobs, people intrested in changing economics
I thought this book was really interesting. It laid out a coherent argument for all of the things that I had vaguely been hearing complaints about from the older generations about the workplace and how things are changing.
As a potential member of the creative workforce, it was interesting for me to see the changing trends, and I am appreciative of the fact that they're changing to be more like how things are at universities, because I work well in those settings, better than I do in the traditi
Liam
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Creativity involves the ability to synthesize. Einstein captured it nicely when he called his own work 'combinatory play.' It is a matter of sifting through data, perceptions and materials to come up with combinations that are new and useful. A creative synthesis is useful in such varied ways as producing a practical device, or a theory or insight that can be applied to solve a problem, or a work of art that can be appreciated. Creativity requires self-assurance and the ability to take risks." ...more
Flood Repair in Naples Florida 1 1 Sep 11, 2017 04:19AM
  • The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America is Tearing Us Apart
  • The Age of Unreason
  • The Creative Economy: How People Make Money From Ideas
  • The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us about Innovation
  • The Experience Economy: Work is Theatre & Every Business a Stage
  • Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide
  • What's Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • American Steel
  • The Great Good Place: Cafes, Coffee Shops, Bookstores, Bars, Hair Salons, and Other Hangouts at the Heart of a Community
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World
  • The Republic of Tea: The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of Its Founders
  • A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World
  • Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
Richard Florida (born 1957 in Newark, New Jersey) is an American urban studies theorist.
Richard Florida's focus is on social and economic theory. He is currently a professor and head of the Martin Prosperity Institute at the Rotman School of Management, at the University of Toronto. He also heads a private consulting firm, the Creative Class Group.
Prof. Florida received a PhD from Columbia Univers

• The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99
“The creative individual is no longer viewed as an iconoclast. He—or she—is the new mainstream.” 2 likes
“It's not that gays and diversity equal high technology. But if your culture is not such that it can accept difference, and uniqueness and oddity and eccentricity, you will not get high tech industry.” 2 likes