Start by marking “Stealing Home” as Want to Read:
Stealing Home

Stealing Home (Baseball Novels)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
It’s 1905 and the Chicago Cubs are banking on superstar Donald “Duke†Dennison’s golden arm to help them win the pennant. Only one thing stands between Duke and an unprecedented ten thousand dollar contract: alcohol.

That’s when sportswriter David Voyant whisks Duke to the one-horse town of Picksville, Missouri, so he can sober up in anonymity. He bides his time f
Published April 14th 2009 by Multnomah (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Stealing Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing Home

Ruth
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Picksville, Missouri, is a small town intent on unchanging and steeped in tradition until a whirlwind arrives, shaking up the status quo and forcing the townspeople to re-examine their tightly held beliefs and prejudices. That whirlwind is Duke Dennison, a star baseball player forced into rehab for alcoholism, and staying sober in Picksville is Duke's last hope of salvaging a career damaged beyond recognition by his reliance on drink. The charismatic baseball player's presence in her father's ho ...more
Liz
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love how this is really a story about community and bonding together in hard times. It appears to be a baseball book, but it's for fans of baseball and those who aren't too. I do love this book.

Also, my friend is the cover model, and she's gorgeous! Yay! :)
Kelly_Instalove
Grade: A+

“Don’t worry. This is baseball. There’s always a second chance.”

My full review is really long, so here's a few highlights. Actually more than a few, because I highlighted approximately half the book.

In summary: Allison Pittman knows her history and her baseball, and she understands the elusive art of "show, don't tell." And her handling of the faith messages absolutely BLEW ME AWAY.

The set-up

Picksville, Missouri – March 1905:

Dave was sending her a man. And he was coming on the two-o
Tina
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It really took me by surprise because it is such a creative idea to use baseball as the backdrop of the story. The characters in Stealing Home are well-drawn and the plot will grip readers as they are carried along on a story of romance and intrigue. Readers will love this book. It is a keeper.
Kelly
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a gorgeous book that will keep you thinking about the characters long after you've closed the book. Keep a box of tissues close by!
Janet Merrell
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, this was such a good book. The way the author wrote the book without chapters, but instead, divided sections that described a baseball game was so clever. I loved each main character and though they were all different, the interwoven story was wonderful. I don't consider myself a baseball fan at all, so don't let that deter you from giving this a try. Beautiful story.
Brent M
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Found enjoyable.
Denise Y.
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
My review posted on www.DeniseYMontgomery.com on March 31, 2011: "Somebody told me today should be declared a national holiday. That somebody is a professional baseball player, and, even though I’m not, I agree with his assertion. Opening Day for Major League Baseball is certainly cause to celebrate. Baseball, from backyard play to the big leagues, ideally represents: individual play and teamwork, developed skill and athleticism, dedication and passion.

If you are obsessed with baseball, or even
Christy Lockstein
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing

Stealing Home by Allison Pittman is a stunner of a historical novel. Ellie Jane Voyant has lived her life in 1905 Picksville, Mississippi as an eccentric outcast. Ned Clovis has loved her since he was 12 years old, but his life of silence since he lost his hearing has made him an outcast as well. Morris, a 12 year old Negro boy has a life very different in Picksville from Ned and Ellie, but he's trying to make something of himself, with a future and an education. Their lives are all irrevocably
Brent Soderstrum
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love God and baseball. Pittman puts both together in this fun story of a small town in Missouri in 1905 that is hosting a player, Don "Duke" Dennington who is rehabbing from alcohol problems he had when playing catcher for the Chicago Cubs. He is off the juice and is living in the house of the sheriff and his daughter Ellie Jane. Duke gets the town working on building a baseball field and playing baseball games on a daily basis. One of the men who helps Duke is Ned Clovis who has always had a ...more
Dundee Library
I loved this book! This is my second book by Allison Pittman and she is fast becoming a favorite!
This story takes place in the early 1900’s, in a dusty Missouri town where everyone knows each other, and superstitions run deep. “Duke” Dennison, the Chicago Cubs’ star batter, arrives on the scene, but he’s there to lay low and stay sober, not draw excitement. However, Duke isn’t used to sitting on the side lines. Before long, the whole town gets involved in baseball, but not everyone may make it s
Catherine Richmond
When the 1905 Chicago Cubs sent their superstar Duke Dennison to Picksville, Missouri, to dry out, the whole town went crazy for baseball. Railroad ticket agent Ellie Jane abandoned her post to work the scoreboard, and ended up flirting with feed store owner, Ned. Twelve-year-old Morris snuck out of church and showed the town his worth. But it's Duke who does the most changing.

This is not your grandmother's CBA. Some of the characters in this story are Adventist - a welcome change from the days
Kati
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a really nice story -- each of the four main characters were very interesting and well thought out. The book is divided up into parts and in each part there are 4 chapters ... one for each of the main characters, giving the reader the story in different perspectives, but all connected and related. What I read was an Advance Reader's Copy ... I hope when they publish the final book they use a little bit larger font for Morris' chapters. What they used in the ARC edition was a bit small t ...more
Christin
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was a LOT better than I anticipated...I sort of expected fluff but instead I got a great commentary on the injustice of racism. I don't even like sports and I cared a great deal about the story! The author managed to balance the book well so it was still enjoyable and not like other novels where you HAVE to keep reading, but it is so heavy it's more like work!
Loraine Nunley
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read, particularly with it being written from the point of view of four different people. While it took me some time to get used to it, I was able to get to know each person better than I would have if the story was told differently. I did not like how the book ended but the story was well written.
Acarrawa
Jun 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very haunting story. The characters will remain with me for a long time. More than any of Pittman's other books that I've read, this one shows her talent as an author. I appreciated her skill as much as the plot.
Laura Eckert
May 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
I didn't care for this one. Not a baseball fan and didn't like the four different voices. Didn't finish it.
Allison
Allison Pittman's stirring story-telling continues to move me.
Martha Valasek
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked the historical aspect of the story and the Morris character. I know an author can imagine a story how they'd see it, but the ending was sad for me.
Ladette
Salena
Aug 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 01, 2015 12:58PM
  • Too Rich for a Bride (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #2)
  • A Flickering Light (Portraits of the Heart, #1)
  • Saints in Limbo
  • Sons of Thunder (Brothers in Arms Collection (Summerside Press))
  • A Memory Between Us (Wings of Glory, #2)
  • Yesterday's Promise (East of the Sun, #2)
  • Deep Harbor
  • A Passion Denied (Daughters of Boston, #3)
  • Miriam (Treasures of the Nile, #2)
  • A Matter of Character (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #3)
  • The Golden Cross (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #2)
  • Mine Is the Night (Here Burns My Candle, #2)
  • Wings of Promise (Alaskan Skies, #2)
  • The Veil
  • Never the Bride
Allison Pittman is the author of For Time and Eternity, Stealing Home, the Crossroads of Grace series, and her nonfiction debut, Saturdays With Stella. A high-school English teacher, she serves as director of the theater arts group at her church. She is also the co-president of a dynamic Christian writers group in the San Antonio, Texas area, where she makes her home with her husband and their thr ...more
More about Allison Pittman...

Baseball Novels (2 books)
  • The Bridegrooms