Start by marking “Battle Strategies (Learn to Play Go, #4)” as Want to Read:
Battle Strategies (Learn to Play Go, #4)

Battle Strategies

(Learn to Play Go #4)

Learn to play Go - the elegant game that has enthralled millions of people around the world for millennia. In Volume 4 of this award-winning series, professional Go player Janice Kim 3 dan teaches you the essential principles and techniques involved with Go fighting that will raise your level of play - from invasions, reductions, running battles, and contact fights, to lif ...more
Published September 1st 1997 by Good Move Pr

To ask other readers questions about Battle Strategies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle Strategies

Start your review of Battle Strategies (Learn to Play Go, #4)
David
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lower kyu ranks but not total beginners
Shelves: non-fiction, go, gaming
The fourth volume in Kim and Hyun's Learn to Play Go series, aimed at lower kyu rank players, was much more helpful than volume three. There are many diagrams of realistic play situations, no longer the simple and obvious ones of previous volumes, but still simple enough for a lower-ranking player like me to grasp. We are not yet into the esoterica of advanced go, or dan-level problems. Most of the problems were challenging for me, but not over my head.

Battle Strategies is a basic tutorial in in
Evan
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, go
This book covers quite a bit of material which, not surprisingly, was difficult to readily absorb and immediately transfer onto the playing board. I think the last three volumes in this series will be reference books to which the reader refers back rather than novels which are read, digested, and not picked up again. Additionally, the material would undoubtedly be interpreted differently by the same reader after they've played X number of games and gained experience. I'll read the last book just ...more
Adrian Alvarez
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was so ready for this book in the series. Finally, very practical topics such as invasion and reduction, running battles, and capturing races. I can't say I absorbed every nuance of the chapters on ko fighting and killing shapes but the foundations are well laid - I'm essentially ready to drill tsumego until throw ins and pins and vital points are second nature. A theory book can only do so much.

I highly recommend this series and the game of Go. It is quickly becoming one of the most fascinat
Daniel
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I like the test at the end but I think the overall strategy is more difficult to read than tsumego type problems (of which there are an abundance) so the more valuable tests would have been more battle strategies. All in all, I feel the battle strategies chamber should be longer since its the hardest to find resources on. Furthermore, it's also the title of the book.
Jiří Oukropec
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Skvělá série knih pro začínající hráče královské hry GO
Valentyn Danylchuk
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: go, non-fiction, baduk
Another nice incremental update. Getting more advanced, staying accessible.
Sebastian
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very nice volume, improvement over the previous one.

After a great start to this series, I was somewhat disappointed with volume 3 since I thought it lacked substance. That flaw is completely corrected here. The authors provide us with a manual packed with valuable information for conducting our battles. The material is still at a beginners level, but it will probably be useful even for some single digit kyu players (at least those below 5-7 kyu).

Before jumping into the tactical section of this b
Towerwood
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This 4th part of Janice Kim's series "Learn to play Go" is clearly a level higher than the previous volumes. It discusses the middle game in part I, and Life and Death problems in part II. The good news is that it contains a lot of useful knowledge. The bad news is that this knowledge is not easily converted to skill. The reason is that Kim presents about 50 different battle strategies, some of them closely related, but most of them not so related (at least so it seems). The book does not contai ...more
Alan
Jun 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I am not a strong go player, but I have read a lot of beginner and elementary go books, and the Learn to Play Go series is my favorite. I have not seen another elementary go book which is clearer and easier to understand. Nothing else comes close in conveying the necessary concepts of go and illustrating them at a beginner's level, it's as simple as that. Especially helpful is the very copious use of diagrams. You're never asked to dissect half a game of numbered stones at a glance, rather, Jani ...more
Damon
Jan 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-on-go
The fourth volumn of Janice Kim's series on learning Go, covers attack and defence, creating life for a group of stones, killing a group, and basic middle game stratagies and manouvers. However, the middle game is the most chaotic time of the game and it is very difficult to explain clearly many of the concepts needed to play a good middle game. So where Janice is strong in explaining basic concepts, she is weaker at explaining the complex.
Serge Pierro
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: go
While the third book in the series was a bit of a disappointment, (when compared to the first two volumes) Kim returns to her original form with the fourth volume. This one concentrates on the middle game - covering various attacking and defensive concepts. Topics include invasion, reduction, making groups live, Ko fights, etc.

Lots of good information for a beginner looking to learn how to attack. Worth reading more than once!
Andrew
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Janice Kim returns to the form of the second book, with plenty of tips on fighting in Go. There are some repeats, but she goes into greater depth here, choosing where to cut, how to count liberties inside of eyes, how to choose between reduction and invasion, and so on.

At this stage the advice provided here isn't able to give me the massive improvements of book two, but it's still welcome.
William Herbst
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
The problems and board situations in this book were more than a bit beyond my ability to solve in many instances. After the first two volumes the complexity of the oars situations in this series seems to have ramped up exponentially.
Onda
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: games
Excellent book covering wide range of topics. Lot's of examples on how this-or-that technique might come up as a variation. Read, play or be a wanker!
Nak
Thomas Kim
Feb 27, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Opening Theory Made Easy
  • In the Beginning  (Elementary Go Series, #1)
  • River Mountain Go Vol. 1: 30 kyu to 20 kyu
  • Emperor and Clown (A Man of His Word, #4)
  • Promise of Blood (Powder Mage, #1)
  • Perilous Seas (A Man of His Word, #3)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • Duncton Wood (Duncton Chronicles, #1)
  • The Rise of Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #4)
  • The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3)
  • The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, #1)
  • The Conquest of Gaul
  • Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #3)
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • Roman Blood (Roma Sub Rosa, #1)
  • The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #2)
  • The Clan of the Cave Bear
  • Allgemeinbildung: Das muss man wissen

Learn to Play Go (5 books)
  • Learn to Play Go: A Master's Guide to the Ultimate Game (Learn to Play Go, #1)
  • The Way of the Moving Horse (Learn to Play Go, #2)
  • The Dragon Style (Learn to Play Go, #3)
  • The Palace of Memory (Learn to Play Go, #5)

News & Interviews