Start by marking “Sin City, Vol. 2: A Dame to Kill For (Sin City, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sin City, Vol. 2: A Dame to Kill For (Sin City, #2)

Sin City, Vol. 2: A Dame to Kill For

(Sin City #2)

The second volume of Frank Miller's signature series is now planned as the lead story in the upcoming Sin City 2! This newly redesigned edition sports a new cover by Miller - some of his first comics art in years! Stuck with nothing but a seedy gumshoe job and some demons, Dwight's thinking of all the ways he's screwed up and what he'd give for one clear chance to wipe the ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 208 pages
Published November 2nd 2010 by Dark Horse (first published November 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Sin City, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sin City, Vol. 2

Start your review of Sin City, Vol. 2: A Dame to Kill For (Sin City, #2)
Matthew
The second volume of Sin City continues the the same vein as the first. Dark violence and blood shed. Sexual deviance and twisted characters. Deception and corruption. I could go on and on . . .

My thoughts on this volume are a bit different simply because the first volume and first movie have many similarities - and I have seen the first movie several times. While the second volume is supposed to be the same story as was depicted in the second movie, I have not seen it yet. Therefore, I had no
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, comics

Ava.
You got me good, Babe. Just when I was pulling it back together you come along and rip my heart out one more time. Only this time you crossed a final, fatal line. You tricked me into doing something there's no coming back from. You've damned my soul to hell.

dame

In the first Sin City album, bruiser Marv got into a war with society over the killing of his one night stand. This time, scandal photographer and freelance investigator Dwight puts his own neck in the noose over an old flame of his.
Luís C.
Difficult not to start my criticism by the masterful graphic work done here by Frank Miller. The black and white is worked here to the extreme and offers an absolutely haunting dark atmosphere that hampers the reader from the first boards. The details are neat, the work on the fabulous light, the game of contrasts of the most interesting. One comes to wonder about what to look at each vignette: black is the drawing or is it white?
The characters stand out, between shadows and light. Their
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I thought it would be fun in anticipation for the new Sin City movie A Dame to kill for to read the comic that the movie is based upon. I loved the first movie (Actually bought it today and will try to re-watch it again soon) and I hope that the sequel will be just as good.

Anyway the story in Sin City: A Dame to kill for is quite simple: Dwight is working as a photographer taking pictures of men having affairs with women. He gets contacted after a job by his old flame Ava Lord and she is the
Sam Quixote
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to give a summary of the story without making it sound cheesy and stereotypical with far too much macho action, because the book, and series even, is all of those things but manages to be so much better than all of that. A sleazy photographer takes pictures of an extra-marital affair with which he plans to blackmail the man with - this is our hero. Then the noir element kicks in - the femme fatale enters the bar in a haze of smoke and shadows. She's in trouble, and the photographer ...more
Carmen
Aug 31, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carmen by: Book Store
WARNING: MILD SPOILERS. STRONG LANGUAGE.

I don't like Dwight. And that's unfortunate, seeing as he's the main character. He looks down on other people. I also don't like the way he treats Marv or the way he talks about Marv. He also makes incredibly stupid decisions.

This book is actually a great portrait and portrayal of addiction. Dwight is an addict. He has completely given up alcohol, drugs, and killing. Because he thinks he's a monster. He's sure that any little thing... speeding, having a
Jonathan

Not quite as good as the first one, but still damn good.

André
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this second volume, Frank Miller presents us with another tale from Sin City. "A Dame to kill" centres around a love story, but, Sin city style: Betrayal, faithlessness, adultery, lies, street violence, gangs of prostitutes, and strippers are the main components for this black and white (or white and black) tale.

The story starts with Dwight McCarthy, (one of the main characters of Miller's universe) who reunites with Ava Green, a woman who broke Dwight's heart four years ago by running off
James DeSantis
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Man I think more woman in this series are portrayed as prostitutes than not lol.

So this is about a new guy in the sin city universe called Dwight and he, just like Marv, aren't very good people. However, when a old lover comes to visit Dwight telling him terrible things are happening to her he decides to help her despite knowing better. IN doing so the twist and turns the characters make ends up in a bloody hell of a time.

Good: I enjoyed Dwight as a character, foolish but not completely dumb.
Mizuki
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like Sin City: A Dame To Kill For the comic with its killer artwork, the gloomy smokey crime-noir atmosphere, the style, the character design, the no-nonsense dialogues. So I checked out the movie trailer for the movie adaptation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvAvE...

But......damn...what the hell had I just watched!? The soundtrack is TERRIBLE, the visual is quite DULL comparing with Sin City 1, even with Eva Green as the beautiful, seductive femme fatale, this movie still looks kind
Stuart
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Sin City, Vol. 2: A Dame to Kill For: The ultimate femme fatale
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
Frank Miller’s SIN CITY series is famous for its hard-boiled crime noir stories, characters and black-and-white artwork. In the second volume, A Dame To Kill For , Miller gleefully tackles that most classic of noir tropes, the seductive and deadly femme fatale. Ava is her name, and when she beckons, men cannot resist. Our lead this time is Dwight McCarthy, a photographer who is trying to live a
Dave
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you have seen the Sin City movie, then you have a pretty good idea of what A Dame to Kill For is all about. It's based very closely on the story told here. The Sin City books are known for their stark black and white illustrations, the well-developed plot-lines, and the swagger of noir. This one explores the idea of a femme fatale, Ava.
Dimitra
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing piece of art!
To be honest, I almost don't care about the story. I just LOVE the artwork!
Stunning and haunting!!!
abatage
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It seems that Sin City is populated by noir stereotypes. All the men are plagued with aggression and will do anything for a dame, while all the women are calculating and trade sex for favours. With this in mind, I like to think that everyone who reads these books can have a laugh and consider how hyper-real Sin City actually is - the notion that the clear male/female dichotomy is something to be learned, might be a frightening one.

However, when viewed as the stylised hyper-reality that it is,
Marissa
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix, crime
The Sin City movie is literally the only film in the huge mass of comic book movies that have been made lately that is an improvement on the graphic novels. I enjoy Frank Miller's signature art style, all the black drips and angles, but his writing is just terrible. Lines that were charmingly campy and over-the-top in the movie, are juvenile and awkward in print.
Joseph Inzirillo
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dwight has an interesting story. I like how Miller overlaps this with Marv. Little scenes here and there that show the back story of the big guy. Miller's noir storytelling is amazing.
Katherine
This chapter was a glorious manifesto of manipulation, sacrifice, sex and violence.

Eva is pure evil - I dont think she even has a soul. Like a siren she draws men in and then controls them like toys. They will steal, lie, cheat, kill and die for her even though they know they mean nothing to her. The contrast between the purity the name "Eva" symbolizes and the malice of her as a character was brilliant.

I loved watching the main character struggle with him self in his quest for inner freedom.
Andy
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: storyboard
Shelves: comix-novel
Frank Miller may be the ultimate storyboard artist. His comics are stark black and white sketches with little dialogue involved. The plot is laid out like a basic outline and there’s nothing wrong with that, but by no means does he deserve the genius tag some people give him.
“A Dame To Kill For” is a pretty cool drink of noir erotica, but it’s pretty stark stuff and not too deep. Not bad, but nothing that’ll frighten the horses..
Dan
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was just like the movie....so beautiful, so intense and so good. Frank Miller is the man.
Julio Bonilla
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If a woman wants something, she will manipulate men to get what she wants. Love corrupts men! This sequel is definitely better than the original, not to mention, reminiscent of my late teenage years of going back to a strip club. Fresh air is the cure! Wu Xia
Alex
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-indies
I was, for some reason, half-expecting vol. 2 not to have the spark of the first story. Marv was a joy to read as a badass character and I knew he will bring him back in "A Dame to Kill For". Still he did in a subtle way, trying not to rub in our faces that he was the reason Sin City came back for seconds.

True to his effort, Miller gave a whole different build-up which added to the Sin City Mythos (I was too eager to read again about Old Town, Miho, Gail and Dwight) and intertwined nicely with
Rob McMonigal
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The end of my review for Volume 1 was "It's great stuff, I hope the rest is even close to being this good." Fortunately, I was not a bit disappointed.

This time around, we follow Dwight, a man who had a great fall and has tried to live a better life, albeit one that still deals in the smut and dirty-dealing of life in Sin City and its environs. When a woman from his past comes back with one hell of a sob story, will he stay strong? Or fall right back into the abyss he thought he'd managed to
Celine
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Summary: Dwight holds a tight control over his inner monster - he doesn't drink, plays by the rules and stays out of trouble. But then Ava comes back into his life, a woman that broke his heart. When she tells him she's in danger, his control starts to slip.

What I liked:
- There were some nice twists in the story that I didn't see coming
- The art sometimes has a kind of cut-out quality that looks pretty awesome; though everything is done in black and white there is still plenty of detailing
- A
Lindsay
Jun 28, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: graphic novel lovers, Frank Miller fans, film noir fans
Shelves: graphic-novels
The story is convoluted and ridiculous, and all of the female characters are prostitutes or otherwise loose women. Can Frank Miller give us one fully clothed woman? How about one woman who isn't a nymphomaniac? Or one woman who isn't evil?
I think Frank Miller hates women. Hate may be too strong a word here; he has issues with women. I can't relate to any of the characters - male or female - in his work.
Cyndi
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Revenge is revealing, painful and thoroughly satisfying.
Katarina (dancing_books)
Not better then the first volume, but I loved the twists and that Marv is in this one, too.
Hannah Garden
May 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This one is just like my life. Cats, sandwiches, murder, treachery . . . the bathtub . . . yeah. I can really identify.
Tundextra
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Dwight is a wounded man staying low, making money taking secret lewd photo shoots for divorce attorneys vis his obese 'partner' and agent. Dwight has only two problems drink and women, so he avoids them like the plague... that is until he finds his heartbreaker and betrayer of an Ex, laying naked in his flat? You have entered Sin City. Dwight might need some backup.

Miller's neo-noir reality takes a hardcore look a the female of the species, albeit a black widow. There's some sublime crossovers
Jeff Mauch
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again, the star of this graphic novel is in artwork by Frank Miller. Sure, the storyline is pretty good too, lots of violence and sexual trickery, but it’s truly the art that shines through. The more work of Frank Miller’s that I come across the more I enjoy him, he is truly a one of a kind artist that has changed comics and graphic novels for the better. I especially like the somewhat retro grittiness of the Sin City works, such as this one. Using bold black and white really makes the ...more
Chaitra
Pains me to give it this rating, but Dwight and Ava are just not interesting. If Dwight was going to be a sucker, he deserved whatever he got. I didn't care one bit for his internal monologue and I didn't get Ava's appeal, even with the barely there stuff she wore when she was wearing anything at all. So yeah, miss.

(The artwork is stunning, but I was so annoyed with everything around it.)

• Watchmen
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5)
  • A Game of You (The Sandman, #5)
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2
  • Superman: Brainiac
  • Preacher, Volume 5: Dixie Fried
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1
  • Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the

Sin City (7 books)
  • Sin City, Vol. 1: The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1)
  • Sin City, Vol. 3: The Big Fat Kill (Sin City, #3)
  • Sin City, Vol. 4: That Yellow Bastard (Sin City, #4)
  • Sin City, Vol. 5: Family Values (Sin City, #5)
  • Sin City, Vol. 6: Booze, Broads, and Bullets (Sin City, #6)
  • Sin City, Vol. 7: Hell and Back (Sin City, #7)
“Most people think Marv is crazy, but I don't believe that.
I'm no shrink and I'm not saying I've got Marv all figured out or anything, but "crazy" just doesn't explain him. Not to me. Sometimes I think he's retarded, a big, brutal kid who never learned the ground rules about how people are supposed to act around each other. But that doesn't have the right ring to it either. No, it's more like there's nothing wrong with Marv, nothing at all--except that he had the rotten luck of being born at the wrong time in history. He'd have been okay if he'd been born a couple of thousand years ago. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield, swinging an ax into somebody's face. Or in a roman arena, taking a sword to other gladiators like him.
They'd have tossed him girls like Nancy, back then.”
13 likes
“Nancy's got a guardian angel. Seven feet plus of muscle and mayhem that goes by the name of Marv.” 12 likes