Start by marking “I, Robot” as Want to Read:

I, Robot

(Robot #0.1)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  268,157 ratings  ·  6,452 reviews
The three laws of Robotics:
1) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm
2) A robot must obey orders givein to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

With these three, s
Published 2004 (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about I, Robot, please sign up.
Jitka Egressy definetely yes. It's short - so don't worry.
Canavan They can be read separately without losing much, but it’s better to read them sequentially since later stories often reference both characters and eve…moreThey can be read separately without losing much, but it’s better to read them sequentially since later stories often reference both characters and events found in the earlier ones.(less)

·  268,157 ratings  ·  6,452 reviews

Start your review of I, Robot
Lisa
A Brief History Of Robo Sapiens In Nine Sequences

“Why … WHY does something invariably go wrong with them?”
“Because”, said Powell somberly, “we are accursed. Let’s go!”

Asimov’s collection of short stories is a stunning document of humanity’s struggle to find balance in a world increasingly dominated by technological progress, but with the same social, political and emotional conflicts as always.

At first glance, the different stories seem to show the growing sophistication of robots, and their
Ahmad Sharabiani
539. I, Robot (Robot #0.1), Isaac Asimov

I, Robot is a fix up of science fiction short stories or essays by American writer Isaac Asimov. The stories originally appeared in the American magazines Super Science Stories and Astounding Science Fiction between 1940 and 1950 and were then compiled into a book for stand-alone publication by Gnome Press in 1950.

I, Robot is about a robot's confession. Some weeks earlier, its builder, Dr. Charles Link, built it in the basement. Link teaches his robot to
İntellecta
The book consists of futuristic robot short stories recounted by Susan Calvin (robot psychologist) in retrospect. Even though the reader could read the short stories quite well, they unfortunately don´t created tension at all. On the one hand, the writing style seems a little bit outdated and on the other hand I don´t like the lack of composition of the topic. Or maybe I had even a false expectation.
Kevin
Jul 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Thinkers
Shelves: scifi
Isaac Asimov's books were far from the normal trash novels you might buy for a 2 day read. Within anything he has written, he tries to spell out lessons in psychology.

How would we react to Robots once they become free thinkers?

How should we react to Robots when they become our slaves?

Should we institute a whole new brand of slavery for the purpose of a "clean society"?

What is sentient life?

The I, Robot novel progresses through these questions, and questions like them, in scenarios rarely ever po
Matthew
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Law
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

Until I started reading this book, I did not know it is a series of short stories. I have always expected this to be a novel with one main story. There is some connection between the stories as they represent the evolution of robot use throughout the life of one of the top robotics experts, Susan Calvin.

Second Law
Evgeny
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This short story anthology has a lot of stories in common with Robot Visions which I read earlier. In fact there are only two ones in the former absent in the latter: Catch That Rabbit and Escape! I rated Robot Visions with 3 stars; this one is surprisingly (even to myself) rated higher. One of the reasons is that Visions included several essays; all of them aged much more than the stores themselves - and the stories did age.

Another reason is related to the structure of I, Robot. It actually ha
Sidharth Vardhan
"If one and a half chickens lay one and a half eggs in one and a half days, how many eggs will nine chickens lays in nine days?"

This is incredible, the best of all science fiction I have read yet. As Fredrick Pohl put it:

“A good science fiction story should be able to predict not the automobile but the traffic jam.”

Asimov not only does that - and he goes one step further, he proposes a solution for the metaphorical traffic jam - in this case, ethical issues related to AI, in form of his
Paul Bryant
Unredacted transcript of the meeting between Dr Susan Calvin, Head Psychologist, United States Robots, and Dr Peter Bogert, Managing Director, United States Robots obtained by Wikileaks from undisclosed sources.

Date: 9-5-2025 11:15 EST

BOGERT : The reason I asked to see you today, Dr Calvin, is that my office has a disturbing rumour that you have developed a robot to write book reviews.

CALVIN : Well, that is correct. They have been functioning for some time.

BOGERT : I am surprised - surely revi
Merphy Napier

I LOVED this book so much. I honestly just want more of this. This concept was brilliant and the different situations and solutions that this author created were incredible. I'm so excited to read more from this author
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(3.75?)
I thought this book would be similar to the movie but... no, not at all (or barely!).
There are 9 short stories told and, although I enjoy all of them, I much preferred the last couple ones.
Melki
Though I do love Asimov's writing, he was most certainly a product of his times. (Translate - horrifically sexist.) The one female character who is in nearly all these stories is Dr. Susan Calvin. Practically every time she shows up, the author felt it necessary to comment on her appearance. When young, she was "plain." As she ages, she becomes "plain" and "middle-aged." The male characters looks are not commented on other than the mention that one is bald, and one has red hair. And though there ...more
Ivana Books Are Magic
About a week ago, I stayed up until 4 a.m to read this book. IT WAS SO WORTH IT! When you are a teenager and you read your way into the morning, you know it is a good book. When you are an adult who doesn't function well with a few hours of sleep and you still do that, then you know it is a great book. Fair enough? Or is it just me? I found it easier to function with less sleep when I was younger. Not that I feel old. YET.

I, Robot is written as a serious of stories featuring a group of individua
Brooke
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, science-fiction
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this, and I ended up being pleasantly surprised. It's a series of short stories revolving around Susan Calvin, a robopsychologist with the company U.S. Robots. The stories show the progression of robots (from ones that can't even talk to the machines that govern how the planet operates) and the relationship humans have with them.

I really enjoyed the overall arc and how it was presented. I also really dug how most of the stories were puzzles abo
Ken
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of short stories with the common theme of Asimov’s Three Laws of Robotics are presented within the framing device as Chief Robopsychologist Dr. Calvin recounts her life’s work.

Like any collection I found some stories to be strong than others with Robbie and Reason to be my two favourites.

With all the stories featuring originally in Sci-Fi magazines during the 1940’s, I felt it was quite telling that the stronger tales were the earlier ones written.
Annie
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, read-in-2015

There is a method to the madness!

The other day when my spiffing new copy of the Foundation series arrived on my doorstep, faithfully delivered by the only Amazon delivery guy in our part of the town and I had to turn to them to have my fix of the written word ever since the only bookstore in the town was closed down (or rather was converted into a boutique), my dear friend, who is by the way one of those guys who has their rooms covered in comic graffiti and a bat signal alarm clock that he is s

Patrick
What a fabulous book! Isaac Asimov is an awesome scientist and writer. I’ve watched a few interviews and he is a very smart man. If only we had more like him in the world. I don’t agree with his views on God, but other than that, I would definitely have driven anywhere in the USA for a book-signing event of his.

I, Robot is my first Asimov book and I'm glad I started here. The book talks about many points when it comes to robots, or just technology in general. It opens with a girl who is attache
Sr3yas
❝ Science fiction writers foresee the inevitable, and although problems and catastrophes may be inevitable, solutions are not.❞
------------- Isaac Asimov--------------

This collection of concept-driven stories featuring robots were some of the first stories written by Science fiction god, Isaac Asimov. These stories also introduce the "Three laws of robotics" which became a milestone in science fiction history.

Pure logic based problem-solving and the genuine awe-inspiring imagination; Tha
Evan
In 1989 I drove to Indianapolis to meet Eric, a collector of rare films, ostensibly to see his 16-millimeter print of the elusive 1926 W.C. Fields movie, So's Your Old Man, of which he claimed there were only a half dozen extant copies. We also screened prints of the Lon Chaney Sr. silent, He Who Gets Slapped and the silent German mountain film classic, The White Hell of Pitz Palu, both of which, at the time, were very difficult to see but which have since been issued on DVD. For good measure, h ...more
Jim
This is the original "I, Robot" (not the movie of the same name) is excellent & absolutely a classic. It set the tone & often the ground rules for almost every artificial intelligence novel since it was written. The three laws of robotics first appeared in these stories. There are quite a few stories from humorous to touching to scary. Asimov had a pretty good idea that artificial intelligence was similar to fire - a dangerous servant. He proves it in these pages.

This paperback version strings t
Manny
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Asimov gives you quite a good idea of what's it like to have to debug an artificial intelligence, before there were any. Applause! The movie, however, is an abomination that should have been strangled at birth. They've made Susan Calvin sexy; you see her suggestively outlined through the semi-opaque glass of her shower cubicle.

I can't continue with this review. I'm starting to get too emotional. Sorry. A few things are still sacred, you know?
_____________________________________

PS My real I, Ro
Alex
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who dress their RealDolls up for tea parties
Shelves: 2016
Isaac Asimov is less a writer of books than a puzzle creator. Each of the linked short stories in I, Robot poses a problem, like an SAT logic problem, and works its way to a (usually) clever answer. Foundation, his most famous work, is the same thing. Asimov has less in common with the other Big Three mid-20th century science fiction writers than he does with Encyclopedia Brown.

But this is the book that invented the Three Laws of Robotics, which are so famous that basically no one has ever talke
Caroline
***NO SPOILERS***

(Full disclosure: Book abandoned on page 86 [out of 273 pages].)
Under other circumstances, it might have been a beautiful sight. The stream of high-speed electrons impinging upon the energy beam fluoresced into ultraspicules of intense light. The beam stretched out into shrinking nothingness, a-glitter with dancing, shining motes.
Unfortunately, this is how I, Robot goes (at least up until page 86). Asimov’s vision is an inventive and interesting one, but it isn’t geared to the e
Mimi
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3½ stars, rounded up for the scope of Asimov's AI

Interesting ideas and conception of robotics conveyed in a series of short stories. I could read about Asimov's robotics all day. His scope of cultural changes (ie revolution), however, is lacking in comparison. The year 2007 in the book does not seem like actual 2007 at all, same goes for 2015, and same for 2035 I'd imagine. The cultural climate feels more like the 1950s with the addition of accelerated scientific advancement than the world we're
Julie
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Exceeded my expectations.
Marianna Neal
7 out of 10

I'm no sure why I wasn't aware this isn't a continuous narrative, but rather a collection of semi-connected short stories, so if you're like me - now you know. This wasn't an issue, I actually really like sci-fi short stories, but I just didn't love all of them. For a few of them I really liked the idea they were addressing, but the execution left me pretty cold. A few I actually really loved. And of course, the speculation revolving around Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics" is interes
Jan-Maat
Classic set of short stories in which Asimov establishes his three laws of robotics which govern the behaviour of his robots and then plays with the idea. Still entertaining.

The scope is far ranging - space colonisation, artificial intelligence, faster than light travel, one world government and resistance to the same (and to artificial intelligence which provides a kind of ultimate technocratic authority) relationships (in every story) between people and robots, particularly if there are or are
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Note: I'm reviewing each short story as I listen to it.

1. Robbie - ★★★★★
description
Robbie depicts the strong bond between an eight years old girl and her non-speaking robot. Naturally, it is a strong one, and the mother tries desperately to break it.
The ending is a bit surprising, but expected.
Denisse
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Perfect. We don't have a lot of sci-fi classics that are both deep and page turner, but Asimov does the fiction so incredibly great making the science so interesting and easy to read. I, robot has a lot of psicology regarding men and technology, and specially this days, it is so disturbing understand the fact that Asimov wasn't playing fun. We are becoming codependent to machines. A perfect read for anyone who wants to read a classic of the genre.

¡TE AMO ROBBIE! (por si estaban con el pendiente
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars
Smarti
Mar 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 1001-books
This rarely happens to me: I just could not finish this book. I found it unbearable and about half-way through I really did not care about how these stories would continue. In my opinion, it is incredibly poorly written and frankly, I found these robot stories dull and boring content-wise as well. I read that this is supposed to be one of the classics of sci-fi. I don't have a lot of experience with that genre but if this book is supposed to be one of the best, I doubt the genre is for me.
I'll n
Downloading list of Amazon ebooks purchased 1 2 May 09, 2020 01:38PM
Play Book Tag: [Poll Ballot] I, Robot by Isaac Asimov 4 stars 7 15 May 02, 2020 11:20AM
Tampa Nerd Night ...: I, Robot – April 2018 1 3 May 01, 2020 07:23PM
Club de Lectura: La humanización de los robots 1 4 Mar 18, 2020 08:43PM
Club de Lectura: * Expectativas 4 5 Feb 06, 2020 06:43AM

• 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • The Time Machine
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Martian Chronicles
  • Starship Troopers
  • Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1)
  • Childhood's End
  • Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
  • The War of the Worlds
  • The Martian
  • Fahrenheit 451
  • Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1)
  • Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)
  • Fundación e imperio (Solaris ficción nº 100)

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine o

Robot (4 books)
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot #1)
  • The Naked Sun (Robot, #2)
  • The Robots of Dawn (Robot, #3)
  • Robots and Empire (Robot, #4)

Articles featuring this book

“It is the obvious which is so difficult to see most of the time. People say 'It's as plain as the nose on your face.' But how much of the nose on your face can you see, unless someone holds a mirror up to you?” 533 likes
“The Three Laws of Robotics:

1: A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm;

2: A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law;

3: A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law;

The Zeroth Law: A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.”
174 likes