Start by marking “My Sister's Keeper” as Want to Read:
My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  1,056,745 ratings  ·  33,484 reviews
Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenge ...more
Published 2005 by Allen & Unwin (first published April 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about My Sister's Keeper, please sign up.
Cassandra Kavanagh It was without exception the worst book I have ever read; contrived, manipulative, formulaic, irritating and obvious. The plot was as simple and borin…moreIt was without exception the worst book I have ever read; contrived, manipulative, formulaic, irritating and obvious. The plot was as simple and boring as a child's dot to dot. I saw the ending coming a mile away.I read it in the vain hope I would learn why it was so popular but all I learned is that I expect way more from a novel than the people who enjoyed this soap opera styled pap. The tawdry sideline stories were infuriating . It was like being force-fed one of those awful made for T.V disaster movies where you know you are supposed to feel sad but where you secretly hope everyone dies .I'm annoyed with myself for wasting my own time reading it . I had no emotional connection with anyone in "My Sisters Keeper" because the book was so contrived .Thinking this book is a good read is on par with thinking air freshener is perfume ! (After forcing myself to finish this book I have decided that I will never waste another second of my life finishing reading a book that does not have me gripped by the 3rd chapter...life is too short for bad books !)(less)
Karla I think the ending is cheap and stupid. The author created this huge dilemma (will the girl help her sister on her own terms or not?) and then took th…moreI think the ending is cheap and stupid. The author created this huge dilemma (will the girl help her sister on her own terms or not?) and then took the easy way out. My dream ending would have been so much more powerful: Anna and her mom make a pact that Anna will help Kate one last time and after that nobody will ever ask her again for anything at all.
The operation takes place, but something goes wrong. Kate's body does not accept the kidney. She dies. Shortly after her death Anna has some infection, her remaining kidney is destroyed, she dies. The mother stays behind with no daughter left and one very perturbed son who rejects and hates her after years of neglect.
The message to all parents worldwide: DO NOT PLAY GOD WITH YOUR CHILDREN'S LIVES.(less)

·  1,056,745 ratings  ·  33,484 reviews

Start your review of My Sister's Keeper
Lynn
Feb 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
**If you're planning on reading this book, don't read my review. I give away the horribly disappointing ending. On second thought, don't read this book, read my review.**

I know several people who have read this book, so I decided to give it a go. I was immediately intrigued by the subject of the book. The Fitzgerald family has one daughter, Kate, dying of kidney failure. The kidney failure is a result of her weary body's 14 year battle with a rare form of leukemia. Their other daughter, Anna, i
Lindsay
Aug 14, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jodi Picoult fans, chick lit fans
Shelves: misc
Lisa
May 28, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As I said before: I'm still reading this book but I'm not sure why. My mom lent me the book and she loved it, everyone tells me they loved it and I'm sort of hating it while I read. I just want to finish it and move on. Maybe I'll change my tune when it's over.

Well... I hate it less, but I'm still not in love with it. I think I know the problem, though. It's Jodi Picoult. My mom loves her, my sister loves her, everyone I know loves her and I can't stand her. She just writes in this odd way that
Lobeck
Jun 22, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like trash pop fiction
this book is a shameless and unskillful manipulation of human emotions. i felt dirty when i was done with it. the story is on par with cheap natural disaster movies like deep impact that are formulated to tug at your heartstrings in very predictable ways. the author painfully over uses the dramatic blackout technique where she writes a line that's trying too hard to be clever or profound and then fades to black - aka, leaves extra space before the next paragraph or ends a chapter - sometimes wit ...more
Bex
Aug 01, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
This was a horrible read.
Premise: Great. Should be really interesting.
Execution: Terrible.

Ending: Basically the worst ending I've ever read in anything. Ever.

Wish: I wish someone had spoken up after the first read and called out the author on some of the really bad plot devices and decisions in this book. Just like someone should have stopped George Lucas before Episodes 1-3. This could have been good- really good. But it just wasn't.
jessica
May 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
oh dear. where do i even begin with this one?

the only thing i liked about this was the concept. the quality of one daughters life vs the sanctity of her sisters is phenomenally creative and very forward thinking for the time this was written. i loved the ethically, morally, medically, and psychologically ambiguous questions/answers this story prompts. it just really makes you think.

that being said, i hated everything else.

there are wayyyy too many POVs, several of which are unnecessary, and i r
Sammy
May 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-the-best
This book was stunning. In writing, in style, in plot, in character! It truly is one of those books that you really can't stop reading. Especially for me, because in a way it took me back to my Lurlene McDaniel days. Did anyone ever read her? She was always writing books about different teenagers and young children with terminal illnesses. I was addicted to those books. So it was no surprise when the young reader in me sort of jumped up when I saw a friend of mine reading this book and she descr ...more
Penny
Anyone who has a kid has probably, at one point or another, battled with them at bedtime. That's what I do, every night. There is much yelling, crying, begging and pleading. It's horrible.

Kid #3 is out like a light, so she's not part of the problem. Kid #2 puts up a good fight, whining and tantrum throwing, but eventually she succumbs to her sleepiness. Kid #1, however... well, she's another story altogether.

At night, she's afraid of everything and feels that if she sleeps something will get he
Peter
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary-fiction
Emancipation
My Sister's Keeper is a hugely compelling novel that explores an agonising moral dilemma of doing everything possible for your child - but can you choose between your children. It is heart-breaking, sensitive, compassionate and superbly written to bring a serious illness and portray it through a novel. The true exploration of the story is the sanctity of life, the precious, fragile, nature of it, the ownership we each have over our bodies, and the respect we must pay to others.

Sara
Nola Redd
Mar 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, christians,
Shelves: fiction-drama
I hate novels where parenting is questioned, simply because I too often find myself thinking, “Well I would never do THAT.” I then have to do the whole knock-on-wood routine and hope that I didn’t just invite divine retribution for being too judgmental. So it was with Jodi Picoult’s novel My Sister’s Keeper. After reading the summary of the novel, I knew that I would never make the choices that the parents shown did. After reading the novel, I found myself questioning what I might really do if ...more
Richard Derus
Mar 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pearl-ruled
Rating: fifteen one-thousandths of a single star (out of five; p44)

2018 UPDATE Anyone who thinks that this idea of growing a new kid for replacement parts is a good idea should read Altered Carbon or watch the glossy, gritty Netflix show.

Many are the yodels of praise for this horrifying book. The details of the main character's use as a farm animal for a more-favored older sibling are too grisly to recount without vomiting on my keyboard.

People die. Even when we don't want them to, and even when
Rita
Nov 03, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hated
Spoiler Alert. This review contains spoilers.

I hated this book so much. I only kept reading it because I had to find out why Campbell, the lawyer, had a service dog, since he kept that such a secret.

I hated the clichés (Julia chose just that moment to crash through the door… Anna chose that precise moment to speak up… Rita chose this moment to gag on bad writing…).

I hated the overwrought melodrama. Everything was just so saturated with heavy-handed tear-jerking prose that the book was soggy and
Ahmad Sharabiani
My Sister's Keeper, Jodi Picoult

My Sister's Keeper is a 2004 novel written by Jodi Picoult. It tells the story of thirteen-year-old Anna Fitzgerald, who sues her parents for medical emancipation when she discovers she was supposed to donate a kidney to her elder sister Kate, who is gradually dying from acute leukemia.

The story takes place in the fictional town of Upper Darby, Rhode Island in 2004. Anna Fitzgerald's older sister, Kate, suffers from acute leukemia, a blood and bone marrow cancer.
Mischenko
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on this week's Throwback Thursday @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

Leave it to Jodi Picoult to captivate me from cover to cover. I read this in 2005 and remember that I couldn't put this down until the final shocking end.

Sara's daughter Kate is sick. She has leukemia and Sara will do whatever it takes to keep her alive. When Anna is born, she quickly becomes her sister Kate's savior, but as time goes on, Anna wants a life of her own.

"If you have a sister and she di
Vessey
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 5-stars
SPOILERS

"There are some things we do because we convince ourselves it would be better for everyone involved. We tell ourselves that it's the right thing to do, the altruistic thing to do. It's far easier than telling ourselves the truth."

When Sara Fitzgerald discovers that her daughter Kate suffers from leukemia, she decides that she will fight for her child’s life at all cost. Even if that cost is someone else’s life. And this is how Anna is born. The girl who has never belonged to herself,
Elyse  Walters
Nov 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm guessing everyone has read this book - but maybe not??? When I saw another GR's post she just read it... and it was one of the most
disturbing books she ever read.., I can relate.

WAY before this movie came out...(with its different ending).....
I couldn't move at one point while reading.

I was on my way to the gym that early morning...but I was just a wreck----crying just too hard at the house alone...( not knowing anyone who had read this book at the time)..,
I didn't get off the 'floor' ..
Deanna
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Decided to re-read it recently as I happened to catch part of the movie on TV the other day.

This is Jodi Picoult at her finest. I have enjoyed all of her books but this one is at the top. When I first read it in 2005 I was practically forcing people to read it. It gained more popularity when the movie came out but I was a fan from the moment I opened the book and read the first page.

Jodi Picoult has written about many controversial subjects and this one focuses on genetic eng
K.D. Absolutely
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Nenette
My first book written by Jodi Picoult (born 1966) and I had mixed feelings about it. I don't know if I hate or love it so I just rate this with 2 stars that in Goodreads means, It's okay.

I have a friend in the office who is a solid Jodi Picoult fan. She encouraged me to read this a couple of years back as my intro to Picoult's world. I took the book home, read the first 10 pages, closed it and gave the book back to her the following morning. My reason? I did not like the 13-y/o Anna suing her pa
Phyllis Eisenstadt

AGAINST HER WILL

If Jodi Picoult's intent was to shock readers and make them cringe, she has succeeded beyond belief. As the mother of an extremely ill child, she was desperate to find a way to keep her alive. The premise was to conceive a sibling that could be a resident "body parts donor" for her older sister. I was incensed by the painful, invasive procedures she had doctors inflict upon the younger sibling. Although, as a mother, I fully understand how imperative it was to forge ahead and do
Sharon
Sep 17, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, really
Shelves: sofarin2007
it would be impossible for me to overstate how much i hated this book. I hated, hated, hated this book. I guessed the end 5 pages into it, but read it through anyway (why?)(probably because everyone else in nursing school was reading it and wanted to tell me how good it was. Never trust nurses). Interesting for the medical information, and if it convinced one person to become an organ donor it served its purpose in the world, but man, was it hard to read. It was trite and simplistic and written ...more
Wendy Darling
For readers who don't mind Message Books in which plot points and characters are jerked around for ultimate emotional manipulation.
Mitabird
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My Sister's Keeper was one of the most heart wrenching stories I've ever read. Anna's sister, Kate, is dying from a rare form of leukemia. She was conceived as a genetic match to help save her sister's life. It was supposed to be a one-time deal, but over the course of her 13 years, Anna has donated multiple times. Her sister is in need of a kidney and Anna's decided she's had enough of being told how to use her body. She decides to sue her parents for medical emancipation and refuses to give up ...more
Annemarie
Jul 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-german
Actual rating: 1.5 ⭐'s

This could have been a very good book. The premise has intrigued me for years: It presents an interesting situation, one where I would have no idea how to act or react if it happened to me in real life. So I was extremely curious how Picoult would handle such a difficult and sensitive, but also very important, topic...Well, unfortunately I was also extremely disappointed!

I realized pretty quickly that I didn't like the execution, but I kept on reading hoping it would get be
Rebecca McNutt
As good a book as it was a film, if not better, My Sister's Keeper is a compelling novel that draws dysfunctional characters together as a feud between them threatens to end the life of a sister with terminal cancer. I found myself disgusted by the mother, though. Her haste to overprotect one child and exploit the other one for spare parts was really cruel and disturbing, though I don't think she meant it to be. Excellent novel, and I'd definitely recommend it.
Madeline
Jul 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The conflict alone is what makes this book fascinating - the story focuses on two sisters, Anna and Kate. The older sister, Kate, was diagnosed with leukemia when she was four. Knowing that their daughter would need blood donations, bone marrow, and possibly organ donations in the future, Kate's parents had another child whose sole purpose would be to provide a blood match for Kate. Thirteen years later, Anna gets tired of spending almost all her time in hospitals, giving bone marrow and blood t ...more
Heather
Oct 06, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults, Book Clubs
Recommended to Heather by: Rory's Book Club
Nicole
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2018
Many reviews on GR mentioned that this book has a terrible ending, maybe I should’ve seen it coming but I didn’t. The way things ended shocked me. The book was great, I kept asking myself, if I was Ana, Sarah, Kate, Brian, or even Jessie, what would I’ve done? I’m not going into the details, most of you know the story. I just want to say that I’m very disappointed that the author failed miserably after posing a great dilemma. I’m still giving it 3 stars for the first 95% of the story and only dr ...more
Suzanne
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredible! Devastating though for sure! There is really no words to put how moving and engrossing this story is. You can see both sides of the debate but at the same time it is so hard to choose which is the better side compared to the ethical side and possible even realistic. I was thoroughly engrossed and had so much internal mental debates about this book. I still do not know how I feel about Sara.
My quick and simple overall is just one word for this book: AMAZING!
Israt Zaman Disha
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
How it feels to know that you have a disease and you are going to die any day? There is no guarantee of your life. Will you be prepared when death comes? Is it even possible to be prepared for death? So that one can accept it as 'I knew this was gonna happen' way?

These are the questions that I ask myself sometime. One of my senior's father in university had been diagnosed with cancer. And after a month he was gone. At the same time I donated blood to a cancer patient. I talked with the patient
Retired Reader
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, tragic and thought provoking.

• The Lovely Bones
  • The Help
  • The Time Traveler's Wife
  • The Notebook (The Notebook, #1)
  • Water for Elephants
  • The Memory Keeper's Daughter
  • Gone Girl
  • The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)
  • The Girl on the Train
  • The Secret Life of Bees
  • The Kite Runner
  • Me Before You (Me Before You, #1)
  • Room
  • Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)
  • Big Little Lies
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns
  • A Walk to Remember
Jodi Picoult is the author of twenty-six novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers Small Great Things, A Spark of Light, Leaving Time, The Storyteller, Lone Wolf, Between the Lines, Sing You Home, House Rules, Handle with Care, Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister’s Keeper. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband and three children.

Her new novel, THE BOOK OF TWO WAYS, is

Articles featuring this book

Clear some space on your bookshelves, readers. Another packed season of irresistible books is just around the corner! To help you find your...
“You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not.” 21552 likes
“Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.” 11420 likes