Start by marking “Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2)” as Want to Read:
Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2)

Thorn Queen

(Dark Swan #2)

Eugenie Markham is a shaman for hire. She's paid
to bind and banish creatures from the
Otherworld.

But something happened after her last battle. She became queen of the Thorn Land. With her kingdom in tatters, her love life in chaos, and eager to avoid the prophecy about her firstborn destroying mankind, the job's really not all it's cracked up to be.

Now young girls are disap
Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Published 2009 by Bantam (first published July 13th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Thorn Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thorn Queen

Start your review of Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2)
MischaS_
EDIT (May 2020):

Then don't criticize if you can't offer a solution."

Wow, this re-read is going on very well. This book for me is a prime example that it can include the worse character, the biggest hypocrite ever which you just wish would disappear from the books for good, but you can still enjoy the book despite said character.
Kiyo is in my Top10 of most despised characters. I mean I would have an afternoon tea with Umbridge before I would even say Hi to him.

Anyway, as I've mentioned in m
Helen 2.0
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Before I start ranting, let me say that I liked the book and I admire Richelle Mead for it. Any frustrations I had with the character were in Thorn Queen for a reason - to develop flawed characters and bring the MC closer to where she needs to be.

That said, I need to get this rant out of my system: I. HATE. KIYO.

Reasons: *SPOILERS AHEAD*
-At the start of Thorn Queen, Kiyo has supposedly moved in with Eugenie and Tim in her quaint little house. In reality he brings all his cats and dogs to the ho
Catherine
Denisa
4.5
Well, well, well, what do we have here.

I admit, the last book made me curious but I can't say I had high hopes for this one. Sometimes I absolutely love it when I'm wrong!

This book had everything I could wish for. The badass characters, the awesome world, the bloody murders, even the sarcastic, funny stuff!
I even cried at one point.

During this whole read, I kept praying for her to leave the fox and go to the dark side, with Dorian (although I was absolutely sure that wouldn't happen, I mean
Choko
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with the UF masochists at BB&B!

Well, this book went to a place I did not expect when I started it... And I am not truly sure how I feel about it. I only know that it got very emotional and a bit depressing, as well as rage inducing toward the end...

It began soon after the end of the last book. Most of the first 40% was about Eug and Kiyo establishing a cadence in their relationship and we got to observe some passionate, aggressive and animalistic sex. This would be perfect
Felicia
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Emma
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked the way the MC developed in this story and came into her role in the Other world. Mead writes with a tongue in cheek sense of humour which is very welcome. Relationships evolve, develop, deteriorate too. Looking forward to the rest of the series!
Robin (Bridge Four)
4 Emotion filled Stars

Buddy read with the UF club at Buddies Books & Baubles

You know that book that is like a tug of war and while you are reading you are so upset with the characters but at the same time can’t put it down for anything. THIS IS THAT KIND OF BOOK FOR ME.

First we have Eugenie. I like her badass powers, I like her snark, I like her desire to help everyone, I like her sense of fairness and desire to help people in both worlds and her desire not to birth a son that would try and take
Shannon
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon by: The Flooze
It's always harder for me to review a book that I gave five stars to, and I think it's just easier for me to point out flaws than to pinpoint what makes a book amazing for me. I'll give it a shot though.

Eugenie is struggling with adapting to her new life of being the Thorn Queen while still trying to continue on as a shaman in the human world. She focuses on something in one world while ultimately neglecting something in the other.

When Eugenie became the Thorn Queen she transformed her lands int
Steven
If there weren't enough trigger warnings coming out of the first book, then this book would turn those triggers into fully blaring fog horn red alerts.

I really liked the story for this book. I did guess the villains early, but I didn't expect how far they would go.

I like Eugenie and this world, but two books about rape/potential rape are a lot to push through. I'll read the last two, but I'm disappointed in how this series is turning out compared to how amazing Vampire Academy and Bloodlines wer
Cherry Bob*omb
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Alisha
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of fae-related books, epic/urban fantasy mixes
Shelves: favorites
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Even more fun than the first book, despite tackling some pretty serious issues. Also, my appreciation for Dorian's character was only enhanced by this second installment. Eugenie is tougher than ever and learning to wield her magic, even amid protestations from Roland and Kiyo. Good on her for following her instincts and not just her heart. I see more fun times in store for Eugenie...and probably some a$$-kicking, too. ;)

Also, love the narrator. Took time to get used to her as the voice of Eugen
Elena
Fani *loves angst*

To say that this is better than the first is a gross understatement. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and the ending... god the ending had me completely wrapped up and turned inside out. The heroine however is never going to be a favorite of mine with phrases like "yeah, he made love to you so passionately because he was thinking of me" or "every man would give his right arm to sleep with me", hence the 4 stars instead of 5. I appreciate a little more humility to my heroines I'm afraid. I
AH
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I enjoyed almost every moment. Our heroine Eugenie commutes between the human world working as a shaman and the Otherworld as the Thorn Queen. Eugenie has grown and developed as a character. She genuinely cares about her kingdom and tries to work out ways for her subjects to be able to survive in the new arid lands. When some girls go missing, Eugenie starts to hunt for them. I found it interesting that Eugenie does not tell her stepfather about her new position in the ...more
Natasha
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Thorn Queen is a great second part in the Dark Swan series.
I loved Storm Born and hated that I had to wait a full year to read the next book. But since Mead has 3 amazing series, we get 3 doses of her each year! It's great.
Thorn queen met and went above any exceptions I had. I love the characters and the drama. I liked Eugenie's point of view. She's straightforward, interesting and easy to get attached to even if it's not exactly our type of world she lives in. She has some what of a hard time
Marsha
Feb 10, 2010 rated it liked it
This was my second book written by Richelle Mead. I enjoyed the second installment of the Dark Swan but I must say I am so confused and concerned by the overwhelming number of novels on the shelf right now written by female authors that use rape as the element of the plot. Yes, I am aware that rape occurs but most of these books treat it lightly and do not deal with the aftermath and the healing necessary to restore the characters. Because of this I had to lower my rating of the book. I would th ...more
Amanda
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Future Amanda, you may decide that you want to finish this series and her other one. Don't do it. Let it go. These are not the books for you.
Ky  Baeza
The storm raged more strongly around me. “I’m the Storm Queen,” I said in a low voice. “And you will pay for what you’ve done to me.”

WOW, just WOW! I was not expecting this kind of story from this book.

But before I start my review I will say it: KIYO IS A PIECE OF TRASH, THERE IS NO COMING BACK FOR HIM FROM THIS Also, THERE ARE GOING TO BE SPOILERS!

At the beginning of the book, we have Kiyo and Eugenie pulling a Tamlin and Feyre (less the PTSD) 0n us, because he moved on with her. To be
Bec
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kenya Wright
This is another book I read to 50% and put it down for Four Reasons.

ONE- I found Eugenie to be boring and unlikeable. She's so freakin boring... And truthfully I think Richelle Mead has that problem with both of her adult series... The main chicks are boring and so unacepting of their dilemas... COME ON MEAD give me something new!!

TWO-I think Kiyo is goodlooking but not a great boyfriend. He could have died and I wouldnt have shed a tear.

THREE- I love Dorian, but really he should have hisown boo
Melanie
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a bit behind with books! I've been so busy lately! But this book was great. It went to a much "darker" place than the first.
Angela
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beige
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: zread-rom-pnr
Artemis Christopoulou
I am still NOT in love with this series.....BUT I still want to see how it ends, for some weird reason!!! I hope I am not wasting my time on this one!!! I loved her other books (Vampire Academy and even Bloodlines) but this series I am not sure it's for me!!!!
FlibBityFLooB
Brandi Kosiner
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read Thorn Queen because I love Richelle Mead, as well as the first in this series. Eugenie is charismatic, and I love her passion and energy. She is now the queen of a kingdom in the other world since she defeated its king. She is totally inexperienced and didn't have much interest in it, but as the story goes on and she meets some of the subjects, she can't help but feel responsible and want to help.

She begins splitting her time between the worlds, and trying to figure out her n
Mel
Sep 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it was the big hype created around the book which had me waiting for more things to come, or maybe it was due to the fact that I read this book after reading a lot of PNR books (where intensity and passion on almost every page is a must) which made me not really appreciate Eugenie’s dry tone narrative voice, or maybe it was just me... but it did take me a fair amount of pages to warm up to the book.
After that however I got sucked into an engaging, exciting and at certain times shocking an
Jamie
I don't know if I'll fully review this book, being Christmas and all, but I liked Eugenie a bit better in this one, and I still adore Dorian. As my friend Samina said, I can't see how Eugenie can even like Fox face at this point!
Team Dorian or Team Kiyo 37 237 Sep 09, 2014 08:41AM
Paranormal & Urba...: (Oct'11) Let's talk a about it! 8 35 Oct 26, 2011 05:29AM

• A Kiss of Shadows (Merry Gentry, #1)
  • Harley Merlin 16: Finch Merlin and the Blood Tie
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Kisses from Hell
  • Threader
  • Cold Iron Heart
  • Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1)
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)
  • American Demon (The Hollows, #14)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • Wicked Hour (Heirs of Chicagoland, #2)
  • The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)
  • The Shadow Reader (Shadow Reader, #1)
  • Shift (Shifters, #5)
  • Mind Games (The Disillusionists, #1)
  • Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)
  • The Culling Trials Omnibus, #1-3 (Shadowspell Academy, #1-3)
  • Forbidden Power (Harem of the Mindslayer, #1)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f

Dark Swan (4 books)
  • Storm Born (Dark Swan #1)
  • Iron Crowned (Dark Swan, #3)
  • Shadow Heir (Dark Swan, #4)