Start by marking “The Reason for a Flower” as Want to Read:
The Reason for a Flower

The Reason for a Flower

(World of Nature)

The reason for a flower is to manufacture seeds, but Ruth Heller shares a lot more about parts of plants and their functions in her trademark rhythmic style.
Published February 15th 1999 by Puffin Books (first published February 15th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Reason for a Flower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reason for a Flower

Start your review of The Reason for a Flower
Shiloah
It’s amazing how much one can learn from children’s books. This one was no exception. Add Heller’s beautiful artwork and it’s just perfect.
Aneesa
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is beautiful and informative, and frankly I can only stand to read books that rhyme, but I do think it might be less dense if it lost the rhyme scheme.
Shannon Molina
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: peers
This book is educational but not something that would catch the attention of children not unless they are interested in flowers. I thought it was a lot of information that children would question. I think it would suit older children that are interested in all aspects of a flower.
Jonathan Smith
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
This book would be great to teach young children the life cycle of a plant. We use flowers for the seeds. Very colorful and great pictures.
Margaret Boling
2/16/2011 ** Read this with my students today before we pollinated the flowers of our rapid-cycle Brassica rapa plants. I wanted the kids to understand why we didn't yet have seed pods and why/how we needed to pollinate. The book was an excellent complement to our science lesson today and my students did seem to enjoy both the pictures and the text, while also applying some of the scientific terminology later during their hands-on activity.

I've owned the book since the mid-90s when I saw Ruth He
Julian
Nov 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plants
Wow! What a beautiful book to incorporate in a lesson on plants. I had to do a Science Unit plan and this is one of the books I included in one of my lessons. The illustrations are captivating for children and the vocabulary is rich. Probably every word that one would cover in a plant lesson is included. I would recommend this book for grades 1-4. Sneak Peak: "bamboo are a treat for animals who don't like meat." Also how plants and animals are co-dependent on each other. Just a wealth of informa ...more
Tracy
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
This book has illustrations that are so colorful. The author is one of my favorites for informational books. It's informative and engaging to children because of the style of writing and big, beautiful illustrations. The book is all about the reason for a flower and how plants make their own seeds. A great book for fourth grade and under to look at while studying any unit on plant life. ...more
Powerm2
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
This book explains the life cycle of a flower and the stages it goes through for life. This book is a great way to introduce informational genres to children in a more vibrant and interesting way. The book is told in a rythnic style and has rhymes throughout. If you look below I chose a delicious quote that demonstrates how he introduces pollen and uses the word breeze and sneeze to help explain the effect pollon can have.

Long, drawn out chapter books intimidate children and this books's illust
Sterlande Altidor
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
This book is a perfect book to read to the whole family. Children would enjoy looking at the pictures and reading this book. This book will keep children interested and engaged in reading this book. This book is a classic, the illustrations are captivating and inviting. Children will be able to identify insects, animals, and plants, because the illustrations are clear and descriptive. This book will be a great book for younger and older children, and you could use this book to talk about the spr ...more
Lesley
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
My grandson shared this book with me today , his mother had bought it second hand . It is stunning ,and colourful with beautiful illustrations by the author Ruth Heller . Her words and pictures tell the reason for a flower and this little treasure contains a lot of useful information for my 7 year old grandson who already loves plants and gardening . What a wonderful find and I am delighted it has been shared with me today
Maliha Arman
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
This book is a helpful and fun way to introduce planting to children. I would definitely use this book to also introduce spring and summer. The Reason for a Flower is a colorful way to engage children through the different colors of the flowers, the variety of sizes, and the step by step procedure to plant flowers.
Amy Buthelezi
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of vivid, colorful illustrations depicting the life cycle of plants. It introduces new vocabulary words and has rhyming and alliteration, as well. This book is very informative and detailed, yet simple and intriguing for small children. It would be a great book to read to children before doing a science activity relating to plants or gardening.
Leila
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-class-books
This is an excellent book to introduce young children about plants. It allows them to understand about nature. This book can teach children hands-on activities such as planting lima beans. Let the children plant their own individual lima beans with a cup and take care of it, which will teach them responsibility. It will also allow them to observe the plant everyday.
Manal Cheikh
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good book to use when teaching a science class about pollination and how plants grow. It can be used to spark interest before teaching about flowers and plants. The bright pictures are nice to look at when learning about the flowers because it allows children to not only learn about a flower but to see what is looks like too.
Shelbi Edinger
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was very difficult for me as an adult to get through because it wasn't very engaging or exciting. It was more nonfiction and scientific based. It would be good for a science lesson on pollination. ...more
Leigh Ann Triplett
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
This is a great book for teaching the life cycle of plants. It has very vivid pictures full of different plants and lots of color. It can get lengthy so I would use it with an older age group or condense it some for younger children.
Chelsea
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I learned things from this book and I remember learning some of the things mentioned in the book, in my college biology class. I really like how the book simplifies information about plants and how they are pollinated. However, some of the things might go right over some younger readers heads.
Marie Arie
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
The reason for a flower covers the life span of a flower and all of its functions. Some flowers produce fruit others produce even more seeds for flowers. The book highlights all stages of flowers from the root to the blooming.
Raquel Turner
This is a good book to read to children during the spring. This book helps children to understand the pattern of growth. Learning about flowers can become a class lesson. This would be a great book to introduce the class to a lesson plan about seeds in the science area.
Haley Hoenke
Science, Nature, Plants
Orion Kopf
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cried the first few times my mom tried to read this to me, but eventually I put up with her reading the whole thing!
Sam Dawson
A very education books about flowers, seeds, and animals who eat. Very detailed and educational illustrations.
Kimberly
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just love all the beautiful pictures of the various flowers and insects/animals. Informative for the youngsters.
Hannah Klumb
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bugs
An informational book without being too text book like.
Anita Marlin
The pictures are so colorful, and it is an informational book. It is quite a long informational book about the plant life. It may help for doing the science activity.
Mort
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
Colorful illustrations. book discusses flowers and many colors of a flower.
Kristin O.
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may-rar
Absolutely gorgeous illustrations! A very informative and fascinating look at plants of all kinds.
Although some portions seem a bit disjointed, this is a fun book about why and how seeds flower. Would be good for a unit on plants for lower elementary.
Kathryn
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I'm not sure which I enjoyed more the education about flowers or the beautiful artwork. Together they are a book so well craft everyone learns a little something. ...more
Melissa Chalhoub
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-youth
This is a beautiful book. It's cute, the illustrations are poetic, and the poem describing the science behind flowers is lovely. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Maisy Goes to the Library
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama
  • Flower Fairies of the Spring
  • There Might Be Lobsters
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • Watchman
  • Over in the Meadow
  • Hedgie's Surprise
  • Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten
  • Elizabeth & Elizabeth
  • The Tiny Seed
  • A Child's Garden of Verses
Author and illustration with a passionate interest in Korean culture. She lives with her husband in San Francisco, California.

World of Nature (4 books)
  • Chickens Aren't the Only Ones: A Book About Animals that Lay Eggs