Start by marking “I Run, Therefore I Am--Nuts!” as Want to Read:
I Run, Therefore I Am--Nuts!

I Run, Therefore I Am--Nuts!

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  236 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews

I Run, Therefore I Am--Nuts! takes a funny look at the peculiarities, quirks, and obsessions of runners of all abilities. Whether you fall in the middle of the pack, up near the front of the pack, or so far from any semblance of a pack that you're wondering if everyone went home already, you'll find plenty to laugh about in this book.

I Run, Therefore I Am--Nuts! is a comic
Published August 6th 2001 by Human Kinetics Publishers (first published August 2001)

To ask other readers questions about I Run, Therefore I Am--Nuts!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Run, Therefore I Am--Nuts!

Sep 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: runners
I am a runner and this book was such a pleasure to read. It made me laugh at all the silly things that we runners do and think. It is rare to find a collection of absolutely hysterical essays on running.
Kara
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor, memoir

Very much written only for those who are serious runners – the type to run multiple marathons a year. Lots of in-jokes you’ll only get if you’re in that particular club. Great if you are, but just ok if you aren’t.
LeaAnn
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! I saw myself and my nutty runner friends in the descriptions!
Rainey
Aug 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
It tries really hard to be funny, but it's like running related things wrapped up in "dad-joke" packaging. And if I read the word 'neophyte' again anytime soon, I'm going to scream.
Reed Raab
There is definitely a lot of humor in here for the seasoned runner. I wouldn’t recommend it for people who have just embarked on their running career because the majority of these chapters would be lost on anyone who has yet to train or run a marathon. Though sometimes the jokes of Schwartz become a little corny, I still found this fun to read, especially the chapter about the history of the marathon and the one about running spouses (which really hit close to home). I was even informed about wh ...more
Wils Cain
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I do enjoy reading and talking about running and of course getting out the door and running itself. But this was just too much for me even. I really wanted to like this book, especially a funny book about running but ended up not really enjoying it and just getting through. Each chapter seemed disconnected and more like a mini-article rather than flowing book. The hardest part to get through however was Schwartz's attempt to tie almost every sentence into a running theme which just ended up feel ...more
Jeannie
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was on a suggested list of must read books. It makes fun of all things running. It said it was funny, it looked funny. But, I didn't think it was that funny. It had some good humor, but overall, I rarely laughed and I don't remember any of what I just read. Perhaps, I just have the wrong personality for it?? I don't know. But I got close to finishing it,but decided that I didn't want to read it anymore.
Tim
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
This a collection of essays on long distance running by Bob Schwartz. They are supposed to be funny but after you read one or two of the chapters they all kind of run together in a jumble. These would be pretty humorous in monthly installments but not all together. This book is also not helpful at all if you are looking for information about running.
Vincentjones
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: body_mind
It is a so hilarious that I laughed so badly for so many times.

There are something in the book that can be recognized only by runners. You will has a strong feeling that you are listening another runner is sharing his running stories with you in a sports bar.

I finished the first two and the marathon chapter.
Karen
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because I want to be a runner. In every sense of the word. I am training for a marathon in Oct of 2008 and thought this would help. It is a very funny book if you are a runner or know about running. The author makes light of all the crazy things that runners do. Its a great book and really suggest it if you run.
Hardeep
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
One issue I have with compilations of short essays / stories is that if they are all in a similar vein they tend to get a trifle boring. I think that is what happened here. If I read each essay separately (say published in Runners world), it would have kept my interest going...
Chuck Cova
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought this book years ago and used it as a refernce a few times when I needed a little inspiration or a smile. Once I sat down and really read it, though, I came to realize there is great coaching wisdom in those pages (as well as some good humor). A good read for the too serious runner.
Rhonda Coale
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
This is not a book about technical tips on running. It's an attempt at humor, with about a million references of hyperbole. Not what I was looking for, but a quick, light read that required no critical thinking skills whatsoever.
B
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, clutter
I'm sure the contents of this book were funnier before they were compiled, but as it stands there were just too many "I'm a crazy runner" jokes within too small a space.
Leslie
Mar 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
A funny take on running for those who are addicted to it.
Mark Fallon
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
A collection of humorous articles by Bob Schwartz. Helped me realize that my newly found obsession with running may not be shared by others.
Peter Hahn
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was just getting back to running, and it really brought the joy back to it for me.
David
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cleanskin
Enjoyed it but a bit disjointed, forced and not as funny as I thought it would be. Most chapters are 3 or 4 pages long and self contained.
Jamie Hemphill
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Laugh Out Loud Funny!

My kids would turn and look at me like I was crazy for laughing out loud at this witty, but oh so true adventures of running. Loved every minute.
Christel
Dec 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: christel
This book was a series of short writings. I thought it would be funnier, but it was just ok.
Joseph
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
If you're not a runner, don't bother. Some good sections, some not so much. 2.75 stars.
Ellie
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I received this book as a present from a runner friend. It is a series of essays on running; some are more funnier than others. I can definitely see "me" in some of the essays
Kelly Bolin
Oct 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
I unfortunately found this book to be not funny-funny but mostly dumb-funny.
Helen
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Enjoyable...worth it just for chapter 9: "Parade Charade"! If you are a runner you may enjoy the essays, mostly tongue in cheek.
Carrie
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-a-copy
Hysterically funny, and very easy to read and identify with.
Celia Castillo
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It made me laugh a lot!
Debbie Rhines
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the funniest books I have read! Good to know I am not alone in my bizarre obsession and habits:)
Kristel
Jan 24, 2016
Natalie Marie
rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2015
Emily
Jan 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Quotable Runner: Great Moments of Wisdom, Inspiration, Wrongheadedness, and Humor
  • The Four-Minute Mile
  • Marathon: You Can Do It!
  • Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks & Adventures
  • Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon
  • The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some
  • My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon
  • Strides: Running Through History with an Unlikely Athlete
  • Running & Being: The Total Experience
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Runners: 101 Inspirational Stories of Energy, Endurance, and Endorphins
  • The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life
  • Life at These Speeds
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • Runnning and Walking for Women Over 40: The Road to Sanity and Vanity
  • Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever
  • A Race Like No Other: 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York
  • Bowerman and the Men of Oregon: The Story of Oregon's Legendary Coach and Nike's Co-founder
  • Women Who Run

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99