Start by marking “Fatima's Good Fortune” as Want to Read:
Fatima's Good Fortune

Fatima's Good Fortune

Freshly arrived from a beautiful Tunisian island to work for the exacting Countess Poulais du Roc, Fatima finds herselfin a city where even the most mundane tasks like walking the dog and buying the groceries prove baffling. But her natural compassion ensures her survival, and-unexpectedly-brings good fortune to those around her.
Published June 22nd 2005 by Miramax Books (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fatima's Good Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatima's Good Fortune

Start your review of Fatima's Good Fortune
Astrid Lim
On the surface, this is a cute little story about a woman, a newcomer who tries to find her way in Paris. But deep down, this is a pretty serious view about immigration in France and it shapes the country. I like Fatima, the main character, who is effortlessly likable. She's a woman from Tunisia who is considered unlucky, but apparently always has the greatest fortune. The plot, even though quite simple, is engaging and opening up our mind. ...more
Lisa
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I chose this book because I felt like reading something uplifting. I almost gave up after about 50 pages as I found the book shallow and trite, however kept going despite myself. In the end, I began to enjoy the colourful characters in this book, but could not really recommend it to anyone because of its lack of literary prowess. Readers who just want something quick and easy may enjoy it.
Jun 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Starts off kinda slow and you wonder "Where's this going?" But then you really get into the book and begin to understand the character. Very feel-good... ...more
John L
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and entertaining romp through 2002 Paris with plenty of quirky characters of all races and classes. There is humor, tragedy, and, of course, love. A heart-warming book which I highly recommend.
Annie
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a sweet story, I loved the main character! I found it hard to get into at first due to the number of characters and the little asides in French, but once I was immersed I really enjoyed the story and the way the characters grew during the tale. A good read.
Ruth
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the variety of characters in this book. It was set in Paris which just made it more fun!
Michelle
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity, french
Loved this. I adore books set in Paris but longed for a more diverse perspective. This did it. The ending wasn’t as strong as the rest or it would have gotten full stars!
Sreader
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely book about a Tunisian maid coming to Paris.
Heather
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
"Freshly arrived from a beautiful Tunisian island to work for the exacting Countess Poulais du Roc, Fatima finds herself in a city where even the most mundane tasks like walking the dog and buying the groceries prove baffling. But her natural compassion ensures her survival, and-unexpectedly-brings good fortune to those around her."

Fatima's younger sister, Rachida, moved from the Tunisian island of Djerba to Paris to make a better life for herself.  She was working as a maid for the Countess wh
AppleJuice
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
A cosy read. It's set in very posh Paris and is about the effect a "simple" woman from an Island off the coast of Tunisia has on the people she meets when she takes a job with an elderly Countess.

Fatima is a sweet, soulful character who isn't overly perfect or Pollyanna-ish, but rather is habitually unlucky, yet still positive, and is deeply empathetic to all she meets. She is aware that her misfortunes give her a rare depth of understanding,and she is greatly loved for her wise counsel and sym
penelopewanders
Sent along with a map of Paris..

I very much enjoy almost all of this book... A lovely story about a simple (not in the pejorative sense) woman from Djerba who comes to Paris to replace her sister as a companion/maid for a Countess. I just felt the ending was a bit rushed somehow. With that exception, a very sweet read.
Anne Hungerford
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Anne by: Mathilde
Not necessarily a life-changing, unbelievably penetrating book, but just lovely. Lovely, sympathetic, very human characters, an interesting, entertaining and pleasing plot, and I love Fatima. Overall a wonderful read.
Bachyboy
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
It is interesting that this edition only has her name when the one i read had two authors. How do they manage writing a book together?? This book was a little weak with too many characters but I enjoyed it more as Fatima's luck and life changed. ...more
Janai
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love how Fatima transforms into this beautiful woman, which she already was but allowed people to see it. I love the adventure and the love in this book, and I almost forgot it's in Paris!! Where I've always dreamt of going. ...more
Andita
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Three of five stars for this book. Too many characters and there are no footnotes for french utterances. Karakternya perlahan memikat hati. Fatima ran into misfortune during her past times, but because of her courtesy and generosity, Fatima found a flash of light and love from her surroundings.
Sephie
Aug 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was Ok, nothing brilliant really. Has been compared with Joanne Harris, but nowhere near so good.
Lori
Sep 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Just started this book, I like it so far, other than it's set in Paris and there's a lot of phrases in French!!! UGH! Any unlikely group of aquaintances...I like the dog. ...more
Jenn
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
You will find it hard to put this book down. It only takes a few pages before you are wrapped up in the characters.
Susie
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i loved how it made me understand the plight of the people from north africa as they work in France and other places in western europe. excellent book.
Penny
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
A beautifully told story that makes you believe that goodness is sometimes rewarded.
Ellen
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love happy endings...
Mary
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
It brought back lots of nice memories of my trip to Paris. The chapter about Rachida's "fosse commune" grave moved me the most. ...more
Geneviève
It's not bad but I was led to believe it would be funnier than it turned out to be. ...more
Lu
Cute; Morrocan woman goes to Paris as mail
Kristine Morris
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
A lovely story - so pleasurable to read.
Adri
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
The kind of book that leaves you feeling warm and fuzzy. And it also gives the reader a lot to ponder, about life, love and our attitude to those around us.
afina
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rak-depok
A simple, okay read. I find nothing special or memorable from this book. The ending is happy. Crudely-happy, the 'happiness' being defined by a real worldly wealth. ...more
Marion Benwell
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A tale about immigration quite pleasantly read. The characters are quite caricatural, I reckon.
Taurus Love
Absolutely loved this story
Paul Servini
A comedy about imigration. Nothing too serious but very enjoyable.

• E se fosse destino (Serie del Destino #1)
  • Harimau! Harimau!
  • Sei tutto quello che non volevo
  • In ogni goccia di pioggia
  • Quasi nemici