Start by marking “The Adventures of an Aluminum Can: A Story About Recycling” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of an Aluminum Can: A Story About Recycling

The Adventures of an Aluminum Can: A Story About Recycling

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Peek into this diary of an aluminum can as it goes on a journey from inside a bauxite rock, to the manufacturing line, to the store shelf, to a display on a bookshelf, to a garbage can, and finally to a recycling plant where it emerges into its new life…as a baseball bat!

This 8x8 paperback storybook is told from the point of view of an enthusiastic aluminum can. The diary
Published May 5th 2009 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of an Aluminum Can, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of an Aluminum Can

Danielle
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-vine
I read my 6 year old niece "The Adventures of an Aluminum Can" and she found the book to be interesting but she wasn't overly interested in the book. She found the story to be cute and funny in parts. She especially liked the part where the Girl with Braids had the aluminum can. And there were other parts that she found to be a bit boring.

The book is targeted at kids 4-8. I think 4 might be a bit young but I guess it really depends on what the child you're buying for is interested it. To me, 6 a
Carol
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Follow the process as a little speck of alumina is mined then eventually transformed into an aluminum can. The aluminum tells us its story through perky little diary entries complete with "photos". Our little can has a pleasant journey through her life until she reaches the recycling plant. You would think that being shredded and recast into something else might be a little traumatic, but not this upbeat aluminum! Recycling is so pleasant she never stops smiling. Cleverly drawn illustrations giv ...more
Amy
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that Janet and Caitlin used for their science literature kit. I'm so glad they found it - recycling is very important, and something that not all students know about or practice in their homes. It's a great topic in science, and is also very detailed and written so you can really understand and see the process of recycling an aluminum can. I learned a lot myself as I read it! It really shows you how much a recycled item can change! This could be used in a science lesson - ki ...more
fatemeh  motahari
انتشارات فنی ایران، که کتابهای کودکش رو به اسم نردبان چاپ میکنه، یکسری کتاب ترجمه داره به اسم کتابهای سبز که درباره محیط زیست و مراقبت از اونه
این کتاب هم از همون مجموعه است. داستان یه ذره کوچیک آلمینیوم که استخراج میشه از معدن و چگونگی تبدیل شدنش به یه قوطی کنسرو و دوباره بازیافت شدن و تبدیل شدنش به یه دسته بیس بال رو تعریف میکنه.
کودک خیلی خوب میتونه روند بازیافت و حتی چرایی تفکیک زباله رو با توضیحات والدین آموزش ببینه.
علاوه بر اون به نظرم قدرت خلاقیت و جان بخشی به اشیا رو در بچه ها تقویت میکنه
پ
Matthew
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Like the companion book about the plastic bottle, this is great for learning about the manufacturing and recycling process. This tells the story of an aluminum can beginning as minerals not yet extracted from the earth and continuing until it has been recycled and transformed into an aluminum bat. Nice example of foreshadowing wherein the can sees an exciting baseball game while still a can of fruit and later is recycled to become a bat in another game of baseball.
Janet Chen
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-related
So cute! And earth friendly!!!! The book is made out of recycled paper, so you are helping the environment as you are reading it. This book was chosen because of a science literature kit and it definitely is perfect for it. It follows the diary of an aluminum can and it shows you what the recycling process is and how important it is for our environment, really reminds me of the "diary of a__" insect books.
Megan Richards
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: j-nonfiction
I'm all for recycling, but I thought this was a terrible book. Do kids really like these stories? Well, it was cataloged as a easy juv. book and the story is about a personified can that gives the details of breaking up the metals to make cans that get recylcled to make a baseball bat. I'm just glad that little can found children to love him. Nice try for trying to add excitement to the aluminum can, but I'll work on a different approach.
Erin
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this book after reading The Adventures of a Plastic Bottle. My son loves these books, and I do too, because we both learn something. This was pretty good but I liked the plastic bottle a little better and so did my son. I like that it is written like a diary or journal so it's not overly technical.
Julie
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
My nephew, 5, loved this book. He's been garbage truck obsessed since as long as I can remember. This book gave him more factual information and a more in-depth look at the process. He'd learned all the technical details about the trucks and loves learning more about the processes behind the machines.
Amanda Stacy
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love the story line of this book. It follows the journey of aluminum can and all the processes it goes through till it is recycled or thrown away. This is a great book to read to third grade to teach about recycling. It could also be read from 1st to 5th.
Crystal Marcos
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Alison Inches does it again with her wonderfully illustrated books with a very important message. You will find yourself learning along the way.
Jillian Warren
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is wonderful resource for younger readers that illustrates how aluminum products are made and how they can be recycled to make something new.
Teri
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
good enough--now we want to set up a field trip to the recycling center
Kathryn Schilling