Start by marking “Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1: If Looks Could Kill” as Want to Read:
Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1: If Looks Could Kill

Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1: If Looks Could Kill

(Cable & Deadpool (Collected Editions) #1)

Wade Wilson and Nathan Summers - Marvel's mightiest mutant mercs - are back, and this time they're stuck with each other. Can two grown men armed to the teeth with deadly genetic weaponry live together without driving each other crazy? Action, adventure, black humor, black-ops, face-changing viruses, gratuitous France-bashing and lots of gunfire mark the return of two of ...more
Published January 24th 2007 by Marvel (first published November 3rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1

Start your review of Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1: If Looks Could Kill
Kylie🐾
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So this is the first proper comic book Ive ever read and the graphics in this one is absolutely phenomenal. I love that it ended on a sort of cliffhanger with the x men. Its rather quick witted as well. Kept me interested and it had a good plot to it. ...more
Roxanne
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I completely forgot about these and only reminded i even had them since they announced another cable & deadpool series, and i haven't even read these volumes yet urgh, don't bother getting into comics it's never bloody ending...okay tantrum over and yes get into comics just expect to be poor forever and everyone telling you to shut the hell up about them.
This is pretty funny deadpool is on form, cable takes a while to warm up to unless you're a huge cable fan, also the image of him vomiting
Praiz Sophyronja
I laughed a lot, Deadpool is hilarious! So much cynicism portrayed through one character, even the errrm... whatever-the-comic-book-equivalent-of-a-prose is enticing to read. This is my first Deadpool experience and I adored it! Cable and Deadpool are such opposites and the combo really works. Interesting ending in this volume with the X-Men cameo too, will have to carry on reading...
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈

I just can't get into this version of Deadpool. The dialogue is like a watered down version of better Deadpool books. With a writer like Way or Dugan, this could be great but instead, this feels like I'm reading the jokes they rejected. I didn't laugh once reading this book. I was also uncomfortable with the joke about underage girls being "babes in waiting". Gross.

As for the plot, it wasn't enough to draw me in either. A blue religious guy wants to make everyone blue and unified.
David Dalton
Not as much fun as I thought it would be. Also, I was not crazy about the art in the stories. Deadpool works well with Cable, but I suspect he works well with many characters (such as his recent team-up with Old Man Logan). The villains were not top notch either. But I guess we can't have Magneto or the Sentinels every time. I will not let this deter me from trying out Cable & Deadpool, Volume II. This is 3rd collection I have read using Comixology Unlimited.
Kurt
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I like both Deadpool & Cable too much for any book w/ them to be a total dud, but I couldn't get into this plot @ all.
Melki
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Two become one in a bromance just made for a Valentine's Day read.

description
Or not.
Edward
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I enjoyed this one a lot. Its a fun action packed romp with the Merc with a mouth and his not so easy going frenemy Cable. The writing was good and the art was enjoyable. What more could you want? ...more
Katie
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was great! I had to do some research on Cable's history, but that was a quick fix. I really liked seeing Cable and Deadpool go head to head.
Mady
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This didn't really feel like Deadpool. He wasn't as crazy and as funny as I hoped he would be and I couldn't get into the story at all.
Jdetrick
Fun. Sometimes superhero comics can just be fun, and that's what these issues are. Sharp writing, nice art and an enjoyable read.
FanFiAddict
DNF. I dont see how this one has 4/5 Stars. I was bored out of my mind 25% in. ...more
Thomas
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Twisted and funny, Deadpool and Cable are on missions with the same target but with opposing outcomes needed. Violence and hilarity ensue. Not for everyone,check it out.
Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one! Deadpool was as sassy as ever and I enjoyed getting to know more about Cable who I'm fairly new to but love!
Erica Metcalf
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Speedtribes
Sep 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, bromance
I decided to give this series a try despite the first few frightful sets of Liefield covers -- and I was glad that I did so. At times hilarious, at times heartfelt, this is a tale of "We-are-not-at-all-best-friends-and-we-certainly-don't-platonically-love-each-other" odd-straight-man passionate friendship/bonding between a delusional man and a psychopath.

I read this without knowledge of either Cable or Deadpool's canon and past histories, and going back to read them-- I found this current
Zala
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This was kind of nice but weird as hell...
And as I've already mentioned it's more about Cable than it is about Deadpool.

But this:
description
All those funny comments, hilarious sceenes and ironic outcomes make me rethink my rating.

Nevertheless, I didn't really like this Wade...that much.

A great Cable comic but a rather bad Deadpool comic.

[image error]
Travis Duke
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Cable and deadpool minus the rest of the x-force sounds pretty good. Both heroes are tasked by different groups to recover a virus. The virus can change the looks of a person which could cause serious trouble. Deadpool joins an aggressive religious group who plans on using the virus to change everyone in the world to look the same, while cable is tasked with bringing it back to another group.
The art was O.K. and the story is a little thin for me but overall a fun ride with cable and deadpool.
Mike
Jul 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Having read the later works and really enjoyed them (laugh out loud funny), the early Cable/Deadpool seems tame by comparison. Decent writing, interesting/creative storyline, but somehow left me feel... wanting.
Alexandria
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Nope, nope, and more nope.
Adam Stone
This is very nearly a four star collection. It's an easy-to-follow plot, the dialog, while never Laugh Out Loud funny, is well-written and plays to the Deadpool Says Inappropriate Shit trope without being insufferable or seeming like an excuse for the writer to be "edgy".

Unfortunately, there's a sequence in the fifth issue that's pivotal to the plot that is impossible to follow. It progresses the story to the sixth issue, but I've reread those pages for times now, and I still have no idea where
Jordan Anderson
I have a friend whos read a ton of comics. He told
me hes never been a fan of Deadpool cuz the character is difficult to read and the stories are hard to get into. After Deadpool vs. Cable, vol. 1 Im inclined to agree with him.

I think the problem is that the films ruined it for me. I loved both DP1 and DP2 so going into this modern comic iteration of the titular character, I was expecting many of the same things Ryan Reynolds brought to the screen. In short: it didnt. Yes, the pop culture
C
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Continuing the great x-read of 2017

I think that it takes a good writer to be able to write both Cable and Deadpool and make both of them believable and interesting (while keeping Deadpools trademark irreverent humor). This volume proves that there are people out there who are capable of handling it (and the art isnt half bad, either sort of cartoon styled, clean lines and colors that pop).

Continuing from the last interesting Cable solo book, Cable is still dealing with his god tier powers and
Vanessa
This is more of a 3.5 rating, because I did have quite a bit of fun and the art (except for that one reoccuring art where Cable has gigantic arms) was great. That's what I want all my comics to look like!

I still somehow had problems connecting with the story. I know that one often has to leave logic behind when going into the realms of comic books and I usually don't have a problem with that, but the story of some cult trying to turn everyone blue was something I just couldn't get really into.

Ralph Wark
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freaking awesome

Deadpool is kinda serious in this one, but there's a lot going on.....he is hired by a French cult with blue skin to steal a virus to change everyone on earth to take away their differences but Cable wants to Ave the world from them or use the virus himself but the virus takes away the ability to control his powers and Deadpool melts but he and Cable bond on a molecular level adenocarcinoma Fury and SHIELD get involved whole ZcCable turns everyone pink and he starts to rebuild
Ross Thompson
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Note that this is "Cable & Deadpool", NOT the other way round. This is first and foremost a Cable book, with Deadpool along for the ride. Deadpool is hired to help a strange French religious sect steal a virus that changes how people look - they want everyone in the world to look the same - blue. It starts off as a decent irreverent Deadpool story but once Cable gets embroiled it all gets more serious. There are fun moments, such as when the stars have to share their DNA in order to recover ...more
Doctor Doom
Let's talk the pros & cons.
pros- I got to read it free with prime reading, Rob Liefeld's artwork is only on the covers, great artwork within, good characterizations, intriguing story

cons- Rob Liefeld drawn covers, while preaching against religion it promotes the religion of humanism through preaching [think it out], confuses Bible Christianity with organized religion counterfeits [fortunately this does not come up to much- but enough for me to notice obviously-these guys really ought to stay
catechism
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I mean the idea of ending racism by making everyone the same color (blue, in this case) is not exactly unproblematic but I guess for comics plots it was kind of okay? I'm not entirely sure how well everything hung together, really, although there was a part where Cable goes to Charles for therapy and I couldn't stop laughing. Imagine thinking Charles Xavier is a good person to get advice from! Anyway, Deadpool was pretty tame and sometimes I would turn the page and some Liefeld art would be ...more
Jeun
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic, 2018
I don't read american hero comics much, and this book hit a lot of the reasons why I don't.
Rob Leifield's cover are terrible. The comic's artstyle itself is not to my taste. The choices for placement, colours, movement (just about everything) just make me wonder why and who approved it.
It's also hard to get invested because the writing isn't really doing it for me. I was expecting much better writing, considering it was held up as the Cable and Deadpool comic to read.
Crazed8J8
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Cable, I enjoy Deadpool, but this story was just a mediocre melding of the two characters. The action and humor both fell flat in this storyline, and the "villains" as they were, were just mediocre as well. Very little banter, just not up to snuff (and, like I said, these are some of my favorite characters).
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Thor, Volume 1: The Goddess of Thunder
  • Captain Marvel, Volume 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More
  • Ant-Man & Wasp: Small World
  • Phoenix Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey
Fabian Nicieza is an American comic book writer and editor who is best known for his work on Marvel titles such as X-Men, X-Force, New Warriors, Cable and Deadpool, and Thunderbolts, for all of which he helped create numerous characters.

Cable & Deadpool (Collected Editions) (8 books)
  • Cable & Deadpool, Volume 2: The Burnt Offering