Start by marking “Mistakes in the Background” as Want to Read:
Mistakes in the Background

Mistakes in the Background

Feast your eyes on a treasury of words and illustrations from one of the most exciting young talents around, recently voted by The Times as one of the top ten literary talents of 2008.
Published October 1st 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Mistakes in the Background, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistakes in the Background

Lauren
Jun 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Oh dear.

I really wanted to love this quirky book which combines poetry with artwork but found the poetry...well, rather silly actually.

Most of the "poems" were long and waffly and sounded akin to Purple Ronnie! The poems don't have any real depth to them and are flippant. I hate to say it but Dockrill just dumps a load of rhyming words together in the hope that they make her pieces flow, which often, they don't.

The vast majority of the poems collected here are forgettable and don't challenge
Lou
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book and was extremely excited when I received it in the mail. However, I was quite disappointed reading her poems. Unfortunately I have to admit that I expected more from the artwork. It was very tiring to read her handwriting.

I guess, it just wasn't my cup of tea!
Clare Holman-Hobbs
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, ebook, poetry, owned, 5-stars
I wanted to pick this up after Lena at justkissmyfrog did an interview with Laura about her book Lorali, which I read last year and loved! So I got the ebook of this and devoured it! It feels so good to be reading poetry again and what an unique collection this is. The were quite a few that stood out for me but the poem at the end really gave me the shivers.
Ally
Apr 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
I am not following.
Amanda
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, british-books
I do not read poetry often, but I found myself inexorably drawn into the South London world created by Laura Dockrill in Mistakes in the Background that I savored each poem and ran through the book in the space of a few days. The settings and situations are so urban, yet there's nothing foggy or gray. All the characters are vibrant, and the stories are about common people, common interactions, all told in beautiful rhythm.
Ely
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Review from Tea & Titles

Mistakes in the Background is a very unique book. Not only is it made up of poems and short stories, it also includes little illustrations and other decorative things. I’ve never read anything like it before, but I’m hoping now that I can find some other things like it because I really enjoyed this.

I’m not an artist myself, so I really liked that Laura’s style was very simple and messy because I felt more connected to it. I love looking at beautiful, perfect art journ
Sara
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Mistakes in the Background is a small, sweet book but it never quite lives up to its original promise. The novelty of the format - basically, scribbles - wears off pretty quickly, and some of it is actually quite difficult to read.

That said, there were a couple of highlights which made reading the whole thing worthwhile. The poem "And the bubblebath bottle in the shape of Fireman Sam" captures beautifully the relationship between sisters. So much so I wanted to rip out the page and send it to m
Rhi
This has to be in my top 3 books of this year.
It's brilliant and perfect, and I doubt you will be able to put it down.
I've been coming back to it all year long. Its zine-style charm is welcoming and addictive, whilst Laura Dockrill's view of the world makes you want to jump up and down on a bouncy castle then settle down for a lovely cuppa with a blank journal and a pen.
Kirsty
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-author, signed

I'm not one for poetry but bought this after meeting Laura not so long back and can honestly say I loved it. It's quirky and funny and nothing like I thought poetry was or could be. I could dip in and out of it for ages and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Gretel
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
The drawings are awful and Dockrill's handwriting sucks, making some of the content quite hard to read. The poems aren't bad, and there are some that I stopped and thought were quite clever. The book is marred by tryhard quirkiness.
Kai Page
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
the writing and drawing style is really cool and quirky, I enjoyed it!
Maxine
Jan 23, 2011 rated it liked it
cute, my favourite is definitely Mazes. cute illustration too.
Rachael
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring creatively. Perfect for when you only have a few mins.
Capnniknak
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really made me laugh out loud. Enjoyed the crazy drawings
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
feels like my own angsty teenage poetry/spoken word in the best way
Lucy-Brier
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Quirky, witty and somewhat nostalgic.
nomi
Nov 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
1.25
Ria
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Witty and anecdotal this reads and looks like the author's diary.
Full of her innermost thoughts, poems, little stories and daydreams this is a lovely, light read to get through in an hour or so.
Think this kind of humour would especially appeal to teenage readers.
Well worth reading if you like this brand of comedy.
Amanda
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I really love this anecdotal, poetic, thoughts based book of notes and scribbles. Some pieces are completely random and hilarious and some are thought provoking and touching. My favourites are Specks, Square and The Man with Such Long Arms.
Candice Horton
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: didnt-finish
Although Laura definatly has a way with words I really struggled to get into this. Her short stories are bizarre and humorous but i failed to find the common thread between them. Well written and worth a look but perhaps a little arty for me.
Lucy Moore

• The Smell of Good Mud
  • Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis
  • Eating Fire: Selected Poetry 1965-1995
  • The Isobel Journal
  • The Last Word and the Word After That: A Tale of Faith, Doubt, and a New Kind of Christianity
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Danes