Start by marking “The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #2)

The Hutt Gambit

(Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy #2)

Here is the second novel in the blockbuster new trilogy that reveals the never-before-told story of the young Han Solo. Set before the Star Wars movie adventures, these books chronicle the coming-of-age of the galaxy's most famous con man, smuggler and thief.

Solo is now a fugitive from the Imperial Navy. But he has made a valuable friend in a former Wookiee slave named Che
Mass Market Paperback, 340 pages
Published September 1997 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hutt Gambit, please sign up.
Peter No, but I'd recommend it if you want it to make more sense. Ultimately, I think you'll find it more satisfying after reading the first.

Start your review of The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #2)
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I still have issues with this Han Solo series: once again, it's all tell-don't-show in regards to Solo's imperial career and his rescue of Chewie from slavery (unforgivably covered in a matter of a few pages). Solo's first meeting with Lando is also rather perfunctory, and far less momentous than it could have been. But those complaints aside, this is a major leap in quality from the previous book. It's far more exciting and engaging a tale than "The Paradise Snare", and it manages to make Hutt ...more
Brad
Reading (or in the case of Star Wars The Han Solo Trilogy rereading) Star Wars books, with all their cheesie craptasticness is a great reminder of just how bad George Lucas' universe is.

It is all contradictions and stock characters and pretty lights and bad plots and predictability and self-referential bullshit and unspeakable dialogue and sci-fantastic worlds. And that's exactly why we love them so much -- or at least why I do -- because they are drivel.

So when A.C. Crispin, who is obviously a
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to see Han and Bria. Also liked seeing Chewie and Lando. Han got his own ship. Yay!!!

Hope to read more Han Solo books!! Can't wait to read Rebel Dawn!!!!
Iset
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
There’s less to tie this one into a coherent single plot like there was with The Paradise Snare, but The Hutt Gambit still has much going for it. Unlike Snare which took place over a few months, Gambit covers about two years, taking us from roughly 5 years before the Battle of Yavin, down to about 3 years beforehand. Events are more spaced out, and on top of that two trilogies of stories, written back in the very earliest days of Star Wars’ Expanded Universe of books – the Han Solo Adventures, p ...more
Wolf (Alpha)
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read
I loved this book. I have always loved Star Wars and this is no exception. I love seeing into the life of Han when he is younger and seeing how he met Chewie. I love the part where he meets Lando. I love how he meets Xaverri and how they end up working together later on. I love how she is able to create such a great illusion that it scares the Imperial force away. I love how we meet Jabba when he is younger and how we figure out what his and Han's relationship is. I love how Han gets through eve ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
"To make the big money, you gotta be willing to take those risks."
Han has just been dishonorably discharged from the Imperial Navy for intervening on behalf of Chewbacca, a Wookiee slave. Now, he is unemployed and burdened with a Wookiee, insistent on staying at his side due to a "Life Debt". But Han is clever. He pulls himself up and begins to hone his piloting craft by working for the Hutts, keeping just ahead of the bounty hunters, and meeting people who will influence his life in the future.
Mary JL
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any Sf adventure fan; Star Wars fans especially
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
It's not a spoiler as I think so many people have seen Star Wars. Han Solo did not succeed in the Imperial Space Academy. He actually made lieutenant; but then he inteferred when a vicious admiral was disciplining a Wookie slave with a force whip.

Han expected punishment; he did NOT expect to be thrown out entirely. So what other job is there for a crack pilot than smuggling?

At first, Han is going to seek his future alone. But when Chewbacca saves him from severe injury in a bar fight, he decides
Jeremiah Murphy
Mar 19, 2020 rated it liked it
There’s a lot of Hutts in here. I’m still not sure why this book is titled The Hutt Gambit other than the publisher took a bit of gamble assuming readers would like to read a lot about Hutts.

But Han and Chewie are here too. I give three stars because the middle of the book felt a lot like “Han Solo goes here then he goes there. Some Hutts. Han Solo makes friends and goes on a couple dates.”

But the last 70 pages or so had me hooked. Not as good as the first one but I am excited for the next one.
Ron
Mar 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Fills gaps in Hans' past, but the meeting with Lando is too contrived. Nice to see that Han really is a scoundrel ... with issues. ;-)

And the whole Boba Fett business is completely out of sync with the Star Wars movie canon. It's not Crispin's fault; she wrote before Episodes Two and Three identified Jango and Boba jett.
Rach
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2020
Like I said in my review for The Paradise Snare, I’ll never get tired of learning more about Han Solo.

I went into this with zero expectations and only a desire to keep following his journey. I got what I wanted: a fun adventure in the Star Wars universe! I always have thought of Star Wars as a soap opera but in space, and this series is like getting a little minisode spin-off that isn’t canon but still 100% enjoyable.

Sure, it glazes over Han’s time in the Academy and how he saved Chewie, but Cri
Christian Barry
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
In this fun space adventure, we get to see more of the Han we’re familiar with on screen as opposed to the child/teen character. He’s still quite young (and daring with the ladies) but the author definitely makes efforts towards familiarising us with his one-liners. It might be too obvious in some cases, but it serves a nostalgic purpose. We learn things like how Han came to wear his iconic clothes, what the Kessel Run actually is (or was), details about Slave I, Hutt gang relationships, and Han ...more
Dawn Livingston
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
The cover isn't as good as the first book.

The story didn't interest me nearly as much as the first book which is just personal preference. The secondary characters were blah and the story seemed to wander and lack direction. I was glad to read about the introduction of Chewbacca and the appearance of Lando Calrissian. I loved the whole idea of Han in the Imperial army but you knew he wouldn't be in it long and as it is he lasted longer than I thought he would. I liked the reason he parted ways w
Jake
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
For some reason, I remember reading this series years ago and being generally unimpressed by it. This time around, I'm finding these books seriously addicting. The adventure and exploits are super fun, and Impressively insightful as an origins story.
Meggie
For 2020, I decided to reread (in publication order) all the Bantam-era Star Wars books that were released between 1991 and 1999; that shakes out to 38 adult novels and 5 anthologies of short stories & novellas.

This week’s focus: the second book in the Han Solo prequel trilogy, The Hutt Gambit by A.C. Crispin.

SOME HISTORY:

The Hutt Gambit skips Han’s five years in the Imperial Navy, and picks up after he’s been cashiered. It’s a bold move, but it was also dictated by Lucasfilm, according to an in
Christian Smith
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Overall: 6/10

The main battle was very unique and I loved all the different smugglers teaming up to defend their home. It was interesting to get a good look into the life of smugglers, gamblers, and criminals that Han was with too. All the random relationships Han gets into are rather stupid and don’t add anything to the story tho. Also what the heck is Bria’s role? Maybe she’s more important in the next book but her role was short and not complete in this book.
Paul Darcy
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
by A. C. Crispin, published in 1997.

This novel, book two in the Han Solo trilogy, starts off with Han kicked out of the Imperial Navy and hounded by a Wookie. Yes, the Wookie is Chewbacca and Han rescued him from slavery. Slavery imposed on his kind and many other “aliens” by the evil Emperor Palpatine. The Wookie now, Chew-something as Han calls him, owes Han a life debt and doesn’t want to “beat it.” And aren’t we glad he didn’t?

The famous pair are finally united in this second novel and they
Thomas Markiewicz
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very intriguing, hard to put down.
Jim C
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This takes place in the Legends universe and is the second book of a trilogy. The first one should be read to understand what is going on in this one. This takes place five years after the conclusion of the first book. Han did not make it at the Imperial Academy and he is trying to find his way in the galaxy. These are events that happen before A New Hope.

I really liked this one as it brought back the feelings I felt watching the very first movie in the theaters. I believe the author has a good
Brian Skeats
Decent story, bland writing.

As always, this author fails to capture what details I care about. It's like I'm half in half out with the story and that just doesn't work for me.

The story is generally ok and the characters feel how they should so I can't fault the book there.

If you like the style this author uses, I am sure it's a great book. But for me personally, it just doesn't cut it.
CB
May 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I just couldn't finish it this time. The further I read, the more forced the writing felt. Crispin works too hard to put in the vocal and physical mannerisms of Harrison Ford's Han Solo, rather than making the character her own. Likewise, I don't think she knew what to do with Lando. I love the characters and the concept, but simply could not stomach the execution.
Andrew Lloyd
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Awesome book! So much better than the first one in the series. Can't wait to read the conclusion to the trilogy!
Adam Koebel
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
HAN FUCKING SOLO
Chase
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jake Roblez
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This book felt a lot more Star Wars then the last one. But, had less heart in the characters. Still a better origin then the Disney Solo film.
Adam
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars, ebook, legends
This volume has the same shallow prose that undermined Crispin in the first volume, compounded by a far more ambitious, external plot, which jumps over a lot of time and covers a lot more character relationships. It ends up feeling a lot like some of the early SW comics--hard to put into words exactly what I mean but a few milquetoast heroes meet some random people and instantly settle into these awkward, implausible friendships that don't really go anywhere as the plot progresses. We get Chewie ...more
Richard Haas III
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
With such a great first novel and immense potential for a sequel detailing Han's time in the Imperial Starfleet as well as saving Chewbacca from the slave trade, I was shocked to see all of that wither away in the short span of a couple pages. I think another reviewer on here said it best, "it's a tell-don't-show" situation. Now look, I get it, while primarily in films and literature we actually want to show and not tell, for this novel, Crispin wasn't aiming to tell that story. If she did, it c ...more
Michael Joosten
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not certain if The Hutt Gambit is better than The Paradise Snare or not. It's certainly more ambitious and it certainly succeeded in holding my attention--I read it through with no real temptations to put it aside. However, if it soars higher, it also has some flaws.

For what it's worth, my only major issue with The Paradise Snare is that it's all beginning and end, no middle. The Hutt Gambit, which begins in media res, having skipped over Han's military career and the encounter with Chewie--
Thomas
The Paradise Snare introduced the idea of Han Solo as an Imperial Navy pilot. It was an interesting idea, and one that helps explain why he's such a good pilot in the movies (though it doesn't explain why he never brings it up in the movies, but hey, this book was written 20 years after the movie, and I can live with such things), and one that I looked forward to reading about in The Hutt Gambit. Alas, this book picks up five years later, a month or so after Han has been kicked out of the Navy f ...more
Menion
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, another one down the mental digestive tract, that one was tasty! (burp) Even more fun then the first volume, due to a larger, more dynamic cast and some actual battles.
The plot on this one picks up a bit after the last one. In volume 1, the book ended with the start of Han's Imperial Training. Here, he has already gotten kicked out and picked up Chewie, and they are neophyte smugglers. That's all you need to know.
Why I really like this one-again, great characters! Aside from Chewie and Lan
Noel Thingvall
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Mandalorian Armor (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #1)
  • Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)
  • Shadows of the Empire (Star Wars)
  • Tales of the Bounty Hunters (Star Wars)
  • The Force Unleashed (Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, #1)
  • The Krytos Trap (Star Wars: X-Wing, #3)
  • Han Solo at Stars' End (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #1)
  • Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars)
  • The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (Star Wars: The Adventures of Lando Calrissian, #1-3)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
  • Death Star (Star Wars)
  • Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2)
  • Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3)
  • Wraith Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #5)
  • Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1)
  • Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina (Star Wars)
  • The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
Ann Carol Crispin (1950-2013) was an American science fiction writer, the author of over twenty published novels. She wrote professionally since 1983. She wrote several Star Trek and Star Wars novels, and created her own original science fiction series called Starbridge.

Crispin also served as Eastern Regional Director, and then Vice President, of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy (4 books)
  • The Paradise Snare (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #1)
  • Rebel Dawn (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #3)
  • The Han Solo Trilogy

News & Interviews

“There it is. The Millennium Falcon.” 1 likes
“Once he’d realized how the t’landa Til ability could be utilized, it had been a simple matter for Aruk to make up some doctrine, compose a few hymns, and write several chants and litanies. And that was all it took to produce a “religion” that credulous fools belonging to inferior species could embrace.” 0 likes