Start by marking “The House on the Shore” as Want to Read:
The House on the Shore

The House on the Shore

This visually magical tale takes the reader on a journey from the remote shores of Loch Hourn in the Scottish Highlands to the singular beauty of Cape Cod. When Anna MacDonald leaves Edinburgh to find peace in the Scottish Highlands, she gets a twofold surprise: a lost sailor teaches her to love again...while a mysterious stranger has plans to kill her. Passed over for ...more
Paperback , 360 pages
Published February 10th 2009 by Vanilla Heart Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The House on the Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on the Shore

Start your review of The House on the Shore
Jeanne Adamek
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought that descriptions of the house and the Scottish Highlands were wonderful, but the dialog especially between Anna and Luke were more often than not childish--at least in my opinion. Maybe because I am so much older than the two main characters I wasn't the main target group of this book. Because of the dialogs I found myself skimming until I got to a area (or house) description. And this turned the reading into a not happy chore.
Carol Kerry-green
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Though I've given this book only two stars, there were some times when the book was very gripping to read, and I can understand why it's being getting some many diverse reviews.

One of the major things is it could really have done with being tightened up a lot, there's whole sections that could be deleted, and the other really annoying thing is that it could have done with a serious proof reading, there were times where sentences didn't make any kind of sense as a word that should have been
Em__Jay
2.5 stars – It was OK/I liked it

This romantic suspense novel set in Scotland delivers a good product in many ways, but in others it fell short for me.

The Scottish setting is wonderfully described. Add in the information about the history and local culture, and it’s easy to imagine yourself in those surroundings. The suspense/mystery held my interest.

Where I struggled with the book was what seemed to me like contrived plot lines. Two examples being the boat breakdown and the conveniently owned
Jo Reason
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-reads
A good book, I particularly enjoyed the setting in the highlands, the details, the descriptions of the life in the remoteness with the fact that there are difficulties with the communication, shopping and other basic day to day life. I enjoyed the solidarity within the local residents and the details of the estate. There were a few moments from the main character Luke which were annoying with some of the words he used.
This was a welcome change from my normal thrillers, spy, police, etc novels,
Cynthia Heyman
A cozy mystery

Three stars that's all I can give. Right from the start of his introduction you know the laird is the nemesis and almost his reasons. But reading on you get more on the others, the village folk, our artistic center character and her goals and those who support her. Beautiful settings of the Scottish Highlands as a backdrop. And a HEF ending.
Roberta G. Mower
Could not put this down

The characters are so well written that I felt like I knew them. I feel like I have just visited friends in Scotland.
Cynthia
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a story full of mystery, a little action, lies, starting over, betrayal, learning to trust and giving of one’s self. Since this story takes place in Scotland I found the narration and the use of their wording made this a more believable story. There is nothing worse than loving someone and having that someone betray you taking on another lover. In Anna’s case not only was she betrayed by her boyfriend with another woman but in her job when he gives it to his new lover. In return she ...more
Susan C. Belanger
Very engaging mystery/love story

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It moved along at a nice pAce, had well-developed characters and a fairly complex plot. There were just enough plot twists to make it interesting and also a spicy romance as icing on the cake.
Geneva Stokes
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Glad I selected The House on the Shore, I needed a change from the typical murder mystery. Anna MacDonald finds her boyfriend has betrayed her, so she sets off to the little cottage left to her by her Grandmother. The story is set in Scotland, Anna's cottage is on the edge of a Sea Loch. A handsome American, sailing his yacht, is stranded close to Anna's. Someone is trying to scare Anna off her property, of course handsome American comes to the rescue. So many friends in town help Anna through ...more
Aileen Harkwood
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
nimrodiel
Read and reviewed for Armchair Interviews

Anna MacDonald has been betrayed! The coveted teaching position she has been waiting to get has been given to the other woman that her boss, and boyfriend, has been sleeping with. In anger, Anna quits her job, gives up her flat in Edinburgh, and takes off for the only place that she has ever felt truly happy. Anna’s late grandmother’s croft, located on the shores of Loch Hourn, in the Scottish Highlands.

The croft is isolated. Anna has no phone, no close
Kathryn Theulen dailey
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a modern day story set in Scotland. With a modern day women's problems, the story was easy to relate too. I found myself wishing I could visit the main character at her grandmother's croft. That sounded like it was a little piece of heaven somewhere in Scotland.
Anna is a school teacher. She thinks her life is going perfect. She thought she was in a relationship with the perfect man. She thinks she is up for a promotion in the school. Than her life all comes crashing around her. Her
Annie
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review **

This was a lovely story....Its about Anna and a journey of self awareness....She leaves her job because the man she was dating overlooks her for a promotion she deserves and basically breaks her heart....her grandma has passed away and leaves her there ancestral home in a wee little town in Scotland...lol Well after Anna settles in she starts feeling there is someone watching her...and she in NOT wrong....She meets Luke
Teressa
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

THE HOUSE ON THE SHORE was an intriguing story set in Scotland. It was a suspenseful romance but at times I found myself lost in the plot. Anna MacDonald has moved to her grandmother's croft when Luke Tallantyre comes knocking. He claims his yacht is stranded in the loch. She allows him in and it seems he makes himself more than welcome. Shortly after, they begin a love affair.

I wish there had been more of a back story with the characters, especially Luke. I wanted to get to know them and
Audiothing
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Audible Audiobook Edition
MY REVIEW
This story gives us mystery suspense and romance all in the magnificent setting of the Scottish
Highlands. The author describes the wonderful settings beautifully, allowing the reader to envisage the various locations with clarity which certainly enhances the listening experience. What I particularly liked about this story is that we are also given an insight of the effects of modern day life and of how it impacts those who live
Lilmissmolly
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The House on the Shore by Victoria Howard is a romantic suspense novel that keeps the reader engrossed in the story until the very end. The story centers on Anna MacDonald who is a college professor in Edinburgh. After being passed over for a promotion by her boss—and longtime boyfriend -- she quits and runs away to her grandmother's cottage in the small village of Loch Hourn so she can focus on writing a novel.

There in the Highlands Anna meets American Luke Tallantyre, who has sailed across
Indie Editor Nancy
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
This was a wonderful Scottish romance story set in Loch Hourn, a deep water bay in the Scottish highlands. Ana is mourning the loss of her boyfriend and her job as she runs back to her grandmother's croft to complete a manuscript she has been wanting to finish. Luke is an American who's sail boat breaks down in her bay, and when they meet, there is an intense attraction. Luke is an artist and retired from a dangerous career and is also in mourning; as he lost his fiancée and feels guilt and ...more
Zadaconnaway
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This well written novel takes place in the Scottish Highlands where a long family history in the area follows the highly independent heroine into romance and mystery. Victoria's descriptions gave me a picture of a place I have never seen.

After quitting her job in Edinburgh due to a failed romance, Anna moves to her family place in the country. A mystery man appears on the loch one day and mysterious events leave her wondering about his intent. Is someone out to 'get' her? Shots fired while on a
Katrina
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read, I read this in almost one sitting. I enjoyed the suspense, and murder mystery - love romance story the setting in which Victoria has set her story in sounds devine.

I enjoy Victoria's writing and intriguing storylines, I was compelled to read from start to finish and didnt find at all that the story lagged anywhere. Romance with enough spice and enough suspense and riviting plot to keep you engrossed till the very end.

The blurb says enough about what the book is about, - to
Terri
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fun, thrilling read...
I loved this book "The House on the Shore". It is a fun thrilling ride from beginning to end, loaded with romance, suspense and danger. I loved the accents and the dialect too. I was rooting for Anna and Luke the whole book!

The author, Victoria Howard did a great job on this book and I actually liked this book better than the first one (Ring of Lies). The plot is excellent. The friction between the characters is something else! It was like a tennis match. The narrator,
Melissa Levine
This was an okay story.

I’m not sure how I felt about the narrator overall. I loved her Scottish/Irish accent (big fan!) Luke’s voice sounded a little strange though, obviously it was because the narrator's accent was trying to come through. I felt there were times when she spoke in a monotone and others where she would go from one sentence to the next with very little pausing between (this lead to boredom on my part, which made it take a lot longer to get through the story). I noticed when Luke
Leserling /Belana
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I got the audio book for free in exchange for an unbiased review.

I loved the story, but then it plays in Scotland -- a country I'd love to visit one day. The people, customs, and highlands are described in a way that rings true, and makes me want to visit even more.
The fact that the narrator spoke with a (what I think is a true) Scottish accent just blew me. It all seemed so authentic, and I really loved it. To my relief, the narration was very clear, despite being in accent, so I was able to
Wendi
Apr 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book was terrible. There is no way that an editor reviewed this book before publishing. There were grammatical errors on every page of the book. In addition to the poor grammar, the writing was horrendous often switching between first person and third person voice within the same paragraph. The main character is a dimwitted, helpless woman who falls in love with an arrogant man who is nauseatingly patronizing (i.e., the consistent use of "babe", "sweetheart", etc.). There was no suspense to ...more
Frances
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this audiobook version , it is lovely romantic story filled with suspence and mystery.
The author writing draws you into the true feel of the remote part of the Scottish highlands in which the story is set.
I like the characters good and bad and the fact that you where never quite sure who the "bad guys" where until much later in the plot.
To my non scottish ears, Ruth Urquhart did a good job of the narration and scottish words, bringing authenticity to the book.
thumbs up from me
Deedra
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read!Well,it was a great LISTEN as I listened to the audible version narrated wonderfully by Ruth Urquhart. Anna is let down by her boyfriend and heads to her grandmothers empty cottage to regroup.There she becomes friendly with a man needing assistance due to a broken down boat.The love story seems too fast for real life,but it may happen.Town intrigue and drama ensconces Anna and her friend.
"I was provided this audiobook at no charge by the author in exchange for an unbiased
Chelle Cordero
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Anna MacDonald and Luke Tallantyre are destined to be counted in as one of the great love stories - This suspenseful novel was filled with passion and intrigue. Ms. Howard kept me turning the pages NEEDING to know what happened next.

Her description of the Scottish countryside was phenomenal and allowed the reader to feel the beauty of the land as if they were actually there.

I look forward to reading more of Victoria Howard's work.
Marilyn
Light but engaging

Forty years ago I devoured novels like this. Dashing mysterious stranger, danger lurking behind every bend ...while I've outgrown the genre, this novel nevertheless held my interest. But as an editor I wanted to reach for my red pen. The author needs to fire her proofreader.

Susie Q
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, especially the beautiful description of the Scottish country side. With Victoria Howard's words, I could imagine myself there, in a place I would love to visit. Ruth Urquhart also did a beautiful job narrating The House on the Shore. Her accents were believable and brought the characters to life.
I was given this audio book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
Tina
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another book with typos and missing words. Please hire me to proofread your book. Thought the ending could have been better. Seemed as if author just wanted the book to end or wanted a set number of pages in her book.
E L Borg-Breen
Escape reading

Escape reading

Good escape reading for a summer vacation trip where concentration is fleeting and the sun and view beacon.There is a thin veil of suspense if you do not try too hard.

• Art & Soul
  • The Bend in Redwood Road (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • The Last Bride in Ballymuir (Ballymuir, #1)
  • Home Is Where the Heart Is (Home to Collingsworth #1)
  • Across the Miles (The Not So Bad Boys of Rock #1)
  • Twisted Fate (Twisted Fate, #2)
  • Miles Apart (The Not So Bad Boys of Rock, #2)
  • Fire and Ice (Sticks & Hearts, #2)
  • My Only Regret (Twisted Fate, #1)
  • Love, Chocolate, and Beer (Cactus Creek, #1)
  • Raspberries and Vinegar (A Farm Fresh Romance #1)
  • Falling for You (Pearl Island Trilogy, #1)
  • Alaska or Bust
  • Selkies are a Girl's Best Friend (Mystic Bayou, #3)
  • The Beginning (Wyoming Wildflowers, #0.5)
  • Stay (Odd Jobs #1)
  • Hometown Girl at Heart (Hometown #1)
  • Carry Me Home (New England Inspirations #2)