Start by marking “Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions That Will Help You See It and Seize It” as Want to Read:
Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions That Will Help You See It and Seize It

Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions That Will Help You See It and Seize It

What's the difference between a dreamer and someone who achieves a dream? According to best-selling author Dr. John Maxwell, the answer lies in answering ten powerful, yet straightforward, questions. Whether you've lost sight of an old dream or you are searching for a new one within you, "Put Your Dream to the Test" provides a step-by-step action plan that you can start us ...more
Published March 24th 2009 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Put Your Dream to the Test, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Put Your Dream to the Test

Start your review of Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions That Will Help You See It and Seize It
Jeff Noble
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
It’s been a while since I read a book by John Maxwell, and now I remember why that is.

Maxwell’s most recent publication, Put Your Dream to the Test should be a must-read for anyone wanting to see their hopes and ambitions become reality. But it isn’t.

For starters, I’m not really sure who actually wrote the book – John Maxwell, his staff of quote researchers, or the hundred+ people whose quotes and anecdotes he strings together to try to make a cohesive statement.

Don’t get me wrong. At times, PYD
Jo Rae Jetton
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
FROM MIGHT TO FLIGHT

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.'" If poet John Greenleaf Whittier’s famous words remind you of a lost dream, take heart. John Maxwell’s, Put your Dream to the Testcan give you wings to move from might to flight.

The first leg of your trip is the test. Maxwell’s Dream Test covers ten areas, Ownership, Clarity, Reality, Passion, Pathway, People, Cost, Tenacity and Fulfillment. If you answer any statement false, you’ve unveiled an
Waris Ahmad Faizi
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!!
What a lovely book! Really enjoyed the read.
It is absolutely one of the most supreme books I have ever read yet.
The more I read the John Maxwell books, the more I am becoming his bigger fan.
A really great insight into dreams through forming and answering the following 10 questions:
1. The Ownership Question: Is my dream really my dream?
2. The Clarity Question: Do I clearly see my dream?
3. The Reality Question: Am I depending on factors within my control to achieve my dream?
4. The P
Grace
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book several times, but am just now getting around to leaving a review.

I believe it's a book worth reading more than once. The book lays out detailed instructions, basically, for chasing your dreams and passions. It's important to read it a few times over the course of several years, because as we grow and age, we learn more things about life; and our dreams may (or may not) change.

If you've always had a life-long dream or passion (or you've never had one and wish you did), I woul
Saza
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
do you have a dream? if so read it. I recommend this book to anyone who is sure of their dream and wants to take the next step in turning their dream into a reality.
Masu
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want to improve your personality read it.
Dan Ross
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Personal Development Readers
I met John Maxwell on March 28th, 2009 and he was speaking about this book, at a Success Magazine Symposium where I bought an advanced copy with a DVD/CD training course (my first time doing such a thing.) Dreams, within Maslow's hierarchy of needs, are at the top and tend to cause people to attain "self actualization." Dreams are BIG, important and rarely attained. They are the kinds of concepts that great men realize and so very few of us actually attain.

In this book Maxwell states that a dre
Andy Mitchell
“Disappointment is the gap between that exists between expectation and reality.” ~John Maxwell

If you are interested in taking the next step, pursuing the next opportunity, chasing the next dream, then I highly recommend this book.

In it, John Maxwell presents another classic self-management scheme, one that you will find useful.

His goal is not to discourage dreamers, but to give them a rubric to connect their dreams to reality.

I give this book my highest recommendation!
Richard Monyer
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought, print-book
If you're looking to do something great with your life and you need some direction on where to even start, this book is a perfect companion. There are 10 main areas to examine your goal or dream with and by the end of the book you will have it so well defined along with steps to accomplish it. I like the saying, "Go Big or Go Home!". In other words, do something really great with your life or just stay home like everyone else with the remote flipping through channels wishing you had a more meani ...more
Simon Green
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am actively perusing a dream today and each day over the last year. This book is invaluable for BIG or small dreamers, either before you start, or like for me midway through the journey. It allowed me to conduct a practical a root and branches audit of something that was in progress, and highlighted the areas I need to focus on in achieving my dream. It is well written, researched and referenced in typical Maxwell style..... Dream on .... and succeed with this book on your desk for reference.
Tradina
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all who have a dream.
Put your Dream to the Test is a great book. I put my dream to the test while reading this book and what did I learn - that I have a lot to work on.

I like that John C. Maxwell does not just inform you of what is lacking in the pursuit of your dream, he gives you knowledge to help you work toward achieving your dream.

I recommend this book to all the dreamers out there who are serious about achievement.
Tyrell Mentzer
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read to bring your dream into focus. Highly motivating.

The only thing I was frustrated with was that Maxwell tends to be compartmentalized in his thinkIng that people should stick with their "gifting." Talent is Overrated by Geoffrey Colvin disproved that incredibly. Anyone can achieve at anything if they have poor-average capability with 10,000 hours of deliberate practice. Decide what you want to do, learn from people who have done it, and go and do what they did.
PollyAnna Joy
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read by John Maxwell: PUT YOUR DREAM TO THE TEST: 10 QUESTIONS TO HELP YOU SEE IT AND SEIZE IT.

Polly's Dream Board: http://www.dreamitalive.com/pandapaw48

1. The Ownership Question: IS MY DREAM REALLY MY DREAM? My dream really is my dream. I have several dreams, but I'm going to focus on two for this posting. And yes, both of these dreams are my own and both are things that I really and truly do want and want to do.

2. The Clarity Question: DO I CLEARLY SEE MY DREAM? I do clearly s
Kev Willoughby
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maxwell has a gift for being just as practical as he is inspirational and this book continues that legacy. Using the concept of "dreams" to capture the imagination of the reader, Maxwell then lays out a blueprint for helping you see the path to success while also guiding you in such a way that will build your confidence (not just your hope) that you can and will get there. He is very clear about letting you know that you won't get there overnight and you won't get there with the wrong motivation ...more
Faisal
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Naomi
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book identifying the difference between dreams and desires. What does it take to accomplish dreams and what sacrifices is one willing to make?

Very apropos for what I am living right now so this book really hit home. I did listen to it through Scribd, but now wish I would have purchased it and made notations.

Very concise as to outlining key points to take away with appropriate examples. A very good book for a new entrepreneur. I had many reflective moments listening to this book.

John
Maria Irihana
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is the best book that I’ve ever read for life purpose or life calling as it’s not describe life purpose from biblical point of view, but also give example from real world so as a reader I can relate on it. This book also give practical things that we can implement as soon as possible.

I do suggest to read this book for those who are in the middle of confusion or struggling time to what do next in life.
Ian McGaffey
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very inspiring book, a good look at what it takes to achieve your dreams. Maxwell is able to provide examples and pose a challenging question for each of the ten points that will allow you to reach your goal. I found myself looking at goals in my life and also by the end having come up with an idea of what my goal may be. I look forward to exploring that goal using these ideas to see where it takes me.
Marco
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF

The author has contradicting ideas to what he already covered in how successful people think , in the other book he emphasizes on having focus time to think and understand the whole picture instead of " we will find a way to cross the bridge when we get there" as he put it.

Contrarily in this book he says you should only have a vision of something and cover things as they come your way , I mean , does he even read his own books?
Allan
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have a dream and do not know where to start? Not sure if your dream is worth pursuing? Can your dream become reality? John Maxwell does a great job going through 10 questions that need to be answered to make a dream become reality. Very clear and well written book. Grab that dream and put it to the test and enjoy the journey that it takes you on.
Chris Stefanova
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
While this book has some value, it assumes everybody is a delusional idiot who has unrealistic expectations. It is not concise in it's points and feels very ramble-y.
The two things I took away are: Yes, success is hard work, using your strengths and good habits to reinforce them. Also, the author really loves leadership a lot, that is great.
Manav Panjwani
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some of our most creative moments come from daydreaming. But if there are no actions involve they’ll remain just that—dreams existing as figments of your imagination.

You have a responsibility to turn your thoughts into action. Through action, you’ll learn more about what you’re trying to achieve and who you really are than any amount of thinking will tell you.
Jon Mellberg
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another GREAT Maxwell book! If you have a dream, a REAL dream, you owe it to yourself to contemplate it. This book walks you through that process in plain, simple detail. Maxwell challenges the reader to vet their dream, and make sure they realize the best steps to pursue it!
Stephen
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
READ AUG 2017

Maxwell does a nice job of layering what successful people need to do to achieve their dreams. This applies not only to entrepreneurs, but to anyone with a dream to make a difference.
Chris
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most inspirational books I've ever read!
Joy
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great resource to help with the process of figuring out how to achieve your dreams.
Ben Lobaugh
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great questions to ask yourself to determine if you are pursuing you dream and what you need to get there.
Stan
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This book gives one the tools for achieving your. I will re-read this book.
E.N. Chaffin
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very inspirational for anyone who needs a boost of confidence!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice
  • Hope in the Dark: Believing God Is Good When Life Is Not
  • Relationship Goals: How to Win at Dating, Marriage, and Sex
  • How to Develop Your Personal Mission Statement
  • MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
  • Véndele a la mente, no a la gente
  • The Dream Giver
  • Believe It to Achieve It: Overcome Your Doubts, Let Go of the Past, and Unlock Your Full Potential
  • لا تحزن
  • Didn't See It Coming: Overcoming the Seven Greatest Challenges That No One Expects and Everyone Experiences
  • Ca$hvertising: How to Use More Than 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make BIG MONEY Selling Anything to Anyone
  • 151 Quick Ideas to Manage Your Time
  • Hunch: Turn Your Everyday Insights Into the Next Big Thing
  • كليلة ودمنة
  • Aspire: Discovering Your Purpose Through the Power of Words
  • Tu Poder Ninja: La vida en lucha no es vida
  • The Leader In You: How to Win Friends, Influence People and Succeed in a Changing World
  • El código del dinero
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more

News & Interviews

“A dream worth pursuing is a picture and blueprint of a person's purpose and potential” 40 likes
“THE RIGHT AND WRONG PICTURE OF A DREAM I’ve studied successful people for almost forty years. I’ve known hundreds of high-profile people who achieved big dreams. And I’ve achieved a few dreams of my own. What I’ve discovered is that a lot of people have misconceptions about dreams. Take a look at many of the things that people pursue and call dreams in their lives: Daydreams—Distractions from Current Work Pie-in-the-Sky Dreams—Wild Ideas with No Strategy or Basis in Reality Bad Dreams—Worries that Breed Fear and Paralysis Idealistic Dreams—The Way the World Would Be If You Were in Charge Vicarious Dreams—Dreams Lived Through Others Romantic Dreams—Belief that Some Person Will Make You Happy Career Dreams—Belief that Career Success Will Make You Happy Destination Dreams—Belief that a Position, Title, or Award Will Make You Happy Material Dreams—Belief that Wealth or Possessions Will Make You Happy If these aren’t good dreams—valid ones worthy of a person’s life—then what are? Here is my definition of a dream that can be put to the test and pass: a dream is an inspiring picture of the future that energizes your mind, will, and emotions, empowering you to do everything you can to achieve it.” 3 likes