Start by marking “Mixed Blessings” as Want to Read:
Mixed Blessings

Mixed Blessings

Charlie Winwood dreams of a house filled with childre
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published May 30th 2006 by Dell (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mixed Blessings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mixed Blessings

Suzanne
In usual DS fashion, I enjoyed an easy read, three intertwining stories of couples and their different experience of infertility. Nothing at all challenging, but still lots of moments when I felt close to the characters, and cared about what happened to them.
An Aussie Book Nerd
I have been a fan of the movie for years and years. I love all the Danielle Steel movies to be honest which makes is so strange that I haven’t read the books! Now after reading the book, I can say that I loved both versions. Of course, the movie has a time limit so I can always understand why books a something different to the book. But I loved the movie that much already, that when I read the book and loved the whole story even more because there were bits in there that didn’t happen in the mov ...more
Marla
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Three couples living charmed lives in California marry on the same day. The couples are diffrent ages and backgrounds but all face the decision about having children. This will test their ties as partners and friends. They go through stormy times, tears, withdrawal, and bitterness. Their lives, goals and their feelings about family are on the line before coming to a happy ending. Many twists and surprises. I did not like this book as much as others she has written.
Julie Hoffpauir
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book seriously depressed me...Three different couples, three different types of lifestyles and ages, three different ways to feel about the couples..

I felt a lot of rage toward Diana and how she treated Andy when all he was trying to do was help. I cried for poor Charlie because of that witch Barb he married. I felt so heartbroken for Pilar and Brad because of her decided so late in her life to have a child and then the heartbreak after...but I enjoyed the story a lot.
Cheryl
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I actually skipped parts of this book. There were actually three stories involved and I was not reading Pilar and Brad's part. Lol. I did enjoy the every-now-and-then twisty moments in the novel though. And Danielle Steel really proves to be an author who can produce such heart-warming stories. It's a lovely tale that lets you believe that blessings are everywhere if we just stop and try to take a look at them.
Robin
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I Love this story...I've read this book many times. It reminds me of my own infertility troubles and those of others. Reading it this time, I was touched by Charlies story of growing up in an orphanage and finally aging out and not being adopted because of his asthma. I've often thought of adoption and maybe one day that is a road we will travel.
Narmadharayaru
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Nice book, Danielle expressed the feeling of of the couple who are longing for the baby and the happiness when it arrives. She captured each moments of the couples around this title. It never looks like story..its all collection of real incidents in most of the life
Jenn Mull
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
This seems like a pretty standard story—characters are introduced, disaster strikes, but in the end [mostly] everything turns out okay. It was a combination of three separate stories of couples dealing with the decision, and ability, to have kids. Overall, the story was interesting; it was an easy read. I was mildly surprised that the stories never collided, but of course, that's not really an issue.

As for Danielle's writing—awful, repetitive, simple, and uneducated. My biggest problem was her e
Soumi
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every since I was a teenager in the mid 90s I used to write down the date of finishing a book, add location and time [in secs]. I guess I was paving the way for my goodreads account to be so accurate.

One of those books is this one.

I marked it for few months as to read, since I forgot part of the plot, but then decided against doing that, since the topic is not interesting to me at this time.

Danielle Steel was my top favorite author growing up, and Palamino is still one of my all time favs.
Ann
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: danielle-steel
This is one of my most favorite novels by this author. On a beautiful Southern California day, three couples get married.
What will they do, concerning starting or adding to their family? Available from the national Library service. The lifetime movie for this book was pretty good.
Mary
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this novel as I do all Danielle Steel novels!!!

I love all of Danielle's novels. She really knows how to weave a story. It as sad and a happy ending too. I will read all of Danielle's novels.
Connlou Ross
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
(c)1992 The main theme of the book was family, marriage, infidelity, love and understanding. Characters from lawyers, actress, judge and housewives. A very touching book when it broached on topics such as problems having a child.
Lorelle
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Danielle Steele writes a book that I could not put down.

Three families, three total different circumstances, one amazing outcome.
Sana Merchant
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I couldn’t complete. It was like reading a ‘how to conceive’ book.
Alex
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Really Enjoyed This One!
Sylvia
I loved this book!! great story!! love this author's books!!
Iolanda
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I read this years ago, probably my favourite of hers, it kicked me in the feels a lot.
Heather
Tina
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book
Maggie Curry
What I call a "comfort read," this was a book in which the characters go through various issues and resolutions before meeting the end they all deserve. Steel covered some difficult topics in this novel, yet made them relatable. I was a little disappointed in the editing, but other than that, it was a good book.
Tammy
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This book is about three different couple who are at different stages in their life that face fertility problems.

Diana and her husband are a newly married young couple that want to start a family right away. Months go by without any success o Diana goe to a fertility clinic and testing shows why she can't have children. It puts a heavy toll on their new marriage. Diana's sisters and fiends and workers are all having babies and that adds more stress to her already stressfull situation. Her husba
Kris - My Novelesque Life
2 STARS

"After the wedding of Diana Goode and Andrew Douglas, Diana teases that they will make a baby on their honeymoon. But long afterward, she is still not pregnant. As Diana and Andrew wait out each month only to be bitterly disappointed, they are forced to question just how much they are willing to go through to have a baby.

Charlie Winwood dreams of a house filled with children. His bride, party-girl actress Barbie Mason, has other ideas. When he discovers he is sterile, Charlie has to reth
Dee Cyr
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very slow and introduced too many people at one time in the beginning. Long chapters. Ok at the end. Was surprised I bothered to finish it
Kristen
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
If you didn't see the 1990s TV movie version or want to read or read the print book, Mixed Blessings was about three families and their hope and prayers to start one. In this romance, we meet Diana Goode and Andrea Douglas, a newlywed couple who want to start a family right away. After a couple of devastating heartbreaks when it didn't happen, they wonder what would it take for them to have a baby. For Charlie Winwood, he wanted a happy home filled with children. But when he realized he was ster ...more
Redfox5
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, usa, fiction
After reading two so-so Steel books, I wasn't particularly excited about picking up this one. Thankfully, I was surprised with this one and found myself really enjoying it. It had that page turning quality, where I needed to find out what happened next. The plot follows three couples that want to have a baby but are struggling. I found myself genuinely caring about these characters and was getting emotional when tragedy hit. The book, in true chick-lit style gave us a happy ending which I was pl ...more
Sai Pramod Inguva
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Unless you want to take a peek at the overly-dramatized lives of people who can't have kids and shed tears for the miseries they put themselves through because of it, you don't find this one a great read. Nevertheless this book definitely carries the scent of a woman (author), which gives a touch of reality to the plot. At no point you'll find the book fascinating but then again you don't get bored at any stage that's just enough to make you move through the pages.It's not completely bad though, ...more
Meryan
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is about 3 couple trying to get pregnant.Diana and Andy,a newlywed couple who keep trying and find out her tubes ate blocked and they can't retrive her eggs.It almost ends op breaking them up.The other one is a guy named Charlie,who wants to start a family badly.He was an orphan and never got adopted because he had asthma.He marries a woman who finally tells him she's pregnant,but he knows it can't be his because he just went to the Dr.and found out he's sterile.They end up splitting u ...more
Thanh Thủy
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
The first half of the book wasn't of much interest to me. At first, the story seemed ordinary, easy to find like many other movies, love stories. However, the twists which came in the last chapters of the book were really touching and inspiring to read. The fate of the characters was so unpredictable,joy and sadness, laughter and tears, happiness and agony, all are blended. So many changes, pains the couples went through, which made, in the end, life truly mixed blessings.
This book would make a
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Danielle Steel Bo...: Mixed Blessings 2 12 Jul 28, 2013 03:12PM

• The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • A Certain Smile
  • Kentucky Rich
  • Masquerade
  • Reunion: Once More With Feeling / Treasures Lost, Treasures Found
  • First Born
  • Wages of Sin
  • Climb The Highest Mountain (Savage Destiny, #5)
  • Love in Another Town
  • A Heart Speaks
  • Lovers
  • Doing Good
  • All We Hold Dear (Victorian Trilogy, #2)
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more