Start by marking “A Christmas Mystery” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Mystery

A Christmas Mystery

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Then these three wise, lonely, childless men who, in furtherance of their own greatness, had cut themselves adrift from the sweet and simple things of life and from the kindly ways of their brethren, and had grown old in unhappy and profitless wisdom, knew that an inscrutable Providence had led them, as it had led three Wise Men of old, on a Christmas morning long ago, to ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1910)

To ask other readers questions about A Christmas Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Christmas Mystery

Lorraine Montgomery
This is a Christmas short story taking place in the early 1900s in England with three totally different wise men. Written by Wm. J. Locke (1863 - 1930), this is a delightful tale so totally appropriate for this season and full of surprises.

The story begins outside a bookstall at Paddington Station, as three rather grumpy curmudgeons meet up to discover they have all been invited to the same place for Christmas, a place called Foulis Castle owned by the Deverills, a couple each of the three knows
Lora
A fine story for Christmas, a short read of maybe twenty minutes. It's soft, it's sentimental, it's about hope and humility, it evokes those beautiful soft quiet Christmas evenings with snow outside and plenty of colored lights inside, the scent of cookies and the sound of family. I recommend it for anyone looking for a Christmas story they haven't read yet-- although as they read it, they'll recognize it fast enough, which is part of the story. In a way, you the reader become part of the story ...more
Frank
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One has to read at least one Christmas story during Advent. This was an interesting one of three wise men who met by accident and found out they were all going to visit the same person for Christmas. They took a journey to a distant place in England and this adventure resulted in the birth of a male child on Christmas day that change all three of their lives. It is a short read and worth the time.
France-Andrée
Three men travel to a country house for Christmas, but because of their car breaking down, they have to wait in a little hovel for rescuing. I don't want to say anymore or I'll give too much of the story away... I think the title is a big hint on what happens. It wasn't very complex and I didn't find the writing or the story outstanding, it is standard Christmas fare... not even heartwarming in my opinion. I think this can be skip without anything missing in your litterature's knowledge.
Judy
I just read Silas Marner, and now this one. Coincidental. Here we meet 3 learned, older bachelors, rather curmudgeonly, who find themselves on a train heading out into the snowy outback of England. That sets the scene for all kinds of possibilities.
Steve
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I ran across the 1910 illustrated edition while rummaging through the Univ. of WI library and am surprised to see it still in print. I would rate this as a "nice little Christmas miracle story", but nothing special. Except the irony of the title, because it tells how they became wise.
Karen Zelano
A Short Christmas Tale

I loved the classical nature of this short story. The language and plot kept me entertained and curious. Even as the parable ended as expected, it left me with the true Spirit of Christmas.
Clifton McLendon
Quite a story!

This mystery's style reminds me of Melville Davisson Post, or perhaps Jacques Futrelle, or even G.K. Chesterton. The action moves in jerks, and the reader is not given the whole picture until the end ...
Karen Zelano
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lisa
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a short story but well written. I liked it enough to look for other books / stories by this author.
Sabine789
i am sure i read it last year but obviously i forgot the whole subject ;) so i let it free to your desire to read it or not.
Chris
Jan 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle free book - three highly educated men are thrown together, a newborn is involved ... it's Christmas time ... it's not very good.
Wanda Nolt
Feb 23, 2013
Jaime
Dec 24, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: "A Christmas Mystery" by William John Locke 1 1 Dec 29, 2013 11:50AM