Start by marking “A Senhora da Magia (As Brumas de Avalon, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Senhora da Magia (As Brumas de Avalon, #1)

A Senhora da Magia

(The Mists of Avalon #1)

Fascínio é o termo exacto para caracterizar esta obra apaixonante baseada num tema que há séculos vem fazendo sonhar gerações e gerações: a lenda do Rei Artur e dos Cavaleiros da Távola Redonda. Ainda que pouco ou nada se saiba sobre mitos, rituais mágicos e esoterismo, deste livro ninguém sai intacto. Página após página, apodera-se do leitor um único desejo: o de continua ...more
Published 1999 by Difel (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about A Senhora da Magia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Senhora da Magia

Karen’s Library
This first book of The Mists of Avalon tells the story from the women's POV of the beginning of the Arthurian legend. Igraine, daughter of Avalon, meets Uther Pendragon and gives birth to a boy later known as King Arthur. This book is told from Igraine's, Viviane's (high priestess of Avalon), and Morgaine's (half sister of Arthur, a priestess of Avalon) POV. Excalibur enters the story, along with the crowning of Arthur as High King of Brittania.
Alexia Moon
I just finished re-reading this book and there are a lot of feelings. First and foremost: I love Vivianne. Despite being portrayed as an "evil" character and someone who has no respect for the will and life of others, I quite like her. Priesthood implies sacrifice, always. It is thus in Paganism, Christianity and in any religion in which a Priesthood is carried out, it is necessary, even if we do not want and do not like it.

Morgaine, on the other hand, even though she has been raised in Avalon
Diana Marques
It took me quite a while to start reading this series, mainly because my MA dissertation focuses on arthurian literature written in the middle ages, so I didn't want my mind to be "contaminated" by modern approaches on the legend. But now that my work is almost done, I decided that it was time to read this classic. And how i loved it!

The main novelty in this series is the retelling of the arthurian legend from the point of view of women which, in my opinion, were fundamental in all the main eve
Christian McKay
Here, I've got the finish line in sight and I'm thinking of giving up. I realize how reprehensible that is, but here's the thing: I'm really, really, reallyreallyreally bored.

It started so wonderfully. Pagan faiths trembling at the rise of Christianity and how that affects the women of the Arthurian legend. Brilliant ingredients. But the story moves a glacial crawl and Bradley's language is a touch too lax for my taste. There remains a level of intrigue, but up against the pile of patient books
Joana Silva
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, fantasy, historical
review coming soon
J.souza
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasia
So, my review will count for every volume of the series.

I've always heard that this was like "Lord Of The Rings" for women- I say women, because this is definitely not for little girls-, and I can see why through one point: it's fantasy for women.

After reading all of the four books, I think that the most amazing think about the author it's how she wrote about the Arthurian lengends that we all have heard of, through a totally different perspective: the eyes of women in a fantastic Middle Age, wh
Vincent Wood
Back when I was in high school I often would take a visit in the local bookstore every time I went to the mall. This was a book I often saw on the shelf, but never picked it up.

While browsing the audio books available at my local library, I saw it and decided to give it a try. I am certainly knowledgeable of the Arthurian legend, perhaps more than the average bear. However, there is certainly a lot more for me to learn of it and I figured this book would be a great way to learn it.

In case you do
A Miuda Geek
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have read this many years ago - when i was 19, 20 years - and it was one of the most compelling readings i have ever had.

I loved Morgaine, although she was a bit tortuous and devious, i hated Guinevere as i thought her weak and feeble and in any instance, she brought down the Pendragon dynasty, with her love affair with Lancelot and was mesmerized byt The Lady of Avalon.

This was my intro to fantasy and i loved every bit of it.
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Truth be told, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I like the beginning well enough where it focused on Igraine, but later MZB let her creeper flag fly. It started with Lancelot's introduction to Guinevere, who was a little girl lost in the woods. The incest parts also were pretty creepy, and not in a good, entertaining way - more like in "what the fuck is wrong with you" kind of way.
Miguel van der Garde
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
What an amazing book!!looking foward to read the other ones!! Thanks for recommending it to me Joana
Petros
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mists of Avalon is a fine series of books, as long as you know what exactly you are getting yourself into: A sociopolitical soap opera retelling of the Arthurian legend, with heavy doses of feminism. If you don’t fulfill that exact prerequisite, then you won’t be amazed by it, because the pacing is glacial, and there is not much tension or scenes of epic battles and high-spirited monologues about chivalry. It’s mostly people talking about politics and religion, and occasionally plotting for ...more
Inês Braz
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
The first time I read the trilogy, in my teens, I really enjoyed it It was different from everything I had ever read, and my first contact whit the autor. From there, I read almost every thing written by her.

It's a good book, but didn't quite survive a rereading years later.
I found myself bored during the reading, and didn't connect with the characters as I remember doing years ago. It was like I was in a limbo, not emotionally involved in the story, even in the most 'desperate' parts of it.
Doug Peters
This is hard to judge independently of the rest of the series, but it was enjoyable enough. The plot was oddly unsatisfying and there didn't seem to be a point in having this story exist independently of the subsequent books, though. That said, this fantasy world is intriguing (and slightly familiar). I especially like the emphasis on religion as a driving force of the world's shape, not just characters' actions.
Jean Jørge
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The Mists of Avalon is probably one of the best books I've read this year so far. It's the perfect book for those who knows about the King Arthur tales because now we find out more unrevealed details. It is very well written. The original story is to tell the story but with the women vision, and the work is perfect. It shows the women involved in the happenings. This book is always a good choice.
Karen
I would have enjoyed actually reading this more than I did listening to it. It is very long! I didn't like this nearly as much as I did when I originally read it (probably near when it came out), but that says more about me than it does about the book. I read lots of Arthur books as a child/teenager. I'm going to finish the series in print and see how it plays out.
Erica Fraser
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Love that it was written about Arthur from a female perspective. And a strong one at that!
Lara
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
18 years after my first read and I still find it excellent. Fascinating and wonderfully written.
Sofia
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Around the Year in 52 Books, Week 10: A book featuring an historical figure (King Arthur)
Izabèla Kolar Furjan
English:
Check out this book on Goodreads: Mists Of Avalon http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66...
Leani
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
Light but fun read.
Kelley  C
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed!
Meredith
I know this book was groundbreaking in 1979. And for that I appreciate it and all that it did for the idea of female characters in fantasy. However, there are some serious flaws in characterization that are making me leery of continuing only to find myself frustrated.

Mainly my beef is with how Igraine is portrayed. Prior to marrying Uther, she is an interesting woman. Complex, conflicted, particularly about the role she learns that she is to have in the greater picture. She also struggles with w
Regina Cattus
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read French books before, but this was the first time I've read a longer book all in one go (without reading other books in-between) and I think it was a good choice. I didn't realise when I bought it that it was the second book in a series, but luckily this made perfect sense despite that, leaving me wondering what could have been in the first book.
I watched the BBC series "Merlin" when that was running, too, which undoubtedly helped me work out what was going on... right? Well, much as it
Donna
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-audiobook
The Mist of Avalon is the story of the adventures of Camelot's court through the eyes of the women who bolstered the king's rise and schemed for his fall.

The audio version of this BIG book is divided into 4 books, book 1 is the Mistress of Magic. Here we meet the Lady of the Lake - Viviane - and Merlin - who brings about the marriage of her younger sister, Igraine, to Uther Pendragon. This union produces their one and only child, Arthur. We also meet Morgaine, Igraine's daughter by her first ma
Maggie
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
i've always appreciated the king arthur legend(s) and have a fondness for merlin since a young woman when i read mary stewart's the crystal cave. in 1983 i read marion zimmer bradley's the mists of avalon and totally enjoyed it. she is an excellent story teller and at her hands the arthur legends take on a special aura. so this book is highly recommended. i cannot imagine a better summer read for women and girls of any age.

what i am unclear about, however, is that the original (?) mists of aval
Melanie
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The first thing I should say about this book is: if you have the opportunity, read the original English book rather than the Portuguese translation. The amount of grammatical errors in the Portuguese version of the book just ruins mood.

Regarding the book... well, I must say that it wasn't the best thing I have ever read, but it was more than I expected. I wasn't very familiar with King Arthur's story and I feel that I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I knew more about it. In spite of that and
Priscilla
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been hungry for some Bechdel-tastic media lately, and this was exactly what I needed. Marion Zimmer Bradley took an overwhelmingly male-dominant story and breathed life, personality, and agency into the female characters, giving them just as much influence over the course of history as the great heroes of Arthurian legend.

I know most fantasy readers discover this book much earlier than I did (I'm 27). Indeed, my high school librarian recommended it to me, but I read Bradley's "The Firebran
Keeley
I'm actually reading the Mists of Avalon series...not listening to the audio book. According to my ever knowledgeable sister- this is a must read for any female fan of fantasy, and I suppose any female-loving male fan of fantasy. It is the story of the lives of the women (or womyn) of King Arthur, the mysteries of the Land of Avalon and the Goddess, priestesses, Druids, and the Merlin of Britian. It gives a new perspective on the well-known fictional history of the era, and reminds us that women ...more
Raquel Soares
4.4. I really enjoy this, I love the charcters, how they grow and transform with the story.I love Morgaine I really identified with her, and that's strange because I think originally she was the villian in the story.I totally ship Morgaine and Lancelet,that need to happen.I also like to see the point of view of Igraine (Arthur's mother) and how I really like her in the beginning and how I pass to hater when I start to see her in other P.O.V .I want to read the next of the series,I'm exciting to ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Demanda do Visionário (A Saga do Assassino #5)
  • O Cavaleiro de Westeros & Outras Histórias
  • O Dardo de Kushiel (Kushiel, #1)
  • A Voz dos Deuses
  • O Crepúsculo dos Elfos (A Trilogia dos Elfos, #1)
  • A Sacerdotisa dos Penhascos (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #6)
  • Presságios de Inverno (Acácia, #2)
  • Rosa, Minha Irmã Rosa
  • O Filho de Thor - Volume 2 (Saga das Ilhas Brilhantes, #1.2)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham

The Mists of Avalon (4 books)
  • The High Queen (The Mists of Avalon, #2)
  • The King Stag  (The Mists of Avalon, #3)
  • The Prisoner in the Oak (The Mists of Avalon, #4)