Start by marking “Bad News (Dortmunder, #10)” as Want to Read:
Bad News (Dortmunder, #10)

Bad News

(Dortmunder #10)

John Dortmunder doesn't like manual labor. So when he gets the offer of money to dig up a grave, he balks . . . then he wonders why Fitzroy Guilderpost, criminal mastermind, wants to pull a switcheroo of two 70-years-dead Indians.
Published February 26th 2002 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Bad News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad News

Start your review of Bad News (Dortmunder, #10)
fleurette
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, thieves
I've always had a soft spot for thieves and the heist stories are what I love the most. Maybe I didn't expect to like this story so much, although I don't really know why. Everything I've always liked is here. But perhaps the most surprised I was that I hadn't read any of this author's can’t wait to do it.

I enjoyed so many things in this book. A complex plot, this whole idea of a crime, but probably mostly complicated and multi-dimensional characters. It is the characters that make me look forwa
David
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: noirboiled
An excellent Dortmunder in which Westlake succumbs to his weakness for low-hanging fruit only when he has to name law firms. (Kleinberg, Rhineberg, Steinberg, Weinberg & Klatsch, anyone?) This time out, Dortmunder helps to create a false heir to 1/3 of an Indian casino, and much of the fun is the route by which he ends up participating in this job that is far from his usual line of (illegal) work. While Bad News lacks the (surprising) gravitas of some of the preceding novels in the series, by th ...more
Robert
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: x2019-20-season
Closer in spirit to the early novels, but the madcap sense is really missing, and the seeming need to shoehorn in recurring gags, inside jokes and callbacks is a drag on the tale.
Edward Weiss
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OK, perhaps none of the Dortmunder novels can be considered 5-star, but I still love 'em!
Mike
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone

Although Bad News is the tenth novel in the Dortmunder series, I accidentally read it after the 11th, The Road to Ruin. As I noted in that book’s review, John et al do not seem to age, but their world does advance along with our own. So, in this book, we have the technologically-astute Andy Kelp using the Internet (when he still can’t convince John to get a kitchen extension for his landline.) In fact the Internet is how John and Andy get involved with the main story arc. More on that in a momen
Anthony
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
John Dortmunder, robber, finds himself, along with his friend Andy Kelp in a con game put together by a master manipulator Fitzroy Guilderpost, that Andy met on the internet. Will John Dortmunder find his way in and around this hustle and score some much needed income, or will it be a dose of bad news? Donald E. Westlake spins a yarn of inept criminal behavior that brings the laughs as always.
Nan Silvernail
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dortmunder and his crew run into another team of people doing an interesting thing. The interesting thing is to try to pass off a Native American Las Vegas showgirl as the last of a tribe. Why? To horn in on the considerable profits of a Northeast casino that two tribes run, the third tribe being extinct.
Exactly how they have it planned out interests Dortmunder, whose keen criminal mind is challenged and vexed by this pretty problem.
Be sure to bring Lawyers, Guns and Money because on this chil
Ann McReynolds
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this caper, like all the other Dortmunders, and agree with Mike’s review except my rating is a 5 just for the quick thinking that extricates Archibald John Dortmunder from the optician’s shop, the police and back to his faithful May.
Mike
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun! A classic example of Donald E. Westlake's humorous crime fiction – more caper story than classic style mystery – with plenty of unexpected turns as the story progresses.

This is the second book I've read in the Dortmunder series. Wasn't crazy about the first (Drowned Hopes — Dortmunder #7) but I’ve always been a fan of Westlake’s other work so I decided to give the series another try. So glad I did.

At first things go unusually well for Dortmunder and crew (at one point Dortmunder act
John  Bellamy
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I should probably pay more attention to my older brother's book recommendations,although I must add that my younger brother rarely pays attention to mine. After decades of nagging by the former sibling I finally broke down this year and started reading both Donald Westlake's Dortmunder boooks and the Parker series he wrote under the name of Richard Stark. "Bad News," the 10th of the Dortmunder capers is where I began and I'll be reading the rest of them as soon as humanely possible. Lots of writ ...more
Ed
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery, humor, crime
#10 in the John Dortmunder series. Finalist 2002 Barry Award for Best Novel.

#10 - John Dortmunder series - Andy Kelp, Tiny Bulcher and the Murches (Stan and Mom) join Dortmunder in horning in on another crew's scam—cheating two Native American tribes out of one-third of the take from a lucrative Indian casino in upstate New York. Fitzroy Guilderpost, mastermind of the con, has enlisted Little Feather Redcorn, a Las Vegas card dealer and showgirl, to pose as the last living member of an extinct
Larry
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Dortmunder and his odd group of friends get involved with some bad people, and find themselves digging up a grave and exchanging bodies as a result. That sounds like a good plot hook, but the dim powers of analysis possessed by Dortmunder and his pals puts them in bad situations almost automatically. The book's good start is typical Dortmunder: superior B&E skills stymied by failure to case the alarm system adequately lead to a situation in which Dortmunder has to achieve near brilliance to get ...more
Susan Katz
John Dortmunder is one of my all-time favorite characters. When I found this book for the first time, I rushed home, joyfully chortling, "I got Bad News! I got Bad News!" to face the twin flummoxed/alarmed stares of husband and son. When I explained that it was a Dortmunder book, their relieved comprehension was palpable. This time around, the book brought me no less joy and amusement than the first time.
Steve Millman
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
not a bad book but not great either. The characters in the Dortmunder books always seem a bit flat to me.
Lynn
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Amusing. The characters are all scamps living in a world unto themselves. The author brings the reader along for many a wild ride with the appealing crew.
Jazzy
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a prime example of why I don't like to quit on books too soon. A few pages in, this felt like a smart alec version of one of those smart alec detective shows on USA Network. I felt the novel would be tolerable at best, excruciating otherwise.

300 pages later, this ended up being a very good read. I laughed more than I would want to admit. The crime part of this caper novel was interesting, the camaraderie of the teammates was just right, the double crosses were unfortunate but entert
Jon
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A pretty good entry into the Dortmunder series. In this one the boys get involved in an already hatched scheme to get Little Feather Redcorn, a former Las Vegas showgirl, recognized as the last surviving member of a tribe with part ownership in a lucrative casino in upstate New York. One unexpected obstacle after another, each more problematic than the last. But the plot seemed a bit disjointed, and the doling out of poetic justice in the end wasn't quite what I would have liked.
Andrew Cowen
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! My previous association with a Westlake book (the lame "Somebody Owes Me Money") didn't turn out as well. This was my first Dortmunder book and I plan to read others in the series. "Bad News" is great news for people who just want to laugh during these crazy mixed-up times. Highly recommended!
Twistedtexas
Aug 24, 2020 rated it liked it
6/10 - The novel opens with hapless Dortmunder stuck mid-robbery in a big-box store with a mass of cops and security guards closing in on him. It is one of funniest scenes of all the Westlake novels I have read. The remainder of the novel is good, but does not maintain that initial rush. Overall, it's an enjoyable entry in the Dortmunder series.
Diogenes
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Starts out with a short tale of a failed robbery that's worth the price of the book alone and keeps getting better as the main plot develops with a cast of picturesque characters, double crosses, ironic comeuppances and a a judge who sees all crimes as stupidity. A totally enjoyable read.
Philip Gross
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining

I chose this book because it was available for download from my library. As it turns out I was very entertained reading it. Crazy characters and a wild story line adds up to a good read. I intend to read more Westlake titles in the near future.
Mary Newcomb
A Dortmunder tale is always entertaining and slightly felonious, this is no exception. The main scam becomes a bit confused due to the presence of some other pranksters. However, John and his string do their best to resolve all in their favor.
Mahesh Phadke
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Westlake in his elements. :) The book loses grip in the middle, but still a 5 star book for me.
Frank
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Excellent silly Dortmunder book
Alonzo Church
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Funny. Well plotted. 100 pages too long.
Debra
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Professional thief John Dortmunder has serious doubts about his friend Andy’s latest caper. It involves three strangers and a huge scam, which isn’t John’s area of expertise. But the payoff will be great, and since John bungled his last theft attempt he needs cash.

Bad News is a delightful cozy that had me cheering for the bad guys because John, Andy, and their cohort Tiny are fun characters. The secondary characters are also appealing and quirky, although some are a little two dimensional. But t
Jonah
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Joyce
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
On to the next one ...
Bonnie
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bad News is just darn likeable. There’s no better way to describe it. It’s like that guy who everybody seems to be friends with and you can’t really say anything bad about him because he’s just so likeable. And you like him, too, you know? Almost despite yourself. Bad News is that. It’s not mind-blowing, but the story is certainly original and unpredictable. Westlake doesn’t display an utter mastery of the English language that makes your brain feel small, unworthy yet simultaneously like you’re ...more
Mark Durst
Sep 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Donald Westlake's Dortmunder books are a series every bit as delightful as P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves books. There's no need to read them sequentially, and in fact he took a while to get his style for these books entirely in line.

Caution, Donald Westlake wrote more books, and more series of books, than anyone. Well, maybe not more than Zane Grey. So you need to check them to see whether they're Dortmunder books. Some of his others are fine (and some aren't; he wrote a lot of trash just to pay the b

• Flashfire (Parker, #19)
  • Slayground (Parker, #14)
  • Comeback (Parker, #17)
  • Naked Came the Florida Man (Serge A. Storms #23)
  • The Burglar on the Prowl (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #10)
  • The Cocktail Waitress
  • A Small Town: A Novel of Crime
  • Hit List (Stone Barrington, #53)
  • The Sour Lemon Score (Parker, #12)
  • Nobody Runs Forever (Parker, #22)
  • Abigél
  • Backflash (Parker, #18)
  • The Dante Club (The Dante Club #1)
  • The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #3)
  • The Peppermint Tea Chronicles (44 Scotland Street, #13)
  • Shakespeare for Squirrels
  • New Hope for the Dead (Hoke Mosely #2)
  • The Burglar Who Traded Ted Williams (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #6)
Donald E. Westlake (1933-2008) was one of the most prolific and talented authors of American crime fiction. He began his career in the late 1950's, churning out novels for pulp houses—often writing as many as four novels a year under various pseudonyms such as Richard Stark—but soon began publishing under his own name. His most well-known characters were John Dortmunder, an unlucky thief, and a ru ...more

Dortmunder (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Hot Rock (Dortmunder, #1)
  • Bank Shot (Dortmunder, #2)
  • Jimmy The Kid (Dortmunder, #3)
  • Nobody's Perfect (Dortmunder, #4)
  • Why Me? (Dortmunder, #5)
  • Good Behavior (Dortmunder, #6)
  • Drowned Hopes (Dortmunder, #7)
  • Don't Ask (Dortmunder, #8)
  • What's The Worst That Could Happen? (Dortmunder, #9)
  • The Road To Ruin (Dortmunder, #11)