Start by marking “To Distraction (Bastion Club, #5)” as Want to Read:
To Distraction (Bastion Club, #5)

To Distraction (Bastion Club #5)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  4,055 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
The fifth bachelor of the Bastion Club has proved his courage while fighting England's enemies, but nothing has prepared him for that most formidable of challenges: the opposite sex.

Deverell, Viscount Paignton, is in desperate need of a wife. Unmoved by the matchmaking herd, he seeks help from his eccentric aunt Audrey. She directs him to her goddaughter, Miss Phoebe Malle
Published 2006 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about To Distraction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Distraction

Treece
Rating: 5 stars

Deverell and Phoebe rock! Loved this book and this couple. I got a kick in how it tied into the last Cynster book I read which takes place years after this duo become involved.

Laurens addresses areas that are near and dear to me, particularly ones concerning the exploitation women face in society and how we can make a difference.

Can't wait to read the next installment of the Bastion Club.
boogenhagen
So Phoebe and Dev were my second favorite, mainly cause Phoebe was just awesome and Dev let her be awesome and that was just soooo romantic and adorable and I was feeling the love...

Plus we get some Malcolm Sinclair and tho he really needed a skillet whack or sixty, I still kinda like the guy.
Kit★
Was going to wait, but went ahead and picked this one up anyway. Googled around until I found a guy who could fit my idea of Deverell, and decided upon Eric Belanger (view spoiler).
3.5 Stars! Ok, finally getting down to getting this review written. Life's been getting in the way of my reading and writing of reviews, hate it when that happens :p
I liked this one pretty well. I thought the mystery was sort of slow to develop. It didn't really become a big focus of the story until
Wench
Dear romance writers: when a woman makes it abundantly clear she's not interested in marriage or courtship, and in fact calls the hero a threat and is shivering in fear at him, and he's GOING TO PURSUE HER ANYWAY BY GAD, that's not romance, that's stalking. Abuse. Non-consensual. STOP WRITING THIS.
Eme
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
¡2,5 ESTRELLAS!

Esta serie de libros se caracteriza por mezclar perfectamente el romance y el misterio. La relación entre los personajes se desarrolla a través de la trama de misterio que sirve de hilo conductor y ambas partes se complementan muy bien.

Pues bien, esta novela la he visto más floja que las anteriores. La trama de misterio no está bien perfilada y permanece ausente hasta prácticamente la mitad de la novela. Esto ha dado como resultado que la historia de amor me haya parecido un poco
Chitra *CJ*
"To Distraction" is the story of Phoebe and Deverell.
The plot is simple: Deverell wants a wife. His aunt suggests Phoebe. Phoebe is a spinster with mission and doesnt want marriage. Deverell seduces her. Phoebe is seduced. Oh and marriage.
Ofcourse, since its a Bastion Club novel we have a secondary story of a mystery, and loads of sexy pre-marital lovemaking- but overall, for me the plot was a bit repetative.
I liked how the hero dealt with the heroine's "fear",as well as all the midnight encount
D.L.
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a Stephanie Lauren's fan.
My Take:
In general, I am not I Stephanie Laurens reader, but in the past, I have liked a few of her Cynster novels. However, To Distraction did not nearly live up to the previous novels I have read.

The plot itself was decent, even good. I enjoyed the dramatic climax, the various turns of events, and the not overly drawn out suspense. Nevertheless, it was not enough to make up for all the things which grated on my nerves until I was ready to rip pages from the book.

If you’re like me, drop this b
Bronwyn Rykiert
In Laurens fifth novel of "Bastion Club" series Lord Jocelyn Deverell, Viscount Paignton has avoided matrimony long enough. The club was originally formed by a cadre of former spies to evade the matchmaking mamas of the ton allowing it's members to choose their own brides, at their own pace. Now Deverell is ready but has come to his unconventional favorite aunt Audrey for insights into where he might find a suitable bride. Naturally, she was waiting for him to ask and had the ideal candidate; on ...more
Maura
Hazel
Sep 03, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The past week or two, I've been seeking distraction because of pressure at work. This historical romance novel didn't do it. I think I may have read this before, or perhaps it's just that this author writes the same story and the same characters every time. The hero is always an uber-dominant alpha male, an aristocrat, perhaps a soldier or a spy who is used to shaping his environment, objects and people to his own ends. For social/practical reasons he decides to marry, but can't bear the usual o ...more
Gbina
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-regency
Ugh. Typical Stephanie Laurens. Stephanie Laurens use to be one of my favorite authors (especially when I first started reading her), but now her books are all running together and basically the same. And WAAAY too long.

It's sad, because I usually enjoy the beginning of the book. Getting to know the characters, enjoying the sexual tension, delving into the story line, etc. But then the characters start participating in sex acts* and from then on it is nothing but 15-20 page sex scenes with mayb
Helene Harrison
Review - I am really itching to know how they find out who Royce really is. In this particular book, To Distraction I did really love Paignton, although it did take me a while to warm to Phoebe. I don't really know why but I just didn't really like her. I do tend to feel unsatisfied at the beginning of Stephanie Laurens's novels. They don't tend to become very gripping until about halfway through. In a lot of ways the women in the Bastion Club novels are too similar. I think Lauren's needs to ...more
Shlana Sims
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is so satisfying to read a book where the hero knows almost immediately that he wants the heroine. Often in romance the hero is so clueless to his own feelings that it takes the near death experience of the heroine to make him come up to scratch.

The Bastian Club books are not like that. THe heroes know who they want and wage a campaign to get her to know it as well. The key is that they don't just seduce and let thier sexual prowess do it all, they value her outside the bed and show how they
Clare
Apr 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I normally love Stephanie Laurens books. I could sit and read them back to back but this one, this one made me uncomfortable. So much so that I did not finish it.

The Hero made my skin crawl, and not in a good way. He actually turns into a bit of a stalker of the Heroine. Also at one point (this was the bit that made me wary) He gets angry at her when she panics after he pins her to a tree and restrains her. This is after only being acquainted for a few days.

Not for me I'm afraid. It's actually
LaFleurBleue
I rather liked the beginning of the book during the house party and the beginning of the mystery of the disappearing maids. However I was soon quite disappointed by the rather lukewarm romance between a less than charismatic hero, whose first name was never called once - a good sign that his inner persona was non-existent. And indeed he needed the heroine' cause to find himself a new raison d'etre. Their progressive entry to lovemaking also felt a bit too long, too detailed. The heroine was also ...more
Kirsti
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun Regency romance, although the hero was a little too manly and perfect for my taste. I much prefer them to have some kind of weakness, because utter perfection scares me, oddly enough. I did like the back story, away from the romance. There was other driving factors apart from the sex, which is always nice. I'm certain I've read a Bastion club novel before, but I'm not sure when since none of them come up on my read list. Maybe it was before I joined Goodreads? Eh, I don't know. A good rege ...more
Melissa
Backtracking the Malcolm Sinclair appearances - I think this is the first one. The major problem with Laurens's books is that if you read too many at one time they start to run together because the many (many) love scenes run together. Sort of a problem, although in this instance the H/h engaged in a bit of fantasy role-playing just for a change. Liked the evolution of the Athena Agency and the suspense plot.
Frances
Aug 01, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading two of these Bastion Club books, anyone could write one. Laurens gives new meaning to formulated writing. Lord Handsome meets Lady Beautiful, takes her on a step-by-step seduction, with a tiny little plot, not enough to hold the story together. Lady is kidnapped, Lord rescues her, and they live happily ever after as partners reaching for the sky and falling to earth as one. Ugh!!
Charlotte
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: period-romance
OMG this book was amazing!! I read it in about three days. As soon as I picked this up (which I did off spec in the library for something different) I couldn't put it down, I nearly missed my bus stop a couple of times because I was miles away!! It is full of sex, romance and a little mystery, well worth a read, so much so I am going to buy a copy to reread :)
Danette Steward
Another great book in the Bastion Club series!! What I like most about romance books is the "chase." Lauren's heroes are so alpha and won't leave you wanting in that area. Plots are well written and you don't ever want to put the book down until the last page!! Steamy romantic read.
Jaime
Mar 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Apt title. This book annoyed me To Distraction.
Ivana Azap Feješ
In this book there is the best description of seduction I have ever read!!! Deverel is the best! So... Let's just say that I approve this book ;)
Tina
Sep 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
God, NOW I know why I stopped reading Stephanie Laurens books! I can narrow it down to just a few words....

Repetitive
Boring
LONG
Predictable

That's the problem with most series that have too many stories. I remember liking Devil's Bride but then the rest of the Cynster stories became a repeat of each other. Same with the Bastion Club series. Seriously, don't know how this book has a 4* status. It drags on and on and on. I can't take her writing style.

Examples:

But....confused, he frowned at her.

He
Cruth
Author: Stephanie Laurens
First published: 2006
Length: 475 pages
Setting: London, 1816 (Regency).
Sex: Explicit. Frequent. Varied. Role-playing.
Almost Rape: (view spoiler)
Includes: Excerpt from The Taste of Innocence.

Book 5 and all
Jennifer Hevern
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed this whole series. Laurens writes strong-willed, lovely ladies and the gentlemen who can love them. To Distraction is no exception. Deverell & Phoebe's story is a steamy, banter-filled, romantic, story with great new characters and past favorites. A must read!
Angelica Morado
The main character of this story seems very intelligent as he plots to win his Lady which takes time, patience and enormous self control. I don’t think that the men of today could do this but it was entertaining and interesting.
Yanli
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
Mejor que la anterior :P
Holly
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story but a little long winded. I liked both main characters and the fact that Phoebe helps women out of bad situations regardless of class distinction and Deverell allows her to continue her work. I like that the hero pursues the heroine with all intents to marry her and doesn't give up on his quarry.
LailaBC
The fifth installment of the Bastion Club series follows the bride quest of Jocelyn Hubert Deverell, 7th Viscount of Paignton. He likes to be called Deverell which is good coz his real name is not that attractive. He enlisted the help of his unconventional and favorite aunt Audrey to look for a suitable bride one that suits his taste and needs. His aunt outright told him a specific name of a certain lady that she was on authority knows is the right woman for him. However Lady Phoebe Malleson is ...more
Marie
Bintang 3,5.
Buku ke5 seri Bation Club.

Bujangan ke5 anggota BC: Jocelyn Deverell Viscount Paignton.

Bosan dengan kehidupan yg kurang tantangan dan putus asa dalam mencari istri yg sesuai dengan keiginannya, Deverel meminta bantuan bibinya yg eksentrik. Menurut bibinya: Phoebe Malleson adalah wanita yg cocok untuk dirinya, sempurna dalam segala hak, berasal dari keluarga baik baik, menarik dan bersemangat, tak memiliki kekurangan, memiliki mas kawin yg bagus, dengan didikan yg tepat dan pantas, cer
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • The Wedding Night of an English Rogue (Boscastle, #3)
  • Wed Him Before You Bed Him (School For Heiresses #6)
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • The Prince's Bride (Effingtons, #4)
  • Slightly Tempted (Bedwyn Saga, #4)
  • The Sinner Who Seduced Me (Regency Rogues, #3)
  • His Wicked Kiss (Knight Miscellany, #7)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie
More about Stephanie Laurens

Bastion Club (8 books)
  • The Lady Chosen (Bastion Club, #1)
  • A Gentleman's Honor (Bastion Club, #2)
  • A Lady of His Own (Bastion Club, #3)
  • A Fine Passion (Bastion Club, #4)
  • Beyond Seduction (Bastion Club, #6)
  • The Edge of Desire (Bastion Club, #7)
  • Mastered By Love (Bastion Club, #8)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • To Dream (The Broken Roads #4)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ghouls Rush In (Peyton Clark, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • To Trust (The Broken Roads #1)
  • A Falling Star
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Just Grace (Oklahoma Land Rush, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Nailed (Worked Up, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Montana Cherries (Montana Wildes, #1)
  • The Lake House
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Velvet (The Promised Land #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fated (Servants of Fate, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Emma's Folly (Oklahoma Land Rush, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Redemption (The Love's Valley #4)
  • In the Cards
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tilly (The Drifters & Dreamers #2)